Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 19, 2018 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
Loved the last 5 mins, still trying to get into the rest of the show, don't know the rules of shogi but it doesn't look like its gonna be the focus of the show at all, so thank God.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 25, 2018 3:04 PM

Feb 2010
Some amazing boobs this episode, now I must look for the Akari doujins.
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Dec 30, 2018 1:29 AM

Jun 2015
feel like this is the type of show i'd get bored at, but something is definitely pulling me and making it interesting. not sure what it is, because i have no idea how to play shogi, and the characters are outstanding right now.
Jan 1, 2019 2:36 PM

Oct 2010
Akari is so damn cute <3
Feb 1, 2019 7:21 PM
Apr 2018
I had much more fun with this episode than the previous one: I watched the first one six months ago I think but it kinda bored me.

Rei's faces were funny, but his sad expression... man, I wonder what kind of life he has had so far. Seeing how Rei came to meet the sisters was interesting. Akari seems to be much more than a nice, caring person.
ReinhardVonMusel said:
Some amazing boobs this episode, now I must look for the Akari doujins.
Haha, that pair sure was unexpected. Props to her.
Mar 14, 2019 6:57 AM

Mar 2019
Nice episode and interactions between the characters. I have zero knowledge about the game he is playing though lol.
Mar 19, 2019 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
Akari is sweet, too sweet!
May 4, 2019 12:53 PM

Sep 2013
I'm only halfway through the episode and I had to pause to say there is something really creepy about Akari's face. She barely looks human with no lips and those dead eyes. The dress was nice and everything and she has a wonderful, sweet personality, but, GOD...that face gives me the shivers.

Finished watching the entire episode and she was just plain creepy...sorry bout that....but creepy.

Ok, I just read through all the other comments and realize that I am totally the only person creeped out by Akari's weird face. Go ahead and let me have it. I don't mind!

(but she's still creepy looking)

=D
Maelstrom184May 4, 2019 12:57 PM

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 19, 2019 8:27 PM

Sep 2017
I am seriously enjoying this show. Probably one of my favorites of the shows I am watching right now. It's such a complex yet relaxing show, and I love it. Momo is fucking adorable. Definitely quality imouto material. I once again love the dynamic between Rei and Akari. Good stuff, good stuff.

I still have no idea how anything related to shogi works. It's kinda funny how lost I am during the shogi games.
Jul 14, 2019 12:25 PM

Jul 2019
I'm sorry, but it seems like there will be too much events with these japanese chess. And nobody even intend to explain some basics of the game.
Btw, story feels too empty, pacifistic and obviously teen-oriented. I'm sure, high-school boys who associating themselves with the bored protagonist will be excited, and I don't blame them.
P.S.
Scene by the river is unbearable for homo sapiens.
Sep 17, 2019 6:09 AM
Jun 2014
The art for the faces will need a little getting used to. I hope the monologues from Rei decrease, or at least have some changes in tone every now and then, otherwise it will get repetitive. Nevertheless, its been good so far. Not something I can binge though, its just too depressing to do that.
Oct 2, 2019 12:35 PM

Jul 2015
Akari and her family basically gave some color to Rei's colorless life, still looks like he is struggling with something

Mar 28, 2020 4:19 AM

Oct 2014
Rei reminds me a bit of myself, I was in a really dark place while living alone abroad ><
May 15, 2020 10:31 AM

Sep 2017
Boring episode again.
It feels like a fucking light novel with the drawn out shit, with the overused similies and the slice of life family bullshit.

MC hangs around a bunch of elitists and scumbags.

Also Those fucking scratched eyes are all over the characters.

This has less shogi action than even ryuugou no oshigoto.

None of the shogi anime has any explanation of the beginner rules or even what happens in gameplay. Nothing is interesting and nothing matters in the end.
Is this a fucking shogi anime?? No. It is even worse slice of life bullshit.

Akari seems like she is gold digging off the MC, using him for her nefarious purposes.

Boring and overrated imo.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 15, 2020 10:34 AM

Sep 2017
I'm sorry, but it seems like there will be too much events with these japanese chess. And nobody even intend to explain some basics of the game.
Btw, story feels too empty, pacifistic and obviously teen-oriented. I'm sure, high-school boys who associating themselves with the bored protagonist will be excited, and I don't blame them.
P.S.
Scene by the river is unbearable for homo sapiens.

I feel the Same. This episode is honestly a bullshit episode used by the anime studio to just waste animation on another episode.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 29, 2020 9:44 AM

Dec 2013
I'm really liking this anime. I like how they narrate the past about Kiriyama, it's really smooth and natural.

And boy, Akari is a babe. And Momo is such a cutie ♥️
The new characters seems nice and on the previous episode, it shows that Kiriyama is a bit bothered about winning and losing especially of his competitors.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jun 12, 2020 1:40 PM

Aug 2019
I liked this episode more than the first one. Even though the comedy in the first half put me off, the second half was beautiful with Rei's monologue by the river and his first meeting with the sisters. And I'm starting to love Akari, such a sweet and kind soul.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Aug 26, 2020 5:05 PM
Oct 2019
His 3 shogi "friends" are actually pretty funny. Felt for that one guy and his grandfather. I kind of hope the 3 having drinks and the dude in the elevator could all kind of be friends. (That's me wanting a happy ending.)

Those 3 girls again. So charming. And then the tone changes. Sounds like they've got a sad story, too. :'(

Then Kiriyama and his bridge, water and everything being in black/white talk. His parents died in a car accident (or was that the girl's?).

Really good episode.
Sep 12, 2020 11:06 AM

May 2018
Another great episode. Akari is top tier waifu haha
Jan 23, 2021 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
For some reason when they were all together shopping and afterwards I almost cried? It wasn't sad at all but it just felt so calm with the visuals and the music... I'm in for a ride aren't I
Jan 28, 2021 7:05 AM

May 2020
beautiful episode, I took a few screenshots
Feb 10, 2021 9:41 PM
Sep 2019
2 episodes in and I’m absolutely loving this anime. Characters feel so real, and Akira is perfection.
Feb 18, 2021 11:23 AM

Jul 2020
ok so 2 eps in and
This ep was soo good and the scene with since that day he's in daze was so much relatable ;-; ahhhhh
Feb 23, 2021 10:40 AM

May 2020
Akari ara-ara san she's adorable and lovely. Glad have a non-related family like him should be grateful.
Mar 25, 2021 11:18 PM

Aug 2018
Hm.. So this rival-friend character.. He's quite rich, if he can afford himself a butler, and giving that butler a 80 days cruise.. 80 days, btw?.. Sounds specific, lol.. Maybe reference to 80 days around the world..
By the way, this humor more feels not like comedy, but like people trying to be cheerful around and stuff.. I don't think it's intended to be comedy, but rather it's just how people are.. But that's to my feel..
Hm.. So Rei likes rivers.. Interesting.. At least something we know now, what he likes..
Hm.. So professional shougi player plays only around 30-40 matches a year?.. Doesn't sound too much..
And tops can play up to 70-80, hm.. Well, this sounds like more of a reasonable number..
Hm.. So that's how Rei got to know this family.. She got abandoned by senpais after drinking, and Akari helped him to her home, which is relatively near to his..
Akari is really good with people, has good social skills, very supportive and it seems is likeable by others, kind.. I personally don't like her too much.. Well, just seems like not my type, it's just on the feelings level, I'm not really sure, why I don't.. Thinking of some reason really would just be putting false explanation.. But I must admit that she's good person.. Even if not my type.. She is alright to me.. But impressive as person, really.. Still won't like her or dislike..
Hm.. Second time I see these horses for obon out of vegetables.. And it was really recently I first saw them - like maybe 2 weeks passed, or something.. Or maybe even less.. Saw them in Kodomo no Jikan.. Maybe I just didn't pay too much attention to them before.. So they're horses dead people ride to return home?.. Interesting to know..
Hm.. And Rei thinks that Kawamoto parents died recently.. Hm..
Rei was quite affected by his parents death, hm..
Good second episode.. Dead parents topic was interesting.. As well as Akari's personality..
May 7, 2021 7:45 AM

Oct 2019
I love how the enviroment in this anime changes when Kiriyama is alone in his apartment, to very warm and soothing scenary in Kawamoto house.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
May 26, 2021 3:07 AM

Dec 2020
waa akari is a hostess? would not have guessed that but looks like she's doing well, good for her
Dec 30, 2021 11:37 AM
Nov 2020
This is the fastest I ever fell in love with the show. First episode is incredible and it gets better.
Mar 7, 2022 4:55 AM
Jan 2020
Akari is my waifu <3
Apr 12, 2022 6:09 AM

May 2021
Not having even toilet paper means Rei has some really serious issues. Even more curious to see what happened in his past.
Also, why isn't Akari more popular?

May 11, 2022 6:41 PM

Dec 2021
this might actually heal my burnout, i'm liking this show. bridge symbolism is p cool, kinda iffy about the cutesy SoL even tho i'm aware of its purpose but maybe i'll like it more
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Jul 4, 2022 7:53 AM

Dec 2007
that line "might distract me" said it all. it's clear there's more to akari than meets the eye. and rei presenting it well.

dunno about the pace, or maybe it's the story itself. but by the time i get into the rei's character the episode in ending lol.
but i think it's just might show how much rei's tragedies are clouded by the "cheerful" world.
Nov 28, 2022 9:10 AM

Nov 2022
Is anyone like Akari even real? She is simply lovely, and she is stunning. She looked stunning in that dress at the bar. Normal people would not look after strangers, but this is Akari, the nicest person in the world.

It was such a sweet episode >.
Dec 18, 2022 1:35 AM

Aug 2018
Good comedy so far, Akari really is mommy material but overall its Shaft that deserves most credit for such nice and unique animation style, really feels like they are sticking to the manga roots
Jan 1, 2023 7:15 AM

Jan 2021
I can't beileve I've never heard about this show before now.... It really resonates with me.
Jan 8, 2023 11:23 AM

Jan 2023
+ Akari omg
+ More background on Rei
+ Matsumoto Issa reminds me of Kiryu lol

Pacing starting to flow better as you get to know the characters a bit more.

8/10
Mar 3, 2023 5:38 PM
May 2020
It is nice to rewatch this in March, but I still don't understand why this is the title.
Jul 25, 2023 2:22 PM
Aug 2022
Thats wife material, what girl would do that? 
Aug 10, 2023 2:57 AM

May 2022
Was searching for something of this type... it's going to be fun few days watching it.
Dec 30, 2023 4:16 PM
Jul 2017
decent pacing, nothing really turning me away. the characterization seems good. we're getting introduced to mysteries about the protag, who he plays with, the family that helps him, and etc.

let's see where it goes
Feb 5, 8:52 PM
Jan 2024
kind of comforting
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

162 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

168 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 22, 8:05 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.