Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2016 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah I loved the music they used for the show already. It has this smooth vibrant feel that connects with the lighthearted atmospheric setting.

The episode introduced Rei, the main guy and there's even a small glimpse of his past. I think Shaft's style works for the show despite my initial impressions of it. The comedy and realism works fine so far, really liked the family feel of the show as well. Pretty good start, can't wait for more. With 2-cour, they can adapt quite a bit from the manga.
Oct 8, 2016 7:27 AM
Feb 2016
it was great
best anime of fall so far...
Oct 8, 2016 7:58 AM

Apr 2014
-First, the sound effects remind me soo much of SzS when the text come on the screen. Very reminiscent of old shaft.
-The intro was one of the best intros shaft has done. Yes the best. Such a great way to get into his mind and thoughts. Visually impressive.
-The CG objects blended with the 2d looking art is such a shaft thing. Even the water going down the drain and the bubbles. Good job
-The song that played for a good minute was nice. It worked and didnt feel like a filler insert just made to sell music. I see you aniplex.
-Blending shoji with his inner turmoil really made the episode feel intense. Great visuals that accompanied it.
-First episode gave us hints at whats to come and gave us the ever so slightest backstory.
-Ive seen 2 scenes where shaft utilizes the background change. When Hana goes out the background then back in. It felt like they were having fun with it. Some thing that Nisekoi used poorly and abused and even did too much in the BD fixes.
-Second time is when Grandpa was impressed with Momo's work. Only a circle of the frame was highlighted with the background change.
-Lets talk about the VA's. HanaKana actually didnt sound like nadeko and onodera for once thats a plus!
-The rest of the cast really fit their role. The cats tho! Really funny. This goes with the comment I had about the sound effects.
-The ending reminded me of Arakawa Under the Bridge with the episode preview having real world footage.

Overall a wonderful episode. Everything I could have dreamed for plus more! Some say this is tamed Shaft. I say this is Shaft being Shaft.

OP and ED are classic

Series director https://myanimelist.net/people/42180/Kenjirou_Okada

10/10 episode.
moodieOct 8, 2016 11:08 AM
Oct 8, 2016 8:54 AM

Mar 2015
It was okay, will continue to watch it. The main character is quite decent and SHAFT doesn't bother me that much.

3/5
Oct 8, 2016 9:47 AM
Nov 2015
Finally SHAFT has made its return, one of the best of fall so far.
Oct 8, 2016 10:38 AM
Oct 2016
the picture is beautiful.
(*´∀`)♪
Oct 8, 2016 10:38 AM

Jun 2014
Another boring anime to drop. 1/10
Oct 8, 2016 10:41 AM

Dec 2014
Comedy is a little flat, but everything outside of it was pretty great. Love the direction.
I need sleep.
Oct 8, 2016 11:02 AM

Dec 2012
OP and ED are great. I loved the art of this episode. It was weird to hear an OST in french, I think it's the first time that I heard one, but I liked it. Beautiful voice
Oct 8, 2016 11:04 AM

Aug 2015
I'm surprised how much Shaft stuck with the manga. I love the way they incorporated that cat's inner monologues, usually shows cut the side commentary but they kept it all in. Solid adaptation and great visuals so far.
Oct 8, 2016 11:13 AM

Jun 2014
Love the mood and atmosphere this has, the backgrounds are really warm and comfy. This should be interesting. It's also interesting how it goes from being pretty much lifeless to being filled with life because of the characters, pretty cool.
:3
Oct 8, 2016 11:23 AM

Dec 2014
Unrelated to the first ep, but why is it listed with 23 eps on mal? I'm pretty sure it was listed with 22 on NHK
Oct 8, 2016 11:31 AM

Jun 2015
LORD SHAFT DOES IT AGAIN
Oct 8, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2015
I've been meaning to check this one out. It's a good start; the atmosphere is pretty relaxing and the Bump of Chicken OP and ED are great. Looking forward to knowing more about Rei and the family he gets along with.
Oct 8, 2016 11:39 AM

Dec 2014
Excellent first episode.

The entire first half with the shogi especially after that opening segment set up an excellent atmosphere, The insert song and montage of Rei going to play made it look like it had a light hearted feel to it but at the same time it also had this moody overtone. This moody tone was brought out really well through the shogi match and the flashbacks which did a really good job showcasing how Rei who despite being a genius player had issues.

The switch to the light hearted and fun atmosphere post that was also great and felt very natural, All the 3 girls are really likable and the dinner scene and curry offering were fun to watch.
Rei crying in his sleep was sad. :(

I like the teacher, Him finding out Rei earned more than him was funny. xD
That ending made me laugh too. xD

Looking forward to more episodes.
OP and ED are great.
Oct 8, 2016 11:46 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Bit of a slow start perhaps but a great episode nonetheless. I haven't read the manga but just from the pacing this felt pretty much like a panel-by-panel adaptation to me, which is always nice to see (correct me if I'm wrong). Interesting to see Shaft tackling an anime of this nature for once but I think it might work out pretty well. Or at least the animation work they did with this opening episode felt pretty spot on if nothing else

3-gatsu no Lion was probably my most anticipated anime of Fall and it could definitely live up to my expectations, but I won't make any assumptions just yet. So far so good though

Oh and the ED was awesome
Oct 8, 2016 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
Ok, Shaft came back to life for good. Awesome. Even the art is OK (if amount of 3DCG in certain places would be a little lower, I would even say - great), which is rather unusual for the Shaft in this times. I especially liked the backgrounds. Beautiful animation too.
I'm pretty hyped now.
rsc-plOct 8, 2016 12:47 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 8, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
After coming from the lightning speed, hyperactive mess that was Occultic;Nine, this was a nice change of pace. Idk why people were so skeptical about Shaft handling this, I think they're doing a fine job if this episode alone is anything to go by. Looking forward to more.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 8, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2013
What a depressing pilot,looks like the main character got a lot of problems to deal with and now i'm just curious to learn it all,animation was top notch,chara design kinda seems soulless but still pretty,i really hope they will explain how Shogi work too.

7.5/10 pilot can't wait for the next episode.
Deep dark fantasies
Oct 8, 2016 12:06 PM

Jul 2014
Yeah, this is already leaps and bounds above anything else I've watched this season. You can definitely tell it's SHAFT, and I love it for that; so far, their unique approach is working really well, particularly that bit someone pointed out above about how the show goes from lifeless and quiet to loud and full of life depending on what characters are on screen at the time. Outside of that, it seems like this is going to be a gentle, thoughtful show that has already showcased an excellent balance between the serious moments (mainly involving Rei) and the brief comedic moments of levity provided by most of the other characters. This is definitely going to be good, and I'm already starting to understand the hype surrounding the manga.

OP and ED are both amazing songs too, definitely the best of the season so far, and that insert song at the start was pretty great as well.

One question though: why is this listed with 23 episodes on here when everywhere else has announced this show as 22 episodes long?
Oct 8, 2016 12:07 PM

May 2016
I must admit that as a "Hachimitsu to Clover" lover I really appreciated character design and overall art.
The episode felt very relaxed and exciting in a way that I am restless to know about all the characters' stories.
Oct 8, 2016 12:10 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was the most sombre first half of a beginning episode i have ever seen probably. Fuck, that made me quiet.

Definitely top 3 already, i can't see SHAFT fucking this up (their art and visual storytelling is crazy).
Oct 8, 2016 12:12 PM

Nov 2013
I proudly say I've read the manga (until a certain point).

- The adaptation was very good. I watched it with a smile on my face.
- Great animation
- The Shaft vibe was definitely there but not in a weird overwhelming way. I do love Shaft though...
- Great OP and background music
- Loved that the cats talk, just like in the manga :)

Great start! Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 8, 2016 12:30 PM

Feb 2012
Okay for the most part, but please tell me this Honey & Clover style humor gets dropped later on. This is a show about a lonely shogi player suffering from some depression issues. There is no way to insert wacky comedy into that scenario without it coming off as jarringly unfunny.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 8, 2016 12:38 PM

Jul 2015
Flawfinder said:
Okay for the most part, but please tell me this Honey & Clover style humor gets dropped later on. This is a show about a lonely shogi player suffering from some depression issues. There is no way to insert wacky comedy into that scenario without it coming off as jarringly unfunny.

There's more character development and drama and less comedy as the series goes on.
Oct 8, 2016 12:42 PM
Apr 2015
Iam the only one who thought this was totally boring?
I hope it gets better.

And Im seriously bothered by the way they draw mouths.
Like really.
Oct 8, 2016 12:44 PM

Jan 2014
the mouths are very wtf, the guy who draw them had no idea what he was doing, the MC looks boring hope it gets better
Oct 8, 2016 12:52 PM

Jun 2012
that wasn't a bad start, but it doesn't look promising
Oct 8, 2016 12:52 PM

Apr 2013
Love the ost, OP and ED, especially the ED tbh~ The ost at the start was very beautiful and calming. Got the shaft vibe and also the honey and clover vibe as expected. I like the art and animation too, feels pretty genuine and soothing to watch. The directing and the shots are pretty interestingly done too. The show conveys a depressing atmosphere pretty well, but also lighthearted comedic moments. Like the voice acting too~
Oct 8, 2016 1:10 PM

Aug 2015
HaXXspetten said:
Bit of a slow start perhaps but a great episode nonetheless. I haven't read the manga but just from the pacing this felt pretty much like a panel-by-panel adaptation to me, which is always nice to see (correct me if I'm wrong). Interesting to see Shaft tackling an anime of this nature for once but I think it might work out pretty well. Or at least the animation work they did with this opening episode felt pretty spot on if nothing else

3-gatsu no Lion was probably my most anticipated anime of Fall and it could definitely live up to my expectations, but I won't make any assumptions just yet. So far so good though

Oh and the ED was awesome

The episode was pretty much panel-by-panel. Even the long sequence of Rei going to the shogi hall was accurate, including the total lack of dialogue. Shaft did a great job with it, even the cat's inner dialogues were word for word. And don't worry, this is a series that only gets better as you meet and learn more about the characters, and this series is at it's best when tackling the problems in each of the character's lives.
Oct 8, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
The first ~10 minutes had some brilliant directing if I ever saw some. The comedic contrast felt a bit stark but I got used to it after a few minutes.

Visuals look surprisingly good and the music was great.
Oct 8, 2016 1:23 PM

Sep 2014
Bump of Chicken for both op and ed :)

This episode was alright. I didn't like the comedy it was way too abrupt. I also hated the mouths, so weird looking. Somewhat boring, well I do hope it gets better.
Oct 8, 2016 1:25 PM

Jul 2014
A true-to-manga adaptation indeed.
Loved its manga. Hope the anime will turn out good too. ^^
Oct 8, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
this was one of the series i been looking forward to even put off from reading the manga and it was well worth the wait imo

love the art style and the setting the characters shown so far are really likable and its just overall great expecting a good run from this series
"one step at a time"
Oct 8, 2016 1:52 PM

Dec 2012
Ahh I'm so happy to see H&C's artstyle again. MC kinda looks like Morita too.
A Shaft animu without KanaHana wouldn't be a Shaft animu,amirite? lmao
Oct 8, 2016 1:54 PM

Dec 2013
The art was not what I was expecting. It wasn't bad, but by no means was it Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso-esque stuff.

The story was moving at a pretty slow pace before the three girls were introduced, though it's fairly obvious that we're gonna be getting a bit of drama what with the MCs flashbacks and his dysfunctional life. Just hope it won't take 20+ episodes to reveal everything.

Let's see what next episode will bring..
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 8, 2016 2:01 PM

Oct 2014
Normally I hate it when there's such huge tonal shifts but since the tone corresponds with the characters present (serious when it's Rei on his own and light when it's with the people in his life) I don't particularly mind. Definitely my favorite for Fall so far, aside from JoJo.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Oct 8, 2016 2:01 PM

Jul 2014
Pacing felt awfully slow for the first 17 or so minutes, then way too quick for the last few minutes.

Although, it is pretty difficult to get a sense of pacing from reading a manga, and the first chapter is longer than the others anyway.

Pretty average so far, will wait a few more episodes so see how I feel about this.
Oct 8, 2016 2:17 PM

Jun 2010
thebrentinator24 said:
After coming from the lightning speed, hyperactive mess that was Occultic;Nine, this was a nice change of pace.

Haha, my thoughts exactly! ^^

I've read quite a lot of the manga before dropping it... No, not even dropping it, but kinda forgetting about it, so I'm glad I can come back with the anime - and it seems like a solid adaptation. Not the anime of the season (since another Working! anime airs this season, nothing else stands a chance), but a strong contender for my number two.
Oct 8, 2016 2:33 PM

Jan 2015
This was very goos, especially the beginning
Oct 8, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2014
DAMN SHAFT IS GOING FUCKING IN WITH THIS ANIME

The music itself is a 10/10 <3

If we didn't have Natsume S5, then this would be AOTS
Oct 8, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2015
Well, that was definitely different than all the other pilot episodes I've seen so far. I really enjoyed the atmosphere they had going. The backgrounds looked very nice and the music fit. I'm excited to learn more about the characters in the future.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Oct 8, 2016 3:22 PM

Nov 2015
This is from the genius mangaka who wrote Honey and Clover. I could tell as soon as it was announced because of the art style. It will have 23 episodes. Not 12, 23. You have a loving and caring family. Talking animals. The other characters don't understand them, but we do. It's pretty cute. Depression very well shown with the protagonist's hair. It has drama. Funny moments. This is perfect. This is going to be one of my favorite anime. Anime of the season. Of the year. Of the existence. I'm off to read the manga now because I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER, I HAVE SUPER HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS!!!

Cencra out.

Oct 8, 2016 3:24 PM

Dec 2012
Decent first episode. Great OP & ED song by Bump of Chicken. Interesting art style. Been a while since I last saw an anime from Shaft Studios. Love the background art.

Akari, Hinata & Momo are cute & adorable. Ai Kayano & Kana Hanazawa in the same show. THANK YOU.
The sisters are going to be a good thing for Rei.

That is one massive onigiri & Rei actually ate it. Well you can't waste perfectly good food.

Interested in seeing more Shogi. Looking forward to seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 8, 2016 3:32 PM
Dec 2010
All I'm going to say is I expected much more from an adaption of Umino Chica's works in terms of animation.
Oct 8, 2016 3:38 PM

Oct 2013
This has the best debut episode yet. If this keeps up it will be AOTS for me.

The opening drowning sequence followed by all the water symbolism in the early scenes was a nice piece of art.

The cats having their thoughts (mostly "feed me") expressed was funny.

Hina's frantic nature was a laugh.

Otherwise the underlying somber tone is intriguing. WTF, a hammer murder is reported on the radio.
Oct 8, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2013
I started this show on a whim and I must say, I was really surprised and impressed with this episode. Excellent music and visuals. Loved the opening animation, and the first third or so was quite breathtaking.

The comedy shift was definitely jarring at first but I think it fits pretty well so far. The feeling of the fast-paced actions of others around Rei forcing him to snap out of his brooding at times, then his regression back into introspection once the action is over, does a good job of bringing the viewer into Rei's emotions IMO.

I do hope the series ends up focusing a lot more on the 'heavy stuff' but according to those who have read the manga that shouldn't be a problem, so I'm optimistic.

first post on the site ayy
Oct 8, 2016 3:52 PM

May 2015
I really loved first episode - music/art and action were awesome.

Can't wait for next week. ;)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 8, 2016 3:53 PM

Feb 2012
IntrovertedNinja said:
Flawfinder said:

There's more character development and drama and less comedy as the series goes on.

So as long as Shaft doesn't add any comedic scenes of their own, this show will be mostly good from here on out? Cool.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 8, 2016 3:56 PM

Apr 2014
Yay, this level of shaft can fit. Can't wait for more!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2017

149 by little_raven »»
Apr 9, 7:55 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

90 by little_raven »»
Apr 8, 8:54 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Nov 19, 2016

111 by little_raven »»
Mar 26, 11:11 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

104 by blinddig »»
Mar 13, 2:15 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

160 by TraeKun »»
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.