Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 10, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm so this show deals with a bit of technology and solicitation. Threat letters for a case?

The client had that malevolent sort of feel (could tell by her body movements) for the case. Too bad she was suspicious from the start. Also, Kobayashi is such a weird character in this series imo, really hope we get to learn more about him.
Stark700Oct 10, 2016 11:06 AM
Oct 10, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2013
it's time to cringe again
Oct 10, 2016 11:03 AM

Jul 2014
At least this episode had a more coherent story, although that's not saying much as it'd be hard to get worse than the first episode. Still can't stand the characters...
Oct 10, 2016 11:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I liked this better than episode 1. I liked the elements of the case here and the two main characters harmonize well with each other.
Oct 10, 2016 11:27 AM

Dec 2014
It was a nice episode.

The mystery was nice, Kobayashi's powers do come in handy sometimes.
Speaking of which I'm not entirely sure of how his power works, It basically prevents anything from killing him right? If so why did the food container explode? One moment he's opening the door, Next moment he's breaking it down. So can he control it at will?

Hopefully we get some info on how his power works cause it seems to adjust based on the scenario at hand.
Oct 10, 2016 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
So can someone explain to me how did they knew she was the culprit ?

the episode didn't do a good job at doing it
Oct 10, 2016 11:38 AM

Feb 2008
So can someone explain how the fuck shota's powers even work? When something touches his barrier, it disintegrates, but then MC touches his barrier his hand only gets pushed away. When he touched the cup of udon, it broke, but when he was in the kitchen touching everything, nothing broke.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 10, 2016 11:49 AM

May 2010
boring as fuck. drop
Oct 10, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2015
Lelouch0202 said:

Speaking of which I'm not entirely sure of how his power works, It basically prevents anything from killing him right? If so why did the food container explode? One moment he's opening the door, Next moment he's breaking it down. So can he control it at will?

ZetaZaku said:
So can someone explain how the fuck shota's powers even work? When something touches his barrier, it disintegrates, but then MC touches his barrier his hand only gets pushed away. When he touched the cup of udon, it broke, but when he was in the kitchen touching everything, nothing broke.

seems pretty obvious to me. his power prevents him from getting hurt. the cup of udon was hot and he wanted to eat it with his bare hands. he would get hurt. so it crushed when he got to close.
also he can most likely use it to a certain amount whenever he likes (not sure how good he can control it).
from looking at the last scene of episode 2 and the other time he got hurt it seems like he is somehow able to get hurt when hanasaki is near him. but not all the time he is around. guess we will get to know about it in the future. maybe thats also the reason why hanasaki doesnt really get hurt by touching the barrier.
Galaxy__Oct 10, 2016 12:02 PM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Oct 10, 2016 12:10 PM

Dec 2014
Galaxy__ said:
Lelouch0202 said:

seems pretty obvious to me. his power prevents him from getting hurt. the cup of udon was hot and he wanted to eat it with his bare hands. he would get hurt. so it crushed when he got to close.
also he can most likely use it to a certain amount whenever he likes (not sure how good he can control it).
from looking at the last scene of episode 2 and the other time he got hurt it seems like he is somehow able to get hurt when hanasaki is near him. but not all the time he is around. guess we will get to know about it in the future. maybe thats also the reason why hanasaki doesnt really get hurt by touching the barrier.

I guess that makes sense. I assumed the protection is only against life threatening situations, Like how last episode he jumped of the roof and the whole fire building scenario but if it's just him getting hurt then I suppose it checks out. They seem to be showing that amulet of Hanasaki's often, Perhaps it has something to do with how Hanasaki doesn't get hurt and only pushed back.

Sherlupin said:
So can someone explain to me how did they knew she was the culprit ?

the episode didn't do a good job at doing it

Well basically the death messages were too conspicuous cause of the oil odor that was emanating from them. If the guy was actually the culprit, Surely he would not leave such an obvious clue that could trace is line of work. So they used this to place suspicion on the girl, They then confronted the guy saying that it was his girlfriend who made him poison the food with the water she made and was actually framing him. The guy tries to prove them wrong by trying to drink the water to clear her suspicion which unfortunately fails and so we have our culprit. They also managed to detect her presence using some kind of sound interference that was similar to what Kobayashi did to the vending machine. Not entirely sure how that worked though.
Oct 10, 2016 12:12 PM

Sep 2016
It was an alright episode, better than the first at least. Still not entirely sold on this show though. I feel like it doesn't mesh well with the supernatural powers that kobayashi has; it feels out of place.

Character-wise I'm not liking the two MC, Hanasaki and Kobayashi much either. They just seem like polar opposite to each other. Hanasaki is all happy, confident, smart and probably somewhat annoying while Kobayashi is all depressed, distant, and just saying he wants to die. I don't feel any sympathy for him right now but that may change once we get more backstory on him. As for Hanasaki I honestly don't know how much character development he will get despite being a MC.

Story wise it hasn't picked up much yet. It will be a bit slow but I'm ok with that for now. I do like the technology used in this show. They actually feel like they could become real.
Oct 10, 2016 12:14 PM

Dec 2014
ok that girl was really something... I felt bad for the boyfriend but in the end he was still a minor character
Oct 10, 2016 12:26 PM

May 2014
A lot better then the 1st episode
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 10, 2016 12:52 PM
Jul 2016
like the first episode way better tbh but it wasn't that bad but it was kinda boring.......i can't believe that i was looking forward to this all week well i guess i learnt a lesson here.....never judge an anime by the first episode coz the rest of the anime could suck...im not saying that it was awful but i guess i just expected too much......ughhhhh
Oct 10, 2016 12:59 PM

Sep 2016
This episode was far better than the first one but that id not saying much. The case was nothing you have not seen before. But this episode did not change my opinion about the characters of this series: Most of them are still unlikable and annoying. It was rather mediocre overall.

Kobayashi casually mentioning that he tried to drink gasoline was really funny, though.
Oct 10, 2016 1:33 PM

Aug 2013
@Lelouch202

Ah, just as I thought. It's just BS deduction
Oct 10, 2016 1:56 PM

Jun 2014
Wait couldn't she have pulled off her plan without involving the detective agency? She would have been able to kill the doctor, her boyfriend would have been arrested, and she would have gotten away with everything.......or did I miss something? Ah, fuck it.
thebrentinator24Oct 10, 2016 2:06 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 10, 2016 2:02 PM

Jul 2014
thebrentinator24 said:
Wait couldn't she have pulled off her plan without involving the detective agency? She would have been able to kill the doctor, he boyfriend would have been arrested, and she would have gotten away with everything.......or did I miss something? Ah, fuck it.

This show seems to be one of those where it is better to just watch as a mindless zombie and accept things rather than to actually think about what's going on. The more you think the less it makes sense.
Oct 10, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2014
TFO1013 said:
thebrentinator24 said:
Wait couldn't she have pulled off her plan without involving the detective agency? She would have been able to kill the doctor, he boyfriend would have been arrested, and she would have gotten away with everything.......or did I miss something? Ah, fuck it.

This show seems to be one of those where it is better to just watch as a mindless zombie and accept things rather than to actually think about what's going on. The more you think the less it makes sense.

Yeah I realized that after this nonsensical episode. I'll hold out hope that it'll get better since there's 22 more episodes but if it keeps this up then I won't expect much.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 10, 2016 2:52 PM
Apr 2016
ZetaZaku said:

To me it seems like his powers react to how threatening the contact seems, based on Shota's emotions
Like if something is trying to attack him, or he feels in danger, the powers will completely destroy that thing.
If he feels tense when someone is touching him the powers just prevent that person from touching him.
And when he's completely calm, the barrier is down completely
Oct 10, 2016 2:59 PM
Apr 2016
Enjoyed this more than episode 1. My issue was that writing had a few holes. The idea was good, but it's as if the writers made this episode immediately after writing the first draft. It's as if they didn't proof read and go back in to revise ideas.

For exp. when Tracksuit guy caught the culprit, he tells her "your boyfriend is dead", however, he was out of the room and was gone long before the boyfriend died. And we have no indication that someone contacted him about the boyfriends death.

Still don't like tracksuit guy, but the boy with the powers is interesting to me. Overall I enjoyed it. I'll pulled me in enough for me to give a couple more episodes a try.

I'd get this episode a C
Oct 10, 2016 3:15 PM

May 2015
I liked the first episode better. This episode felt kinda weak. I hope it won't be like that all the way till the end, considering this show is 2-cour....

Oct 10, 2016 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
Alright, I get the whole deal with Kobayashi's power not allowing him to get hurt or die and all that, but I still don't get the deal with the girl. Wasn't she drinking one of those alkaline water drinks when she went to ask the Detective Boys for help? If the stuff in the water was what poisoned the guy, how was it that she was okay with consuming it over coffee? I'm assuming that the water was mass produced and ergo the same all over.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 10, 2016 4:02 PM

Aug 2016
It was a bit better than the first episode. I think I'll keep watching for now.
Oct 10, 2016 4:04 PM

Apr 2015
A slightly more interesting episode than the last. The culprit's actions were a bit hard to follow considering some contradictions, but it was an alright episode. It was pretty amusing seeing Kobayashi being weird, too.
Oct 10, 2016 5:11 PM
Jul 2015
Eh I'll give it one more maybe.
Oct 10, 2016 5:41 PM

Aug 2016
Albino boy is so emo he got me real shook.

The storyline in this episode felt really jarring to me but I honestly don't know why. Maybe it was the fact that they barely introduced new characters so there were only two suspects and it obviously wasn't going to be the obvious one. What even were her motives to begin with, actually.

Still not over the weirdest fanservice character I've experienced. Aerobics girl's pyjamas look super uncomfortable and how the hell does she control the owl if she's just playing golf and doing pilates all the time?

Also, did whoever made this actually take a minute to think over emo boy's powers because I'm still confused as hell. Sometimes he slices people up, sometimes he just kinda zaps them. Sometimes he's making noodles explode, sometimes he's shaking machines violently with no interference. I think someone said it's because the powers are there to protect him but then how come he can just blow up doors at will? Also, how was that fly planning to hurt him? A moment of silence for that dog that died for no reason in episode 1 :(

I still don't know why tracksuit is so into emo but hopefully we'll find out. It is a 24 episode show so there's time.
Oct 10, 2016 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
Oh this episode was great and really made me ensured that this anime might have potential to get better.Will stick with it more and hope it will get better and everyone will enjoy this show.
Oct 10, 2016 6:36 PM

Jun 2016
Better than the first one, but still something is missing, maybe because I still don't sympathize with the characters.
Oct 10, 2016 6:42 PM

Sep 2011
The inconsistency with his powers is pretty jarring, and there isn't really a grounding character that plays an active roll. There really wasn't much of a mystery at all, and the mystery that was there was extremely weak. We didn't even get a motive at the end. The show isn't bad enough to drop, but this will definitely be one of the most disappointing series for me this season.
Oct 10, 2016 6:43 PM
Jun 2008
ReynaMorrison said:
I think someone said it's because the powers are there to protect him but then how come he can just blow up doors at will?
That's exactly why. The powers destroy the doors and walls preventing him from hitting them and getting hurt. That part isn't confusing at all.

Galaxy__ said:
To me it seems that the powers fail to completely protect him when he's feeling happy or something like that. Quite cheesy, yes. In the first episode he got hurt right after Kensuke had promised to kill him. And this time it happened right after he was told that "You're part of the team now! Let's work hard together from now on!".
SaarunaoOct 10, 2016 6:46 PM
Oct 10, 2016 7:14 PM

Nov 2015
Great episode as always. Hope it will continue like this.
Oct 10, 2016 7:32 PM

Jan 2016
at the why didn't she just do the crime, just look at 'Detective Conan' and the meme of waiting for the detective before committing your murder

He is clearly human, it's some ***hole aura being like 'nah dude, you die I die, I am just going to be a **** while keeping you alive, k?'
also, that guy had mad faith in his girl, damn straight he was pure, pure people always gotta be dumb right?
I wonder who is going to win the race!

Oct 10, 2016 7:46 PM

Oct 2011
Kobayashi part of the group now yay
Oct 10, 2016 8:18 PM

Feb 2014
This was so much better than the first episode. If it improves a little more I will keep watching. Hoping its not going to be episodic cases each week.
Oct 10, 2016 8:37 PM

May 2015
I feel like at some point I'm gonna regret picking up this show
Oct 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Feb 2016
Boring as fuck. No plot
Oct 10, 2016 9:37 PM

May 2015
I just can't bring myself to care about the characters. The only good part of the episode was the case. If they make the characters just a little more likable and keep up the episodic format, I think I'd be satisfied at the end of the day.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 10, 2016 10:03 PM

Sep 2015
I somehow knew she was evil from the beginning
Oct 10, 2016 11:29 PM

Jun 2015
Decent episode I guess. Still pretty boring. The guy in the jump suit is just annoying though. He never shuts up.
Oct 11, 2016 1:26 AM

Jun 2013
The first episode didn't manage to get me invested in this show and this second episode hasn't done much of a good job either. The comedy for one was okayish in the previous episode but I think this episode failed at that too. The mystery wasn't much interesting either. Quite boring overall. Only thing to come out of this is that Kobayashi is the perfect tester for food to check whether it's poisoned or not.
Oct 11, 2016 1:58 AM
Feb 2016
I guess I quite like this episode but just as someone has mentioned the resolve of the case wasn't explained properly. When you have 24 episodes you should've been able to set aside some time to tell how/why she is suspicious, how she did it and maybe in the future we'll get to know why she did what she did. It's no use if it's only Hanasaki who knows what happen when the viewers don't. And there should be some kind of explanation on how Kobayashi's power works; when do the barrier decides to protect him? Does his feelings and thoughts have some control over the barrier as well? If it's 12 episodes I can understand the production team rushing to get everything covered but when you have 24 they should've been able to control the timing for the overall episode more. Hope the 3rd episode will have more improvement and more information reveal.
Oct 11, 2016 2:31 AM

Sep 2013
I thought this was a much better episode than the last. A more clear and precise story that wasn't all over the place. This time around it was for a single episode case. Hanasaki was VERY annoying last episode and this one he wasn't as bad though he was still irritating. Idiot boyfriend is an idiot. I get he did nothing wrong and believed in his girlfriend but motherfucker! If someone says there is POISON in the food/water, then don't play with fate! You can't be that stupid to blindly follow love over your safety, there's a reason why Hanasaki is telling everyone not to eat it...because you'll fucking die!

I did have a chuckle when the boyfriend died. Face Down. Ass Up. Mouth Full of Foam.

Also, I wish they gave out more details on the case. I saw the hints and everything but at least give us a proper breakdown on how everything went down step by step. Not everyone is going to figure it out so you might as well. If you're going to be a Mystery genre with detectives, show us some credibility on your abilities by explaining everything and how you figured it out.

ED visuals this week and it looks pretty good. This upbeat song fit the visuals extremely well and the range of colors made it appealing. Definitely one of my favorite ED in terms of visual/song. Though Dreamcatcher by Nano is easily my favorite song.

Looks like Yoshio is able to be slightly injured when he's around Hanasaki. I wonder why that is. I did say this last episode that I needed questions that were arose and have at least a few answered. However, they just keep adding more questions. I'm the type of guy who creates theories in my head a lot but if I get a TON of questions in my head without any answered, I feel more annoyed.

For Example: LOST. I can't deal with that show because shit won't be answered. I get tired and bored of speculating so I ended up hating the show.

It's still only the 2nd episode, so my head is no where near filled and hopefully some of my questions gets answered. Please don't build it into a clusterfuck in my brain like LOST.
TehSnawnOct 11, 2016 2:41 AM

Oct 11, 2016 2:47 AM
Aug 2015
thebrentinator24 said:
Wait couldn't she have pulled off her plan without involving the detective agency? She would have been able to kill the doctor, her boyfriend would have been arrested, and she would have gotten away with everything.......or did I miss something? Ah, fuck it.

Maybe she wanted some extra protection,to keep her out of suspection,so she had Detective agency that could confirm her that story with threatening letters and turn tables in her favor.
Still overall writing in this epsiode wasnt that good.It reminds me of Hamatora,but characters are more dislikable there.
Oct 11, 2016 3:00 AM

Apr 2013
Not really the cleverest show I've ever seen, everything just seemed to go by very quickly, but it was alright. I quite like the eccentric pink girl who rolls on that exercise ball thing whatever her name is. Im guessing this is going to be sort of an episodic anime which could work if episodes and stories were executed better.
Oct 11, 2016 3:54 AM

Nov 2013
They remind me of the sloth pair... Annoying + Sad

"Meh" episode. I'll give it 2 more episodes. I like mystery so I want to believe it has some potential lol.
Oct 11, 2016 4:01 AM
May 2016
An alright episode to me. So it seems like it will go to some case episodic. Anyway, Kobayashi's power makes sense somehow, its letting him to not get hurt or something. Hanasuki still a cheerful guy and he's on a race to let Kobayashi die or not. Hoping on the later episodes cases will be much better.
Oct 11, 2016 8:10 AM

Feb 2016
i can kinda see where this might go, if the ends is like: "white haired is about to die but doesnt want to because reasons" then that would be ridiculous lol

lets see what happens next
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Jan 2016
This show is so by the numbers right now. Hopefully it will get better but right now it is so painfully average.
Oct 11, 2016 12:00 PM

Sep 2013
It was okay, detectives doing detective stuff.
R.I.P. sweet prince.

thebrentinator24 said:

The police would investigate her and find out her connections, she has no way out.
With her plan she can frame the boyfriend as a psycho.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2017

61 by Poodles »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2017

24 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:14 AM

» Worth your time ?

SilverFever - Sep 22, 2017

8 by Maackkk »»
Feb 2, 2021 2:46 AM

» has this anime improved any since the first few episodes?

metadata - Nov 14, 2016

17 by SofiaBulga »»
Oct 23, 2019 2:18 AM

Poll: » Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2016

42 by PrideRoyalIvy »»
Sep 12, 2018 7:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.