Forum Settings
Forums

Idea that 5 should be the average score of mal users

New
Do you believe 5 should be the average score of mal users?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 13, 2016 8:56 PM

Oct 2014
The word "average" should never have been chosen as a descriptor for the "5" score. "Average" is a calculation not a quality.

As a result of this unfortunate word choice there is an ambiguity occurring between the informal and improper use of "average" as a qualitative adjective and its proper meaning as a calculation.

The true average (using its proper calculational meaning) is around the 7-ish mark for reasons many people have already stated: choosing titles we are likely to enjoy, bad anime being dropped before reaching the 1/5 scoring threshold, etc.

I'd add that studios aren't in the business to purposely produce bad shows and any studio that put out a string of bad shows wouldn't be around very long to produce any more shows. And all the studios would have to do that in order to achieve this "5 should be the average score" notion.

Really, a far better descriptor for the "5" score would be "weak, mediocre, meh, unremarkable" or similar.
8oomerOct 13, 2016 8:59 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Oct 13, 2016 9:17 PM

Mar 2016
Yeah it's a good idea,
5 is average between 1 and 10
I want to do that.

But in my opinion 5.5 is better for average(because 6 is round from 5.5, i choose 6 as average score)

Oct 13, 2016 9:22 PM

Jul 2009
This shit is why a lot of people stop scoring after awhile
Oct 13, 2016 9:28 PM

Jun 2015
BlueBalls said:
I respect users with an average score below 6 more because I imagine they hold their anime to high standards.

...Or they just watch a lot of bad anime :P I try to avoid watching shows I would potentially rate less than 7, so I think it's reasonable to have an average between 7 and 8.

OT: I think people should rate how they like because in the end it seems "7" is still the actual average on MAL. So, one way or another, it's working out.
MonogatariLSDOct 13, 2016 9:32 PM
Oct 13, 2016 9:33 PM

Jan 2008
The reason the average is so 'high' is because, get this, most people actually enjoy what they choose to watch. No joke. Those with low mean scores are the minority and generally force themselves to watch shows they don't enjoy to play critic or something.
Oct 13, 2016 9:34 PM

Mar 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
merryfistmas said:
because scores mean different things to different people. Believe it or not, some people might enjoy an anime they scored 7. Why do people not get this? Why am I commenting in this thread, there's no proper mean score, stop worrying about this shit.

i was assuming were going off what the actual scoring system says, but

5 and below = WTF?

6: enjoyed it, but it was meh

7: definitely liked it, but doesn't stand out at all

8: really like it

9: Loved it

10: FUCK YES!

thats how i look at it, so naturally i don't think a mean score of 5 is a true fan of anime and i wouldn't say someone loves anime unless theyre at least 7.5ish or above

obviously i only care to point out the "fuck yes!" anime lol
Those are just words, and don't adequately describe the feelings you have towards a show. If you care if somebody is a onetrueanimefan, talk to them, don't judge by weird arbitrary metrics.
Oct 13, 2016 9:36 PM

Apr 2015
I don't want my average score to be a 5 because I don't want to watch that much shitty anime.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 13, 2016 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
I don't even take the risk with watching things I can tell I'm not going to like, so I tend to rate highly because everything I put the effort into is at least worth the time I spent.

My scores get lower as I get more and more frustrated forcing myself to sit through something.
Oct 13, 2016 9:45 PM
Jul 2012
I rate 5 as average but thing is I only watch stuff that I like. If the show is average to bad and I'm not motivated to finish it I just drop it, usually before even finishing the first episode/adding it on my list
Oct 13, 2016 9:51 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
merryfistmas said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

i was assuming were going off what the actual scoring system says, but

5 and below = WTF?

6: enjoyed it, but it was meh

7: definitely liked it, but doesn't stand out at all

8: really like it

9: Loved it

10: FUCK YES!

thats how i look at it, so naturally i don't think a mean score of 5 is a true fan of anime and i wouldn't say someone loves anime unless theyre at least 7.5ish or above

obviously i only care to point out the "fuck yes!" anime lol
Those are just words, and don't adequately describe the feelings you have towards a show. If you care if somebody is a onetrueanimefan, talk to them, don't judge by weird arbitrary metrics.

if you love a show you should give it a score that reflects love lol, or i won't take you claiming you love it seriously

thats just how i see it
Oct 13, 2016 10:01 PM

Jun 2008
My average is 7 because anything lower than that is a failure mark in my country.
So to me, 5 isn't Average, it's MEH, only watch it if you don't have anything better to do.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 13, 2016 10:15 PM

Feb 2016
DecimoXX said:

Thus average score being around 7.5 is normal, and we should use that as a point to judge if a person is over scoring or under scoring animes

lol, fuck yesss. it was me. i'm normal :P
but according to graph anime plus, my mean score is 0.6 higher than majority of mal users. so i'm agree with you that people has a high standard (or pretend to be) if it comes about taste in anime
Oct 13, 2016 10:31 PM

Nov 2015
One day you will all grow up and realize that no one gives a flying shit about petty stuff like this and people will rate the way they want to.
Grow up lads..
Oct 13, 2016 10:41 PM

Oct 2014
The average score for someone who is enjoying anime should be around 6-7. I mean maybe i am different, but for me it's normal to drop shows which I don't enjoy (for me scores from 1-4 are what I dont like)
Oct 13, 2016 10:44 PM

Oct 2014
EcchiLordMamster said:
my mean score is 9+ because i just enjoy anime that much and never get bored of it in the slightest

i don't see why anyone would claim they "love anime" if their mean score is below like 7.5 lol....

if you think most anime sucks, you don't LOVE anime.... lol.... i don't care how many shows you've watched

"i only like 3 songs by this artist, despite their 5 albums... i love this artist"

gtfo lol
Man, I respected you. Since when does a low mean score indicate anything about enjoyment? Not everyone uses the rating scale in the same way.

"Man, I really love this artist and I really enjoy listening to their songs, but they're really not for everyone and they do tend to include a lot of filler songs on their albums. Nonetheless I'd give them a solid 3/5."

Also, although you should be trying to watch anime that interest you, if you do happen to watch an anime that isn't your thing you shouldn't lie to yourself about it being better than you actually thought it was. Honestly any mean score between 4.4 and 7.8 is fine as long as the person uses it well. If you don't give yourself enough room to rate anime then it's harder to tell what your taste is but if you give low yet descriptive scores to most anime then I don't think that's good either. A score between 5 and 6.5 would be ideal. Even though we share 179 titles MAL considers you to have "no taste" since all of the anime we share that you've scored you've given 10s to.

I do have a few review now and you can see where they are on my rating system. So far I've given reviews for anime I've given 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10. https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=776542
zombie_pegasusOct 13, 2016 10:49 PM
Oct 13, 2016 11:09 PM

May 2012
NO NO NO NO NO
Absolutely not! 10 is perfect. If you check my bio you would understand. I always wish all other listing sites like goodreads for example, would keep an out of 10 rating like MAL and IMDb. 5 is never enough. It would be appropriate if you could score in DECIMALS like 3.6, 4.1, 2.9 , etc otherwise not. I sometimes wish even 10 is not enough and should contain decimals system
Fancy Quote
Anime isn't Life
But what's Life without some Anime, NEEEEEEE!!!!!
Oct 13, 2016 11:22 PM

Oct 2014
TheFlowingStream said:
NO NO NO NO NO
Absolutely not! 10 is perfect. If you check my bio you would understand. I always wish all other listing sites like goodreads for example, would keep an out of 10 rating like MAL and IMDb. 5 is never enough. It would be appropriate if you could score in DECIMALS like 3.6, 4.1, 2.9 , etc otherwise not. I sometimes wish even 10 is not enough and should contain decimals system
Well hello mister "half my list is rated 8 and above", are you sure you would even benefit from being allowed decimals? You only have a 6 point rating system, 5-10 with a few stragglers which are essentially just part of the score of 5.

Also 10 isn't "perfect", it's labeled as "masterpiece" which does imply some imperfections. No anime can be perfect and that would be no reason to throw out the highest rating.
Oct 14, 2016 12:04 AM

Apr 2010
People don't tend to see animes they don't find attracting at first, which will probably lead to avoiding at least part of the individually bad animes. If you are a picker in any way, there shouldn't be 5 average.

Oct 14, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

However you cheated in order to have such a high average score by rating only a show below 10. Your love is built on lies :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2016 12:46 AM

Oct 2015
Many of the viewers only watch popular shows like Code geass and One punch man or the shows they heard interesting, so they are more likely to end up liking the shows and give them above 6.

So the thing you said is next to impossible mate.
Oct 14, 2016 12:48 AM
Oct 2015
Anything I don't enjoy I usually drop without even bothering to put it on my list. I have never finished a show that I would put at 5 or under so why the hell would my median score be a 5?
Oct 14, 2016 12:52 AM

Jun 2015
If 5/10 means something is equally good and bad, why would you want that? A show that is 50% bad shouldn't be considered an average show, nor should any producer aim for that.

The average metacritic score is around 70-75 because the average entertainment product should be mostly good, with some issues. Anything less than that tarnishes the overall experience in a major way for most people.

For a show to get 5+, it has to do some things right. But if 5 means half good half bad, that shouldn't be the standard nor should it be accepted as the norm.

I don't have the time anymore do waste on crappy anime, or even mediocre shows for that matter. I do think my average is high, but at the same time, the average HD a reflection of what I'm spending my free time on, and I'm not going to go out of my way to lower it.
Oct 14, 2016 12:57 AM

Oct 2014
Maybe 3 should be labeled as "average" so people get the idea that 5 should be the average of what you have seen rather than average of the medium and therefore unwatchable garbage.
Oct 14, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2015
takenMalUsername said:
tragedydesu said:
the majority give 7 to anime they think is mediocre ....
the reason why i mostly avoid anime below 7.5

Does that mean a 7 is used for average or the average is 7 because everything is seen as good?

7 is used for average
anything rated below 7 is considered bad by mal standards
Oct 14, 2016 2:17 AM

Dec 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
DecimoXX said:

Finally someone who seem to understand what I meant!

nòpe.
everyone (pretty much) understands, but sees no point of discussion.

It's like, make a thread about "Hamburg is more north than Napoli" - err, yeah, right, but so what ?

If you agree with what is being said and feel no need to discuss it, you can just cast your vote and leave. Its simple as that
Oct 14, 2016 2:20 AM

Dec 2015
Khalan said:
according to Sturgeon's law 90% of all anime are shit, so your average should be LOWER than 5

Unless you avoid all the shit anime. Not everyone go into anime without first finding out if it is likely to be good or not
Oct 14, 2016 3:12 AM

Jun 2012
These scores could be interpreted in many possibilities. And the way I see it:

The 5550th anime in the rankings had a mean score of 6.41 evaluated by 9,706 members. Most users do certainly avoid shows that was rated under a score of 6 so its highly likely that your anime list is mainly composed of titles within Top 1 - 6000 anime. If this is your case, then its not disputable to have a mean score of 6.41 or higher unless you are a masochist.
Oct 14, 2016 3:24 AM

Oct 2015
Then 9.x-10 is a taboo, and only super hyper overrated anime get that score.
===================
My idea? Not applicable, yes. Just random brainstorming, Give .5 point instead of that integer number.
Turn 1-10 to 5-10 with 0.5 point raise.

No one use 1-5 point these day, except for bashing, personal hate and salty mark.
Oct 14, 2016 4:20 AM

Aug 2014
Yes, because then the ratings will be less inflated and we will be able to distinguish between what the people/community really like and what they like, what they think is ok, bad ..etc.

Anyway movie community has the same retarded mindset, they score everything between 7-10.
Oct 14, 2016 4:41 AM

Feb 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
merryfistmas said:

if you love a show you should give it a score that reflects love lol, or i won't take you claiming you love it seriously

thats just how i see it

If I like some shows more and some less, the only way to show it is by scoring them differently...
Not that the scores matter anyway but making your own ranking is kind of a hobby.
I also think everyone who watches anime likes it, even if they deny it/you make some wrong assumptions.
Klassical said:
Yes, because then the ratings will be less inflated and we will be able to distinguish between what the people/community really like and what they like, what they think is ok, bad ..etc.

Anyway movie community has the same retarded mindset, they score everything between 7-10.

Thats the best answer since that is what scores were intended for.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 14, 2016 4:41 AM

Mar 2015
Or mal users can know their taste and preferences well and pick anime they would watch carefully. And even if they pick a shitty anime, they can just drop it at 3/4 episodes and avoid rating it altogether.

You don't need to watch everything you come across. Or rate everything just to satisfy your urge to pretend you're a cynical critic.
Oct 14, 2016 6:37 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
my mean score is 9+ because i just enjoy anime that much and never get bored of it in the slightest

i don't see why anyone would claim they "love anime" if their mean score is below like 7.5 lol....

if you think most anime sucks, you don't LOVE anime.... lol.... i don't care how many shows you've watched

"i only like 3 songs by this artist, despite their 5 albums... i love this artist"

gtfo lol
Man, I respected you. Since when does a low mean score indicate anything about enjoyment? Not everyone uses the rating scale in the same way.

"Man, I really love this artist and I really enjoy listening to their songs, but they're really not for everyone and they do tend to include a lot of filler songs on their albums. Nonetheless I'd give them a solid 3/5."

Also, although you should be trying to watch anime that interest you, if you do happen to watch an anime that isn't your thing you shouldn't lie to yourself about it being better than you actually thought it was. Honestly any mean score between 4.4 and 7.8 is fine as long as the person uses it well. If you don't give yourself enough room to rate anime then it's harder to tell what your taste is but if you give low yet descriptive scores to most anime then I don't think that's good either. A score between 5 and 6.5 would be ideal. Even though we share 179 titles MAL considers you to have "no taste" since all of the anime we share that you've scored you've given 10s to.

I do have a few review now and you can see where they are on my rating system. So far I've given reviews for anime I've given 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10. https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=776542

everything i said was based on the way I rate anime... i understand not everyone rates the same way

don't forget, im not a critic at all, i rate entirely off enjoyment, i just personally think people should make it obvious when they LOVE something, so if i see a score 6, im automatically gonna assuming ppl didn't love the show... that is all

im not a "this anime is better than this one" person, im a "this anime was more enjoyable than this one" person

iirc you rate 1/2 critical and 1/2 enjoyment so obviously your scores are gonna be more varied, that to me though makes it harder to tell which of those in the 5-7 range you actually loved lol

trust me, i don't think the shows i watch are amazing from a story/plot standpoint, ofc i don't i just don't care about that, i care to show what i enjoyed the most

i just like to know what ppl enjoyed the most by their scores

zal said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

However you cheated in order to have such a high average score by rating only a show below 10. Your love is built on lies :D

LMAO i explained already that:

1. 10 = "this show found a special place in my heart", NOT "this show is better than the others"

i didn't even know we had a mean score until this year (one of the many things i only learned this year) and i was obviously already giving only 10s before that

To sum it up, I care more about what ppl enjoyed the most more than what they thought was critically good, so I like to see that I'm their score
EcchiGodMamsterOct 14, 2016 6:59 AM
Oct 14, 2016 7:10 AM

May 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:
zal said:

LMAO i explained already that:

1. 10 = "this show found a special place in my heart", NOT "this show is better than the others"

i didn't even know we had a mean score until this year (one of the many things i only learned this year) and i was obviously already giving only 10s before that
I am not talking about your 10s but about all the other shows that you didn't rate. Judging someone for their average when you don't even rate most of your shows doesn't sound right.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2016 7:58 AM

Oct 2014
@EcchiLordMamster I actually do have a second system for enjoyment that is held in my tags (0-11). Some of them are very far from my main scores of the anime.
Oct 14, 2016 8:57 AM

Aug 2014
Only if you use a random number generation to decide what anime you watch.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 14, 2016 9:00 AM

Jul 2014
OP WHY DID YOU PUT NO BEFORE YES. WHYYYYYY.

But yes, 5 should be the average.
aqing0601Oct 14, 2016 9:05 AM
Oct 14, 2016 11:31 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I am not talking about your 10s but about all the other shows that you didn't rate. Judging someone for their average when you don't even rate most of your shows doesn't sound right.[/quote]

Oh well I don't really care about my mean lol... all I care is to point out the shows I enjoyed the most

And even if I rated other anime, it's just gonna be a bunch of 7-9s

@zombie_pegasus

You know me, I'm super obvious about my taste in anime, and I just feel score should reflect that
Oct 14, 2016 11:33 AM

Dec 2015
aqing0601 said:

Did you read carefully what I said? My opinion is 5 should NOT be the mean score of people
Oct 14, 2016 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
DecimoXX said:
aqing0601 said:

Did you read carefully what I said? My opinion is 5 should NOT be the mean score of people

I'm not agreeing with you when I said yes; I was agreeing with myself, sorry about that confusion.
And I think that 5 should be the average score.

e:mean to average.
aqing0601Oct 14, 2016 12:59 PM
Oct 14, 2016 11:58 AM

May 2016
5 should be mediocre (meaning no severe flaws, but ultimately boring, uninteresting and forgettable)
6 should be average (with the interpretation that average=fine, representing the lowest tier among satisfactory anime)
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 14, 2016 12:14 PM

Dec 2015
aqing0601 said:
DecimoXX said:

I'm not agreeing with you when I said yes; I was agreeing with myself, sorry about that confusion.
And I think that 5 should be the mean score.

Alright, but can you tell me the reasons for it? Preferably after reading comments of others on this discussion so you can give a good answer :-)
ZerukOct 14, 2016 12:34 PM
Oct 14, 2016 12:28 PM

Oct 2015
Well yeah that makes sense but at the end the only people who care about scores are the ones who think of anime as their >>hobby<< and make themselves watch shitty anime because "it might get better". Lol waste of time im ranting what yea
Oct 14, 2016 12:48 PM

May 2015
Darek said:
DecimoXX said:
This may seem correct at first as 5 is the score right at middle.

I think you've skipped your maths classes 'cause 5.5 is in the middle...

OT: Why are people still making those thread just why? arghhh....
funny how youve only been around for a few months and you already recognise the cesspool that is mal threads
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Oct 14, 2016 12:52 PM
Oct 2016
I think if you hit between a 5-7.5 average rating you probably take your critique of anime pretty seriously and can be trusted to give a decent rating. If you have something like an 8-9 average you probably truly love the anime you watch regardless, so that's also probably trust worthy.

Personally, I think the average rating of a user is just a good way to gauge how they view the rating system, so you can make an educated guess as to their system. Beyond that, I don't think their needs to be a solid "perfect average point" for users.
Oct 14, 2016 12:53 PM

Jul 2014
DecimoXX said:

Alright, but can you tell me the reasons for it? Preferably after reading comments of others on this discussion so you can give a good answer :-)

OP, don't tell me you expect me to read all these comments and then IMPROVE on them?

I could tell you my reason is that MAL actually gave you a guideline on these scores:

10-Masterpiece

9-Great

8-Very good

7-Good

6-Fine

5-Average

4-Bad

3-Very bad

2-Terrible

1-Appaling

Mathematically speaking,

Due to this, 5, should be the average. But due to how the distribution of the score system works, 5 would be the MODE but not the mean as your mean would always be higher than 5, I hope.

I just realized I wrote mean on the previous post instead of average, oops.
aqing0601Oct 14, 2016 1:02 PM
Oct 14, 2016 12:54 PM

Sep 2013
Personally my average is a 7 because most anime I watch are 'good' and this late in the game it would be annoying to re-rate my entire list so I'll just keep it that way :)
Oct 14, 2016 12:58 PM

Nov 2012
Yeah I do think 5 should be the rating for average quality shows. Those guys can keep rating all the shows they like and dislike with 10s and 1s, but please don't make 7s the average rating.
Oct 14, 2016 2:29 PM
Mar 2016
what the fuck, no, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, a score is your personal opinion not because it should be the standard
Oct 14, 2016 3:59 PM

May 2014
Every time a thread is made like this the anime community is one day closer to imploding in itself

Scoring is scaled to enjoyment and if I don't enjoy half the things I watch I don't know why I'd watch anime in the first place
Oct 14, 2016 4:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I like to use 7 as an average score, because I still tend to find average enjoyable and I feel like giving it a 5 would somewhat lowball something I still liked.

I don't really care what other people do with that, though, so I don't know how else to answer this question

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 5 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

30 by -Ryu »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

102 by TransferUser »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 4 hours ago

25 by LightWorker »»
8 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

69 by -Ryu »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.