Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2012
meeeh, wish it was gayer.

Sport is the only anime genre that does fanservice right.
If they can keep this level of quality this is going to be very good.
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317

Jul 2013
This is surprisingly very good! I enjoyed the characters and the skating scene was phenomenal!
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Omg that was amazing! I got goosebumps watching the scene where Yuri copies Victor's routine! My heart is beating like 100mph, I haven't been this excited for a new anime for awhile. The facial expressions are so on point. As expected of Yamamoto Sayo x Miyamoto Kenji, given how I'm still not over the Endless Night episode they worked on together from Nihon Animator Mihonichi. Really just brilliant.

I also can't get over the beautiful visuals, the detailed backgrounds as well the art style of the backgrounds. It's not too realistic, but gives sort of a sense of nostalgia, partially due to the color palette. And of course the animation is just breathtaking, I hope MAPPA can keep up this quality, and I'm not expecting ice skating in every episode.

As for the characters, our main character Yuri seems quite relatable, he kept losing, was depressed and disappointed in himself, yet still wanted to regain his passion back. I'm glad that he was able keep moving forward with ice skating, and thanks to his childhood friend's kids, he's gotten the attention of the ice-skating world! Victor seemed like he may have partially lost his passion, but seeing the video of Yuri, he knew the next thing he had to do.

The one thing I wasn't expecting was the comedy, which isn't bad per se or too much, but I could do without more than 3 instances of chibi faces in each episode. Again, it's not bad, just personal preference. Doesn't take away from my enjoyment watching this episode at all though. Definitely the new (anime original) series I'm looking forward to the most this season.

Forgot to mention the beautiful OP, love the brush stroke style, and the ED. The instagram type of music video catching on :P The songs were great too.
Oct 5, 2016 3:47 PM

Dec 2014
HYPEEE!!! amazing first episode i love it!
Oct 5, 2016 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
BlueBalls said:
Might be the best TV anime this year tbh.

Too soon. And Rakugo.
Oct 5, 2016 3:58 PM

Mar 2015
I'm wondering if Viktor and Yuri will be solely for service purpose or Sayo will insert some romance there..
Oct 5, 2016 3:59 PM

Apr 2013
This was a great first episode. The OST the animation everything was amazing!
I love ice skating so I was hyped for this but this episode was way better than I expected.

I loved when Yuri copied Victor's routine, the whole scene was brilliant!!! It really moved me!
Can't wait for next episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2016 4:03 PM

Mar 2012
This was a lot better than I expected. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 5, 2016 4:14 PM

Sep 2014
Even though the trailer was great, I didn't have the highest expectations.. but I hope this continues to be good. I enjoyed the first episode.
Oct 5, 2016 4:17 PM

Jul 2016
The OP and ED were both good. I'm really impressed by the animation.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 5, 2016 4:21 PM

Jun 2014
Almost exactly what I wanted this to be. Excellent visuals; great animated choreography; just not a fan of comedic/cartoony breakouts; Id rather it have a more serious tone.
Oct 5, 2016 4:23 PM

Oct 2009
Impressive. All I can hope for is that they can keep up the animation quality. I'm scared the rotoscoped scenes will become choppy over time, this episode had some high production value and they can usually keep that up for the first couple of episodes, but after that it becomes messy. Seeing this is a sports anime they'll have to do more ice skating scenes so we'll see how it goes I guess. I can appreciate the non standard OP and ED, it's kinda refreshing. I'm excited to see where this goes. Also if this gets gayer I'll be very happy.
Oct 5, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2015
Amazing! It got me hooked right away. So far it seems quite different from most other sports Anime I've seen, but then most of them were/are team sports.

Now, figure skating is one of like two sports I actually watch and thus know a little about. I hope that doesn't make me cringe if anything goes unrealistic. My thoughts so far: 1) Has anyone in real life actually landed four quads in competition? 2) Seems weird to be depressed over finishing in last place at the GP Final - you really have to be the best of the best just to get to that competition, and everyone has their off days.
Oct 5, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2015
Had some hype for this show, and coming from this episode it didn't disappoint. The skating scenes look really well done and I'm liking the OP/ED. Not so sure about the characters yet, but they seem likable enough. Looking forward to it.
Oct 5, 2016 4:39 PM

Oct 2015
What a great start!

The only complaint I have is that the skating animation looks choppy and stilted, especially during Yuri's skating segment. I suppose it's to be expected, though, since skating can be a very fluid sport and there's lots of movement.
Oct 5, 2016 4:57 PM

Jul 2009
This was too good. I'm gonna love this show. Watching them skate is the best. Although just like how it is in real life makes me so nervous they're gonna fall >.<
Oct 5, 2016 4:58 PM

Oct 2008
ED is so much better than the OP.

Pretty good first episode, the parts with Yuri explaining things were my favorites.

Also, dat ass.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Oct 5, 2016 4:59 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode. Great OP song. Nice ice skating visuals & like how its all in English. ED song is good as well. Cool how they created Instagram posts.

Love the background art & a lot more comedic than I thought.
Katsuki gaining a bit of weight. Minako Sensei is enthusiastic.

Katsuki & Victor's ice skating performance was stunning & amazing. Love the animation.

The power of Social Media. LOL Victor fan service.
Looking forward to seeing more.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 5, 2016 5:00 PM

Feb 2015
Catchy OP, smooth animation and an mc who is talking about self improvement from the first episode..i''m listening
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2016 5:00 PM
Feb 2016
Very gay but as long as it's good, focuses on skating and not only fujobait(like Free) i'll watch it, so far the story seems really really promising. One of the best 1st episodes this season.

Also, the details in the ED instagram posts are a great detail "Reunited with Bae".

Amazing OP too, really amazing.
Oct 5, 2016 5:09 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
This was.... AWESOME! I expected something along the lines of Cheer Danshi; enjoyable and sol but not very attention-grabbing, but damn, this was a nice first epi! The whole ice skating execution <3 Even the main character is very likable! And Viktor... <3 He's too fanservice-y, but apart from the ass shot at the end, he just has charm in his every movement which just fits! I liked how there was real commentary on the choreography as it should be. Things just seemed proper.

I do hope the fanservice doesn't increase and that the series continues to stay awesome c: Glad to see Mappa doing good things again c: Gahhh, can't wait for more!
Oct 5, 2016 5:13 PM

Sep 2011
Uhm... Wow? OP/ED are good, visuals are good. The story... Would it be bad if I said I kinda expected this? Though the whole naming your dog after someone you idolize made me facepalm. Judging by the PV, looks like there's going to be more service if even remotely subtle. The show would be so much better off with that stuff. The fanservice with the ass at the end... Lol.

Still a good episode though tbh. It's like an 7 despite me hating on figure skating and the male fanservice.
Oct 5, 2016 5:25 PM

Mar 2010
pretty good so far and i wonder what Viktors plan is .
Oct 5, 2016 5:34 PM

Dec 2013
Not really fan of sport anime but this one looks good and katsuki Yuri is fun guy and Kawaiii yu-chan too nice animation specially while skating ....and "axel, lutz, loop" isn't that all technical moves in skating lol
AlhakamOct 5, 2016 5:44 PM
Oct 5, 2016 5:38 PM
Nov 2014
(My first forum post :D)
As a competitive figure skater and a Russian-American I am loving this anime! Great first episode. Loving all the characters so far haha especially Viktor. The Russian was accurate as far as I could see... The skating was accurate as well, though having four quads in a program and two of those quads being a quad flip and lutz is crazy lol. xD Love the op and ed! Really cool how the ed is scrolling through instagram haha. Oh and if by chance any of the characters are actually gay that'd be cool since many male figure skaters are gay. :) Really impressed with this anime so far and seriously can't wait for more! So happy there's finally an anime about figure skating!
Oct 5, 2016 5:42 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Dat ass tho

Outside of the sequels, its EASILY the best first episode so far.
It was way better than expected !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 5, 2016 5:42 PM

Sep 2015
Ahh that was actually really fun to watch. Unclear where this is going but I definitely want to see more. They nailed the animation too. and the fanservice

Oh and that OP was dang good.
Oct 5, 2016 5:47 PM
Dec 2014
THAT ASS SHOT THO LOL
Oct 5, 2016 5:59 PM

Jan 2015
Favorite first episode of the season, out of the six I've watched.

Ice skating animation has already been mentioned so many times in this thread. I really love the look of the backgrounds.
Oct 5, 2016 6:12 PM
Jul 2014
I thought I might like it and it might surprise me, but this got me off guard. The first episode was awesome. Gonna keep watching, but my expectations went through the roof. So keep at it!
Oct 5, 2016 6:13 PM

May 2009
One word....BOOTYful ( no pun intended LOL)
This anime has me hooked for how beautiful the animation is, the comedy, and the beautiful men :)
Oct 5, 2016 6:17 PM

Feb 2014
I typically stay away from potential BL series but this was far too good a first episode. Start to finish it was exceptional. Got to love that OP

Props to the animation, best I have seen all year.
Oct 5, 2016 6:20 PM
Aug 2015
So far, seiyuus on point. Glorious animation and a nice russian ass.

Love it!
Oct 5, 2016 6:27 PM

Sep 2015
The OP reminded me of Ping Pong The Animation for some reason
Oct 5, 2016 6:44 PM

Jul 2015
You have given me hope.

Hope that maybe, just maybe Ballroom e Youkoso would resume (the author gets well soon) and someday get an anime adaptation. (or at least resume)

The performance looked great, the animation/art looks cool, those visuals! The OP/ED was amazing!

the VAs were great as well!

All praises now!

Yuri really needs to get back on shape though.. I doubt that it'll be a problem for him!
Can't wait for more episodes!!
ronpdeeOct 5, 2016 6:47 PM

Oct 5, 2016 6:49 PM

Apr 2013
AHhh I kinda went in blind other than reading the synopsis on here but this actually looks really good. I'm excited, I'm interested.

Oct 5, 2016 6:58 PM
Jun 2016
I FREAKING LOVE THE FIRST EPISODE!!!

Like everything from the OP/ED, artstyle, how realistic it got to the movement of figure skating techniques, the characters and the voice acting cast made my heart burst of happiness. I can't wait for next week.
Oct 5, 2016 7:37 PM

May 2015
It will probably live up to its hype. Holy cows.

So much better than I expected, and I had high hopes...
Oct 5, 2016 7:39 PM

Mar 2013
that ass.

Give me one sec to breathe. hahahah
Oct 5, 2016 7:42 PM

Aug 2008
Absolutely amazing first episode. That direction. That sakuga. Funny, interesting characters. Lots of focus on actual skating. That OP. That ED.

I didn't expect anything and got everything.
Oct 5, 2016 8:19 PM

Dec 2014
That was a good start, Really like how there's a lot of focus on the sport.

Story isn't anything special but I'm sure it'll work, Characters are likable as well.
Found it funny how Yuri got fat. xD

Props to Mappa for getting this animated the way they did, I'm surprised they managed to get it so fluid, The performances were really amazing.

Should be interesting to see how Victor teaches both the Yuri's. Looking forward to more episodes.
Oct 5, 2016 8:22 PM

Sep 2015
Quite meh for my tastes, but I saw dat ass, so it's 5/5,

You just lost the game
Oct 5, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2014
Was gonna skip this show, but I saw Chibi Reviews reaction review on the 1st episode and I gave it a go

Was surprised I actually liked it

I bet you every single female watcher just fangirled when they saw that ass lol
Oct 5, 2016 8:40 PM

Nov 2014
I watched this initially because i'm a huge fan of Mappa's style

but HOLYSHIT THAT WAS GREAT. LIKE. let's completely disregard the parts that makes the fujoshi in me come out bit really... the art, the music, everything was so so good.

You're not gay if you like this anime....guys...srsly...
Oct 5, 2016 8:47 PM
Jan 2016
The animation, the sound, the op, the ed, the characters, the coreography, everyhting was beautiful.
Oct 5, 2016 8:52 PM

Feb 2015
A lot better than I expected. I hope they can keep up the quality til the end. That Victor/Yuri performance was amazing.

Based on Sayo Yamamoto profile, she's done a lot of OPs and EDs so I'm not surprised both from this show were great. Though I did like the ED more than the OP.

I know they have the same character designer and all but I kept remembering Shinichi from Parasyte while watching.

Dat ass indeed.
Oct 5, 2016 9:01 PM

Jan 2013
The visuals and animation was superb! Great OST as well.
Oct 5, 2016 9:05 PM

May 2013
GOT DAYMN. That was amazing. The animation was superb, that music was freaking amazing, the characters already feel so freakin' real, and it was so damn gay. God, I want it to get more gay and be filled with even more fanservice. God. I'm dead. Nothing will ever top this. This season can just stop now, all we need is Yuri!!! on Ice.

Mod Edit: Calling people fags will warrant you a ban
TyrelOct 5, 2016 11:58 PM
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Oct 5, 2016 9:10 PM
Feb 2016
The Death flags for Victor...
Oct 5, 2016 9:11 PM

Oct 2013
Yuri on Ice has officially saved (or is in the process of saving) the Fall 2016 season.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movie got cancelled ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 18

50 by ravingLimey »»
Yesterday, 6:42 AM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

474 by yourlocalworm »»
Apr 19, 10:07 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2016

205 by ZolaZodiac »»
Mar 20, 5:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri!!! on Ice Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2016

235 by Musical_grl »»
Mar 16, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Do you prefer Eros or Agape?

painiwakura - Feb 24

3 by ShinyChu »»
Mar 16, 8:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.