Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 2 Discussion


Oct 17, 2016 3:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 254
Akari is amazing!

This show does something to me, man. About midway through both of these episodes, I could feel my eyes watering. Something about how the presentation comes together hits me on a deep level.
 
Oct 17, 2016 4:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 246
I'm a little worried about how they plan to stretch a plot over 23 episodes, but even with just these two episodes I feel pretty sucked in so at this point, I'm not SUPER worried about things falling flat. That being said, I almost assumed that we were going to start in the midst of Rei's stagnation period in his shogi career and not right before hand? I wonder if that expectation is what is causing the light tone to fall flat for many viewers. The first episode also seemed to want to hint at drama and then immediately leave it. I think at this point whether you're alright with waiting some episodes for the drama to commence or whether you feel like you shouldn't have to wait a lot of episodes to get to the "good bits" is what will make or break the initial presentation for people.

Personally, I'm kind of conflicted about it, because like I said before, I still feel pretty entertained right now despite no immediate return on the drama and I don't mind waiting for the show to set things up, but after seeing a few series that had me wholly sucked in by episode one I'm starting to lose patience for a lot of the shows coming out this season who's pilot episodes are mediocre at best. I do actually like the presentation of the comedy/light-hardheartedness at the moment, so I think i'm willing to wait a few more episodes to set things up, since there are 23 episodes after all. I don't know if I'd really want to watch 23 episodes of intense angst so, I'm ok with some light-hardheartedness.

Overall, really nice episode. I enjoyed it. I don't really have any other comments because the conflict really hasn't started yet so... 4/5! This is one of the more "serious" shows I have some hope for, unlike a few other edgy/serious ones which i'm either watching despite the poor quality or considering dropping /:
Modified by 1290349450394a, Oct 17, 2016 4:41 PM
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
 
Oct 17, 2016 5:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 7598
I wonder how many here will actually tear up in the next episode. Manga readers will know. :)
<<<< Click to see how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal

 
Oct 17, 2016 5:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 2811
Totally love this show. The melancholy is very poignant and present, but it's not totally in-your-face all the time. Feels like real life. People go through unhappy things and have to endure and even reminisce, some people put things off to the back of their mind and try to avoid thinking about it. Then all those troubled times will be punctuated by moments of calm and perhaps even some happiness, but in the end nothing is constant except for the passage of time.

Somehow I feel like if they made a J-Drama of this show, it would still work perfectly well, including the humorous parts, because the people being portrayed here are all so real. In fact, I'd love if they actually made a live drama of this show, monologues and all.

The Akari was great as a motherly role, and the two sempai shougi players were funny, but still believable characters. Not sure what to think of the fat kid, but I don't like that he doesn't listen to other people. Momo of course was super cute clinging onto Rei's leg at the supermarket.

Looking forward to the next episode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
 
Oct 18, 2016 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7622
Great episode! The comedy slammed in his face at the beginning, is a valuable counterweight soon after, the whole is well managed narration. The clarification on places, it's a great trump card, not to mention the dialogues, so deep. In short the narrative is so sweet and serious, very good scenes, and designs, ditto for the soundtrack.
 
Oct 18, 2016 2:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 231
L-Ryoshi said:
Totally love this show. The melancholy is very poignant and present, but it's not totally in-your-face all the time. Feels like real life. People go through unhappy things and have to endure and even reminisce, some people put things off to the back of their mind and try to avoid thinking about it. Then all those troubled times will be punctuated by moments of calm and perhaps even some happiness, but in the end nothing is constant except for the passage of time.

Somehow I feel like if they made a J-Drama of this show, it would still work perfectly well, including the humorous parts, because the people being portrayed here are all so real. In fact, I'd love if they actually made a live drama of this show, monologues and all.

The Akari was great as a motherly role, and the two sempai shougi players were funny, but still believable characters. Not sure what to think of the fat kid, but I don't like that he doesn't listen to other people. Momo of course was super cute clinging onto Rei's leg at the supermarket.

Looking forward to the next episode.


There is going to be a two-part live action film adaptation of 3Lion; it was announced the same time as the anime series. Seems it's going to be out next year.
 
Oct 18, 2016 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 231
CaramelleAngel said:
...That being said, I almost assumed that we were going to start in the midst of Rei's stagnation period in his shogi career and not right before hand? I wonder if that expectation is what is causing the light tone to fall flat for many viewers...


Ugh... *is the one that wrote the series description at the original source* That was what I was afraid of when I saw that description being used here and a few other sites: whether or not that description was misrepresenting something about the series, due to my own misinterpretations of the source work or otherwise. And your post made me realize that my description may be misrepresenting the prominence of said stagnation. I mean, it's definitely there, and while it hasn't been mentioned in the anime yet, it will be mentioned as we go on. Regardless, I think I may have unintentionally presented as a "cause" rather than a "consequence" of his current mental state, and thus as something for the readers to focus on. For that, I apologize; I probably should thought about the description more and fine-tuned it when I first wrote it years ago.
 
Oct 18, 2016 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17474
First episode didn't really have that Shaft feel but this episode... the first 3 minutes and they're throwing their signature style all around.
 
Oct 18, 2016 9:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 196
Show is off to a pretty good start I think.

I think it is pretty clear what the story is about, well maybe more accurately it isn't being dishonest. The story is mostly about Rei and his complicated depressing past (old adopted family) juxtaposed to his bright spot/new family (the sisters). Plenty of Shogi stuff will be there where the focus is mostly on the impact of winning and losing has on him and others.

The story in the end is mostly about having family/friends as a support (or not) through your dark times as you try to fit into the world. This story (assuming we get that far) will cover some serious topics actually. Some of it implied/vague, others at the forefront.
 
Oct 19, 2016 1:20 PM
Acid flashback

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 8635
Akari takes her kindness to the next level and above. Actually sticking your fingers into a persons mouth to help them barf is something one would only do to the very, very closest of people.

Something about her working as a hostess worries me. It's a very exposed position.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

 
Oct 19, 2016 6:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 246
Bakazuki said:

Ugh... *is the one that wrote the series description at the original source* That was what I was afraid of when I saw that description being used here and a few other sites: whether or not that description was misrepresenting something about the series, due to my own misinterpretations of the source work or otherwise. And your post made me realize that my description may be misrepresenting the prominence of said stagnation. I mean, it's definitely there, and while it hasn't been mentioned in the anime yet, it will be mentioned as we go on. Regardless, I think I may have unintentionally presented as a "cause" rather than a "consequence" of his current mental state, and thus as something for the readers to focus on. For that, I apologize; I probably should thought about the description more and fine-tuned it when I first wrote it years ago.

oh haha! Sorry, didn't mean to call you out or anything (i'm kind of embarrassed). I've already adjusted my expectations, so I'm no longer really worried about it. I actually enjoyed sitting through both these episodes so it didn't really bother me, as much as confuse me. So i can kind of understand the early criticisms to a certain extent because rn the description (which is what made me decide to watch this show) and the first 2 episodes don't exactly sync? Like I said I'm enjoying it so I hope other people can as well once they know what their signing up for.

Also for me, it's to early to judge despite the overall lighthearted tone because of the episode count. If this was a 12 episode anime, I'd probably feel a little differently about the tonal shifts.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
 
Oct 20, 2016 11:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 4319
"In most anime in the sport’s genre, the first few episodes are basically spent treating the audience like an idiot, spending lifetimes describing in painstaking detail how the game is played, over commentating each minor action. This show doesn’t insult the viewer by doing that. Instead, we cut to a match in progress with no commentary. Just reactions from the players as they respond to the other’s moves. After each move, text appears on the screen to tell the audience what the play was. Like, “pawn moves to A4” for example. They don’t explain what the move did to the other player or even if it was an effective move, but judging by the expression on the opponent’s face, you can tell moving that pawn there put him at a disadvantage. I like how you don’t have to know anything about shogi to be invested in this match. Plus if you are a shogi fan, the show doesn’t spoon feed you by taking forty hours to explain why that was a good move."
 
Oct 20, 2016 3:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 200
Why do I have the feeling that I will tear up during this show.
The atmosphere is just incredible and I was in total mood the whole episode.
Also Akari is such a beautiful and heart-warming woman, definetly Waifu of the season.

5/5
 
Oct 20, 2016 3:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 2324
Now I want fried chicken

 
Oct 20, 2016 4:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 692
moodie said:
"In most anime in the sport’s genre, the first few episodes are basically spent treating the audience like an idiot, spending lifetimes describing in painstaking detail how the game is played, over commentating each minor action. This show doesn’t insult the viewer by doing that. Instead, we cut to a match in progress with no commentary. Just reactions from the players as they respond to the other’s moves. After each move, text appears on the screen to tell the audience what the play was. Like, “pawn moves to A4” for example. They don’t explain what the move did to the other player or even if it was an effective move, but judging by the expression on the opponent’s face, you can tell moving that pawn there put him at a disadvantage. I like how you don’t have to know anything about shogi to be invested in this match. Plus if you are a shogi fan, the show doesn’t spoon feed you by taking forty hours to explain why that was a good move."


Friendly reminder that this isn't a sports anime
 
Oct 20, 2016 9:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 8562
Akari best girl ever
Rei omg what a past
 
Oct 21, 2016 9:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 4319
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
moodie said:
"In most anime in the sport’s genre, the first few episodes are basically spent treating the audience like an idiot, spending lifetimes describing in painstaking detail how the game is played, over commentating each minor action. This show doesn’t insult the viewer by doing that. Instead, we cut to a match in progress with no commentary. Just reactions from the players as they respond to the other’s moves. After each move, text appears on the screen to tell the audience what the play was. Like, “pawn moves to A4” for example. They don’t explain what the move did to the other player or even if it was an effective move, but judging by the expression on the opponent’s face, you can tell moving that pawn there put him at a disadvantage. I like how you don’t have to know anything about shogi to be invested in this match. Plus if you are a shogi fan, the show doesn’t spoon feed you by taking forty hours to explain why that was a good move."


Friendly reminder that this isn't a sports anime
Its a comparison to sports anime. Sports in all sense of purpose is a game. And in sports anime the game is very much told in heavy exposition.
Modified by moodie, Oct 21, 2016 10:23 AM
 
Oct 21, 2016 2:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7170
Akari is bae. I love her so much.
 
Oct 21, 2016 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 5471
Aah, Akari is truly the best character of this show and this episode just confirmed it. It was also nice to see her backstory with Kei and to learn of her job (she was kinda hot in that dress!)

But why or why are his rivals such dorks.. first 6 or so minutes were nearly unwatchable for me as I can't stand slapstick like that. And this show is really bad at comedy so far, better not go that way too often.
Not fan of those two talking cats either.

The second part was pretty bittersweet though. To learn that no only Kei had lost his parents but also his sister in car crash and to find out that even Akari, Hina and Momo are orphans left to be cared by their grandparents who are also still ruined by loss of their child, was pretty heavy moment. Have to say the Shaft did this part really well and they finally found their style with music and backgrounds on spot this time.

With their loss both Kei and all sisters shares the same fate, which is interesting to see as that also why they are so close to each other. They need each other, help each other, lean to each other and I'm very curious about their further interactions.

This show is bittersweet because it shows a life as it is and that's why there is a potential for this show to be very good. Shaft has still same way to go to make it perfect.
 
Oct 21, 2016 4:28 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 10
It's not that I hate comedy... but I thought the comedic moments in this episode were incredibly unfunny and cringeworthy. Huge disappointment after the beautiful first episode.
 
Oct 21, 2016 10:57 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2793
so warm & fuzzy.
No real head tilts yet, tho we got text cards & color filters now.
Those pigeons & cats were funny.
Enjoying Rei's internal monologue a lot. Akari great 'mother' role.
Curious shogi match. Seems 3 pieces can move like chess horse was confusing, pieces can flip somehow, extras can teleport into the board, there's bishop that moves diagonally, & pawn not sure how it moves.
 
Oct 22, 2016 10:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 8437
Mu only criticism is I wish the rules of shogi were explained, but that's a minor gripe.
 
Oct 23, 2016 5:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Once again, the OSTs in this anime are absolutely beautiful. I love the atmosphere of this episode. Has a warm and nostalgic feel for some reason. And Akari is such a sweet and kind-hearted soul.

WolfWood37 said:
Mu only criticism is I wish the rules of shogi were explained, but that's a minor gripe.


They don't do that in the manga either. I mean, Umino-sensei has shogi experts talk about the game, about their customs and the various tournaments but they never go down to the basics. If you know a lot about shogi, you'll enjoy the matches. But even if you don't, you won't be missing much anyway in terms of plot. :D

 
Oct 23, 2016 6:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 359
So far, this is one of the better slice-of-life series that I've seen. I'd enjoy the shogi sections more if I knew the rules.
 
Oct 23, 2016 11:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 264
I should actually look up the rules of Shogi one of these days, so I can actually understand wtf is going on during these tournaments.
 
Oct 23, 2016 12:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 21083
Another great episode. I'm really enjoying this so far. Nikaido is hilarious :P The "rival" is always good to see lol, even if it's one-sided. Akari is simply an amazing character, taking care of Rei like that when she found him. So that's how he was introduced to the household! It seems like both of them have some pain they're trying to avoid (I'm guessing it's the death of their respective family members). The match in the middle was interesting too, but again unfortunately all I know is that it's sort of like chess :P Oh well, either way hoping to see what happens! The different art styles and filters really make each scene have its own unique touch and the mood really gets through :D
 
Oct 25, 2016 3:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2700
I highly doubt anyone in Japan or anywhere for that matter spends a long time creating rivals. I like Nikaido but that "rival" thing is so lame lol. In the real world, people plot more darker ways of revenge. They don't spend two years becoming a 2-Dan or whatever, they get poison and kill that person out of pure hatred and jealousy. Like that Indonesian girl who poisoned her "friend's" coffee and said "friend" died on the spot. That's how twisted the real world is. Still, this isn't the real world, despite this series being in the slice-of-life genre, this is Animu world where everything is all about panties, big tits and adults acting like demented 3-year-olds! :D

OMG, Akari is so hot, she got a donk! D: Kidding aside, she's such a nice person, I'm sure she gets a lot of shit from perverts that visit her club. I still can't imagine her and Rei as a couple. Reminds me of my cousin's deadbeat ex-husband who is seven years younger than her and left her for a younger woman eventually although I'm sure Rei isn't a deadbeat. I'm a judgmental fucker who hates it when either the man or woman is too old for their partner. It feels weird.
There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards.
 
Oct 26, 2016 2:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 88
I really like the dramatic story angle of this, but all the rest is just not worth it.
The slapstick comedy is completely out of place and most of the character designs are downright creepy.
I also don't get what his problem seems to be,he has symptoms of depression, trauma, social anxiety, autism,etc. But not something that is a solid issue. It seems lik the writer just gave him "issues" to deal with, without really knowing anything about actual issues people deal with.
I am really trying to like this, but there is just to much that annoys me about this show.
 
Nov 4, 2016 1:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 295
My only complaint is whenever a shougi scene occurs it's extremely boring and I just have no idea, because I don't know the rules ;w;


My Badges
 
Nov 5, 2016 12:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 15025
reflections and homelike melancholy in a episode that run to the rythm of the sweet melody of background ;)


Hello, my litte boy!


 
Nov 15, 2016 2:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1026
i love akari...

also i am slowly regretting starting this show while it's still airing. i should have been more patient and just waited until it was complete
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Nov 29, 2016 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2539
That scene with Momo at the grocery store was absolutely adorable <3 My goodness Akari is a saint and the bar scene with the two senpai's was funny.

 
Dec 11, 2016 3:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2390
I'm liking this a lot. Not much going on for now, but you can feel the immense buildup.
 
Dec 19, 2016 2:03 PM
oreomonogatari

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 919
I think this episode was better than the last one. It provided a lot of important details like how he met the sisters and why he's depressed, so that's good. The comedy hasn't quite been working on me yet so I'll have to see where that goes. Overall I am enjoying this series so far, it's quite relaxing to watch.
 
Jan 13, 2017 11:24 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
Wow. Just... wow. Animation, narrative, music, so far this is outstanding.
 
Feb 14, 2017 4:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 164
Really in love with the writing so far. I don't care for the art style too much but It might grow on me.

I had totally forgot that this was by Shaft til i saw some comments, and wow. They can do all kind of styles.

I'm liking the MC because I have a friend that reminds me of him so much so I'm looking forward to see how this character works out his problem. Plus I've always liked board games of this nature (Chest) Pretty cool seeing some competitive in here.



I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!


https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
 
Mar 17, 2017 1:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 516
What's the point of talking cats? That's retarded, annoying and completely unnecessary.
 
Mar 19, 2017 9:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 4886
I'm loving the way this show unravels what seems to be painful pasts ever so slowly, balancing what's currently happening with what it reminds them of.

Also, perfect woman spotted. Maigad
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
 
Mar 25, 2017 4:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1526
Nice to meet some new characters! I can't help but be reminded of Hikari no Go when watching this show but I guess they won't really be "teaching" us readers at all.
 
Mar 31, 2017 5:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 512
Akari's great and all but so far she seems a little too-perfect-male-fantasy to me. It seems they'll give her more depth though so, yay.

Also, people who hate depressed characters irk me...how about having some empathy? Sorry not everyone is a screaming, egomaniac shounen hero...

 
Apr 3, 2017 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 25569
Loving the balans this anime has between the usual slice of life parts and the more dramatic parts and backstory!

Pretty lovely development, let's see what's next!
 
Apr 10, 2017 7:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1835
it's nice to see Akari in that outfit. I was wondering if she ever develop feelings to Rei.
 
May 12, 2017 12:06 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 4081
The beginning was boring but after that it went like a ferrari car man I didn't know it even finished so damn good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jul 24, 2017 7:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 14570
Honestly I didn't think the anime would have so much comedy. Also, I'm liking the sisters more and more.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
 
Oct 6, 2017 5:18 PM
Kami-sama

Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3275
I guess I can get into this, I can see why people like it.. it has great monologue and direction and gives off a very warm and fuzzy vibe just like series like Natsume.
 
Oct 7, 2017 5:33 PM

Online
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4837
I mean, I don't care about Shogi at all and like that, but this is just too good. :D
 
Oct 11, 2017 8:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 205
I am expecting the story to be as good as Honey and Clover .
This episode was so good.
 
Jan 11, 2018 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 15153
Man, I simply don't understand the complaints about the humor. Whether it's funny or not, it works as a contrast to Rei's depression/overall gloominess. You know why some of the characters are having fun and it contrasts with Rei? Because they are simply happier than him. That said, I definitely get a feeling of sadness in the sisters household.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
 
Feb 27, 2018 3:59 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 667
Beautiful second half. I enjoy the dramatic and serious moments of this show. The music fits so well and it sometimes gives me a little shigatsu vibe.
 
Mar 8, 2018 3:54 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 185
It's only 2 episode and i already in love with this show OMG! Akari work as hostess kinda make me surprised, therefore it make the story even deeper.
 
Top
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »