Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2016 1:39 PM

Jul 2014
sword123 said:
OppaiSugoi said:
lol this exactly the kind of people I'm talking about, thanks for validating my point. I'll have what you're injecting.

You have every right to think that there's nothing to the story and it's all just for promotion, but "lol you're looking way too deep, lay off the LSD." instead of elaborating on your point isn't very constructive. I doubt that any of the others think that it had to have a meaning, it's just what they got out of it.

Ok I'll play, what is this story you speak of? All this time we see random world building to the tune of mismatched brostep. All of a sudden Rin cries when getting a seemingly automated text from what is assumed her dad, ok well that was random. Plot as people put it is incoherent, again just randomness as a reviewer puts it as "cheap feels" ala angel beats. This is where it annoys me that people proclaim this music video having superb plot where it doesn't even exist in the first place. How are people supposed to figure out the synopsis in 6 minutes?
Oct 20, 2016 1:58 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, i didn't expect that i could be involved so much with a 6 mins video.
Art and music are amazing and the story is so beautiful, but so sad :(
It's hurt me so much :(
9/10 solid.
Oct 20, 2016 2:44 PM

Apr 2013
I usually am a tolerant individual when I judge an anime critically, but I can't let this six minute anime music video dubbed "Shelter" slip past my radar.

Simply put it is one of the most atrocious pieces of animation I have laid my eyes upon.

The art and animation are gorgeous but let's put that aside for a second because everything else about it is so awful that I can't give it a higher rating than a 2.

"Shelter" is the hallmark of everything wrong with the anime industry. It's a simple story about a father's love for his daughter but it's utterly RUINED by the fact that it tries to throw "feels" at us in the form of an adorable girl. I guarantee you that if the cute protagonist was replaced by a boy, dog, a middle aged adult, or anything of that sort it would not provoke the same reaction from me or anyone else. I would not bat an eye if the scenario was reversed and a mother sent his son into space because the son isn't a generic moe character.

In addition, it tries to tell a sad story in six minutes to elicit emotions from the audience. Why even bother? We need character development, we need a fleshed out backstory, we need hours upon hours of father-daughter moments to even sympathize with the main character. Only a full fleshed out series can do this kind of story justice, but it's compressed into a six minute MV so I'll dismiss "Shelter" as steaming garbage for even attempting to tell a story.

I cannot recommend this music video to anyone, and I'm sure many like minded anime critics and individuals of discerning taste would agree that "Shelter" is a shallow, vapid, piece of entertainment that appeals only to the lowest common denominator. Any argument or rebuttals made against me are just poor triggered people who can't handle that someone has a contrary opinion to theirs.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 20, 2016 2:59 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
migohunter said:
I usually am a tolerant individual when I judge an anime critically, but I can't let this six minute anime music video dubbed "Shelter" slip past my radar.

Simply put it is one of the most atrocious pieces of animation I have laid my eyes upon.

The art and animation are gorgeous but let's put that aside for a second because everything else about it is so awful that I can't give it a higher rating than a 2.

"Shelter" is the hallmark of everything wrong with the anime industry. It's a simple story about a father's love for his daughter but it's utterly RUINED by the fact that it tries to throw "feels" at us in the form of an adorable girl. I guarantee you that if the cute protagonist was replaced by a boy, dog, a middle aged adult, or anything of that sort it would not provoke the same reaction from me or anyone else. I would not bat an eye if the scenario was reversed and a mother sent his son into space because the son isn't a generic moe character.

In addition, it tries to tell a sad story in six minutes to elicit emotions from the audience. Why even bother? We need character development, we need a fleshed out backstory, we need hours upon hours of father-daughter moments to even sympathize with the main character. Only a full fleshed out series can do this kind of story justice, but it's compressed into a six minute MV so I'll dismiss "Shelter" as steaming garbage for even attempting to tell a story.

I cannot recommend this music video to anyone, and I'm sure many like minded anime critics and individuals of discerning taste would agree that "Shelter" is a shallow, vapid, piece of entertainment that appeals only to the lowest common denominator. Any argument or rebuttals made against me are just poor triggered people who can't handle that someone has a contrary opinion to theirs.

Just someone trying to be a meme too
He gave it an 8
next
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 20, 2016 3:08 PM
Aug 2015
Didn't feel impressed by it, wohoo hypuuu! What was all the fuss about anyways?

6/10 dem big ass eyes
Oct 20, 2016 5:10 PM

Apr 2015
Almost made me cry tbh. Soo cute yet so sad.

Soundtrack fitted perfectly with the whole vid.

10/10
Oct 20, 2016 5:28 PM

Aug 2016
This is probably the shortest most beautiful Anime I've ever watched. In just a mere 6 minutes it reached and soothed my heart. Truely wonderful yet sad. Soundtrack was amazing. I want a Movie or a series maybe? Would be great!
Oct 20, 2016 7:00 PM
Feb 2011
migohunter said:

Props to you!

Watched and rewatched this at work as a mere pastime. Hella awkward trying to fight off the tears.
Oct 20, 2016 7:04 PM

Apr 2014
So many elitists in this thread
Oct 20, 2016 7:05 PM

Nov 2015
The animation was good

Oct 20, 2016 7:11 PM

May 2015
All these butt-hurt wannabe elitists getting mad over a 6 minute music video. LOL.

Oct 20, 2016 7:14 PM

Jul 2014
@migohunter can't tell if sarcastic...
Oct 20, 2016 7:19 PM

Apr 2013
OppaiSugoi said:
@migohunter can't tell if sarcastic...

No, I'm completely serious.

Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 20, 2016 7:35 PM

May 2015
The feels! This is how you tell a story in 6 minutes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2015
A delightful short.

It takes quite a bit of skill to relay a lot of information, do it well, in so brief a time period. This science fiction story reminds me of some of the excellent sci-fi short stories by H. Beam Piper, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. That's quite a good crowd.

This was elegantly done.

Bravo.
The sword that takes life gives life
Oct 20, 2016 8:44 PM

Sep 2015
Bloomster said:
This is probably the shortest most beautiful Anime I've ever watched. In just a mere 6 minutes it reached and soothed my heart. Truely wonderful yet sad. Soundtrack was amazing. I want a Movie or a series maybe? Would be great!

No thanks. You should feel bad for even wanting a full anime out of this.
Oct 20, 2016 8:53 PM

Sep 2015
4kicks said:
I liked it. Easily became a contender as a new favorite. Part of me thinks it could even be made into a short OVA or movie, but this is good as it is.

For some reason, there are a lot of trolls here with shit like "only weebs like this garbage". I truly pity them, because it means their life must really suck if shitposting for no good reason is what gets them off. That, or they're still immature, living with their parents sucking on their mothers tit.

And apparently there is some internet drama debate on wether this is truly an "anime" be definition because of it's removal from reddit anime forums by mods. According to their mods, anime is for Japanese, by Japanese--to paraphrase, and not made by anyone non-Japanese. This was aired to a live audience in Japan (as well as the world online)....made by renown Japanese studio, by Japanese people in Japan...so what's the problem? Well, it also so happens to be partially made outside Japan (the song's producers, and the producers/writers themselves being non-Japanese). But by that definition, the vast majority of current anime cannot be considered "anime" as well, because of outsourcing to South Korea, and sometimes China/Taiwan, or by foreign nationals living and working in Japan. Seriously, look at the credits of any big anime series OP/ED credits, you'll see a lot of Korean names en masse, written in English. The reddit mods are just being incredibly anal about this. It's called a collaboration, deal with it.

>2016, Still uses the term 'troll'
What are you 12 or something?

>Calls other people shitposting when he indirectly replied to them
It's ironic isn't it?

>But by that definition, the vast majority of current anime cannot be considered "anime" as well, because of outsourcing to South Korea, and sometimes China/Taiwan, or by foreign nationals living and working in Japan. Seriously, look at the credits of any big anime series OP/ED credits, you'll see a lot of Korean names en masse, written in English.

Its not anime because its story is produced by some Western weeb, deal with it.
Oct 20, 2016 9:10 PM
Mar 2015
Nourunin said:
4kicks said:
I liked it. Easily became a contender as a new favorite. Part of me thinks it could even be made into a short OVA or movie, but this is good as it is.

For some reason, there are a lot of trolls here with shit like "only weebs like this garbage". I truly pity them, because it means their life must really suck if shitposting for no good reason is what gets them off. That, or they're still immature, living with their parents sucking on their mothers tit.

And apparently there is some internet drama debate on wether this is truly an "anime" be definition because of it's removal from reddit anime forums by mods. According to their mods, anime is for Japanese, by Japanese--to paraphrase, and not made by anyone non-Japanese. This was aired to a live audience in Japan (as well as the world online)....made by renown Japanese studio, by Japanese people in Japan...so what's the problem? Well, it also so happens to be partially made outside Japan (the song's producers, and the producers/writers themselves being non-Japanese). But by that definition, the vast majority of current anime cannot be considered "anime" as well, because of outsourcing to South Korea, and sometimes China/Taiwan, or by foreign nationals living and working in Japan. Seriously, look at the credits of any big anime series OP/ED credits, you'll see a lot of Korean names en masse, written in English. The reddit mods are just being incredibly anal about this. It's called a collaboration, deal with it.

>2016, Still uses the term 'troll'
What are you 12 or something?

>Calls other people shitposting when he indirectly replied to them
It's ironic isn't it?

>But by that definition, the vast majority of current anime cannot be considered "anime" as well, because of outsourcing to South Korea, and sometimes China/Taiwan, or by foreign nationals living and working in Japan. Seriously, look at the credits of any big anime series OP/ED credits, you'll see a lot of Korean names en masse, written in English.

Its not anime because its story is produced by some Western weeb, deal with it.

But Ultimo is manga and by extension anime....
Oct 20, 2016 10:58 PM

Jan 2013
Wait. What? How? Why!?

Do people actually agree with that 1/10 review? Are people on MAL really this fucking pretentious? Please tell me they used some kind of botting program to get likes, I refuse to believe those are legitimate, that would honestly be really depressing. This whole production was a thing of beauty, and I came here hoping that trash was off the front page, and what I got was the complete opposite.
LostSpectreOct 20, 2016 11:01 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 21, 2016 2:47 AM

Sep 2009
It's a music video, why is this even here wtf ?
Oct 21, 2016 3:03 AM

Jul 2010
Would make a good teaser for the film. As a music video no. Put 10 for the details of the plot, but 10 the interference fit. Here it is possible to put a 1, if to take a bite out of the story. But, I won't, I'm lazy. And in fact, is not the first time doing anything like that.
May be some anime?
Oct 21, 2016 3:15 AM
Sep 2016
loved the 6-minute story, and the touchy message at the end.
didn't expect that at all, and looking forward for the next episode
Oct 21, 2016 3:24 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty dense plot in such a short mv , animation and art was really beautiful.

Downsides are that the music took on too much of an uplifting note which really stifled the emotional impact the second half of the MV.
~
Oct 21, 2016 3:27 AM

Dec 2011
I think the people who are so quick to throw out allegations that this work isn't concerned with story need to look at it again. At first, I was annoyed that she was purposefully designed to be moe-cute juxtaposed with a dark, terrible tragedy to illicit sad feelings on the viewer about loneliness. I thought it was a superficial philosophy- like, trying to be deep without actually being deep. After re-watching with the intent to analyze though, I realized it’s actually a solid story. Everything we need to know is there, and given the limited amount of time to tell it, you have to look at the backgrounds and do work outside of what's presented. You'll find what's here is sad, but beautiful. As for the people having gripe at her character design- yes, it's simple and basic, but it works here because there's only 6 minutes to work with. In that short amount of time, of course you want to draw out immediate emotional impact.

Idk if it's been done before but these are my observations.

Good stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded on this later tbh.
CMYKOct 21, 2016 4:11 AM
Oct 21, 2016 4:09 AM

Jan 2013
Meh, it was okay. Not worth a 8 though, a 5 at best.
Oct 21, 2016 4:28 AM

Apr 2014
This cartoon music is amazing and sad story. Loved it! Plus I would like like to know what's going to happen to the girl now. Will she go forward and find some shit or just stay trapped there forever?
Oct 21, 2016 4:35 AM

Jul 2014
LostSpectre said:
Wait. What? How? Why!?

Do people actually agree with that 1/10 review? Are people on MAL really this fucking pretentious? Please tell me they used some kind of botting program to get likes, I refuse to believe those are legitimate, that would honestly be really depressing. This whole production was a thing of beauty, and I came here hoping that trash was off the front page, and what I got was the complete opposite.
Surprise surprise, not all of us share your view. I for one clicked "helpful" if it triggers you even more lol.
Oct 21, 2016 6:03 AM

Oct 2008
Wow! on that last part I didn't expect that!
5/5!
8/10.

Oct 21, 2016 6:30 AM

May 2009
LostSpectre said:
Wait. What? How? Why!?

Aside from stupid review system that doesn't allow disagree or point out wrong things with review, people are annoyed by constant shilling Sony pulled with this AMV.
Oct 21, 2016 9:16 AM

Jul 2014
bastek66 said:
LostSpectre said:
Wait. What? How? Why!?

Aside from stupid review system that doesn't allow disagree or point out wrong things with review, people are annoyed by constant shilling Sony pulled with this AMV.

+1
i agree with you, they should put a disagree button, someone might think that all reviews are helpful lol
Oct 21, 2016 9:20 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
LoomyTheBrew said:
Shelter is trending on Facebook:

Apparently if you want anime to hit the mainstream, this is the way to do it. I'd love for more collaborations like this.
It was at the 4th spot on Youtube's trending list that day too
Oct 21, 2016 9:35 AM

Apr 2013
What am I supposed to feel about this?
Oct 21, 2016 9:48 AM

Sep 2014
Always-Hungry said:

Depends on who you are. Are you a smart person who has the extremely rare gift of critical thinking? Then you should hate it for being manipulative garbage. Or are you a filthy casual who doesn't understand proper storytelling, thinks pretty colours actually mean something and cries everytime a random fictional puppy dies horrifically with sad music playing? Then you should love it.
Oct 21, 2016 10:05 AM

Aug 2009
The hate train after something becomes popular is the main thing i avoid this community and just enjoy the medium..
Oct 21, 2016 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
Neromon said:
Always-Hungry said:

Depends on who you are. Are you a smart person who has the extremely rare gift of critical thinking? Then you should hate it for being manipulative garbage. Or are you a filthy casual who doesn't understand proper storytelling, thinks pretty colours actually mean something and cries everytime a random fictional puppy dies horrifically with sad music playing? Then you should love it.

I hate dubstep in general and adding pretty colors doesn't make it any better.
Oct 21, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2008
why do people care so much about objectivity?
scores must be subjective. it wouldn't be fun, otherwise.

5/10 :)
Oct 21, 2016 10:31 AM
Aug 2016
The story,the graphics,the music are all so awesome...though it's brief but that makes it even more special!
Oct 21, 2016 10:50 AM

Nov 2014
jeremeel2015 said:
bastek66 said:

+1
i agree with you, they should put a disagree button, someone might think that all reviews are helpful lol
bastek66 said:

LostSpectre said:
Wait. What? How? Why!?

They did that and it was far worse than this.

And anyway about the video: It's okay. Just your typical tearjerker whatsoever. Porter could've done it in more abstract way but I guess he's just not that kind of writer.
Oct 21, 2016 10:53 AM

Nov 2014
So, basically, this is a story about a selfish father who locks his daughter inside of a simulated world—by herself, without any companions or anything—so that she can live on after the rest of humanity is wiped out.

A-1 Pictures did a nice job with the art and animation, as they usually do.

The song isn't "bad", but my taste might be too narrow to appreciate it. I prefer orchestral, ambient, or experimental soundtracks.

Overall, it was alright.

5/10
Oct 21, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2013
Neromon said:
Always-Hungry said:

Finally, someone who shares my intellectual depth.

Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 21, 2016 12:11 PM

Oct 2012
Not much there.. as AMV it can work but even then the animation is choppy and isn't anything close to breathtaking.

If you want (slightly) better anime with similiar theme, watch Glass no Hana to Kowasu Sekai.
Oct 21, 2016 12:38 PM
Oct 2014
If you are over 15 and cried over this then u are an idiot. There, I said it. Leaving all the love/hate debate aside I am more curious about the power source that lasted for seven years which kept the girl alive and the ship in a working state. Oh and if you'd like to read a similar but much better short story I'd recommend Hotel by Boichi.
malonurOct 21, 2016 2:05 PM
Oct 21, 2016 1:47 PM

Nov 2014
malonur said:
If you are over 15 and cried over this then u are an idiot.

this claim is toxic and false. being emotional doesn't make you stupid. empathy is a sign of intelligence.
Oct 21, 2016 1:54 PM
Oct 2014
Tiemuuu said:
malonur said:
If you are over 15 and cried over this then u are an idiot.

this claim is toxic and false. being emotional doesn't make you stupid. empathy is a sign of intelligence.

Empathy doesnt mean to cry over every little stupid thing. That is idiocy. Learn the difference.
Oct 21, 2016 1:54 PM
Oct 2016
Personally, I hated it. On a scale of 1-10, i'd objectively score it a 7/10, based on my personal enjoyment though it'd probably be 2-3/10.

Reason i say objectively, is because i feel Porter Robinson accurately captured some vital aspects, with visual and audio. "A picture is worth one thousand words." I believe the short emphasized on that, and the audio followed suit in drawing out similar feelings. I saw some talk of how the show was meant to just draw out your own empathy, and nothing else, but I think that's precisely why it's deserving of a good rating. Porter knew what he wanted to do, and I personally feel he did it well.

That said, I personally just don't care for such a short display that's meant to simply stir up your imagination and prey on your own emotions. If it were a full-length movie, or an honest anime series, that had more story in it, I may have enjoyed it more. But overall, the slow or sad theme don't suit me, unless it shows the antagonist facing their challenges actively and working to overcome them, this short was too brief for that. I watched the whole thing in 1.5x speed, (paused it a time or two) so I could actually see it all, but I wouldn't watch it again nor would I have watched it at normal speed.
Oct 21, 2016 1:57 PM

Jul 2015
liked it 7/10
living in my virtual world , this is what im doing everyday lol
Oct 21, 2016 2:00 PM

Nov 2014
malonur said:
Tiemuuu said:

Empathy doesnt mean to cry over every little stupid thing. That is idiocy. Learn the difference.

you have to explain yourself. what this short pictured wasn't small or stupid on the emotional spectrum of things. it dealt with family, love and loneliness.
Oct 21, 2016 2:11 PM

Feb 2014
Tokoya said:
LoomyTheBrew said:
Shelter is trending on Facebook:

Apparently if you want anime to hit the mainstream, this is the way to do it. I'd love for more collaborations like this.
It was at the 4th spot on Youtube's trending list that day too

Very cool! I'm glad this caught so many people's attention.
Oct 21, 2016 2:24 PM

May 2016
Naulii said:
j0x said:
so she is travelling in space for like 2000+ days? where is she going? is planet earth dead thats why she was sent to another habitable planet by her father perhaps?

We've seen in this video that some planet is going to crash with earth.

Here is one theory from reddit, too.

'Soooo, on the last few frames, we see Rin in the ship.

Pay attention to the UI in the background, you can a trajectory.

I though about it, and the direction of the trajectory doesn't make much sense : it comes from outside the system, toward the star. It doesn't look like an aimless trajectory, and I think the ship is landing soon.

Since we know the ship has been sailing for 2539 days or about 7 years. How about we look at the nearby stars within 7 light years. Alpha Centauri an Luhman 16 are candidates, as they both have known planets (and maybe more)

So yeah, her father had a degree in VR, space engineering and life support :)'

Written by https://www.reddit.com/user/reblochon

That's the best theory i guess for this.
However an 8/10 will be fair rating.
Oct 21, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2015
WHAT you're not allowed to make a legitimately good music video
How did this happen
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime

STSayeb - Apr 22, 2023

4 by GoCrayzee »»
Apr 22, 2023 8:28 AM

» BTS of 'Shelter'

Yuckydiyuck - Oct 20, 2016

7 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 31, 2021 6:35 PM

» Didn't realise it was in mal

SethXoXkun - Sep 11, 2021

5 by ManWild »»
Sep 12, 2021 10:58 AM

» Shelter playing on Toonami on New Year's? At midnight?

AvidAnimeViewer - Dec 22, 2016

2 by AvidAnimeViewer »»
Oct 1, 2019 5:23 PM

» Possibly one of the most overrated on mal?

Mister-Man - Aug 14, 2019

6 by NoLiferSoul »»
Sep 7, 2019 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.