Forum Settings
Forums

How about having separate ratings and reviews for different localizations?

New
Oct 12, 2016 4:03 PM

Sep 2009
I think it would be really helpful for each localization of an anime to have its own ratings and reviews, that way people who might prefer to watch in a particular language can get a good idea of what they'll actually be watching.
The localization does make a huge difference in how someone scores an anime, or their impressions that they'll be sharing in their reviews.

At the very least, have a section to the fansub section, where you can approve or disapprove of groups; but have something for official dubs too.
Disclaimer:I have no ulterior motive in wanting to bash the living shit out of certain English dubs.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 20, 2016 4:39 PM

Sep 2009
Bump. A dubbed anime is pretty much an entirely different anime from the original. We need this.
Oct 21, 2016 6:53 AM

Aug 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
I think it would be really helpful for each localization of an anime to have its own ratings and reviews.[/color]

People will have to write their reviews in two languages. Will they do that?
Oct 21, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2009
Yorshkai said:
MortalMelancholy said:
I think it would be really helpful for each localization of an anime to have its own ratings and reviews.[/color]

No, they won't. They can write their review in whatever language they feel like, but for whatever it is they actually watched (original, English dub, Spanish dub, etc)
Oct 21, 2016 1:57 PM

Aug 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
Yorshkai said:

No, they won't. They can write their review in whatever language they feel like, but for whatever it is they actually watched (original, English dub, Spanish dub, etc)

So your suggestion also implies that review guidelines should be rewritten, right?
Oct 21, 2016 2:04 PM

Sep 2009
Yorshkai said:
MortalMelancholy said:

So your suggestion also implies that review guidelines should be rewritten, right?

No, the review guidelines are completely irrelevant to having different localizations have their own review sections.
Oct 21, 2016 2:18 PM

Aug 2016
MortalMelancholy said:
Yorshkai said:

No, the review guidelines are completely irrelevant to having different localizations have their own review sections.

It is relevant: it will be either rewritten, or written from scratch for each localization. It is also an open secret that MAL will have to hire more moderators, which has always been a problem.
Oct 21, 2016 2:19 PM

Sep 2009
Yorshkai said:
MortalMelancholy said:

It is relevant: it will be either rewritten, or written from scratch for each localization. It is also an open secret that MAL will have to hire more moderators, which has always been a problem.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, (seems unnecessary though); they can hire new mods or do whatever if they really want to. Though it would admittedly be pretty troll to ask reviews of a French or Italian dub be written in English
Oct 21, 2016 2:22 PM

Jan 2013
Seems like a whole lot of work for not a lot of benefit.
Oct 21, 2016 2:26 PM

Sep 2009
CondemneDio said:

It's an extremely important difference to be made. If someone watches the dub version of yugioh, they might write about how it's a kid's show where all problems are solved with a card game, while if someone else watches the sub version they might say it's an edgy show where they take card games too seriously.
It would also tell people who prefer dubs whether the dub is good enough to be worth watching.
Oct 21, 2016 2:36 PM

Jan 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
CondemneDio said:

It's an extremely important difference to be made. If someone watches the dub version of yugioh, they might write about how it's a kid's show where all problems are solved with a card game, while if someone else watches the sub version they might say it's an edgy show where they take card games too seriously.
It would also tell people who prefer dubs whether the dub is good enough to be worth watching.

I can see your point, but I don't think it's important enough to implement. A show such as Pokemon might have dozens upon dozens of localizations, each gettting their own review pages, and maybe a few people use this system.

This could be implemented after the bigger issues get fixed first, though.
Oct 22, 2016 12:53 AM

Aug 2016
It is a very good suggestion, but I doubt that MAL can implement it now. In 2-3 years, perhaps.

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
6 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.