Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 18, 2016 11:44 AM
Jun 2013
My friends I wish to pose to you a question:

What if there was no fanservice in anime? Like none.
By that I mean, no panty shots, no disproportionately large breasts that defy the laws of physics, no "that one episode where the characters go to the hot springs and you know for a fact you gonna see some boobies, and the main character is most likely going to end up in the girl's bath by 'mistake'".

It is all gone! This would mean some anime series would disappear all entirely, or be completely different. AE: High School DxD, To Love Ru, HOTD, etc.

Now here's what I would also ask, particularly to those who enjoy shows with a lot of fanservice. Would you stop watching anime all together if it was gone?

The argument that I will now pose is this: If fanservice were completely gone it would not affect the vast majority of anime viewers. Case and point look at the top rated anime series of all time here on MAL. THE ONLY ANIME that appears in the top twenty that has a significant amount of fanservice is Code Geass.

However, I do recognize that if you look at the most popular list. The top twenty does feature at least five anime that I can tell have fanservice in them, but even then of those five, I doubt a majority of the people that watch those shows would stop watching them if there wasn't any fan service.

Mainly, I'm just curious to see what you all think. How do you think it would affect the industry? Could you see more people watching anime without as many shows with fanservice? Could you see less people?

One last thing!

For the sake of argument, I will say that in this hypothetical setting that Hentai still exists. So those people that still wanna see their anime boobies can see them it's just they won't be seeing it on broadcast TV or anime streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Daisuke, etc.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 18, 2016 11:46 AM
Feb 2015
then i would dissapear as well jokes aside it would be painfull
Oct 18, 2016 11:49 AM

Sep 2012
@EcchiLordMamster

I summon you for this roo.

For me my favorite anime lost it's one of the best part in the show so I would be sad probably.
Oct 18, 2016 11:51 AM

May 2016
The majority part...That's the main problem in your hypothetical setting...

I'm opposed to the sacrifice of the minority for the sake of the majority... At least in this setting...Everyone must have a share...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 18, 2016 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Please, no.

I would have nothing left to cry about. My inner saltiness would get bottled up, until one day I would just explode and go on a weeaboo shooting spree.

Would probably drop less shows, though...
Oct 18, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
If fanservice disappeared, the first thing I would do would be a super huge party. There will be free alcohol for all my friends and a LAN party for 72 hours straight. Playing hardcore awesome games like DaiOuJou, Dark Souls, and a Phantasmagoria of Flower View tournament in which the one who loses a round has to take one shot, and the tournament ends when only one player is alive.

TL;DR: Celebrate
Oct 18, 2016 11:58 AM

Oct 2013
I wouldn't stop watching anime but I’d be pretty annoyed if a whole genre I loved would disappear
The only things I would have left then would be romance and gore
Oct 18, 2016 12:00 PM

Jan 2015
I wouldn't mind. It would force a lot of studios to step up their game.
Oct 18, 2016 12:01 PM

Aug 2016
Then people on MAL will probably argue about serious issues. That's a scary thought.
ffs
Oct 18, 2016 12:02 PM

Dec 2015
I'd be fine with no fan service but I would still want nudity in certain anime.
Does that make sense? I like to think it does.
Oct 18, 2016 12:04 PM
Jun 2013
Lord_Sithis said:
If fanservice disappeared, the first thing I would do would be a super huge party. There will be free alcohol for all my friends and a LAN party for 72 hours straight. Playing hardcore awesome games like DaiOuJou, Dark Souls, and a Phantasmagoria of Flower View tournament in which the one who loses a round has to take one shot, and the tournament ends when only one player is alive.

Dread Father Sithis, your words are inspiring. Dang you go hard.
Oct 18, 2016 12:04 PM

Jan 2014
Anime industry would go downhill fast, and the second coming would happen.
Its a win/lose situation.
Oct 18, 2016 12:05 PM

Nov 2008
I'd be perfectly okay with that.

..................unless it's MANSERVICE.

I would not be okay with shirtless hot guys disappearing. lol

Oct 18, 2016 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, @EcchiLordMamster should be here to serve as my counterpart.
Oct 18, 2016 12:11 PM

Sep 2015
Anime wouldn't be anime. It'd be a cartoon. (??)

Let's face it though, fanservice is the greatest and worst thing to ever happen in the anime history. By getting rid of that? I can't get my head round it. Fanservice has become a crucial part of anime, in both good and bad ways. If its existence was completely eradicated, that is like eating a curry with no spice.

//edit// If the term "fanservice" does not include yuri/bl then I probably can live with that.
Oct 18, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 2016
I'd have mixed feelings. On the one hand, most fan-service either annoys me or just leaves me ambivalent. On the other, once in a while, it's outrageously hilarious.

Overall, though, I'd consider its removal to be a net positive improvement.

As for whether more or less people would watch... I don't know. I know different people would watch - some would probably quit, and some would probably start watching - but I couldn't say whether it would be a net increase or decrease. All I can say for certain is that I'd keep watching.

The frozen pigs of hell will sprout wings before it happens, though, so I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about the hypothetical results.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Oct 18, 2016 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
HikiMaru said:
Anime wouldn't be anime. It'd be a cartoon. (??)

Let's face it though, fanservice is the greatest and worst thing to ever happen in the anime. By getting rid of that? I can't get my head round it. Fanservice has become a crucial part of anime, in both good and bad ways. If its existence was completely eradicated, that is like eating a curry with no spice.
If fanservice disappeared, anime would die. Because admittedly, a huge part of the money that the anime industry gets comes from fanservice. My problem with fanservice is its negative correlation with the story.
Oct 18, 2016 12:15 PM

Jun 2013
Then anime would be a serious business.
Oct 18, 2016 12:17 PM

Jul 2012
I mean it would just reinforce the other stigma that anime is for kids because it can't handle things like nudity.
I also wouldn't be surprised if late night shows struggled to sell merch with the lack of attractive female characters, tons of money would have never been put into fanservice heavy shows (I mean the fans just to elaborate), it would take a lot of the spice out of some shows, due to the sudden lack of some more popular late night shows there would also be a significant decrease in variety.
I mean if we're talking about removing all fanservice instead of just nudity it would be much worse, reference humor would be gone, flashy fight scenes would vanish, anime would just be a dull medium.
Slight error though you should have probably gone for the 20 most popular anime and not the top 20 rated. Because with the top 20 most popular arguably half of them have some significant fan service. In addition if you were to exlude sequels, standalone movies, or ovas (Ie. count one franchise as a whole) the number of shows with fan service in the top 20 might be closer to 5 which is still 25%.
Edit: I mean just to add to this you would also have to get rid of shows like say Neon Genesis Evangelion which had a ton of fan service especially in the movie. Which arguably saved Gainax from debt and went on to create other studios in addition to having major popularity in the west. That's just one example though, shows that tried to be different for their time like Lupin the Third would have to pull quite a bit of material, Tenchi Muyou would be gone basically eliminating entire genres, comedy which has been said to heavily play off of similar elements like the highly rated Great Teacher Onizuka would probably vanish. Even some of the most famous early manga authors often used fan service in their work.
GamerDLMOct 18, 2016 12:55 PM
Oct 18, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2015
@Lord_Sithis yes, I am aware of fanservice anime's financial contributions towards the industry itself is crucial, especially with the recent years. However, if you look at other entertainment mediums, they are able to become successful even though there was no involvement with partial nudity and fanservice-y aspects.

There are many ways anime would end up if fanservice did not exist. Kudos to OP for making this thread, it developed many ideas from many people.
Oct 18, 2016 12:20 PM

Dec 2015
if fan service disappeared, then anime could actually be good
no
Oct 18, 2016 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
HikiMaru said:
@Lord_Sithis yes, I am aware of fanservice anime's financial contributions towards the industry itself is crucial, especially with the recent years. However, if you look at other entertainment mediums, they are able to become successful even though there was no involvement with partial nudity and fanservice-y aspects.

There are many ways anime would end up if fanservice did not exist. Kudos to OP for making this thread, it developed many ideas from many people.
Recently many movies use fanservice. And even years ago, the most common example are horror movies. There's fanservice in books as well, in TV shows, in the news, everywhere. Because sex sells.
Oct 18, 2016 12:27 PM
Jan 2009
Scryed had literally zero fan service and it's the greatest anime ever made

So
Oct 18, 2016 12:28 PM

Sep 2015
Lord_Sithis said:
HikiMaru said:

Recently many movies use fanservice. And even years ago, the most common example are horror movies. There's fanservice in books as well, in TV shows, in the news, everywhere. Because sex sells.

Truthfully, I agree with your statements. Anime really benefitted from the usage of sexual appeal to target its audience. I'm just saying that I can't imagine living in a world without fanservice in anime (and also in another entertainment medium). For me to say things like "anime would be dead without panty shots and boob jiggles"... I bet there's already 5 people in this thread that have said this exact thing.
Oct 18, 2016 12:31 PM

May 2014
I would no longer be sad. My life would be full of hope.
Oct 18, 2016 12:33 PM

Feb 2016
I'd be fine without it, it's just like a "bonus" that I don't really care for. Fanservice can make or break a anime at times, if it's too much then it becomes annoying.

Especially if it's only the anime that does it... the original manga is more serious focused but the chaps that picked up adapting it to anime just saw as it a chance to go full-blown ecchi and make it less serious...

Although, I can't really picture some animes without their Ecchi Focus... like High School DxD. Like... the MC (Issei) goal is become a harem king... so there's bound to be Ecchi. But what, he'll dream to be a uh... Demon King or something instead? The strongest man alive? I can't see that... the comedy factor of the show would pretty much be gone I'd imagine.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Oct 18, 2016 12:35 PM

Aug 2014
We will only have 4 shows to watch a year :P
Oct 18, 2016 12:46 PM
Oct 2016
I don't think fan service itself is a problem. The problem is when people show up to get plot and end up getting "plot". It's fine to want to watch a silly fan service show occasionally. The problem is when it worms it's way into a more serious anime and wastes time which could be used advancing the story.
Oct 18, 2016 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
I come back here after nearly two full days with no internet and what do I see?

...another fanservice thread...

fuck me

OT: I wouldn't care, I like fanservice in some anime and dislike in the others but overall I would still enjoy most of the series as much as I did including the ones with fanservice obviously.
Oct 18, 2016 1:16 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
sasalx said:
@EcchiLordMamster

I summon you for this roo.

For me my favorite anime lost it's one of the best part in the show so I would be sad probably.

another one......

ANYWAY....

i obviously wouldnt stop watching anime, i'd just watch like 2 or 3 a season instead of 20 and i'd almost never buy anything lol

AND i'd lose most of my masturbation material :(

plus the industry would absolutely die, since whether or not you want to believe it, the extreme cuteness or sexiness of the characters is the main thing thats attractive about anime

Oct 18, 2016 1:27 PM

May 2015
Fanservice/=/ecchi
Ecchi/=/automatically bad
Fanservice/=/autoomatically bad

Even ignoring the fact that my dick wouldn't be happen, some of the best anime incorporate sexual elements that can also be used to make you horny into their story, it becomes part of their identity.

anyways it doesn't lily matah because all the people whining about fanservice are elitists that don't get called out on being elitists who like "mature anime" such as Rainbow/Cowboy Bebop/Parasyte/any anime by studio Madhouse that handles "mature themes"/any anime that's not a light novel adaptation by studio Madhouse and want real "depth" to their story-telling, like lazy adaptations from a once great but now garbage studio.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Oct 18, 2016 1:31 PM

Jun 2008
It would be VERY bad for business.

Whether you people like it or not....fanservice sustains the industry.

Look at all the bishoujo figures and anime goods that contain sexual content that are made and sold.

Go to ANY website that sells anime goods and you will see just how vital this is.

I'm NOT saying that fanservice and ecchi should be the only thing in anime....but what I AM saying is that it is necessary.
Oct 18, 2016 2:03 PM
Jun 2015
The anime industry would go through a depression because they already put themselves into a double bind by creating the expectation of fan service. It would take widespread publicity and awareness campaigns to recover because they would have to increase their view base dramatically to recoup lost sales. It could be better in the long run for the majority of shows although a lot of comedy genres would seize to exist because fan service adds to the comedy.
Oct 18, 2016 2:23 PM

Sep 2014
The only redeeming factor of a lot of anime would disappear. That's not good :(
Oct 18, 2016 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
as much as i would like to think it wouldn't, i feel like it could affect the industry quite a bit. i mean, its ass and tits, so of course it will attract a lot of horny 12 year olds, am i right? .... :D
Oct 18, 2016 2:31 PM

Mar 2012
anime would still be shit 4ever tho..
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Oct 18, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2008
Another fanservice topic that's only targeting ecchi. Meh. At least just say ecchi instead of fanservice if you're strictly focusing on it.

As for trying to stay on topic, doujinshis will make up for it.
Oct 18, 2016 2:52 PM

Sep 2015
keijo would become significantly less popular
Oct 18, 2016 2:54 PM

Feb 2016
Rei366 said:
Fanservice disappearing? Does it mean that we would get less mecha action in series with mecha? No more series with 50% of each episode entirely deddedicated to robots fights?
It seems to good to be true!
At least be competent when trying to be a smartass:
vonhusenburg said:

By that I mean, no panty shots, no disproportionately large breasts that defy the laws of physics, no "that one episode where the characters go to the hot springs and you know for a fact you gonna see some boobies, and the main character is most likely going to end up in the girl's bath by 'mistake'".

OT: I think its actually too late for that change to be good, sexual fanservice is a very big part of sustaining the industry.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 18, 2016 2:55 PM

Sep 2009
Then all of the otaku would go kill themselves (good riddance), and anime would be great again.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 18, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
Then all of the otaku would go kill themselves (good riddance), and anime would be great again.

fanservice is not just tits you know that right?
Oct 18, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2010
It would be less embarrassing to admit you like anime
Oct 18, 2016 3:10 PM

Sep 2009
Lord_Sithis said:

Lol invite me too, I can't get anyone I know to play POFV with me =X

PoeticJustice said:
MortalMelancholy said:

fanservice is not just tits you know that right?

It's not gonna be very convincing if you're planning to say "it includes panties too." >.>
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 18, 2016 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
MortalMelancholy said:
Lord_Sithis said:

Lol invite me too, I can't get anyone I know to play POFV with me =X
Depends on where you live :)

Go to the Discord server and ask people there. There's even a tournament this Sunday. Or you could always play with me if you want to :)

But besides that, fanservice will never end, so that party won't ever exist.
Oct 18, 2016 3:19 PM
Jun 2013
Sweanime said:
We will only have 4 shows to watch a year :P

Bwahahaha, you my friend deserve a cookie for that one! Lol!
Oct 18, 2016 3:30 PM

Sep 2014
There would be infinitely more quality anime, because outside of the blood and gore gimmick, there would be no other way to really promote a anime, but to attempt to actually create a interesting/quality anime.
Oct 18, 2016 3:31 PM
Jun 2013
Well, thanks everyone. This has been informative.

I would have to say after reading all of everyone's thoughts I can understand a lot people's arguments in the defense of fan service.

I can understand that without it it is true that there would be a large demographic that would be lost as well as a market for certain goods outside of anime.

I would like to say this, and I would hope we all could all agree when I say that I simply wish that more production companies would promote and produce anime that have mature themes, without those same shows being saturated with fanservice. At lest, that is what I would like to see. That way the age old stigma among many outside the anime community, that anime is only for kids or pervy otakus, could be alleviated somewhat.
Oct 18, 2016 4:25 PM
Jul 2016
I don't think most people would notice. I think fanservice exists only for clickbait marketing and selling figurines. The actual shows wouldn't change much. I picked up Occultic;Nine because of the funny boob girl but after 3 minutes I forget she even has big boobs and just watch the show which is 10/10 fucking masterpiece.

I'm not one for compromise. Something is either porn or it isn't. I stopped giving two damns about fanservice the day I got ADSL and my own PC if you catch my drift.
Wardog_EOct 18, 2016 4:50 PM
Oct 18, 2016 4:28 PM

Apr 2015
It'll mostly affect the anime industry in some way but not me.

-Mastergold
Oct 18, 2016 4:33 PM

Oct 2015
Post-scarcity economy established, all wars instantly resolved, complete equality among people of all social classes, races, cultures and other creeds, climate change destroyed, utopian society.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

12 by EastIndiaCompany »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

203 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

25 by Atashi_Agatha »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

83 by Atashi_Agatha »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

65 by Atashi_Agatha »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.