Forum Settings
Forums

What would you do if you found out that your friend is a huge fan of an anime you hate?

New
Oct 18, 2016 2:40 PM
Nov 2015
I would never talk to that person again if he/she is a Fairy Tail fan

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 18, 2016 2:41 PM

Dec 2015
show them a better anime so they can realize how stupid they've been thinking their favorite anime is good obviously. But first i need a friend to actually do this
no
Oct 18, 2016 2:41 PM
Aug 2014
I would simply continue to co-exist.
Oct 18, 2016 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
accept what they like and suggest them anime that are alike would i come across any
Oct 18, 2016 2:46 PM

Feb 2016
Id bitch-slap him, remove him from facebook and never talk to again.

anidju said:
I would never talk to that person again if he/she is a Fairy Tail fan

I met a guy a few days ago whos a Fairy Tail fan, im not an anti-fan tho so I found it just disappointing.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 18, 2016 2:47 PM

Jan 2014
Friends of mine are huge fans of anime I hate. So, I'd probably just do nothing.
Really interesting signature
Oct 18, 2016 2:50 PM
May 2015
Would just let them enjoy what they enjoy, while they continue to let me enjoy what I enjoy, it's really not that big of a deal
Oct 18, 2016 2:52 PM

Sep 2009
I'd use eloquent words and impeccable reasoning to make him feel bad about himself.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 18, 2016 2:52 PM
May 2016
i would just show them an even better anime tbh
Oct 18, 2016 2:54 PM
Jul 2015
I wouldn't care because I'm not a child that judges people for their anime taste. I judge them for more reasonable things, like whether or not they like tacos.
Oct 18, 2016 2:59 PM

May 2010
I would drop my friend ...............
Oct 18, 2016 3:02 PM

Apr 2015
Already dealing with something quite similar to that.

The person I talk to most on here is a huge fan of Guilty Crown and Angel Beats. I am negative-to-neutral toward the first and neutral-to-positive to the second. That in itself isn't a problem, but the problem is that our tastes are almost exact opposites. I watch anime to be challenged, mentally stimulated, or entertained by a fascinating world and numerous characters with amazing duels of abilities, powers, ideologies, and mindsets. He has a higher preference for wish-fulfillment series, emotionally-based/friendship-based series, and detests anything that tries to be complex or deep. Add to that that I value Story, Enjoyment, and Characterizations as the third, second, and first most important aspects of a series, while he views music and art/animation as the largest and second largest aspect of anime, it makes things...difficult.

To compare, on everything in my favorites list, his ratings for them are:
Madoka Magica: 9
Serial Expierments Lain: 1
Neon Genesis Evangelion: 1
Code Geass: 7
FMA:B: 9
Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS: 5 (Last I saw)
Higurashi: 6 (Last I saw)
Kill-la-Kill: 1
Sailor Moon Season 1: 6

As opposed, I've only seen four of his favorites: Guilty Crown, Death Parade, FMA:B, and Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero, and my ratings for them are 5, 6, 9, and 8 respectively.

It's not all bad. We both have things we enjoyed (Bokurano), both have things we hate (FLCL), and things we found mediocre (One Week Friends). But alas, it's usually for different reasons.

Lastly, what we look for is relatively different. I'm relatively new to anime compared to him, and I want to find the more of the experimental stuff out there. He's...very comfortable in his niche, and usually views the more experimental stuff with disdain. This, coupled with the fact that I'm very detailed in my analysis of a series, while he's usually gives just a quick one-paragraph summary on a series, makes it a...strenuous friendship.

And yet it's great overall. Because of the sharp contrast, it's a great way for me to sharpen my skills of analysis, to have a nice friendly debate (When he is in the mood to debate), and I'm always getting interesting, if not necessarily fulfilling, recommendations. If not for him, I wouldn't have bothered with FMA:B or Lain (as much as he detests the latter), and he's helped me learn more about my tastes then anyone else.

TLDR: In a similar situation, so I recommend to stay friends with them. Sharpen each others skill of analysis and debate, and find something that you both agree on, rather it being a series being terrible, or great.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 18, 2016 3:07 PM

May 2016
Is this serious or is just a joke? If you stop talking with a friend just because you of one anime, then you were not his friend in the first place...Or rather, don't take friendship as something so weak that you can have with about everyone...Be more selective of who you choose to be friends with and avoid such dumb scenario...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 18, 2016 3:08 PM
Oct 2016
I wouldn't care in the slightest. Differing tastes can be important in a friendship.
Oct 18, 2016 3:09 PM

Sep 2015
Nothing. Because since the start, I knew that I have shit taste in anime.
Oct 18, 2016 3:12 PM

Oct 2016
I wouldn't really care. Unless he or she was trying to push it in my face, then I would tell them to stop it and carry on.
It takes all sorts and life would be boring if everyone had the same favorites and opinions about everything.
Oct 18, 2016 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
probably tell them everyday day that their favorite anime/waifu is shit
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Oct 18, 2016 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
I would just continue doing what I am already doing with my friends
Not talk about the show with him or her and bring up series we both enjoy
Oct 18, 2016 3:20 PM

Jan 2015
demonskul777 said:
accept what they like and suggest them anime that are alike would i come across any
I would also recommend some top quality anime that I think they would like.
Oct 18, 2016 3:21 PM
Jul 2016
What kind of twisted individual would shun a friend solely for liking an anime he/she didn't like?

Out of sheer protest at the idea, I'm going to start watching Fairy Tail and force myself to like it.

To more seriously answer to the question, though, unless it seems to be a sign of a dangerous personality defect, I'd continue to be said person's friend while secretly questioning their tastes.

I'm far more likely to develop friction with someone who relentlessly bashes an anime I do like than someone who idolizes one I don't.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 18, 2016 3:24 PM

Jul 2012
Probably cringe internally and find a common series to fan boy over. Luckily the few series i hate tend to be the ones none of my friends have watched or heard of so it works out well. The few who did watch them were not fans or thought they were pretty meh.
Oct 18, 2016 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
i would harass him constantely with hate comments about his favorite anime
Oct 18, 2016 4:34 PM
Apr 2014
Depends on the anime and how much i hate it... if my friend said to me "I like SAO, it's such a great Anime" i would just tell him :
How ignorant you gotta be to believe any of this
You need to slit your wrists, get pissed, and go jump off a bridge. ( & yeah it's from that song by that band... don't judge. )

But if he says something like " SAO is DA GREATEST ANIME EVAR & KIRITO IS SUCH A BADASS!" i would sacrifice him to the God Hand.
"Only one thing is equal for all, and that is death."
Oct 18, 2016 5:01 PM

Apr 2015
I don't let my friendships be based on taste in Chinese cartoons. I have friends who like SAO/Fairy Tail and the like because they're nice people who are fun to be around.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 18, 2016 5:32 PM

Oct 2015
Nothing. I mean I would recommend them other stuff that is better in my mind and banter with them but I definitely wouldn't even consider dropping the friendship from something trivial like that.
Oct 18, 2016 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Jam my cock in his mouth and yell he should have my taste.
Oct 18, 2016 5:45 PM

Sep 2016
Absolutely nothing, because it tastes it. Maximum would make a buzzing. I have a friend who likes Naruto and I hate Naruto, I play with him but nothing else.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 18, 2016 5:47 PM

Apr 2014
Well, I had a discussion with my best friend today who really loves Ajin, which I despise. We settled or differences and went through with our lives, no problem at all.
Oct 18, 2016 5:48 PM

Jul 2014
Show them superior taste by giving them my anime list.
Oct 18, 2016 5:52 PM

Jul 2016
Tie that person to a chair and force him to watch some good anime. Then come back in 1 week and see if he ends up worthy enough to stay as my friend.
Oct 18, 2016 5:53 PM

Sep 2016
But the cool thing is someone end a friendship because of that hahahahaha wonder.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 18, 2016 5:59 PM

Sep 2011
Depends on the show. I consider myself a pretty objective reviewer, so I can hate something that is really well made or I can love complete garbage. With that said, first I would ask what show and then what they liked about it. I'd judge them a bit based on their answer if it is completely off-base, but otherwise I wouldn't do anything. People are entitled to their own opinions as long as those opinions do not affect those around them in any way.
Oct 18, 2016 6:05 PM

Mar 2016
I need more close friends who are anime fans. We could get hyped and show each other stuff. People don't have to be too similar in tastes.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Oct 18, 2016 6:05 PM

May 2015
what the fuck kinda faggot friend are you; Id be glad not to associate with such a person

Shirasho said:
Depends on the show. I consider myself a pretty objective reviewer, so I can hate something that is really well made or I can love complete garbage. With that said, first I would ask what show and then what they liked about it. I'd judge them a bit based on their answer if it is completely off-base, but otherwise I wouldn't do anything. People are entitled to their own opinions as long as those opinions do not affect those around them in any way.
dont you mean subjective? otherwise this doesnt make sense
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 18, 2016 6:08 PM

Nov 2008
I would be nice instead of act like an asshole because I'm not an asshole.

If you break a friendship because of different taste in media, you've got serious issues.

Oct 18, 2016 6:42 PM

Sep 2015
Sit in the corner due to anger because the last time this had happened, I was the odd one out and multiple people started ganging up on me. Some of them haven't even seen the show I was trying to defend yet they were sure that because I liked it, it must be trashy.

My real life friends always bash anime as a concept or have polar opposite taste to me. We just can't agree on anything anime related in general.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Oct 18, 2016 6:44 PM

Mar 2016
They always are. Usually they're fans of Re:Cancer or Akame ga Kill!
I can't do anything about it but suggest other anime that I know they'll never get to watching as they're always "busy".
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Oct 18, 2016 6:48 PM

Mar 2015
my friendship was not that cheap... you have some serious issue dude...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 18, 2016 6:51 PM

Aug 2008
And this is why anime fan=immature cancerous people. Hating someone just because of cartoon. Seriously? I can understand if you hate them if let just say they are some Neo Nazi right wing racist but this is just cartoon.
Don't care if that happen because I'm not elitist a$$hole. It just Chinese cartoon,no big deal.

Society are not to be blamed for looking down as anime fan. Anime fan themselves are to be blamed.
ZapredonOct 19, 2016 4:26 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 18, 2016 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Nothing. I don't choose my friends because of their taste in anime.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Oct 18, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2016
If a friendship is that fragile I'm not sure how you'd keep any friends
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 18, 2016 6:59 PM

Jun 2016
some say she/he is an otaku.
but when i ask them what anime you watched.
their answer was " one piece and fairy tale".

I walk out. end of conversation. scratching my heads :D

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 18, 2016 7:26 PM

Jun 2013
Don't let taste in anime interfere with your friendship, for example my best friend smokes and i fucking hate cigarettes or anything related to that and i won't ditch the bastard that i know since basically my childhood.
Oct 18, 2016 7:27 PM

Sep 2015
Tiramisu said:
QABJAB said:
Sit in the corner due to anger because the last time this had happened, I was the odd one out and multiple people started ganging up on me. Some of them haven't even seen the show I was trying to defend yet they were sure that because I liked it, it must be trashy.

My real life friends always bash anime as a concept or have polar opposite taste to me. We just can't agree on anything anime related in general.
Sounds like you have some shitty friends tbh. Just out of curiosity, what was the show you were trying to defend?

They're not bad people, it's just that I haven't once agreed with them about anime. (I'm the only active anime fan in group)

Three of my buddies were talking about Fairy Tail so I came, in agreed that it was a fun show, and then recommended Hunter X Hunter. One of those jerks had a friend of a friend who saw the first 6 episodes, decided it was terrible, and spread the word that Hunter X Hunter was shit.
I tried to tell them to see at least one episode but they wouldn't give it a fair shot. Then I tried comparing similar aspects to Fairy Tail to catch their attention but after 3 days of on and off 10 minute arguments I gave up and started bashing Fairy Tail because the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Oct 18, 2016 7:34 PM

Jan 2011
I wouldn't have become friends with them in the first place.
May 2015
Death will be inevitable. If by any chance he survives I will threaten his family.

fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the MAL shitposting continues....

i don't hate any anime, so that can't be a factor in anything
Oct 18, 2016 7:39 PM

May 2015
This has actually already happened to me. I was just casually talking about good first anime and SAO was brought up. When they said they thought it was a legitimately good anime, I couldn't help but come up with reasons to support my side of the argument. We had a very nice discussion that day!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 18, 2016 9:10 PM
Apr 2014
Funny, that's kind of why we are good friends. I like to shit on all his tastes, all in good fun of course.
Hai forces
Oct 18, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
i would snivel and enjoy better anime

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

14 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

84 by -YaoiBoy- »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

43 by purplemoon_ »»
25 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 6 hours ago

31 by traed »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.