Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Monthly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for September

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
#1
Oct 13, 2016 4:41 AM
News Team
Delivery Service

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2361
Here are the monthly manga and light novel rankings for September (August 29 - September 25)

Rank / Monthly sales by copies / Titles

Manga
*1. 607,543 Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.8
*2. 456,232 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.10
*3. 399,036 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.20
*4. 317,040 Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo Vol.200 Special Edition
*5. 315,591 Owari no Seraph Vol.12
*6. 304,311 World Trigger Vol.16
*7. 247,256 Mahoutsukai no Yome Vol.6
*8. 236,321 Fairy Tail Vol.57
*9. 203,477 Kekkai Sensen: Back 2 Back Vol.2
10. 188,418 Major 2nd Vol.6

11. 186,844 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.8
12. 180,360 Kimi ni Todoke Vol.27
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5
14. 165,793 Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.20
15. 162,786 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.46
16. 157,372 Skip Beat! Vol.39
17. 157,020 Handa-kun Vol.7
18. 156,030 Tokyo Tarareba-jou Vol.6
19. 140,159 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.22
20. 139,479 Uchuu Kyoudai Vol.29


Light Novels
*1. 460,783 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Bunko)
*2. 134,630 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Vol.20
*3. *93,263 Kimi no Na wa. Another Side: Earthbound
*4. *85,489 Kimi no Na wa. (Kadokawa Tsubasa Bunko)
*5. *83,556 Kagerou Daze Vol.7
*6. *54,685 No Game No Life Vol.9
*7. *54,209 Kotonoha no Niwa
*8. *45,629 Byousoku 5 Centimeter (Kadokawa Bunko)
*9. *38,670 Sword Art Online Vol.18
10. *36,637 Date A Live Vol.15

11. *34,582 Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Vol.8
12. *34,309 Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Vol.9
13. *32,628 Hataraku Maou-sama! 0 Vol.2
14. *31,379 Shinsetsu Ookami to Koushinryou: Ookami to Youhishi
15. *31,355 Ookami to Koushinryou Vol.18
16. *25,081 Goblin Slayer Vol.3
17. *23,759 Ensemble Stars! Kasei yo Ten made Todoke
18. *21,179 Okitegami Kyouko no Kakeibo
19. *20,709 Heavy Object Vol.12
20. *18,737 Hidan no Aria Vol.23

Source: Oricon Youtaijou

← Previous Month
 
#2
Oct 13, 2016 4:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 71
The continued success of TG makes me hope we can get a good, manga-accurate reboot of the anime soon.
"It is not society that determines people's futures. It is people who determine society's future."

 
#3
Oct 13, 2016 5:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2546
OMG JUST LOOK AT THE SALES OF TEN COUNT!! MORE THAN I EXPECTED!$ AWESOME!!
 
#4
Oct 13, 2016 5:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 617
Re:Zero vol. 9 is pretty high given its release date September 23.
Kimi no Na Wa sales is crazy. Also mahouka sales are high.
 
#5
Oct 13, 2016 5:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 52
Does kimi no nawa LN story is the same as the movie?
 
#6
Oct 13, 2016 6:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 564
11. 186,844 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol.8

Ok , can we have S2 please ?
..
and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
 
#7
Oct 13, 2016 6:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 21195
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5
Yaoi anime adaptation by DEEN when?
My review of Tokyo Ghoul √A was removed due to suppressions from unknown elements and had to be re-uploaded again. Click HERE to learn why!
 
#8
Oct 13, 2016 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2546
Comic_Sans said:
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5
Yaoi anime adaptation by DEEN when?


No deen please, we need more studio to animated BL manga. I hope we can get ATLEAST 1 OVA of 10 count! A-1 Pictures did very good for Doukyuusei!
 
#9
Oct 13, 2016 7:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 8640
Anonymousmon said:
Does kimi no nawa LN story is the same as the movie?


Shousetsu Kimi no Na wa., yes. Kimi no Na wa. ANOTHER SIDE:EARTHBOUND, no.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Monthly light novel sales ranks (from Jan 2015)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
 
Oct 13, 2016 7:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
kuuderes_shadow said:
Anonymousmon said:
Does kimi no nawa LN story is the same as the movie?


Shousetsu Kimi no Na wa., yes. Kimi no Na wa. ANOTHER SIDE:EARTHBOUND, no.
Which is why I bought both. I find it interesting that the sales of EARTHBOUND are not higher. I would have expected most people to buy both.
 
Oct 13, 2016 8:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 5542
Happy for TG again on no1 spot, that's what we need.
 
Oct 13, 2016 9:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 22476
This is some good stuff :)
16. *25,081 Goblin Slayer Vol.3
 
Oct 13, 2016 10:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10569
Aw ye, Spice & Wolf selling nicely :3
Good shit
 
Oct 13, 2016 12:01 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 595
Comic_Sans said:
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5
Yaoi anime adaptation by DEEN when?

nah, deenwillfuckitup

gr8 for Ten Count! I like dreaming but, madhouse2pussy410countadaptation
 
Oct 13, 2016 12:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1373
crx07 said:
Re:Zero vol. 9 is pretty high given its release date September 23.
Kimi no Na Wa sales is crazy. Also mahouka sales are high.


And how much need to sell copies of the one volume, that it was considered a success?
Level of my english is still too poor, so ask not particularly angry because of my terrible grammar.
 
Oct 13, 2016 1:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
Oh, god... When the fu** they'll finally Spice & Wolf S3-adaptation give us, it has been damn it long ago since at that time!!! Source materials are more than enough for (meanwhile even for few additionally seasons), there is already a spin-off LN series...
 
Oct 13, 2016 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 2159
Whitefox i'm still waiting for the devil is a part timer s2.
 
Oct 13, 2016 1:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 11516
Cool to see Boku no Hero and Shokugeki near the top.
 
Oct 13, 2016 2:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
Tenryuu1 said:
Oh, god... When the fu** they'll finally Spice & Wolf S3-adaptation give us, it has been damn it long ago since at that time!!! Source materials are more than enough for (meanwhile even for few additionally seasons), there is already a spin-off LN series...
Now that there's a spinoff, I'd say there is a chance. You're right that there is enough material for a third season. In fact there is enough material for another four seasons... it's unlikely we'll get that but getting another season to promote the spinoff material is quite possible. The other option of course is to wait until more of the spinoff novels are done and make an anime for that instead. Only the publisher knows what they want to do there. Either way, I'd love to see more of either the original or the spinoff get adapted into anime.
 
Oct 13, 2016 6:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 814
Comic_Sans said:
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5
Yaoi anime adaptation by DEEN when?

Never, hopefully.
Ten Count started off great but then all I remember in the later chapters are a bunch of rape scenes.
a-wise-man said:
It doesn't matter how many bishounens are in an anime if the plot is shit.
 
Oct 13, 2016 8:49 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
ultravigo said:
Whitefox i'm still waiting for the devil is a part timer s2.


me too. Till then

Yay fairy Tail!!!!!!!!!!!




Yay Skip Beat!!!!

 
Oct 13, 2016 11:14 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 237
Tokyo Ghoul:Re on top. Awesome.
 
Oct 14, 2016 2:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1379
Kimi no na wa absolute dominance. Beautiful
 
Oct 14, 2016 3:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 20320
World Trigger in top 10 is good, though wish it could sell ~400k in one month.
 
Oct 14, 2016 4:39 AM
Power Elite

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 258
Botato said:
World Trigger in top 10 is good, though wish it could sell ~400k in one month.


I'm just glad it sells so well and against a number of other popular shounen series, hopefully when enough manga material exists we'll get a S2 with a better budget for animation
 
Oct 14, 2016 5:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
hpulley said:
Now that there's a spinoff, I'd say there is a chance. You're right that there is enough material for a third season. In fact there is enough material for another four seasons... it's unlikely we'll get that but getting another season to promote the spinoff material is quite possible. The other option of course is to wait until more of the spinoff novels are done and make an anime for that instead. Only the publisher knows what they want to do there. Either way, I'd love to see more of either the original or the spinoff get adapted into anime.


Yeah, because I did hoped that they at 10th anniversary event of S&W (what in this years was...) finally the 3rd season announce would, but lol... Again a needless teasing of them...>_> Dunno on what they still waiting, every requirements for a 3rd season are already given, but they won't nevertheless us give... - Even the japanese fans are damn it angry for since few years meanwhile!
 
Oct 14, 2016 5:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 20320
laCloud said:
Botato said:
World Trigger in top 10 is good, though wish it could sell ~400k in one month.


I'm just glad it sells so well and against a number of other popular shounen series, hopefully when enough manga material exists we'll get a S2 with a better budget for animation
There's an anime event soon so maybe we'll hear something then.
 
Oct 14, 2016 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 132
13. 171,233 Ten Count Vol.5

Nice! If TC receive some animated version (OVA or anime) could break the 200k mark
 
Oct 14, 2016 9:09 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 283
Didn't think Kekkai Sensen sold that well, makes me happy though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 14, 2016 10:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
Tenryuu1 said:
hpulley said:
Now that there's a spinoff, I'd say there is a chance. You're right that there is enough material for a third season. In fact there is enough material for another four seasons... it's unlikely we'll get that but getting another season to promote the spinoff material is quite possible. The other option of course is to wait until more of the spinoff novels are done and make an anime for that instead. Only the publisher knows what they want to do there. Either way, I'd love to see more of either the original or the spinoff get adapted into anime.


Yeah, because I did hoped that they at 10th anniversary event of S&W (what in this years was...) finally the 3rd season announce would, but lol... Again a needless teasing of them...>_> Dunno on what they still waiting, every requirements for a 3rd season are already given, but they won't nevertheless us give... - Even the japanese fans are damn it angry for since few years meanwhile!
With just 1 more novel announced I didn't expect more anime. The spinoff novel made me interested but it is actually fairly rare for the original series to get more anime to promote the new series. It has been done, but not often. It is more common for the spinoff to get its own anime as it more directly promotes the spinoff.

Unfortunately it is well known that LN and manga adaptations only rarely adapt the entire work though recently there have been several cases of it happening so I think the chances are higher now than they were for S&W years ago. So perhaps it isn't true anymore that they never finish the adaptations; I certainly hope we see more complete works being animated.
 
Oct 14, 2016 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1360
Wow, those sales for Ten Count! The sales are larger than super lovers and love stage combined. It should definitely get an anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Oct 14, 2016 11:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 106460
> *7. 247,256 Mahoutsukai no Yome Vol.6

Nice. I'm really glad to see this series getting more attention this year. Hopefully a full TV anime adaptation in the future.
 
Oct 15, 2016 11:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 297
Series ranking

01) Tokyo Ghoul:re (693 688)
02) My Hero Academia (604 992)
03) Food Wars (486 266)
04) A Silent Voice (437 322)
05) Kochi Kame (411 001)
06) World Trigger (346 140)
07) Seraph of The End (344 123)
08) The Ancient Magus Bride (305 911)
09) Fairy Tail (290 782)
10) Seven Deadly Sins (288 500)
11) Days (264 652)
12) L'Attaque des Titans (244 173)
13) Kingdom (240 555)
14) Major 2nd (228 399)
15) Barakamon - Spin-off - Handa-kun (222 157)
16) One Piece (214 617)
17) Gekkan Shôjo Nozaki-kun (211 703)
18) Blood Blockade Battlefront - Back 2 Back (210 746)
19) 10 Count (200 247)
20) Tokyo Tarareba Musume (195 846)
 
Oct 15, 2016 12:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
hpulley said:
With just 1 more novel announced I didn't expect more anime. The spinoff novel made me interested but it is actually fairly rare for the original series to get more anime to promote the new series. It has been done, but not often. It is more common for the spinoff to get its own anime as it more directly promotes the spinoff.

Unfortunately it is well known that LN and manga adaptations only rarely adapt the entire work though recently there have been several cases of it happening so I think the chances are higher now than they were for S&W years ago. So perhaps it isn't true anymore that they never finish the adaptations; I certainly hope we see more complete works being animated.


Ehmm... I'd be mad, if they the spin-off suddenly adapt would, because they would pretty much skip (Season 2 is just on the most interesting place ended, in the LN begins from there best part..., and if they this at the adaptation skip would...)...


And I'd not say that it for manga's rare is that they a full adaptation get - especially at Shounen Jump-titles... Really, the popularity level between the both mediums (LN and manga) is more or less the same, but nevertheless will the manga favorized in the adaptation area. Like already mentioned before: Shounen Jump-title manga series like Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc. they getting their 10~20 seasons (what hundred of eps. means), but LN's only usualy max. 3 seasons... About fairness can't more speak...
 
Oct 15, 2016 12:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1334
Tenryuu1 said:
hpulley said:
With just 1 more novel announced I didn't expect more anime. The spinoff novel made me interested but it is actually fairly rare for the original series to get more anime to promote the new series. It has been done, but not often. It is more common for the spinoff to get its own anime as it more directly promotes the spinoff.

Unfortunately it is well known that LN and manga adaptations only rarely adapt the entire work though recently there have been several cases of it happening so I think the chances are higher now than they were for S&W years ago. So perhaps it isn't true anymore that they never finish the adaptations; I certainly hope we see more complete works being animated.


Ehmm... I'd be mad, if they the spin-off suddenly adapt would, because they would pretty much skip (Season 2 is just on the most interesting place ended, in the LN begins from there best part..., and if they this at the adaptation skip would...)...


And I'd not say that it for manga's rare is that they a full adaptation get - especially at Shounen Jump-titles... Really, the popularity level between the both mediums (LN and manga) is more or less the same, but nevertheless will the manga favorized in the adaptation area. Like already mentioned before: Shounen Jump-title manga series like Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc. they getting their 10~20 seasons (what hundred of eps. means), but LN's only usualy max. 3 seasons... About fairness can't more speak...


Popularity of manga and LN as medium are significantly different.Most people grown up with reading manga in Japan while LN is rather queer hobby for nerds.
 
Oct 15, 2016 1:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
umashikaneko said:
Tenryuu1 said:


Ehmm... I'd be mad, if they the spin-off suddenly adapt would, because they would pretty much skip (Season 2 is just on the most interesting place ended, in the LN begins from there best part..., and if they this at the adaptation skip would...)...


And I'd not say that it for manga's rare is that they a full adaptation get - especially at Shounen Jump-titles... Really, the popularity level between the both mediums (LN and manga) is more or less the same, but nevertheless will the manga favorized in the adaptation area. Like already mentioned before: Shounen Jump-title manga series like Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc. they getting their 10~20 seasons (what hundred of eps. means), but LN's only usualy max. 3 seasons... About fairness can't more speak...


Popularity of manga and LN as medium are significantly different.Most people grown up with reading manga in Japan while LN is rather queer hobby for nerds.
Which you can see above. Aside from the odd outlier like Kimi no Na Wa, on average the best selling manga outsell the best selling light novels by a factor of 5-20x. The price is similar so it often makes me wonder as LN authors either get a higher percentage or are paid less than mangaka. It is simply easier to read manga, it is a much more accessible medium than light novels.
 
Oct 15, 2016 8:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 305
ixaa said:
Comic_Sans said:
Yaoi anime adaptation by DEEN when?

Never, hopefully.
Ten Count started off great but then all I remember in the later chapters are a bunch of rape scenes.


It's not rape scenes, though. That was mutual, past chapter 25.

Still, I really hope Ten Count gets a proper anime, uncensored and fully adapted. They already fucked up Finder's "anime" with that animix, another series with great smut that would have a really good series cause it has continuous plot. Well, at least they are doing Super Lovers justice and it seems that S2 would follow-up on the innuendos actually.
Modified by Loyalty06, Oct 15, 2016 8:14 PM
 
Oct 15, 2016 10:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 814
Rio_Pascua said:
ixaa said:

Never, hopefully.
Ten Count started off great but then all I remember in the later chapters are a bunch of rape scenes.


It's not rape scenes, though. That was mutual, past chapter 25.

Still, I really hope Ten Count gets a proper anime, uncensored and fully adapted. They already fucked up Finder's "anime" with that animix, another series with great smut that would have a really good series cause it has continuous plot. Well, at least they are doing Super Lovers justice and it seems that S2 would follow-up on the innuendos actually.

lol how can it not be rape when one of them was literally saying "stop, stop" the whole entire scene
though this isn't a conversation to be had on this type of thread
a-wise-man said:
It doesn't matter how many bishounens are in an anime if the plot is shit.
 
Oct 16, 2016 12:49 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 8640
hpulley said:
umashikaneko said:


Popularity of manga and LN as medium are significantly different.Most people grown up with reading manga in Japan while LN is rather queer hobby for nerds.
Which you can see above. Aside from the odd outlier like Kimi no Na Wa, on average the best selling manga outsell the best selling light novels by a factor of 5-20x. The price is similar so it often makes me wonder as LN authors either get a higher percentage or are paid less than mangaka. It is simply easier to read manga, it is a much more accessible medium than light novels.


Almost certainly paid less, but then remember that most mangaka have several assistants that they have to employ, whereas novel writers don't. Also the cost of physically producing a novel is lower than the cost for a manga, so there is more money coming in from each sale even if the two products are sold at the same price.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Monthly light novel sales ranks (from Jan 2015)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
 
Oct 16, 2016 2:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1334
ixaa said:
Rio_Pascua said:


It's not rape scenes, though. That was mutual, past chapter 25.

Still, I really hope Ten Count gets a proper anime, uncensored and fully adapted. They already fucked up Finder's "anime" with that animix, another series with great smut that would have a really good series cause it has continuous plot. Well, at least they are doing Super Lovers justice and it seems that S2 would follow-up on the innuendos actually.

lol how can it not be rape when one of them was literally saying "stop, stop" the whole entire scene
though this isn't a conversation to be had on this type of thread


I agree the sheer amount of top selling manga and LN are very different,but in addition to this I think 300k selling manga are read by a lot larger number of people than 300k selling LN.

Mostly because people read manga in various ways other than buying tankobon for examples rental manga,reading on magazines,manga cafe,even normal cafes too most likely have popular manga magazines to read such as WSJ/WSM/YJ.

Even if tanko bon selling 300k,chances are it is read by whole a lot more people possibly 3 to 5 millions people

To be fair some libraries have popular light novels and you can buy used books too though.
 
Oct 16, 2016 2:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
kuuderes_shadow said:
hpulley said:
Which you can see above. Aside from the odd outlier like Kimi no Na Wa, on average the best selling manga outsell the best selling light novels by a factor of 5-20x. The price is similar so it often makes me wonder as LN authors either get a higher percentage or are paid less than mangaka. It is simply easier to read manga, it is a much more accessible medium than light novels.


Almost certainly paid less, but then remember that most mangaka have several assistants that they have to employ, whereas novel writers don't. Also the cost of physically producing a novel is lower than the cost for a manga, so there is more money coming in from each sale even if the two products are sold at the same price.
True, other than the illustrator and perhaps the editor, the staff involved in a light novel is much smaller. Some manga now have staff sized almost like a smaller anime production as they use a lot of CGI. Other manga are still fairly small productions, just 1-3 assistants.

I still wonder how the 5K/volume Oricon sales level LN authors get by. At that level I assume they also work another job full or part time to make ends meet.
 
Oct 16, 2016 2:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 8640
hpulley said:

I still wonder how the 5K/volume Oricon sales level LN authors get by. At that level I assume they also work another job full or part time to make ends meet.


I think the 5k level ones would get by fine, unless they get paid far less per sale than western authors.

You have to remember:
- Oricon sales don't report for all retailers.
- They don't include e-books at all, which make up a significant portion of light novel sales.
- The sales we see reported for a 5k seller would almost invariably only be the first week sales. Which would only be a small proportion of their eventual sales. Unfortunately we don't tend to see reranks of things that are flat sellers at around the 5k mark.
But flat sellers that rerank when an anime starts airing commonly show sales of about 2.5x the sales that new volumes get, which would indicate that this 5k seller is actually selling about 12.5k*. By Oricon standards. At a guess that could be about 30k in total? If you're releasing 4 books a year that would come to 120k books a year. Ignoring any additional royalties, advances and so forth, and assuming about 30-40 yen per book sold then that's 3.6-4.8 million yen per year which is more than enough to live on. Even if you cut a slice out of that for the illustrator.

On the other hand, selling 5k on the Oricon rankings means you're selling more than most light novels do...

... But then again low pay for writing is the norm everywhere.

*perhaps a bit less as this ignores the miniscule boost that comes from the attention a series garners from simple fact that a series is about to get an anime.

EDIT: lowered the yen/book rate to more accurately correlate to the book prices.
Modified by kuuderes_shadow, Oct 16, 2016 3:03 AM
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Monthly light novel sales ranks (from Jan 2015)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
 
Oct 16, 2016 5:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3947
kuuderes_shadow said:
hpulley said:

I still wonder how the 5K/volume Oricon sales level LN authors get by. At that level I assume they also work another job full or part time to make ends meet.


I think the 5k level ones would get by fine, unless they get paid far less per sale than western authors.

You have to remember:
- Oricon sales don't report for all retailers.
- They don't include e-books at all, which make up a significant portion of light novel sales.
- The sales we see reported for a 5k seller would almost invariably only be the first week sales. Which would only be a small proportion of their eventual sales. Unfortunately we don't tend to see reranks of things that are flat sellers at around the 5k mark.
But flat sellers that rerank when an anime starts airing commonly show sales of about 2.5x the sales that new volumes get, which would indicate that this 5k seller is actually selling about 12.5k*. By Oricon standards. At a guess that could be about 30k in total? If you're releasing 4 books a year that would come to 120k books a year. Ignoring any additional royalties, advances and so forth, and assuming about 30-40 yen per book sold then that's 3.6-4.8 million yen per year which is more than enough to live on. Even if you cut a slice out of that for the illustrator.

On the other hand, selling 5k on the Oricon rankings means you're selling more than most light novels do...

... But then again low pay for writing is the norm everywhere.

*perhaps a bit less as this ignores the miniscule boost that comes from the attention a series garners from simple fact that a series is about to get an anime.

EDIT: lowered the yen/book rate to more accurately correlate to the book prices.
Yeah, if the Oricon figures were only 10-20% of actual sales then you could get by alright as a 5K Oricon reported author. If not, then only the 30K+ sellers would be able to make a good living by writing alone.

Anime adaptations don't give the author much more money unless the book sales go up too. Just the manuscript fee and royalties don't actually amount to much (which I know directly from asking some of them, the royalties end up about the same per disc as per book sold as the percentage for them is very small). Thus a manga/novel boost is worth way more to them.
Modified by hpulley, Oct 16, 2016 5:12 AM
 
Oct 16, 2016 10:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
hpulley said:
kuuderes_shadow said:


I think the 5k level ones would get by fine, unless they get paid far less per sale than western authors.

You have to remember:
- Oricon sales don't report for all retailers.
- They don't include e-books at all, which make up a significant portion of light novel sales.
- The sales we see reported for a 5k seller would almost invariably only be the first week sales. Which would only be a small proportion of their eventual sales. Unfortunately we don't tend to see reranks of things that are flat sellers at around the 5k mark.
But flat sellers that rerank when an anime starts airing commonly show sales of about 2.5x the sales that new volumes get, which would indicate that this 5k seller is actually selling about 12.5k*. By Oricon standards. At a guess that could be about 30k in total? If you're releasing 4 books a year that would come to 120k books a year. Ignoring any additional royalties, advances and so forth, and assuming about 30-40 yen per book sold then that's 3.6-4.8 million yen per year which is more than enough to live on. Even if you cut a slice out of that for the illustrator.

On the other hand, selling 5k on the Oricon rankings means you're selling more than most light novels do...

... But then again low pay for writing is the norm everywhere.

*perhaps a bit less as this ignores the miniscule boost that comes from the attention a series garners from simple fact that a series is about to get an anime.

EDIT: lowered the yen/book rate to more accurately correlate to the book prices.
Yeah, if the Oricon figures were only 10-20% of actual sales then you could get by alright as a 5K Oricon reported author. If not, then only the 30K+ sellers would be able to make a good living by writing alone.

Anime adaptations don't give the author much more money unless the book sales go up too. Just the manuscript fee and royalties don't actually amount to much (which I know directly from asking some of them, the royalties end up about the same per disc as per book sold as the percentage for them is very small). Thus a manga/novel boost is worth way more to them.


Don't most light novel are first released in a magazine anthology like manga? If so then they receive a separate normal salary, just like mangaka. The fact that they don't need a specialized studio, paper(and other utensils) nor assistants means that they keep majority of the earnings.

Book royalties sales is around 10-15% of the actual sales(by sales means the books that aren't returned, if a library keeps the book in the shelves, the author receives that money).
I believe that Oricon reports at least 70-80% of sales(major retailers), just 10-20% is obviously not what it is reported(unless light novel reports are way worse than Manga and Disk reports).

How much does each volume of light novel costs? Around double of a manga right? around 640 yen.
10% of that is 64 yen per book. 5k copies means that per volume a 5k author gets 320k yen that is around 3200 dollars. 4 volumes per year means 1067 dollars per month and 12.8k per year. This is around half of the average yearly salary in Japan, and is only for the royalties of books.

For manga you need around 15k copies per volume to have a satisfactory salary just with the royalties, so I believe with Light novel is around half of that, 7.5k
 
Oct 16, 2016 11:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 8640
bigivelfhq said:

Don't most light novel are first released in a magazine anthology like manga?


Very very few are. Some magazines contain side stories or teasers but other than Fujimi Dragon Book and a few Fujimi Fantasia Bunko titles that are serialised in Dragon Magazine, and to a lesser extent series published in Shueisha's Cobalt magazine, it's become almost unheard of for a series to be released like that (and has been for a while now as well).

Book royalties sales is around 10-15% of the actual sales(by sales means the books that aren't returned, if a library keeps the book in the shelves, the author receives that money).


Is a typical range for novels, EXCLUDING the portion taken by the retailer and distributor.

I believe that Oricon reports at least 70-80% of sales(major retailers), just 10-20% is obviously not what it is reported(unless light novel reports are way worse than Manga and Disk reports).

As I previously stated, ebooks are not included in Oricon's sales figures and make up a large proportion of light novel sales. Also, light novels have slightly better long tails than manga and far better than anime discs do. For mega-hits we see those long tails, like we do if a series reranks for whatever reason. For lower sellers we don't. Oricon may report from most major stores, but the lists we get don't include most sales, and the lower selling the series is the lower the proportion of sales that we see.

How much does each volume of light novel costs? Around double of a manga right? around 640 yen.


Would be on the higher end. About 600 yen would be typical. Take about a third of that off for distributor/retailer share (usually slightly higher than this but it's an easy figure to work with) and then take 10% of that gives 40 yen per book. I don't know if the illustrator's pay comes from the same share of the pie as the author's - if it does it would reduce the figure.
Weekly light novel releases (from 20/10/2014)
Monthly light novel sales ranks (from Jan 2015)
Bestselling light novel volumes of the year/all time* (and more in the same club).
*that there is data for

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
 
Oct 16, 2016 12:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 272
umashikaneko said:
Popularity of manga and LN as medium are significantly different.Most people grown up with reading manga in Japan while LN is rather queer hobby for nerds.


Eee... Well, I did "more or less" said, and you're saying if LN's (or under their original term description: shousetsu) a modern medium is, like the smartphones and etc. Lol, shousetsu's does give/exist in Japan along with manga's since centuries...

But let's be honest, I did the selling charts of manga's and LN's on different forums/sources checked: There you can quiet see, that the selling at the both mediums more or less the same are, at all both parties you see titles, where some successfully selling and some badly. What I wanna with this say, is, that LN's will always less favorized for a full adaptations, even if they having the required source materials for and the perfect selling results, like at S&W, Horizon and Highschool DxD. - E.g. Horizon: Horizon sells pretty, like their merchandise (from stickers to PVC figures and etc.), and they're currently on vol. 9 - the both seasons was with the first two vols adapted, they had then quiet at least season 3 and 4 adapted meanwhile... But instead that this LN series also his/her chances gets in the anime area, getting the Shounen-title manga's in row their adaptations...>_>

@hpulley
 
Oct 16, 2016 12:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1728
kuuderes_shadow said:
bigivelfhq said:

Don't most light novel are first released in a magazine anthology like manga?


Very very few are. Some magazines contain side stories or teasers but other than Fujimi Dragon Book and a few Fujimi Fantasia Bunko titles that are serialised in Dragon Magazine, and to a lesser extent series published in Shueisha's Cobalt magazine, it's become almost unheard of for a series to be released like that (and has been for a while now as well).

Book royalties sales is around 10-15% of the actual sales(by sales means the books that aren't returned, if a library keeps the book in the shelves, the author receives that money).


Is a typical range for novels, EXCLUDING the portion taken by the retailer and distributor.

I believe that Oricon reports at least 70-80% of sales(major retailers), just 10-20% is obviously not what it is reported(unless light novel reports are way worse than Manga and Disk reports).

As I previously stated, ebooks are not included in Oricon's sales figures and make up a large proportion of light novel sales. Also, light novels have slightly better long tails than manga and far better than anime discs do. For mega-hits we see those long tails, like we do if a series reranks for whatever reason. For lower sellers we don't. Oricon may report from most major stores, but the lists we get don't include most sales, and the lower selling the series is the lower the proportion of sales that we see.

How much does each volume of light novel costs? Around double of a manga right? around 640 yen.


Would be on the higher end. About 600 yen would be typical. Take about a third of that off for distributor/retailer share (usually slightly higher than this but it's an easy figure to work with) and then take 10% of that gives 40 yen per book. I don't know if the illustrator's pay comes from the same share of the pie as the author's - if it does it would reduce the figure.


Does the illustrator has any kind of rights of the work? If it doesn't than it doesn't receives any kind of royalties from it, unless it is in the deal made. Still that wouldn't come from the 10% of the author/right holder.
 
Oct 16, 2016 4:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 682
Yaoi-Senpai said:
OMG JUST LOOK AT THE SALES OF TEN COUNT!! MORE THAN I EXPECTED!$ AWESOME!!


Yasssss! Ikr!!!! Theres a future of Yaoi mangas!
 
Oct 16, 2016 5:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1334
Tenryuu1 said:
umashikaneko said:
Popularity of manga and LN as medium are significantly different.Most people grown up with reading manga in Japan while LN is rather queer hobby for nerds.


Eee... Well, I did "more or less" said, and you're saying if LN's (or under their original term description: shousetsu) a modern medium is, like the smartphones and etc. Lol, shousetsu's does give/exist in Japan along with manga's since centuries...

But let's be honest, I did the selling charts of manga's and LN's on different forums/sources checked: There you can quiet see, that the selling at the both mediums more or less the same are, at all both parties you see titles, where some successfully selling and some badly. What I wanna with this say, is, that LN's will always less favorized for a full adaptations, even if they having the required source materials for and the perfect selling results, like at S&W, Horizon and Highschool DxD. - E.g. Horizon: Horizon sells pretty, like their merchandise (from stickers to PVC figures and etc.), and they're currently on vol. 9 - the both seasons was with the first two vols adapted, they had then quiet at least season 3 and 4 adapted meanwhile... But instead that this LN series also his/her chances gets in the anime area, getting the Shounen-title manga's in row their adaptations...>_>

@hpulley

LN and Novel are different,novel is broad term including LN.I said "LN" is seen rather queer hobby of nerds instead of "Novel"

If you mean Novel instead of LN,then it is true Novel market size is similar to(still smaller than)what manga market is.

I don't understand what you want to say but even most popular LN such as Haruhi,Toaru series,Sword art online are rather niche compared with popular shonen manga such as One piece,Hajime no ippo,Fma so it is very natural they tend to have less episode counts.
 
Oct 17, 2016 3:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 2546
Machination said:
Yaoi-Senpai said:
OMG JUST LOOK AT THE SALES OF TEN COUNT!! MORE THAN I EXPECTED!$ AWESOME!!


Yasssss! Ikr!!!! Theres a future of Yaoi mangas!


I'm so happy that ten count is selling so great, CD drama is so sexy as well. <3
 
Top
Pages (2) [1] 2 »