Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 14, 2008 11:51 AM

Oct 2008
You know, your friend really likes this anime and they recommend it to you, or worse lend it to you, you unknowingly take it and it turns out to be just plain crap! ...but you don't want to tell them next time they ask that you couldn't finish it because it was one of the most horrible anime you've ever seen, so you just keep watching even though it's painful.

Recently two of my friends did this, I fell for it because they usually lend me good stuff. One was responsible for me watching FLCL and Evangelion, he's now lent me Mezzo DSA... <shudder>. The other kindly lent me Boogiepop Phantom, now it's Gintama...
I feel compelled to watch, yet repulsed
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 14, 2008 11:55 AM

Jul 2008
they try to

GINTAMA is fucking amazing btw!!

the first couple of episodes are just fillers
Nov 14, 2008 11:56 AM

Jul 2007
Reminds me of that one SZS episode. Only a couple of my friends actually watch anime, and only one is really into it. And he never recommends anything bad. You should just tell them to shut up and listen to your recommendations if your opinion of good is better than theirs.
Nov 14, 2008 11:58 AM

Sep 2008
This happened to me with Scryed, but I ended up liking it in the end. I remember I was about to drop it after one episode, but once I got to ep.2 and saw Straight Cougar, I had to keep watching. As long as I don't have to pay for it, I'm willing to give just about anything a shot...
Nov 14, 2008 11:59 AM

Apr 2007
GINTAMA IS AWESOME!!!

None of my friends watch anime so I defiantly have to say no. There is my anime watching cousin, but I already knew of every anime she suggested to me so she gave up. Now I recommend anime to her ;D
Nov 14, 2008 12:04 PM

Dec 2007
For me it happens all the time. I just watch it all and say them "this thing you recommended me was plain shit. Here is one of mine as revenge"
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 14, 2008 12:08 PM
Jun 2007
It happened only once (thankfully). My cousin recommended that I watch Tekken: the Motion Picture. Since he thought it was awesome, and coincidentally, I was a fan of the videogame franchise, I took his recommendation. Guess what? it turns out to be the worst piece of shit I have ever seen and is the sole title that I have given a 1/10 rating.
Nov 14, 2008 12:18 PM

Nov 2008
well, my best friend likes mech and watchs like all the gundam series. When I was younger, didn't own a laptop, he would always force me to watch gundam when i slept over.he would show me random "epic" battles of gundam even though i tell him I don't care.. Since no one goes to sleep at like 9 when they sleep over at a friends house, it's either play ps2 with he's cheating little bro or forced to watch random eps of robots fighting and not knowing who they are and why they are fighting -,-

I think b/c of him, I fear mech anime and avoids them -.-
hi
Nov 14, 2008 12:25 PM

Apr 2008
I got ambushed and forced to watch the Street Fighter movie (2 or something, it's on my list).

With a 40 year old man.
Nov 14, 2008 12:28 PM

Apr 2007
If a friend makes me watch a bad series, that person is not my friend.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2008 12:33 PM

Aug 2007
I totally tell my friends when an Anime sucks. We don't all have to have the same tastes.

Nov 14, 2008 12:39 PM

Oct 2008
Thanks for that Sugoi-otaku, at least now there's a light at the end of the tunnel as I've only seen the first couple of eps.

I may have already taken your advice ladyxzeus, I've lent the guy who gave me mezzo my fullmetal alchemist collection. Let's hope it dulls the blow when I let him know my thoughts, because I have to say mezzo=bad.

Yea you're right Motoko they are free, but I've watched 8 episodes of Mezzo! I can feel myself going through reverse evolution already! .. but Gintama does need more watching, I WAS told it's kinda like a mixture of FLCL and bleach and anything FLCL kicks ass
Nov 14, 2008 12:49 PM

Jul 2007
Let's see...

Fate/Stay Night - My old anime club was led by Type-Moon fanatics who hyped the everloving bejeezus out of it. When we started watching it, I wanted to smack them all.

Hellsing - TV series. Thank God I saw it on cable and didn't pay for it. So unfulfilling given the near-mainstream love for it.

Kanon - The original, before KyoAni made it their mission to correct this injustice against anime. Apparently, people liked it and people recommended it to me saying "oh my god it's the saddest anime you'll love it." It wasn't sad. I didn't cry. The KyoAni version did though, but because it actually invested enough time in the characters that it made sense to cry. Seriously, compare the two ways they did Makoto's arc. One is downright brutal on your emotions, and the other is brutally compacted into a single episode with no time to think about or even care about what's happening.

Saikano - Felt like 6 hours of someone pointing a gun to my head, yelling at me to cry. Forced, contrived, and one-dimensional. What a total letdown.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - The hype led me to suggest my club show some eps. They showed the first four and everyone, including me, thought it was hilarious. Too bad the subsequent 22 episodes don't even meausre up to that level of comedy.

Tsubasa Chronicle - I don't feel the need to comment here. If you've seen it, you already know.

My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Nov 14, 2008 3:35 PM

Apr 2008
Nothing at the moment and I hope it won't happen. I always watch what my friends are recommending.

Nov 14, 2008 3:43 PM

Oct 2007
Just tell them it dosnt fit your tastes, i dont think that will harm them in any way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2008 4:03 PM

Oct 2008
Splitter said:
Let's see...

Saikano - Felt like 6 hours of someone pointing a gun to my head, yelling at me to cry. Forced, contrived, and one-dimensional. What a total letdown.

yay, someone agrees!
Nov 14, 2008 4:12 PM

Jul 2008
Do your friends 'force' bad anime on you?

No they don't, because I have no friends.
Nov 14, 2008 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
onyx02 said:
Do your friends 'force' bad anime on you?

No they don't, because I have no friends.
you want a hug?

and no my friends do not watch anime.
Nov 14, 2008 4:30 PM

Jun 2008
HMMMMM.............

no, not a lot of my friends watch anime....I've had friends tell me to watch anime that is ecchi, but that's it... O__o
Nov 14, 2008 4:33 PM

Jun 2008
my brother forced me to watch Seto no Hanayome and Minami-ke. I didn't like SnH but Minami-ke was okay. And I was also forced to watch Lucky Star and FLCL and I hated both

BigSimo said:
Splitter said:
Let's see...

yay, someone agrees!

I agree too
Nov 14, 2008 7:07 PM

Oct 2008
No. If I don't want to watch it I just tell them so. I'm really, really picky about my anime and hate getting recommendations.
Nov 14, 2008 9:59 PM

Feb 2008
Sometimes. It's usually my friends who haven't seen much anime that recommend me total crap.
Nov 14, 2008 10:22 PM

Jul 2008
Neverender said:
If a friend makes me watch a bad series, that person is not my friend.
Nov 14, 2008 11:00 PM

May 2007
I'm more of the person who pushes the bad anime, I actually liked Mezzo DSA to be honest.

I don't take many suggesstions and if I do they mostly work, if they don't I stop watching, it is not like they sit you in front of a TV or computer and force you to watch.
My anime list
Nov 14, 2008 11:46 PM

Nov 2008
Hime Hime loads of gays
Nov 14, 2008 11:55 PM

Sep 2008
I, Have no RL anime friends, and my online ones only make suggestions.
Nov 14, 2008 11:58 PM

Sep 2007
eheheh, my friends usually count on me to do the recommending. I have a pretty good track record thus far (I think), though I occasionally mess up.
Nov 15, 2008 1:04 AM

Dec 2007
Also, has it ever happened to you a friend recommending so much a series that you end up hating it just for being tired of hearing of it?

It happened to me with Death Note. My friend talked non-stop about it 24/7, then she lent me the dvd. Compared to what she said the series was nothing special and I could not enjoy it.
Nov 15, 2008 1:22 AM
Jan 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Also, has it ever happened to you a friend recommending so much a series that you end up hating it just for being tired of hearing of it?

It happened to me with Death Note. My friend talked non-stop about it 24/7, then she lent me the dvd. Compared to what she said the series was nothing special and I could not enjoy it.
I wouldn't say the anime my friends recommend to me are bad, I just don't like how they heard about it, so I end up not watching them.

They keep talking about anime like Naruto and Death Note and of course they're referring to the English dubs because that's how they found out about them. If I were to take an anime recommendation seriously, the person who recommends it has to have found it themself, not because it's the thing that's popular at the moment.
Nov 15, 2008 1:39 AM

Oct 2007
Ha Ha this topic made me laugh this early in the morning :))

On the first side i usually don't really take recommendations , and if i do i give it like more then 3 thoughts before i decide what ever to watch or not ... so i cant say that friends push anime to me .... But on the other side ... i have a few friends over the internet ( the real life ones are really picky ) that are like new to this " trend " so i sometimes recommend them stuff that does not seem to fit them ( since they like lack the judgement to tell me what they want exactly ) and i sometimes push " stupid " series in their direction :)) .

It happened to me with Death Note. My friend talked non-stop about it 24/7, then she lent me the dvd. Compared to what she said the series was nothing special and I could not enjoy it

I know the feeling :)) ... had a friend who talked GINTAMA GINTAMA up and down only GINTAMA .... gave it a shot ... ended up not liking it and having the same WTF is this expression i had when i watched Azumanga :)) ... pretty annoying tho since till he found other series to talk about he kept " butchering " me with it .
Nov 15, 2008 6:38 AM

Jul 2008
If my friends ever recommend me anime I don't like, I just look them in the face after watching it and say 'this was crap'. The same goes for movies and music. We have very similar tastes though, so that doesn't happen very often.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 15, 2008 6:43 AM

May 2008
We all have different tastes. While I've been recommended with a lot of series, I just turn the offer down nicely and said "sorry, it happens to be not my kind of genre" or something like that. An anime you don't like isn't necessarily to be crap.
Nov 15, 2008 6:53 AM

Jun 2008
No anime friends in real life. Although one of my online friends does push anime on me, its not bad.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Nov 15, 2008 7:30 AM

Apr 2008
i don't have friends that force me to watch anime. actually, i hardly know anyone that watches anime, and if they do, they're usually 15,000km away from me.
Nov 15, 2008 7:51 AM

Apr 2007
Aarana said:
I totally tell my friends when an Anime sucks. We don't all have to have the same tastes.

Same here. A few of my anime watching friends I've known for quite a while (10+ years) so we generally know each others' tastes but sometimes it can be a miss. If a show one of my friends recommends turns out to be crap I just tell them. Likewise at times they've told me they don't like some of the show's I've recommended. Nobody gets offended or anything since we all know we won't necessarily like the same stuff.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 15, 2008 7:53 AM

Jul 2008
naikou said:
eheheh, my friends usually count on me to do the recommending. I have a pretty good track record thus far (I think), though I occasionally mess up.

same cause ive watched way more than them lol
Nov 15, 2008 8:29 AM

Sep 2008
Sugoi-otaku said:
same cause ive watched way more than them lol

just like me...I also have watched more than them hehe

Nov 15, 2008 8:42 AM

Jun 2007
yeah love hina. my friend loved it to death. i hate it t odetah so annoying and dumbbbbbbbb.

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Feb 2, 2010 12:51 PM

Jul 2009
Any anime that you literally had to put yourself in front of the comp/tv and it took all your might to sit there? If so were you happy you did so after you finished it? There must be others out there with ADD when it comes to a certain anime.
Feb 2, 2010 1:04 PM

Apr 2008
Yes It took me forever trying to fight my way through Naruto especially with all the fillers but after about almost three years of watching it off and on I finally finished it. Then I got excited....until I realized that I have to start watching the second season. Which by the time I finish watching it, I will probably be dead.
SevenFeb 2, 2010 1:42 PM
Feb 2, 2010 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
None yet, why force yourself to watch it?

Then again, I might try to finish Gravitation, I only have 2 more episodes of hell.
Feb 2, 2010 1:22 PM

Dec 2009
I never force myself to watch anime. If I don't like the series I'll just drop it.
Feb 2, 2010 1:48 PM

Dec 2007
So many things...

My most notable efforts, that I'm glad I finished because they turned good or awesome, were Texhnolize, Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd Gig (long story), Man Eater and Bartender. The first two were especially fantastic and I'm glad I forced myself into them.
Feb 2, 2010 1:54 PM

Dec 2009
I never drop a series, if I start something I have to see it all the way through. I had to force myself to keep watching Black Blood Brothers. It was an okay anime but I just always felt like I was missing half the story, I felt like they didn't explain half of what was in the manga (which I didn't read) so I had trouble following the storyline. I had to practically research the plot to understand it.
Feb 2, 2010 2:00 PM
Feb 2010
One piece.
The begging episodes were hell to sit through but it was definitely worth it.
Turned into my favorite series!
Feb 2, 2010 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
I once forced myself to keep watching Gintama for 23 episodes, and it wasn't quite as funny. I just wanted to catch up so I didn't really enjoy the eps themselves :(
Feb 2, 2010 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Right now I'm forcing myself to watch Toradora, but I think I'll just drop it. I find the story boring and the characters incredibly annoying.
Feb 2, 2010 2:25 PM

Dec 2009
I forced myself to watch 8 episodes of School Rumble. there was no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.
Feb 2, 2010 2:29 PM

Jun 2008
Lucky Star comes to mind, honestly I didn't give a shit about the main show I just sat through each episode so I could watch the Lucky Channel segment of the show. God the Lucky Channel segments were hilarious.

I also kind of forced myself to watch Gintama until I got to episode 24. After I saw the Death Note parody I became hooked and it seemed like the more episodes I watched, the more I loved it.
Feb 2, 2010 2:37 PM

Apr 2008
I am so glad I forced myself to start Texhnolyze. It took me three tries to get past the third episode, but it was worth it. It was one of the most hauntingly beautiful things I have ever seen.

Recently, I forced myself to finish Clannad, so that I could watch After Story. I still have yet to see how that will play out, but it had better be good, because the first series was just painful.

Mushishi was another one I had to muscle my way through, but overall it was quite satisfying. The general "sameness" of each episode made it hard to want to watch the next one, but oddly, I still enjoyed them all.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (18) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» please help me find this anime

supertitao - 3 seconds ago

0 by supertitao »»
3 seconds ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

25 by Otakupervert890 »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

30 by _Doofenshmirtz_ »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

33 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

32 by SemW0r1dXXX »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.