Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2016 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Every user I come across has given his films mostly 7s and a few 9s. However, it's usually Princess Mononoke that has a 9 whereas the rest of his films like Spirited Away and Nausicaä are given 7s? I mean, why? They're all good films in their own respects. The guy has made nothing but good movies. I even grew up watching them and was impressed by how appealing and visually impressive they were.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2016 3:28 AM

Sep 2014
7 is by no means a bad score so I don't know what your talking about OP. Also why does it matter what other people score shows, its their opinion.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Oct 22, 2016 3:28 AM

Aug 2014
because people didn't like his movies as much as other ones, I guess. 7 still means good either way, and i haven't really watched much ghibli myself, so i can't tell.
Oct 22, 2016 3:30 AM

Jan 2011
No idea at all. I think the man is a genius. He is my in my top 5 of all time animation creators and easily my favorite guy in the anime business. I should make an effort to look up the names of these guys that make the shows that I love so much. anyway dude is awesome and is as good as Chuck Jones and Danny Antonucci.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.

Sep 2009
It's because most people nowadays don't understand classic animation and are addicted to pointy angles, moeblobs, or oppai shenanigans.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.

Oct 2015
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm pretty sure Ponyo is Miyazaki's only feature length film to have a mean score lower than 8.00 on MAL.

Spirited Away is also in the top 50, and is the third highest rated movie on MAL.
Oct 22, 2016 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Menzo- said:
7 is by no means a bad score so I don't know what your talking about OP. Also why does it matter what other people score shows, its their opinion.

I get that it's their opinion, but why is it a 7?
Oct 22, 2016 3:33 AM

Jan 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
It's because most people nowadays don't understand classic animation and are addicted to pointy angles, moeblobs, or oppai shenanigans.
Yeah......that is pretty much the modern anime fan's needs.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 22, 2016 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
ExpertoCrede said:

Why don't you go read a review of someone who rated it with the score of 7.
Oct 22, 2016 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
FullmetalPenguin said:
ExpertoCrede said:

I haven't had the time due to sickness.
Oct 22, 2016 3:44 AM

Aug 2015
ExpertoCrede said:
FullmetalPenguin said:

I don't know which score system are you using but according to MAL 7 means good.

Sep 2014
ExpertoCrede said:
Menzo- said:

Because that's what they decided it was worthy of.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"

Jan 2016
Lobinde said:
Spirited Away is also in the top 50, and is the third highest rated movie on MAL.

You know there is something wrong when a Gintama movie is in the top 3.
Oct 22, 2016 3:51 AM

Nov 2013
ExpertoCrede said:
FullmetalPenguin said:

If you have the time to make a thread commenting about their ratings you should have the time to read their reviews.

But in any case... many of Hayao Miyazaki movies are in the top animes. And Hayao Miyazaki has 26060 favorites, so I don't get why you're asking "Why is Hayao Miyazaki always downvoted?" as if he is being underrated.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 22, 2016 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
pkKodama said:
ExpertoCrede said:

If you have the time to make a thread commenting about their ratings you should have the time to read their reviews.

But in any case... many of Hayao Miyazaki movies are in the top animes. And Hayao Miyazaki has 26060 favorites, so I don't get why you're asking "Why is Hayao Miyazaki always downvoted?" as if he is being underrated.

I have a very busy schedule and can only visit for a couple of minutes. A lot of stuff is rushing my mind and I have shit to do.
Oct 22, 2016 4:03 AM

Nov 2013
@ExpertoCrede

Oh, ok.
Btw, we have the same birthday.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 22, 2016 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
pkKodama said:
@ExpertoCrede

Oh, ok.
Btw, we have the same birthday.

Yes I figured. I've seen a lot of Aquariuses on this forum. Even more than I've met in real life.
Oct 22, 2016 4:09 AM

Aug 2015
Downvoted? Heh.. 7 is 2 points above the rating called average ( 5) so why would that be Downvoted?? ( not that anyone uses mal scales anyway)

Anyways,
"Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake!" - Anime
Oct 22, 2016 4:10 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
probably because that man is the original anime elitist lol
Oct 22, 2016 4:13 AM

Apr 2016
Maybe out of spite that he hates or community?
Oct 22, 2016 4:14 AM

Jul 2015
>Whines about people's scores
>Has set his list to private

I smell a trolling attempt here.
Oct 22, 2016 4:15 AM

Oct 2013
Well I don't like him because of this....

ok now joking aside I was unaware his movies were down voted but if they really are isn't it because of this meme?
Oct 22, 2016 4:15 AM

Aug 2013
Mostly it's because the movies aren't as good. When it comes to his movies, they are never compared to all other movies but to all of his best movies, which are usually masterpieces, so the other ones do tend to get a little bit underrated, but it's not by much.
Oct 22, 2016 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
Clebardman said:

I have a right to privacy, anyway. Also, I'm not whining. I'm just wondering because I find it surprising how people tend to score his movies lower than an 8 or 9. I always found him to be a nice guy with amazing concepts but I am surprised to see how some people rate him with a 7, deeming him average. Also, if I were trolling, i would be too busy contemplating how people who rate him with that specified rating have "shit taste." Everyone has their own taste and I respect them for it, so before you judge someone by saying something simple, think twice about it. Exeunt.
removed-userOct 22, 2016 5:45 AM
Oct 22, 2016 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
Valenthius said:
Mostly it's because the movies aren't as good. When it comes to his movies, they are never compared to all other movies but to all of his best movies, which are usually masterpieces, so the other ones do tend to get a little bit underrated, but it's not by much.

Finally, someone who listens to what I say.
Oct 22, 2016 4:18 AM

Jul 2013
Almost every Miyazaki film is over 8 imo, tho some are better than others (Kiki, nausicaa, wind, spirited, porco rosso).

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 22, 2016 4:23 AM

Aug 2013
ExpertoCrede said:
Valenthius said:

Finally, someone who listens to what I say.
Dude, it's a fact and it happens to every director of any medium who has made more then one very good thing in his/hers lifetime.
Oct 22, 2016 4:24 AM
Aug 2015
Everything he's made, with the exception of Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke (haven't seen The Wind Rises), is either good (7-8) or mediocre (5-6). None of his films lack heart (like most anime made nowadays by most studios), but most of them do lack captivating stories. I personally think he's probably the most overrated anime director of all time, but that's only due to his popularity in the West. He's a great filmmaker and I wish he was still working today.
Oct 22, 2016 4:47 AM

Oct 2014
My guess will have to be that Princess Mononoke holds two key points that the rest of his other films lack. (or at least doesn't reach the same scale as Mononoke)

- Popularity
- More exciting story

Spirited away and Howl's Moving Castle may have just as much if not more popularity, but they have a more family friendly theme which ultimately results in a less impactful journey and ending compared to Princess Mononoke while Nausicaa which may have an equally impactful ending, simply is too old for the modern anime view's to tolerate.
Oct 22, 2016 4:48 AM

Feb 2014
88% of people who have rated Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi have given it a score of 8 or higher, what are you talking about?
Oct 22, 2016 4:53 AM

Mar 2015
because surprise... people have different opinion.. (i have no right to judge it since i don't really like movies in general)
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 22, 2016 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
Punkero said:
88% of people who have rated Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi have given it a score of 8 or higher, what are you talking about?

I'm talking about the 12% that give a lower rating. Listen, I respect everyone's opinion, regardless. I can understand people not liking Fullmetal Alchemist, Osamu Tezuka, Yes, Aphex Twin, Andrei Tarkovsky, etc. but Hayao Miyazaki comes off as a bit of a surprise. I feel like no one is listening to what I'm actually saying. When I come up with a topic like this, I don't expect people to say: "because...surprise...people have different opinion(s)..." or "I sense a troll" or whatever. I expect people to say:

"Because said person gave said movie a below-average rating because it did not appeal to it's liking."

THAT'S IT. That's all I want to hear from people. I want to hear REAL opinions about what they think of the movie.
Oct 22, 2016 5:24 AM

Jul 2015
Still trying to understand the point of this discussion.

The oldest ones are generally ignored by the "10/10 BEST ANIME EVER" crowd who overrates everything that gets released, so that's a factor. Maybe there's also the fact that most of his movies are quite similar and target an audience too broad to really hit the nail on the head for anyone.
DeathkoOct 22, 2016 7:40 AM
Oct 22, 2016 5:35 AM

Sep 2016
ExpertoCrede said:
pkKodama said:

If you have the time to make a thread commenting about their ratings you should have the time to read their reviews.....

I have a very busy schedule and can only visit for a couple of minutes. A lot of stuff is rushing my mind and I have shit to do.

But yet you have time to be on here for over an hour explaining why you don't have time to read reviews...
As for your right to privacy, you are correct, you have that, same as everyone that rated some show or movie lower than you think it deserves. So quit trying to be all in their business, you don't have time for it, you "have shit to do", right?

As I've seen asked in the forums numerous times.. Why the f*** are you worried about why someone doesn't think the same as you?

OT: Everyone's taste will have some difference to everyone else's.
Why do some people downvote some food you really like? Shouldn't you be over there asking the same thing?
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Oct 22, 2016 5:38 AM

Mar 2016
He has set the bar so high and has so much hype for his work. Had a Miyazaki film just landed out of nowhere and into my blu-ray player (which would beat the crap outta Crunchy Roll) and I watched it with no preconceptions or knowledge of what it was or what it was about or even that he was involved, odds are I would go 8+ in my rating.

But when a lot of my Anime friends tell me "You gotta see this! You gotta see this! It's the best thing since the water slides, ice cream, ribs, and fan service!" I'm gonna expect a lot. And I'll probably say it was just good, not great,. i.e. a 7 rating. And I have to admit, it's one of the reasons I have avoided most of his films because, like cookies fresh outta the oven, they're still too hot to touch. When they cool down, I'll watch them.

Now I'm gonna go check for a mystery disc in my blu-ray player.
Mrs. Landingham, what's next?
Oct 22, 2016 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
Older_than_dirt said:
ExpertoCrede said:

But yet you have time to be on here for over an hour explaining why you don't have time to read reviews...
As for your right to privacy, you are correct, you have that, same as everyone that rated some show or movie lower than you think it deserves. So quit trying to be all in their business, you don't have time for it, you "have shit to do", right?

As I've seen asked in the forums numerous times.. Why the f*** are you worried about why someone doesn't think the same as you?

OT: Everyone's taste will have some difference to everyone else's.
Why do some people downvote some food you really like? Shouldn't you be over there asking the same thing?
GarlandReese said:
He has set the bar so high and has so much hype for his work. Had a Miyazaki film just landed out of nowhere and into my blu-ray player (which would beat the crap outta Crunchy Roll) and I watched it with no preconceptions or knowledge of what it was or what it was about or even that he was involved, odds are I would go 8+ in my rating.

But when a lot of my Anime friends tell me "You gotta see this! You gotta see this! It's the best thing since the water slides, ice cream, ribs, and fan service!" I'm gonna expect a lot. And I'll probably say it was just good, not great,. i.e. a 7 rating. And I have to admit, it's one of the reasons I have avoided most of his films because, like cookies fresh outta the oven, they're still too hot to touch. When they cool down, I'll watch them.

Now I'm gonna go check for a mystery disc in my blu-ray player.

The thing is, I've already read their reviews.
Oct 22, 2016 5:43 AM

Sep 2014
ExpertoCrede said:
Clebardman said:

I have a right to privacy, anyway. Also, I'm not whining. I'm just wondering because I find it surprising how people tend to score his movies lower than an 8 or 9. I always found him to be a nice guy with amazing concepts but I am surprised to see how some people rate him with a 7, seeming him average. Also, if I were trolling, i would be too busy contemplating how people who rate him with that specified rating have "shit taste." Everyone has their own taste and I respect them for it, so before you judge someone by saying something simple, think twice about it. Exeunt.

Ummm, 7 is seeing as average?
7 is a GOOD score.
Oct 22, 2016 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
Imaishi said:
ExpertoCrede said:

I have a right to privacy, anyway. Also, I'm not whining. I'm just wondering because I find it surprising how people tend to score his movies lower than an 8 or 9. I always found him to be a nice guy with amazing concepts but I am surprised to see how some people rate him with a 7, seeming him average. Also, if I were trolling, i would be too busy contemplating how people who rate him with that specified rating have "shit taste." Everyone has their own taste and I respect them for it, so before you judge someone by saying something simple, think twice about it. Exeunt.

Ummm, 7 is seeing as average?
7 is a GOOD score.

I was on my phone and it had stupid ass autocorrect. I meant to write "deeming." I will fix it.
Oct 22, 2016 6:03 AM

Jun 2015
Cause some of his stuff is overrated?
Oct 22, 2016 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
This thread isn't going anywhere so we might as well stop for now.
Oct 22, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2016
Miyazaki, as great as he is, is a very inconsistent man. He's got some 10s (Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky), and he's got some 5s (Ponyo). Luckily, the good far outweighs the painfully mediocre.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Oct 22, 2016 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
ExpertoCrede said:
FullmetalPenguin said:

You don't have a spare 2 minutes to read a review but you had time to create this thread and respond to comments?
Oct 22, 2016 6:29 AM

Aug 2013
Not everyone likes his films that much. I mean, this is kinda common sense, but
everyone has different tastes in anime (and well, any media), and Miyazaki
films are not an exception.
IMO, Kiki's Delivery Service would be a greater film if it focused more on just
Kiki's life instead of bringing that forced "romantic" plot with that annoying guy.

Though I have to say I respect him a lot for his really good treatment on female
characters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2016 6:35 AM

Jan 2016
Zelkiiro said:
Miyazaki, as great as he is, is a very inconsistent man. He's got some 10s (Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky), and he's got some 5s (Ponyo). Luckily, the good far outweighs the painfully mediocre.

If you have a long career like Miyazaki i think it's normal to have some mediocre works.

Imho his masterpiece is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga.
Oct 22, 2016 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
ExpertoCrede said:

You don't have a spare 2 minutes to read a review but you had time to create this thread and respond to comments?

I've already read reviews in advance so it's over and done with. Besides, I have severe insomnia because of my medications.
Oct 22, 2016 7:02 AM

Apr 2015
Because he said that anime was a mistake.
Oct 22, 2016 7:12 AM

Oct 2014
are we considering 7 a bad score?
and the most universally praised by critics anime director is being dwonvoted now?
Oct 22, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2014
I have no idea what you're on about, Miyazaki easily has the biggest circle-jerk in the anime community and all of his movies besides Ponyo have a mean score above 8/10 (hell Ponyo has 7.93 so it's pretty much there too).
I also fail to see how a 7 is "downvoting" someone since it literally means good.
Oct 22, 2016 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
Simply put, his popularity hurts him.

He's probably the only anime director that even non-anime fans instantly recognize, and because of that, he's considered the ultimate "pleb" bait.

Especially on MAL, which has a somewhat large elitist crowd. Not enough to put his stuff below 8, mind you, but definitely enough to keep it off the top.
Oct 22, 2016 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
'7' is not a bad score, not at all.
5 or lower is a bad score.
...Unless you are one of those people who only use a 4 or 5 point rating system.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

47 by Toooooooooohru »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

49 by Lampblasted »»
2 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

42 by MichaelJackson »»
5 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 9 minutes ago

1 by Otakupervert890 »»
6 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

68 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.