Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 29, 2016 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
Taki-sensei's already married but his wife died 5 years ago and Reina doesn't know anything about Taki-sensei's past.
Niiyama-sensei is also married so that puts off ease to Reina.
Asuka's really good at her Euph! unlike Yoroizuka who play like a robot, Asuka plays with emotion.
4/5.

Oct 30, 2016 6:58 PM

Jan 2014
I hope Reina realizes that Kumiko is the one for her, and yuri happens.
Oct 30, 2016 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
TragicRomance said:

Where the hell is Tsukamoto tho. As great as Hibike is, I'm still going to be pretty pissed off if this doesn't follow the novels and reduce him to a minor character.

Admittedly I rarely miss Tsukamoto Shuuichi when he isn’t shown but to me he was notably absent among those who silently cheered for Kumiko after Taki makes it clear that she too will be playing the passage she had been struggling with. If Shuuichi cares for Kumiko - and I assume he does -although I dislike the way he approaches and treats her - he too probably had a reaction to that moment of acknowledgement. It felt like his response was unnaturally withheld from us when he did not show up in that line up of her closest friends that time. I did miss him there, probably for the first time. I wonder if his reaction to that announcement will somehow be shown later. It would seem odd to me if he wasn’t aware of the significance for her…
Nov 1, 2016 6:30 PM

May 2014
Good ep. even though I didn't fully understood why Nozomi-senpai was not able to rejoin. Was it because it would upset the other girl that were playing the same instrument? That's how I understood it, even though I think it's more behind those words that we yet don't know about.

Anyways, great to see that Reina-chan had the courage to ask about if Taki-sensei were in a relationship with that woman. I see that she still has the chance to win his heart (even I have a bad feeling that it will result rejection :'( ).

Now the only question is if Kumiko will tell the truth to Nozomi-chan, but I believe it's more than only making Mizore-chan angry.
mangalicker94Nov 1, 2016 6:34 PM
Nov 24, 2016 3:03 AM

Jul 2015
I see a lot of myself in this quote.

Dec 21, 2016 11:51 PM

Sep 2016
mm oumae chan has 2 big trump cards in her hand, the question is how will they be dealt, i wonder if theirs any way to cure yoroizuka of that trauma she has its really sad to witness. 5/5
Facta Non Verba
Jan 9, 2017 7:17 AM

Jul 2009
So Taki was married....I really wanted Kumiko to tell it to Reina, so she would give up...
Jan 19, 2017 10:07 PM

May 2012
Nice development! Some new and interesting character development again! Quite like that they still can bring these things up in this second season!

Looking forward to see what's next.
Jan 21, 2017 10:49 PM

Oct 2012
*squuezing Reina's face "I'll go"
Oumae x Reina, sail the ship please xD

Facing wall because if you don't see yourself no one can see you, nice one Kumiko xD

Well hate & don't like is definitely different
Hate is like 100%, don't like is about 50%.. So yeah xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 26, 2017 8:35 PM

Mar 2015
So much drama in this one. Not a bad thing, mind!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 29, 2017 1:07 AM
Mar 2012
lots of big reveals.
Kumiko the detective has 2 big secrets now (on Nozomi & Taki). Asuka rejects Nozomi considering Yoroizuka's strange trauma. She's allowed to play the part with Asuka now, level up.
Still don't like Asuka, & she's scary... 'it'll haunt u later' etc, but her reasons make sense. I wish Nozomi can help out like Monaka, but lone oboist is indeed too important too mess up.
"Even I'm not that much of a monster" Asuka.
Hawaiian sensei's candidness, focusing on expressive music. Aw telling the autist Yoroizuka plays like a robot. Unlike Reina, she dislikes competition. Maybe a wrench (Nozomi?) can spice up her play style. Surprised only 1 oboe, were the other oboists removed during audition or just not popular an instrument? I think my hs band had ~3.
Cheek squishy
ded wife & married Niiyama clarifies Reina's goals.
Tsukamoto lol your sad screentime. Kumiko's funny lines adding salt to Shuichi & Yuuko.
dat Asuka song
Apr 23, 2017 4:23 PM

Jun 2013
Guess what? Asuka is still a mystery. It's implied that she's not protecting Mizore out of empathy, but because she can't be replaced if she breaks down. At the same time, she has no reason not to tell Nozomi, beyond empathy. What is her deal?

Hashimoto struck me as just a dude who's trying to be hip with the kids, but he has some depths. He wants the band members to feel the music and make it personal, not just play it. He was probably brought on board to help the band form its own identity, that thing that will set it apart from the competitors, beyond the perfect delivery of music. He was also admittedly convenient as exposition, but he still looked like he genuinely cared about Taki sensei, so it was a nice moment anyways. He's kind of similar to Kumiko, blurting out things that he has no business talking about. Speaking of the girl in question, she still has no peripherral vision, and it's great.

For some reason, she's getting very closely involved with the Nozomi question; she continues to meddle and eavesdrop. Asuka fittingly asks her if she's a gossip, though we know Kumiko actually means well. In this episode, her personal arc mostly followed her debate over whether competitions are ultimately evil or not. I think Reina managed to convince her though. You should only criticize the jury system once you've "gotten good"? Well, maybe there is more to it than that. Reina probably gets these things from her father.

Kumiko did get a pretty big victory, as she was invited back on the "field", but it didn't seem to matter so much. Maybe she stopped worrying about it, or she's just so occupied with all the drama that she's gotten herself into.

Yuuko showed that she can be actually cool sometimes. Her obsessive loyalty to Kaori finally makes sense, and it's partially out of consideration for Natsuki that she wants to keep Mizore's true feelings a secret. She even bought Kumiko some juice! In any case, I can't really see any solution to this situation unless the truth comes out.

As I see it, Kumiko is presented with two dilemmas, and both are a choice between telling a secret that isn't hers to tell, or keeping silent and watching people be miserable. Though I'm not sure if Reina finding out that Taki used to be married would change anything about her feelings.

Reina explicitly asked Taki if he and Niiyama are an item. This could mean two things: Taki is either oblivious and he didn't realize that Reina has a thing for him, or he chose not to reject her. I mean, why else does he think she would ask a question like that? It's possible that it would be unethical for a teacher to bring up something like that, but I'm not sure how keeping her in the dark would be more ethical, especially since Reina already brought up an "inappropriate topic".
LeeTailorApr 23, 2017 4:39 PM
Nov 3, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2015
That Kumiko is one busybody character meddling in everyone's business she should focus on her euphonium. It annoying for me on how much she is meddling and the passion of the series has gone down.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 13, 2018 5:13 AM

Dec 2015
Much gossiping was done this episode which is a suitable way to unfold the story imo considering how the story is set in high school. Whether it feels right to throw Kumiko into the midst of all the drama is another question, she doesn't really seem to fit into all of it despite being the mc.

Lastly rip Shuichi, Reina's hinting of a late night affair was instantly shot down lol
~
Apr 25, 2018 1:36 PM

Nov 2016
Wow,quite many reveals this episode.

And lol @ Asuka.20 min break...hmm let's play some more xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 2, 2019 4:54 PM

Oct 2017
Aww that was sad to hear about Taki losing his wife. But at least he’s doing better now. And he’s not dating Niiyama so that’s good.

Asuka’s reasons for not accepting Nozumi are understandable, though I feel that there’s a lot more to the story than we were given.
Jun 22, 2019 1:06 AM

Feb 2018
Taki sensei's past is very sad. Reina ventured to ask Taki Sensei about love.
Dec 24, 2019 5:42 AM

Apr 2013
So we find out why Nozomi should not join the ensemble and the reason is understandable. Though we still need to know what the trauma behind Nozomi is.
Apr 5, 2020 8:09 PM

Feb 2019
It's great that Kumiko's improvement in her playing the euphonium is recognised and that she gets to play it alone with Asuka-senpai in the upcoming Kansai competition!

A lot of conversations this episode, each one I enjoyed.

The first was with Asuka-senpai. I honestly thought it was going to be something cynical like Asuka-senpai always says, but it turns out to be a rather reasonable reason. Seeing how Mizore is, having Nozomi around would indeed throw her out of balance.

Then the one with Yuuko. I honestly found that one interesting and I liked it, because it was like bridging the gap between Yuuko and Kumiko and although I don't think they're about to start liking each other, at least they're not as awkward anymore. Yuuko can be a bit annoying but I love how dedicated she is to her friends and the people she cares about like Mizore and Kaori-senpai. She's one heck of a friend.

And then the one with Hashimoto-sensei. I did not expect Taki-sensei to have been married and to have a wife who passed away. So that explains the picture we saw at the end of season 1 and the start of this season. Like an empty shell... It's always sad to hear something like that. But it's great that Taki-sensei seems to have found something meaningful he wants to do, so that he can move on with his life. I'm curious about what happened to his wife though. And I like how Hashimoto-sensei is funny and seems to be a bit of a comedian but he really cares about Taki-sensei as his friend.

One thing I don't get is if Reina knows so much about Taki-sensei from her dad, how can she not know that Taki-sensei was married?
Sep 6, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2015
Maybe it's just me but Hashimoto's critique on Mizore was vague, how does she make it more expressive if she's already playing it great?!? It's like saying to a student who scored a 9 that he/she should study more with passion but not how. Suprised to know Niiyama is already married and Taki's wife already passed away. Also to know that Nozomi can't join because Mizore has a trauma which they don't know off, which honestly would be better to tell them imo.

Oct 27, 2020 5:40 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
"I'm practically an adult, after all." Same bro, same.

Surprised that no one found out about taki-sensei's past until now, he must've done a good job hiding that.

Also our girl seems to have maxed out her stealth stat. She about to hold drax's beer

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 2, 2021 6:47 AM

Feb 2019
Seeing the girls whenever they scamper away after others walk towards then after eavesdropping is fun to watch.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Sep 26, 2022 3:40 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
WTF so the teacher had a wife that died 5 years ago? :o Anyway looks like the reason why Asuka didn't want Nozomi to join again is because Mizore actually hates her hmm
Aug 22, 2023 1:00 PM

May 2020
I'm not buying this, "just the mere appearance of Nozomi makes her fill sick", reasoning lol. I mean this is a music show with high-schoolers playing the characters, not a crime thriller where someone needs to loathe someone else because they killed their loving family.

Kumiko sucks at eavesdropping though, but it's always hilarious to see her doing or atleast trying to pull off the same. By the way it was obvious sensei was married.. he always looks over some photograph with a woman in it, who most probably was his wife.
Feb 25, 4:01 AM

May 2021
Kumiko is such an unintentional savage, just love all the moments she speaks the quiet part aloud.

Mar 20, 3:50 PM

May 2015
The concours are coming. Ganbare !
Mar 25, 7:08 AM
Mar 2018
I didn't expect that revelation about Mizore's feelings in regard to Nozomi, but it all makes perfect sense when looking back at the first episodes.

Kumiko's conversations with the senpai girls were pretty intense and very interesting. I hope some kind of compromise can be found!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

5 by lurking_darkness »»
Apr 20, 6:21 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.