Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2016 12:00 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
I think that including the hashtag for the anime would be nice.

AniList has it, and when I'm posting a tweet on Twitter, I have to move from MAL to AniList (and since they don't share the same anime ids, I have to search on Google) and copy the hashtag there.
FoxInFlameJun 20, 2017 11:56 AM
Jun 20, 2017 6:44 AM
Jul 2018
+1

I would definitely want that! Plus the official Twitter account (if they have). It's quite helpful with discussions (when it airs) there and filters out stuff (muting it to avoid spoilers too). Not really a MAL thing, but it'll be nice as a way to support the franchise.
Jun 20, 2017 7:05 AM

Apr 2014
Another social media shit.
This is ain't Facebook, Twitter or others.
Just completely move to Anilist if you really need that.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 20, 2017 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
You have probably misunderstood this. It's not like every anime, MAL would make its own hashtag. Some have an official one. The suggestion is having them linked in the db beside the Official Website, ANN or AniDB.

Such as this: http://yattatachi.com/spring-2017-anime-hashtags
Jun 20, 2017 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
Wait what? How is that supposed to work and what would it be for?
Jun 20, 2017 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Darek said:
Wait what? How is that supposed to work and what would it be for?

I'm not sure what @FoxInFlame had in mind, but for me, it's just another link in an anime's related links at the very botton of the left column. It's not much. The link redirects to the anime's official Twitter and/or official hashtag. Just another piece of info. :)

It's not an urgent suggestion, though.
Jun 20, 2017 10:06 AM

Apr 2014
@sevenPocky
So you prefer looking up on Twitter than checking their official websites?
Well, not everyone was using Twitter (or social media) so It won't be used much.
Is there by any chance you are suggesting this to ease up your work?
Jun 20, 2017 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
@sevenPocky
So you prefer looking up on Twitter than checking their official websites?
Well, not everyone was using Twitter (or social media) so it won't be used much.
Is there by any chance you are suggesting this to ease up your work?
Nope. Oftentimes when I watch anime and talk about it on Twitter I put a hashtag. It's not much trouble for me (since I've created some lists of hashtags myself and shared it with other Twitter fans) but it'll be an interesting add-on to ease up others' finding. I don't actively watch anime nowadays but it's never too late to have this. When Japanese fans watch anime on TV they actively tweet thru the hashtags as well.

I am very well aware that not many use Twitter here and this isn't a mandatory suggestion. :)
Jun 20, 2017 10:32 AM

Apr 2014
@sevenPocky
So what do you really want? Twitter discussions/info/news (over MAL forum discussions) about anime using hash tags, and where they will place it?
Or hash Twitter hash tags on the anime/manga pages? What ever it is, I got a feeling this will kill the discussions on the forum.
Jun 20, 2017 10:34 AM

Feb 2015
So... MAL is appealing to Twitter now and becoming AniList?

*Moves to AniDB*

Rayzer said:

Or tis... :) :)

Honestly there's nothing really wrong if they want MAL to adapt this kind of thing. I mean I know there has to be a forum that doesn't have that kind of bs... :/
Jun 20, 2017 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
@sevenPocky
So what do you really want? Twitter discussions/info/news (over MAL forum discussions) about anime using hash tags, and where they will place it?
Or hash Twitter hash tags on he anime/manga pages? What ever it is, I got a feeling this will kill the discussions on the forum.
My my, I'm sorry, I might've been unclear. No direct effect on MAL. For me, just putting a link of the official Twitter hashtag or account beside the Offical Site, ANN, and AniDB on the related links at the bottom of an anime page's left column would be enough, when there's one.
Jun 20, 2017 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
sevenPocky said:
My my, I'm sorry, I might've been unclear. No direct effect on MAL. For me, just putting a link of the official Twitter hashtag or account beside the Offical Site, ANN, and AniDB on the related links at the bottom of an anime page's left column would be enough, when there's one.
I got confused because the way you post seems you really liked Twitter and wanted Twitter discussions integrated on MAL as well.
Aren't those Twitter accounts are already included on their official sites? And I think most of those post those post on their Twitter accounts are available on the official site's news section, unless you really want the Twitter discussions. And heck we can't even read those post on their Twitter accounts.
Jun 20, 2017 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
sevenPocky said:
I got confused because the way you post seems you really liked Twitter and wanted Twitter discussions integrated on MAL as well.
Aren't those Twitter accounts are already included on their official sites? And I think most of those post those post on their Twitter accounts are available on the official site's news section, unless you really want the Twitter discussions.
Hm not much, just thought that they'll be a nice addition :) I'm sorry that I have confused you >_<
Jun 20, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2014
sevenPocky said:
Hm not much, just thought that they'll be a nice addition :) I'm sorry that I have confused you >_<
Yeah, it could be useful, but the problem is most of the MAL users can't even read anything that are posted on their Twitter accounts.
Jun 20, 2017 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
sevenPocky said:
Yeah, it could be useful, but the problem is most of the MAL users can't even read anything that are posted on their Twitter accounts.
Sadly that's true.
Jun 20, 2017 10:58 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@sevenPocky

So are you suggesting something like this? I'm looking for a similar thing. It's always useful to know what hashtag you should use when posting something on social media (regardless of if it's Twitter or not), so that the post gets noticed.

Jun 20, 2017 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
FoxInFlame said:
@sevenPocky

So are you suggesting something like this? I'm looking for a similar thing. It's always useful to know what hashtag you should use when posting something on social media (regardless of if it's Twitter or not), so that the post gets noticed.

Yup! That and/or the official hashtag itself. Some of my friends keep on asking for the official hashtag and MAL could be their stop (if they find it difficult to hunt down websites and Twitter accounts, cause well, it's Japanese)
Jun 20, 2017 11:02 AM

Apr 2014
sevenPocky said:
Rayzer said:
Sadly that's true.
It can be done only if Twitter offers to translate the non English post like what Facebook do.
Jun 20, 2017 11:11 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
sevenPocky said:
That and/or the official hashtag itself.

Official hashtag is already in the picture.
Jun 20, 2017 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
FoxInFlame said:
sevenPocky said:
That and/or the official hashtag itself.

Official hashtag is already in the picture.
Oh oops missed that, thanks! Just like that!
Jun 20, 2017 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
Rayzer said:
sevenPocky said:
Sadly that's true.
It can be done only if Twitter offers to translate the non English post like what Facebook do.
Actually, Twitter does that, but not always though.

--

Other people, if this won't get implemented, could directly go to the anime's website (some sites nowadays post their official anime hashtag) or AniDB/AniList and copy-paste the hash, paste on Twitter/FB/other SNS. MAL isn't the concern here but the growing community on other sites. For others to avoid spoilers or to be able to engage in livetweeting discussions on Twitter, a hashtag could be used. MAL could help on improving that by providing that info. Discussions don't just happen here anyway.
Jun 20, 2017 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
That's another pain for anime moderators, however :P
Jun 20, 2017 11:27 AM

Apr 2014
@sevenPocky
Don't you think that it could make a trouble when their official hashtags are used by English (or those who knows) speaking countries?
You know most of the Japanese population doesn't know how to speak or even read English.
That can be a big problem when that happens. And yeah that would be another work for the moderators.
By the way, the official sites are already available on their respective MAL pages.
Jun 20, 2017 11:35 AM

Jul 2012
please and thank you
i remember @sevenpocky used to have a list for that and it was very helpful!
Jun 20, 2017 11:40 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
I support the idea that we link to the official Twitter account, it would make my job easier. :P I wouldn't hold my thumbs that this gets implemented though.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jun 20, 2017 11:56 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
@Jicetus

Just a question, how does it help the Anime Moderators? I understand it would aid the News team in the sense that they would know which hashtag to use when creating SNS posts linked to their news articles.
Jun 20, 2017 12:05 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
FoxInFlame said:
@Jicetus

Just a question, how does it help the Anime Moderators? I understand it would aid the News team in the sense that they would know which hashtag to use when creating SNS posts linked to their news articles.

The Japanese love Twitter, they announce almost everything on their official Twitter; for example OVAs/Specials release, or if a show is going to have a pre-airing, etc.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jun 20, 2017 5:30 PM
Jul 2018
@Rayzer No, it's not really for discussion amongst the Japanese. This has been used for a long time already, even industries in the West. Since this suggestion is for people who frequently use SNS, our SNS mods might consider this pretty helpful too. Just adding it as another useful info for others to use is what's being suggested, just like what's pictured above.

Not all fans, especially on SNS, are well aware of the industry. Some just wants to watch a show and share their thoughts with other people. They don't bother going to their official sites since most are in Japanese, and MAL isn't. If MAL has this, it'll be very helpful for them. Starmyu has an official hashtag, but some use #starmyu or #star_mu instead.

An example situation would be when a friend on Twitter mutes the official hash to avoid getting spoiled, they are still spoiled since people don't use the official hash.

Honestly, I have never used hashtags to help me out on news since I purely used it for copy pasting on my own Twitter whenever I share my thoughts there. :P
removed-userJun 20, 2017 5:40 PM
Jun 20, 2017 5:41 PM

Sep 2012
No
No
Noo
For the sake of anything you love
Nooo.

Stop with this social network thing. We don't need more cancer.
Jun 20, 2017 6:54 PM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:

Well, I dunno, MAL seem to have the Social Media Team... :/

So I guess it wouldn't be soon until they implement this thing...
Jun 21, 2017 12:50 AM

Jun 2016
What's the function of this again? To know which anime are currently trending?

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 21, 2017 1:40 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think it is important. And it would mean more work to add all those for every anime.

I mean twitter isn't really used a lot anymore with all the other messenger or social media getting more important. And for chatting/communication it really is not that good. Only for ... tweeting some status update or something like that.

But I'm not against this. (I just could decide not to use it.)

I hate all those "but AniDB (or some other DB) has this - so we don't need it because we don't want to turn into that other website". That really is one of the most stupid things I have heard. With that you could just say "shut down MAL - other anime databases have all the anime listead already". :D

If you add it: The main twitter account of the anime (or company) would make most sense. So people could follow there and get info. Just including some hashtag is not really helpful. People searching for that hashtag might find also unofficial info posted by others. And if some friends just want to talk with twitter (instead of using some chat) they could (as already mentioned) look the hashtag up themselves ... or they could just use some random hashtags (if it is only those friends talking to each other they could tell the others which hashtag they are gonna use).
Jun 21, 2017 4:07 AM

Sep 2012
_Ako_ said:
sasalx said:

Well that is different since Social Media Team generally works on news.
Jun 21, 2017 8:05 AM

Feb 2015
sasalx said:
_Ako_ said:

Well that is different since Social Media Team generally works on news.

Well other dude said that it would support the franchise, so it seems good to have... I mean who doesn't want to support the franchise of series that most people are starving... :/

Here:
sevenPocky said:
+1

I would definitely want that! Plus the official Twitter account (if they have). It's quite helpful with discussions (when it airs) there and filters out stuff (muting it to avoid spoilers too). Not really a MAL thing, but it'll be nice as a way to support the franchise.

Wait, if Social Media Team generally works on the news, why not just call it News Team Trainee rather that Social Media Team?

Well either way, people seem to have this "this is a good thing to implement because tons of good stuff it will bring" vibe... :/
Jun 21, 2017 8:07 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
_Ako_ said:

Well either way, people seem to have this "this is a good thing to implement because tons of good stuff it will bring" vibe... :/

And is that bad? I personally believe it's great to look forward to something.
Jun 21, 2017 8:15 AM

Feb 2015
FoxInFlame said:
_Ako_ said:

And is that bad? I personally believe it's great to look forward to something.

It is not a bad thing, nor I mentioned that it is a bad thing. That is what I observed, there's really nothing to it than that. I personally don't know anything about the twitter hashtag or any bs like that because I don't roam in some random social media shit.

Jun 21, 2017 8:21 AM
Lovely person

Mar 2016
_Ako_ said:
I personally don't know anything about the twitter hashtag or any bs like that because I don't roam in some random social media shit.

Hateful as always, huh? ;)
Threads get amusing when you join in.

As people have said, I think including the official Twitter page would be a great option. Hashtags, I don't know about (thinking about what @Luthandorius said).
Jun 22, 2017 8:23 AM
Mar 2014
Yeah, I'm fine with this.
Jun 22, 2017 7:53 PM

Jul 2009
This feature has been suggested internally in the past. The consensus is that it's a "nice to have" feature, though not a priority in the grand scheme of things. There are other, more pressing needs in the database.

The goal is not to turn MAL into a social media-based site. It's to help users in the case they want to take discussions off-site. Using official hashtags allows Japanese producers to see global interest in their titles. This helps them see which titles are popular and could help convince them investing more on these titles.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - 11 hours ago

3 by traed »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.