Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2016 3:47 AM

Feb 2013
Hi. Wanted to ask your oppinion on this subject. As we know BD version usually offers superior quality and no censorship, whereas TV versions usually are censored (I'll post a few examples for people who, or rather if they do not know).

TV and BD comparisons:

As you can see the difference is there, sometimes minimal sometimes quite huge.

I personally wait for Blu Ray to come out. I wait months for anime to finish airing and then usually few more months for BD to come out, usually 1 BD volume comes out once a month (depending on anime can be like 6 volumes in total) so it's quite a painfull wait if I'm interested in that anime :'(

How about you guys?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 23, 2016 3:58 AM

Oct 2007
Unless I really want to watch something as it airs, I'll always wait for the BD release. While not every show is fixed up for BD, they usually are and are so worth the wait. Ore Twintails is one of the best examples out there of this imo.
Oct 23, 2016 7:17 AM

Jul 2014
it depends cause they might make it more better on blue ray... :/ if its censorship then ill definitely wait for the Blue ray version cause it just gets in the way of viewing and its annoying..
Oct 23, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2013
AnimeAddict117 said:
it depends cause they might make it more better on blue ray... :/ if its censorship then ill definitely wait for the Blue ray version cause it just gets in the way of viewing and its annoying..

Totally agree here. Whenever there is gore or some hints of ecchi I wil always wait for BD to avoid censorship. As for other anime I watched some TV versions in the past but right now I only watch BD releases...
Oct 23, 2016 9:26 AM

Aug 2013
It depends. I usually wait for the seasonal shows I like to finish to see them, but
for example, BnHA's BD's started to show great improvement over the TV version, so
I'm waiting for it to release completely. I guess I'll rewatch DiU when all the BD's
of it come too, since the latest episodes are sucking a bit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2016 9:28 AM

Jan 2008
Only for some ecchi shows because there's a lot more plot in the BDs.
Oct 23, 2016 11:19 AM

Oct 2015
For anime made in bluray aera, on German TV we sometimes (often?) actually get to see the bluray version.
-----------------------

It took me a while to notice how the TV episodes had 2 extra minutes or sth., and I find it highly annoying how these "extra contents" were not "extra-made", but by their looks these "extra contents" were there from the start and then cut only to provide incent to purchase the blurays.
I am referring to genuine episode-parts, not "specials". Pretty much like "Downloadable" content for games that actually was there all the time, only locked.

I noticed this first in Highschool DxD.
MAL has its data for the original Japanese (or whatever) TV version : ~24 minutes per episode
German TV/ bluray : ~26 minutes per episode.

Subtracting the OP and ED, the bluray episodes have about 10% more content, character interaction and whatnot - so much some character changes actually made a little more sense/ at least got a little more time to develop.

this also btw. kind of breaks MAL's "time-watched" anime-list thingy.
BannoBunka_snorkOct 23, 2016 11:24 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 23, 2016 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
I usually watch it a few years later and then decide it's not that good. So, Blu-ray version.

I mostly prefer official subs anyway. Fansubbers are pretty unprofessional the majority of the time.

Oct 23, 2016 12:56 PM

Aug 2016
,, I chose both of them.... ...... ~~

~ Life sucks ~
Oct 23, 2016 12:57 PM

Aug 2016
blu-ray for a better quality but I won't mind watching it on TV

~ Life sucks ~
Oct 23, 2016 12:58 PM

Aug 2015
I decide depending on the "content" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 23, 2016 12:59 PM

Jan 2015
I had no idea about this. So what we watch on sites like CR is a lower quality compared to BD?! I knew censoring was a thing, but I had no idea we were getting a lower quality product on stream.
Oct 23, 2016 1:02 PM

Aug 2014
Ezekiel said:
I usually watch it a few years later and then decide it's not that good. So, Blu-ray version.

I mostly prefer official subs anyway. Fansubbers are pretty unprofessional the majority of the time.

I mean, there is mostly official subs for airing stuff w/ crunchyroll and all those streaming sites. But yeah, fansubbers usually don't take the translating serious enough.
Oct 23, 2016 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
I just watch seasonal anime as it airs but I don't see the point in watching ecchi anime or violent anime with censoring. I'd be likely to just wait for the uncensored version/Blu-ray version of the anime then.
Oct 23, 2016 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
Only if I want to screencap a series do I generally download BD versions. Or if it's a theatrical movie that can only really be viewed in HD via bluray rip.
Oct 23, 2016 1:28 PM

Aug 2013
If it's ecchi , harem , fan-service. I gonna wait for BD for the "plot"
Oct 23, 2016 1:35 PM

Jun 2014
If something I want to see is licensed in North America, I'll wait for the DVD, not the Blu-Ray, because I don't do Blu-Ray.

Oct 23, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2015
I watch both. I watch it normally first but IF it comes out on BD in my area, i'm obviously going to get it

Oct 23, 2016 1:40 PM

Aug 2013
If it's a completed show, i always watch bluray cuz it usually has art/animation fixes and edits. But if it's currently airing, or completed but there's no bluray out yet, i just watch the TV.
Oct 23, 2016 3:07 PM
Dec 2014
i wait for the dub or until the series is finished and does not receive one
Oct 23, 2016 7:20 PM

Jul 2014
always wait for the BDrips if ecchi, otherwise stream like a pleb.
Oct 23, 2016 7:22 PM
Dec 2014
BD's for me, gotta get that good quality (Y)
Oct 23, 2016 11:23 PM

Jul 2012
On shows I assume won't have censoring and catch my interest I watch them as they air, otherwise I wait until some vague period after the blu-rays release. But I don't rewatch most shows when they release on blu ray so none of the above I guess but more towards TV.
Oct 23, 2016 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
BD = uncensored :D
hehhe yes! i'll purchase echi blu ray.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 24, 2016 4:06 AM

Apr 2010
TV, BD... I really don't care. Anything goes.

Oct 24, 2016 4:09 AM

Apr 2013
I always wait for the Blueray-Release so i can enjoy it in 1080 and without censorship. It's especially bad with some ecchi shows.
Oct 25, 2016 3:32 AM

Feb 2013
Huh, as expected TV version is winning but did not expect it to win but such a high ammount.

Anyways I saw a couple of you mentioned "streaming sites". I personally always download anime, never watch it online. Usually go on nyaa.se or something similar, lots of fansubs upload there.
Oct 25, 2016 4:03 AM

Dec 2012
For TV shows I watch the legal stream of it as it airs first and if I rated it highly (at least an 8 or above) I add it the show to my DVD/BD collection and watch it again or as many times I want. You can find pretty much everything streaming legally here in the states and I prefer any legal option first.

For movies I usually wait for the physical release like all non-Japanese to watch them because I don't live in Japan and can't see them in theater.
KruszerOct 25, 2016 4:10 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 25, 2016 5:00 AM
May 2009
Depends.

Attack makes sense to wait, since Violence and gore usually = censorship

But than stuff that is slice of life and comedy, tend to have no censorship issues so I just watch as they complete.

It depends on the genre for me.
Oct 25, 2016 5:42 AM

Feb 2016
If I start watching a seasonal show and the censorship is obvious or over the top, I'll put it on hold and wait until the BD comes out so I can find it uncensored. I won't wait unless it's going to be worth it, though. If it's a heavy-ecchi show with really obvious censoring like Shinmai Maou no Testament I'll wait, but if it's just a single bath scene with light beams in an otheriwse fanservice-light show, it's not worth putting it off just for a glimpse of nipples.

I had no idea that overall art quality was impacted, though. That Ore Twintail comparison is insane. I might rethink keeping up with so many seasonals if the actual art is being affected.
Oct 25, 2016 6:09 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really watch shows when they air so yeah...
Oct 25, 2016 6:12 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Blu-Ray? Ain't nobody got time for that?

lol I remember that Ore no Twintails's sudden low quality animation, it was on 10th episode IIRC

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Oct 25, 2016 6:56 AM

Feb 2013
Kruszer said:
For TV shows I watch the legal stream of it as it airs first and if I rated it highly (at least an 8 or above) I add it the show to my DVD/BD collection and watch it again or as many times I want. You can find pretty much everything streaming legally here in the states and I prefer any legal option first.

For movies I usually wait for the physical release like all non-Japanese to watch them because I don't live in Japan and can't see them in theater.

Well I don't live in the states and I prefear to download as I can always have an option of watching through tablet or phone if needed. And here where I live we don't have anime stuff selling and shipping from Japan or America is not an option...

Correct me if I'm wrong but downloading fansubs is not illegal?
Oct 25, 2016 7:15 AM

Feb 2013
Noraf46 said:
If I start watching a seasonal show and the censorship is obvious or over the top, I'll put it on hold and wait until the BD comes out so I can find it uncensored. I won't wait unless it's going to be worth it, though. If it's a heavy-ecchi show with really obvious censoring like Shinmai Maou no Testament I'll wait, but if it's just a single bath scene with light beams in an otheriwse fanservice-light show, it's not worth putting it off just for a glimpse of nipples.

I had no idea that overall art quality was impacted, though. That Ore Twintail comparison is insane. I might rethink keeping up with so many seasonals if the actual art is being affected.

Yeah art is affected sometimes difference is smaller sometimes larger. Some other eamples I remember from more recent animes is Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru season 2 I was watching TV version when it was airing and there was at least 1 episode when art was downgraded and it was quite obvious. Then there was Dragon Ball super episode where art was also worse than previous ones. I avoid TV versions now...

Here, quite obvious:

As for censorship sometimes tv companies get very smart about censoring and sometimes one would not even think that is was censored like putting some furniture in the way etc or lifting the skirt slightly less so youcan't see the panties etc...

Or like this, looks legit with censorship:

PzKpfw_VI_TigerOct 25, 2016 7:23 AM
Oct 25, 2016 4:06 PM

Dec 2012
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
Kruszer said:

Well I don't live in the states and I prefear to download as I can always have an option of watching through tablet or phone if needed. And here where I live we don't have anime stuff selling and shipping from Japan or America is not an option...

Technically it is illegal in most countries because it violates international copyright law, but the chances of being arrested for it are very small and the people the authorities go after are usually the uploaders not the downloaders. Legal downloading services exist in some countries but I don't know any besides iTunes that offers anime, and the files you get are heavily encrypted to only work on a certain machine, in a certain country, and only playable on iTunes's video player.

I'm not going to complain about anyone doing it if they don't have any legal choice though. I mean, even with all the things we get here stuff still falls through the cracks and I have to download or stream it illegally if I want to watch it. This season for instance, there is no legal way to watch Vivid Strike without pirating it if you don't live in Japan, same with Macross Delta from last season.
KruszerOct 25, 2016 4:18 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 25, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2015
Looking for.. "I watch whatever is available.." option
Oct 25, 2016 5:42 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not very picky about art quality. But censorship does get annoying (gore, nudity ect.) but one critique i have about cr is they should be labeling their t.v anime 1080i and not 1080p.
Oct 25, 2016 5:51 PM

Jul 2016
I usually just watch whatever is easiest for me. If I can't wait, I'll watch the TV. If I can, and I want to indulge the series, Blu-ray.
I usually prefer Blu-ray, as it has no censorship and a higher quality.
Have a nice day, thanks for reading my opinion.
Oct 25, 2016 6:10 PM

Mar 2016
If an anime really impresses me I'll buy it. It's nice to be able to know how good it is beforehand tho.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Oct 25, 2016 6:52 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
TV unless the blue ray has uncensored nudity that the TV did not, then both.
Oct 25, 2016 8:17 PM
Apr 2015
If I haven't watched a certain show yet then I watch the BDs if it's available, otherwise for current airing anime, I watch the TV and sometime in the future, If I feel like rewatching it, watch the BDs.
Oct 25, 2016 8:43 PM

Oct 2011
Real niggas watch in 240p because quality is a shallow thing.
Oct 25, 2016 8:46 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I mostly watch it when it airs. But I don't mind waiting for some to hit BD.
Oct 25, 2016 8:47 PM

Jul 2015
I watch the pervy shit when it come out in BDs since I need to see the nips and stuff, but otherwise, I don't really care.
Oct 25, 2016 8:48 PM
Dec 2011
I'll never support the anime industry.
Oct 25, 2016 9:28 PM
Apr 2015
Griffith said:
I'll never support the anime industry.

When did supporting the anime industry come into this?
Oct 26, 2016 8:30 AM

Feb 2013
Kruszer said:
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:

Technically it is illegal in most countries because it violates international copyright law, but the chances of being arrested for it are very small and the people the authorities go after are usually the uploaders not the downloaders. Legal downloading services exist in some countries but I don't know any besides iTunes that offers anime, and the files you get are heavily encrypted to only work on a certain machine, in a certain country, and only playable on iTunes's video player.

I'm not going to complain about anyone doing it if they don't have any legal choice though. I mean, even with all the things we get here stuff still falls through the cracks and I have to download or stream it illegally if I want to watch it. This season for instance, there is no legal way to watch Vivid Strike without pirating it if you don't live in Japan, same with Macross Delta from last season.

Never though that fansubs could be illegal as fans themselves translate stuff not avaliable or orientated for westerners. Well I don't really have much options as manga and anime is not sold in my country from what I know so I don't feel bad for downloading it, if Japan started selling stuff here then yeah. (tho I know that more popular oldschool stuff like Dragon Ball manga is translated and sold here).

Anyways piracy is rampant in my country and nobody give a flying fck unlike say in germany. There was some activity trying to close one of most popular local torrent sites but the ones trying to close it got ridiculed and achieved nothing (they still have not given up apparently).
Oct 26, 2016 8:31 AM

Feb 2013
IndexXx said:
Looking for.. "I watch whatever is available.." option

That would be 1st option more or less.

NeonNinja said:
I usually just watch whatever is easiest for me. If I can't wait, I'll watch the TV. If I can, and I want to indulge the series, Blu-ray.
I usually prefer Blu-ray, as it has no censorship and a higher quality.
Have a nice day, thanks for reading my opinion.

Uhh you're welcome? ;D

WeepingLala said:
That depends on what show. If it's a show like To Love-Ru, I wait for BDs to come out. Censorship is no fun.

Yeah there would not be much to watch if they censored that as that anime is literally tits everywhere ayyy
PzKpfw_VI_TigerOct 26, 2016 8:35 AM
Oct 26, 2016 8:34 AM

Feb 2016
I watch the TV version because I stream
Oct 26, 2016 8:36 AM

Feb 2013
BlueKite said:
Real niggas watch in 240p because quality is a shallow thing.

OneNaughtyBear said:
I watch the TV version because I stream

Tokyo Ghoul avatar. Don't tell me you watched censored TV version of Tokyo Ghoul xD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

86 by LostSpectre »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

31 by Haneken2086 »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 57 minutes ago

5 by tchitchouan »»
5 minutes ago

» What's the last bad anime you've watched? ( 1 2 )

MechaFanBoy1979 - Mar 17

82 by ScarRufus »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

89 by Israel_Is_Evil »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.