Forum Settings
Forums

Are waifu/loli avatars more accepted than other types of avatars by the anime community?

New
Are waifu/loli avatars more accepted by the anime community than other avatars?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 20, 2016 5:56 PM
Mar 2016
HyperL said:
There's already a thread that tackles this topic on MAL right here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1427875
I think it's a different, but related, topic.
When I have time, I will put my waifu Chondroitin Sulfate Sodium Succinate-chan (or Sodium chondroitin sulfate-chan, whatever her name is) to my avatar.
Oct 20, 2016 6:09 PM

Mar 2015
i can't take it seriously when even OP profil is about pussy...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 20, 2016 6:13 PM

May 2015
Yes, I'm pretty sure. Honestly, most people do have cute anime girls as their avatars, so it feels normal just to hop on the bandwagon. And I have learned to assume everyone's male unless stated otherwise.
Eventually_Oct 20, 2016 8:30 PM
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 20, 2016 8:10 PM

Aug 2011
I haven't even had a single person mention my avatar other then asking who it is, and I use the same one for nearly all Forums and Steam etc.
^_^
Oct 20, 2016 8:45 PM

Mar 2014
It's more acceptable to be a pedophile than to dislike pedophiles in the anime community, so... yeah.
Oct 20, 2016 9:00 PM

Jun 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Aggron said:
Um, no. I would say they are accepted equally. Also I've never seen someone get flamed for their profile pic :p
Try picking up a profile pic of a real girl rather than an anime one

I can guarantee you'll be flamed to death within minutes

This. Some people on here get really butthurt when you use a real girl instead of an anime girl. I switched to a real girl for two days and lost four friends and was flamed for it. Pathetic.
Oct 20, 2016 9:06 PM
Jul 2016
I've never once seen anyone attacked for having a non-waifu/loli avatar. Maybe I just haven't been on here long enough.

In answer to the question about the assumptions I make: If I encounter someone who has a single character in his/her profile pic, I tend to subconsciously assume that said person's gender is the same as said character. As you can imagine, this rule of thumb frequently stabs me in the back while on MAL.

Exception to the above rule: If the user's profile pic/signature is blatantly sensual in nature, I automatically assume said individual is male. Sorry, guys.

Also, in the event that no clear cues about gender are available, it's anyone's guess what I'll assume.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 20, 2016 9:31 PM

Nov 2009
Eve778 said:
And I have learned to assume everyone's male unless stated otherwise.

I have learned to assume everyone is opposite gender to their avatar. Unless it's something like Guts, in which case they're just bad people.
When gender is actually relevant, I make a habit of checking the actual profile.

Phendrus said:
I've never once seen anyone attacked for having a non-waifu/loli avatar. Maybe I just haven't been on here long enough.

I agree with you. And I've been on AD subforum for quite a while.
In fact, the only time somebody was attacked for the avatar is CherryLover, who is female, strongly feminist, and has Sakura from Fate/Stay Night as an avatar, which sounds wrong because (Heaven's Feel route spoilers). But CherryLover herself finds Sakura relatable/symbolic or something while fully aware of her story.
Oct 20, 2016 9:58 PM

Oct 2015
I just want to say that I liked @dimethylanime's previous avatar more - it always gave their post such a ... errm ... adorably confused aura. :D

Oh, and the best one I've seen in MAL is this one :

--------------------
Else, no matter how your avatar looks, as long as it stays the same, or is of an easily recogniseable theme it sure helps seeing who posts at first glance.

Myself, I have not yet found my ultimate avatar. For the moment decided to stay with the "bläh!" theme, though.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 20, 2016 11:22 PM

Sep 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Aggron said:
Um, no. I would say they are accepted equally. Also I've never seen someone get flamed for their profile pic :p
Try picking up a profile pic of a real girl rather than an anime one

I can guarantee you'll be flamed to death within minutes
Lol Yeah I could see that happening :P
Oct 21, 2016 12:10 AM

Sep 2013
-Watermeloom- said:
i find the whole loli profile picture to be very annoying after a while. we get it, you like 12 year old animated girls. i also now feel like i'm literally the only one to have a profile pic of Wolfwood. wait... am i? that would be awesome if i wasn't.
I think I'm the only person I've seen with a Greed pic or Alicia pic :P
AggronOct 21, 2016 12:16 AM
Oct 21, 2016 12:13 AM

Apr 2015
I don't use my waifu as a forum avatar nor my sig so no.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

15 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

43 by Toooooooooohru »»
12 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

71 by AzafuseKingTora »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Vendicator »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.