Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2016 4:06 PM

Jul 2011
A wee bit too high tension/hyper for me (the insane contrast...), but I love the symbolism and the music. :)
Been anticipating this for a while, so I'm looking forward to it.
Though I'm hoping it deals way more with Rei as a person (as in description) than it does any romance.
Oct 8, 2016 4:07 PM

Mar 2014
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the French song. Instant 5/5 for the sake of nationalism

Looks like another potential AOTS (alongside Haikyuu!! S3 and Yuri!! on ice). This season gun be gud
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 8, 2016 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
damn sure looks pretty
Oct 8, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, knowing nothing about it, hard to tell where its going. And nice to see it's 23 episodes long.
Oct 8, 2016 4:41 PM
Sep 2012
I just binge-read the manga after watching the first episode. This is going to be one hell of a ride and I'm so excited to see more of it animated.

Of course, Bump of Chicken is always welcome to bring us amazing songs as always. :)
Oct 8, 2016 5:20 PM

Dec 2014
This first episode was great! I really liked the backgrounds a ton and the Bump of Chicken OP and ED is just the sugar on top!
Oct 8, 2016 5:49 PM

Dec 2015
Mirorin said:
A wee bit too high tension/hyper for me (the insane contrast...), but I love the symbolism and the music. :)
Though I'm hoping it deals way more with Rei as a person (as in description) than it does any romance.
Mirorin said:

Well, even with 23 episodes, it probably won't catch up with the manga... So the romance really starts after the anime ends, with Rei going on a quest of re-discovery through interactions with the sisters and shogi rivals in the meantime...
Oct 8, 2016 5:54 PM

Nov 2013
I absolutely love the manga, so I looked forward to it. And it didn't disappoint.

The art style and music is great. It took a while, to get used to the mouths, but I have seen worse.

I almost forgot, how great the family and the cats are.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 8, 2016 6:03 PM
Mar 2016
Bump of Chicken Snatch the Gold with Very Early Start
Amazing Ending and Awesome Opening
if any official Award for OP and ED, Bump of Chicken could win it even Fall Season just 1 week

i never read sangatsu no lion manga, but i think this will be good story
dark past from Rei with Kawamoto Sisters painting his life with colour even he refuse to accept it

Shaft sound like they feel so bad with Nisekoi and make a great anime to apologize lol
Oct 8, 2016 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished the episode and coming from a person that got HUGELY tired of the Shaft head tilting (I mean I don't hate it but sometimes it can irritate me), this show didn't even over exaggerated that trend mark from the studio's end. It actually feels like a different series in all honesty.

I like the Opening but I love the Ending much more completely, and hopefully it keeps consistent through since I did enjoyed a bit of the atmosphere and some of the characters are pretty nice.
Oct 8, 2016 6:13 PM
Jun 2016
Another whiplash anime :> A few of them this season wich are best described as whiplash, two completly contrasting themes, the dark meloncholy of the main char contrasted by everyone else, remidns me of izetta, where it's the dark horrors of war, with the fantasy of a witch heh.
Oct 8, 2016 6:15 PM
Nov 2012
Loved the (chinese?, in my anime?) music/dark parts

Not a fan of the char design/forced adhd family humor tho;/
Oct 8, 2016 6:18 PM

Mar 2014
i am a big fan of the original manga. since the producer is NHK, i am not gonna worry much about the pace of the adaptation.
Oct 8, 2016 6:23 PM

May 2012
Last I read, I left off around 40 or so, so seeing it's 2-cour excites me.

Great start.

The ost sounds nice already. And that opening, especially the ending

Oct 8, 2016 6:37 PM

May 2014
This has definitely got my attention, and I was so surprised when I checked the episode count...23 episodes according to MAL which is really great.

Honestly, I don't get into slice of life drama anime often and whilst I was slightly intrigued by this one since it's from the same creator of Honey and Clover, I was gonna pass it up. I'm so glad I didn't though because it was pretty damn beautiful.
The fact that the protagonist didn't even talk until about half way through was impactful as were his first words being "that's a lie".
I already like Rei as a character, and I'm loving his design as well- his eyes are gorgeous.
Speaking of gorgeous, Shaft is doing a splendid job with the art...not too overpowering and really compliments the psychological aspects of the anime.
Looking forward to seeing more, though it's pretty hard to judge at this point.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2016 7:07 PM

Mar 2008
Eh, I guess it's okay...The tone and comedic styles really remind me of Fruits Basket but this isn't nearly as engaging as that was. The main character seems like the usual stoic but I guess there are hintings of a very troubled person behind all that. The sisters are cute if not a bit exhausting.

Score is bland as bland, really we need to ban two solo instruments in scoring dramas: Violin and piano but the theme songs are all right but I don't see myself going out of my way to find them down the road.

I see Umino's design flavor really coming out in spades. I'm mostly acquainted with her style through Eden of the East and what little I saw Honey and Clover.

I'll give this a few more episodes but I'm not sure I can do 23-24 episodes of this.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Oct 8, 2016 7:15 PM

Apr 2013
Probably will become my fav shaft show
Oct 8, 2016 7:31 PM

Sep 2011
I absolutely loved the mood, but I can't get over the stylistic choice of the faces.
Oct 8, 2016 7:35 PM

Jun 2015
This was a really great episode. The visuals and sounds were fantastic, especially the OP and ED. The comedy was funny to watch. I like how the cats have their own dialogue. It looks like Rei had a tough life. Him crying in his sleep was sad. That rice ball he ate was huge! It looked liked a soccer ball! This show looks promising. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 8, 2016 7:47 PM
May 2010
My most anticipated show of the season and I'm totally love how shaft adapt this. The sound effect totally remind me of SZS, gosh I love that show.
The OP & ED by BUMP OF CHICKEN are great as always though I don't really like their visual.
I've read the manga but decide to halt reading this because of the anime, so I'm totally hype for the next episode to come.
Oct 8, 2016 7:47 PM

Jul 2011
This went better than expected. I didn't expect Bump of Chicken to sing the OP and ED. That makes the show a lot better.

I can see why a lot of people are commenting about the art style for this episode. I like it a lot, the art really captures the essence of this kind of story. Watching this really makes me want to re-watch Honey and Clover all over again.
Oct 8, 2016 7:51 PM

Jun 2011
I fell asleep a lot. Might be good? I donno... friends think it is boring. Isn't good club fodder. I wanted to like this. But then didn't as much as I thought. Only first ep.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 8, 2016 7:54 PM

Jan 2012
Well that was a very emotional and atmospheric first episode. Often broody, at times bubbly, but definitely engaging. Can't wait for more.
Oct 8, 2016 7:59 PM

Apr 2014
newtype November

Oct 8, 2016 8:17 PM

Oct 2011
love Op and ed song yay
Oct 8, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2014
After ADHD;Nine this is a nice change of pace. Characters were really charming and the animation is great.

Definitely want to know more about the MC's past. He looks really depressed over everything. Want to know what that's all about.
Oct 8, 2016 8:34 PM
Nov 2013
Although there are some very good sequels airing this season, this and Shuumatsu no Izetta are the most promising series of the season so far. Shinbo has proven that he can direct things that isn't the Monogatari series before, so I am very impressed.

This also reminds me that I really need to watch Honey and Clover soon...
Oct 8, 2016 9:00 PM

Apr 2012
The first episode was excellent in production and execution.

The Opening sequence establishes the tone of the series from the start with the music working in conjunction with the struggle that the main character is seen to face. Due to the overall lack of other characters within the opening it is understood that the primary conflict will most likely be internal as the character struggles with issues represented by drowning and being grabbed by the dark-vine like objects. This idea is further supported by the first 10 minutes of the episode.

The main character is told in a dream that his name Rei is accurate in representing the nothingness that overall surrounds his life. Rei does not speak for the first nine minutes of the episode to define his depressed state, as he goes through the mundane actions of everyday life with little to no apparent care. When engaged in the Shogi match Rei is still apathetic, yet later on his emotions are better expressed as he watches TV with the family. The family themselves are very important to the expression of emotion as Rei is seen nearly rejecting the invitation on account of feeling depressed, but when he does visit the variety in character shows the color and liveliness that exists in Rei's work that he is not a part of. The only emotions seen from Rei are those during comedic relief scenes and those when he cries; further displaying his depressive state. Finally as Rei goes to school he decides to "try" to go. This indicates that many times he neglects school because of either Shogi or emotional difficulty. All these emotional expressions are supported by the animation.

The animation and environments express the solitude of the main character as his eyes appear lifeless and his mouth is consistently in the shape of a frown. The animation style supports this as the mouths are drawn quite differently from that of a conventional style. It draws the attention of the viewers and it expresses the characters emotions effectively in such a manner. Furthermore, in the intro scenes nearly every single background character is unique. There are hundreds in the train station and on the train, but the only distinction between each of these characters and Rei is that Rei is less opaque and pushed to the foreground as a darker character in general. However, all these other characters have more character and feel more lifelike which furthers the idea that Rei is empty and representative of zero. This is seen even more when Rei enters the family's house with vibrant characters and colors that all bring an energy that was absent the first nine minutes of the episode. Unfortunately, Rei's darkness even touches this brightness as when the girl views Rei crying her smile is seen turning into a frown. This is done at night, in a darker room and this transition into a frown is accented by the unique mouth design.

In conclusion, the first episode is very strong, the themes are set out for the viewers and whether the viewer has touched the source content or not, it it understood what the series is about. The animation and audio work together in harmony creating a strong environment and emotional mood that effectively adds to the story being told.

Personal note: I actually love the mouths. I haven't read the manga so i don't know where this is going, but I really relate to the main character, his actions feel like i could justify them with both some past trama or just saying "depression" which allows me to fill the holes in his character that we have without much story for now. I think that in some ways it is probably both, he doesn't feel like every other stoic character it truly feels like he's lacking something and although the episode was fast and little happened, it feels as though there was a lot being shown to us. The best storytelling is down by being shown and not told. I definitely thing this is something to keep an eye on. Hopefully i'm not let down.
Oct 8, 2016 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
moodie said:
newtype November

Not gonna lie that looks completely adorable for me (not that its a bad thing its more of a compliment here on my end).
Oct 8, 2016 10:06 PM

Apr 2013
I was thinking that the art style was really similar to the Pure Illusion magical girl anime running rn, but it's by Shaft. That surprised me
What are you looking here for
Oct 8, 2016 10:26 PM

Dec 2014
Well I gotta say this was expected the main MC have problems and will face them head on throughout the series
Oct 8, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2015
I can't put into words how absolutely beautiful the first few minutes of this episode was. I could definitely tell rei is in in a dark place right now. The change in tone was a little off-putting at first, but the three sisters seem cute.

Ugh! So good!
Oct 8, 2016 11:00 PM

Jan 2011
symbolism everywhere was taken back from the amount of it from the op to the second half well it did it's job can tell Rei isn't in the best time of his life right now.

seems watching plus bump for chicken for the op&ep is cool

funny thing with this art can't tell if the characters actually have there lips close or they're frowning
Oct 9, 2016 12:34 AM

Jun 2013
This was a really strong start!
It was mostly serious but it had some comedic and lighthearted moments that actually worked(Unlike drifters for example)
Definitely looking forward to seeing more!
Oct 9, 2016 12:37 AM
Jan 2014
I really don't like Shaft's generic rectangular full view background... But the storytelling is good so far.
I love the original story so much. Is this really 2 cour? Hopefully the latest volume with shocking development will get adapted too.
Oct 9, 2016 12:57 AM

Dec 2015
My most anticipated anime for this season and the first episode definitly didn't let me down. Love the work shaft is doing with this
Oct 9, 2016 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
It started off with some depressed kid playing shogi. The depressed kid had no family or anything. Next thing you know he's going to have dinner with some crazy sisters lol. I like how they suddenly throw in some comedy when you don't expect it. The comedy is so sudden at times I like it.

Rei has a rather mysterious back story to him. It felt like he killed his father or at the very least he wasn't on good terms with him before he died. And staying with these rather lively sisters gives him the familial feeling he is missing out on.

Some nice stuff here. The bump of chicken OP and ED were pretty cool. Gonna be staying for more here. Interested in Rei's background and what really happened with him to make him so depressed even though he's being paid more than a school teacher lol.
Oct 9, 2016 1:57 AM

Feb 2011
Can someone explain why this anime/manga is popular? Tbh from the first ep, I think the plot is pretty bland despite the gorgeous music and art.
Oct 9, 2016 2:06 AM

Jul 2016
Pretty laid back but you can feel the drama creeping in. This is really a good one with both OP and ED sang by the same band. Minimalism is still there which really is one of the defining features of Shaft.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 9, 2016 2:26 AM

Dec 2015
Shaft is back ! I love it.
3-gatsu is one of my favorite anime this season
Oct 9, 2016 2:52 AM
Dec 2015
This first episode was amazing! The atmosphere was very calm and vibrant, especially with the soundtrack, which made me feel relaxed all the way through. The Op and Ed were really good at creating an emotional feel, that I havent seen before, which was the best part. Which also makes Rei stand out showing that he has a hard and struggling life, but has his sisters which lightens the mood for him. Also I love that sketchy art style in anime, made it even better.

One of the best anime this Season! Also did Hinata get her keys back?! Lol. :)
Oct 9, 2016 3:03 AM

Jun 2013
The shaftyness is REAL. I love it, it feels like its been a while since

Good first episode, promising series :j
Oct 9, 2016 3:10 AM

Nov 2014
BRUH THE ENDING OF CHAPTER 1 GOT ME FEELING
Oct 9, 2016 3:33 AM

Apr 2013
benizakuras said:
Unrelated to the first ep, but why is it listed with 23 eps on mal? I'm pretty sure it was listed with 22 on NHK

it was announced before that it will have 22 episode, but less than 12 hours ago Chinese network put 23 episode, thats why they changed it
usually they are accurate so that should be correct
Oct 9, 2016 3:51 AM
May 2016
The first episode was so good. The OST suits well to the shaft's animation, I love the dark tones and symbolisms on it. Rei was really depressed about his past, his family, the burden put on him. Glad there's Kawamoto family which is very nice to him, and the cats ridiculous inner thoughts lol xD. Looking forward for this show's development for the upcoming episodes.
Oct 9, 2016 4:17 AM

Jul 2009
I'm not a big fan of SHAFT, truth be told I don't like their style actually, but since the artist of the manga is the creator of Honey and Clover (which I wholeheartedly love) the show was a "must watch" for me. I didn't read the manga though so the plot is still unknown for me but I can't deny it - the expectations ARE high on this one. I love slice of life genre and, as for now, I'm really looking forward to spending 22 more weeks of waiting for new episodes.

The sisters are cute (especially the youngest one but I have a kind of soft spot for children, so...), I can totally relate with Rei coming to their house. I think it will be very enjoyable to watch his lonely character getting attached to them more and more :)
Oct 9, 2016 4:39 AM

Nov 2009
So far, it's a very faithful adaptation. The only concern I feel atm is that if they're going to be that faithful to the manga all the way, there will be quite a few boring filler-like eps, especially later on, because even when reading the manga I was kinda bored at times with all the never-ending slice of life stuff without any plot development.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Oct 9, 2016 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
Oh Shaft you never disappoint me, damn they have given justice
to this manga while being faithful to the original art style

HanaKana is back,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

But man, I wonder how anime only followers of this
series will react to its pace..............

Oct 9, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2014
Wow. Though it had some of the usual slice of life fluff that ruined the mood a bit, that was one of the best depictions of depression I've seen in anime. Combine a great studio with good material and you get my favorite new anime of the season.
Oct 9, 2016 5:47 AM
Nov 2015
Good episode! I'll continue watching this I think.
Does anyone know the name of that french song? It played during the first scenes I think...
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.