Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2016 5:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh this isn't a full length series..

Not really used to the animation style they used. Safe to say that Shin's life will no longer by the same again with what he's got involved. Feels like the first episode developed a lot already.
Oct 4, 2016 3:51 PM

Apr 2015
It was an interesting first episode though that animation style isn't really something I'd get use to.
Oct 4, 2016 5:34 PM

Jul 2013
where did you guys watch ?
Oct 5, 2016 1:52 AM

Apr 2011
They probably watched the raws. Does anyone know if this series will receive a simulcast or if any group is fansubbing this?

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Oct 5, 2016 7:52 AM

Jul 2013
Lestat- said:
They probably watched the raws. Does anyone know if this series will receive a simulcast or if any group is fansubbing this?

i really wanna watch this, i hope anyone sub it
Oct 5, 2016 6:05 PM
Apr 2016
I was expecting other setting but oh well xD let's keep watching xd an interesting first episode
Oct 6, 2016 8:55 PM

Jun 2013
I want to watch it too but I have no other choice but to wait for fansub, if it gets any sub.
Oct 9, 2016 5:57 AM
May 2016
According to crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/10/07-1/soul-buster-en-simulcast-sur-crunchyroll) they begin this anime every tuesday at 1pm. ;)
There are 12 ep of 13 min.
Oct 9, 2016 1:47 PM
Mar 2016
Does anybody known where I can watch this with full English sub, all I can access it was from youtube.
Oct 9, 2016 1:48 PM
Mar 2016
Does anybody kown where I can watch this with full English sub, all I can access it was from youtube.
Oct 9, 2016 4:19 PM

May 2008
Cards huh? Did not expect this setting but off to an interesting start! The style oddly reminds me of the Hyakka Ryouran series for some reason. With less fan service of course, well for now? ;)
Oct 10, 2016 12:56 AM
Apr 2016
Should not be stating the obvious but they need to stop the practice of adopting Chinese production into animation. Have some mercy on the cultural fund.
Re:formed
Oct 10, 2016 2:28 AM

Jan 2015
Even that creepy teacher already know about the "Game" because he's a participant himself. And talking about the Graphic, is "unique".
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Oct 10, 2016 3:05 AM

Dec 2014
Well it was an average start, Nothing special.
MC gets pulled into something like a survival game and summons warriors using cards, Felt a little reminiscent of the Fate/ series since it was like a Master-Servant kind of thing.

The art is different but I don't think it's bad.
I don't like the splatter effects that are used during the summoning, Doesn't really make sense as to why they would use that kind of effect as it ends up covering almost half the screen.
Oct 10, 2016 5:03 AM

May 2016
Whats up with the shading in the art?.. its looks out of place and shit.
Oct 10, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2014
Fate Stay Night with cards
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 10, 2016 6:33 AM

Dec 2014
I disliked the animation styled used...but the story seemed decent though
Oct 10, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
To be honest i dont have high expectations for this and why the "screen" looks like someone wiped it with dirty rag? All i can say is "Meeeeh".
Oct 10, 2016 10:12 AM
Jul 2010
it was a... ok episode, it used too much narration to explain the lore and we still got left with doubts about what the fuck is happening, the characters are really cliche up to now and for some reason the animation throws cum at the screen everytime something happens(seriously, wtf are those blobs of liquid popping on the screen? that is really retarded special effects)
Oct 10, 2016 12:48 PM

Nov 2015
That shading filter they used is ugly.

Oct 10, 2016 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I enjoyed it more than expected but who keeps fappin over my screen??
Oct 10, 2016 2:30 PM

Dec 2012
Average beginning with some ugly parts. What the fuck is happening with the paint stains over the screen and the shadows. I hope I can get used to the shadows.
Regarding the story, it looks pretty standard with a cliche MC
Oct 10, 2016 3:21 PM

Nov 2013
Ikki Tousen ( minus fanservice and ecchi ) meets Fate was my first thought.

The teacher is shady as fuck, it was obvious that he is involved.

It's interesting so far and it has potential.

Also don't make a contract or whatever with an unknown being. Hasn't he watched Madoka Magica?
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 10, 2016 3:32 PM
Sep 2016
That overlay is as annoying as can be. Story looks interesting.
Oct 10, 2016 4:05 PM

May 2015
Meh... It was ok, nothing special. What's with that shade filter, though....

Oct 10, 2016 5:45 PM

Jan 2011
The evil looking teacher is evil. Shocker.
Oct 10, 2016 6:09 PM

Mar 2010
The episode reminded me of Fate/Zero a bit.
Oct 11, 2016 5:00 AM

Feb 2016
The graphic style was hard to deal with at first. Some scenes I think the weird thick shading lines fit and others it just seemed like the screen was dirty. Once the action started and the ink splotches started popping up it reminded my of Hyakka Ryouran and it stopped bothering me so much from then on. I suspect in future episodes any non-action scenes will bother me with the lines though.

I was surprised it was only a 12 minute ep. Why are they doing that? I think Cheating Craft was also 12 minutes but I just don't get that format. That honestly might be my biggest complaint with the show so far.
Oct 11, 2016 8:31 AM

Sep 2014
Whats up with that shit on the screen?
Oct 11, 2016 11:02 AM

Jul 2010
Wow, I don't know what's up with the paint splatter and other crap on the screen but it sure as hell makes it annoying to watch. Fuck this, dropped.
Oct 11, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2008
So it's essentially an exclusively Chinese equivalent of Fate/Stay Night (spirit servants + genderswapped heroine), Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya (obtaining servant cards) mixed in with Hyakka Ryouran art-style (which I personally disliked because the grunge and splatters are annoyingly distracting and jarring). But everything else looks pretty good, like the character designs and ED/OP. Normally I don't watch short episode series like these that would be better off being full length, but consider the crap they shit on the screen, not having to see it for long is it's only saving grace. Hopefully it gets better. At least Hyakka Ryouran had it's fanservice.

Edit:
WTF? The OVA Promo looks so much better than this. Not a single paint splatter in sight. Whoever's decision was to have that crap covering everything needs to be fired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov5mpacT5jg
Estoy_GordoOct 11, 2016 12:29 PM
Oct 11, 2016 3:20 PM

Dec 2008
I am not feeling this cinematography at all! Just what purpose is the paint splatter and shadow lines supposed to serve?
Oct 11, 2016 4:04 PM
Oct 2014
Yeah what the heck are those black lines and stain supposed to be?
The otherwise nicely drawn show gets completely destroyed by that eye cancer thing.
Completely unwatchable, 1/10 and drop.
Oct 13, 2016 7:27 AM
Mar 2012
Interesting style, but as mentioned way too much texture overlay. Shadows are bearable, but splatter blocks too much.
Lol mc can't recall his HS name? Hopefully not a baka like Outcast. He's in 3-kingdom HS, & that book says Spring-autumn HS, 2 different Chinese periods.
Character designs are cool, might stick around for fate survival game.
Oct 13, 2016 1:45 PM
Jan 2016
everything was fine but still are those fucking black lines are necessary
Oct 14, 2016 5:27 PM

Apr 2008
I was actually looking forward to this series because I enjoy shows based in some sort of historical context. To address the paint splattered elephant in the room... yeah the shading filter is annoying and the paint splatter reminds me of Samurai Girls... only it's not covering up breasts in this case. However, in a way I understand the style of the art used. The filter lends a sort of antique look to the screen, while the paint splatter is reminiscent of ink blots when writing. If you take into consideration what the main character said about the library book not saying the name of his school... and how there was nothing in them about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's safe to say that this game is re-writing history. So when you think about that, the artistic style makes perfect sense. The ink blots are the visual representation of the history rewrite...
And no, it doesn't remind me of FATE/Stay even though apparently everyone else thinks it does. How many series out there involve the summoning of someone to fight for them? Persona (which oddly enough has cards too), Yugioh (oh look cards again), even Pokemon... So the concept of summoning someone to fight for you isn't a new thing, but it's done in a different sort of setting. Course I was also getting Persona 4 vibes from when the main character chose a card too... Velvet Room all over again only with something small and creepy instead of old and creepy, lol. I kept expecting the thing to say "kashira" since it sounded so much like Beatrice from Re:Zero...
Overall however, for a short anime, it wasn't bad. I've seen worse and I've seen better. I'm going to give it the benefit of the artistic doubt, though I kinda wished the main character had turned INTO the character who fights for him. That would've been far more original and interesting since it would be a gender swap.

Long story short: Lines suck, ink blots are okay, the plot isn't exactly original, but it's short enough to be mildly enjoyable at this point.
Oct 14, 2016 11:03 PM

Jul 2010
ixarising said:
Uncanny said:
Wow, I don't know what's up with the paint splatter and other crap on the screen but it sure as hell makes it annoying to watch. Fuck this, dropped.

Hannah_Ana said:
I am not feeling this cinematography at all! Just what purpose is the paint splatter and shadow lines supposed to serve?

AeolusT55 said:
Yeah what the heck are those black lines and stain supposed to be?
The otherwise nicely drawn show gets completely destroyed by that eye cancer thing.
Completely unwatchable, 1/10 and drop.

Those are 笔触 (bǐ chù) a type of brush work. Actually it's brush stroke that is used in Chinese painting and calligraphy.

I know i may sound rude but please don't insult that it's something passed down among us Chinese.

To you it may be something weird or harsh but to the Chinese, it's a traditional stuff and passed down style of drawing or writing.

It might sound rude but maybe you shouldn't take things personally. What I was talking about were the Jackson Pollock styled giant fucking paint globs all over the screen, not an ancient Chinese tradition of beautiful brush strokes. It's unfortunate that you misunderstood. No one was insulting traditional Chinese painting either.

Furthermore it wasn't just the paint globs that were annoying it was the black lines. Everyone here thinks it was unnecessary and annoying to look at. No one here is going out of their way to insult you or the Chinese people.
UncannyOct 14, 2016 11:06 PM
Oct 15, 2016 12:57 AM
Feb 2015
Uncanny said:
ixarising said:

Those are 笔触 (bǐ chù) a type of brush work. Actually it's brush stroke that is used in Chinese painting and calligraphy.

I know i may sound rude but please don't insult that it's something passed down among us Chinese.

To you it may be something weird or harsh but to the Chinese, it's a traditional stuff and passed down style of drawing or writing.

It might sound rude but maybe you shouldn't take things personally. What I was talking about were the Jackson Pollock styled giant fucking paint globs all over the screen, not an ancient Chinese tradition of beautiful brush strokes. It's unfortunate that you misunderstood. No one was insulting traditional Chinese painting either.

Furthermore it wasn't just the paint globs that were annoying it was the black lines. Everyone here thinks it was unnecessary and annoying to look at. No one here is going out of their way to insult you or the Chinese people.

Nah don't worry i'm just saying, i probably hate those lines even more than you guys.
Oct 15, 2016 6:14 PM

Feb 2008
Huh, another adaptation based on Chinese comics this season. So this is like Fate/Stay Night with Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Idea sounds cool, but gotta see the execution.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 18, 2016 6:48 AM

Mar 2008
I sure hope Zhuge Liang pops up before this is all over. Can't tell if that's him in the ED
Oct 31, 2016 9:00 PM

Dec 2012
Am I the only one who laughed at fire and water becoming "firewater"?

Hello, Sensei. :)

The reason I'm watching this, my waifu/qizi, Ryouun, is here.

Rape face teacher is obviously bad.

Guide: Is this fate?

Me: Same thing I was saying.

Chinese Seiba is here!

The 2nd reason I'm watching this, the ED theme, is here. Awesome song by Zwei.

What the fuck is that on my screen? I saw it in the trailer and didn't mind it, but now? Who gave the ok on that?
RobOct 31, 2016 10:02 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 5, 2016 3:54 AM

Jun 2013
well that's an interesting art style to say the least and come on bro that sensei looks shady as fuck!!
Nov 8, 2016 1:52 PM

Jun 2013
While I am not a fan of the animation, it looks like it's trying too hard to be edgy, I am intrigued by the story.
Feb 1, 2017 9:00 AM

May 2012
While a decent start in terms of pacing of the episode, especially it being a 13 minute episode, but well the grunge overlay is actually quite bothering me :| especially those low quality blood/paint splashes are bothersome!

But well let's see what the rest of this series has to offer!
Aug 6, 2019 6:40 AM

Nov 2016
Can someone explain me why almost half display is covered by black columns (or wth is that) ? During watching anime I feel like watching movie on DVD that is scratched. I tried to watch it on multiple places so it isn't bad uploaded.
Apr 20, 8:59 PM
Jun 2022
Watchable But What's With The Damn Lines On Screen ?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Buster Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2016

10 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 21, 3:01 AM

Poll: » Soul Buster Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2016

9 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 9:44 PM

Poll: » Soul Buster Episode 4 Discussion

PhylloNakamura - Oct 25, 2016

14 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Soul Buster Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2016

18 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 9:28 PM

Poll: » Soul Buster Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2016

27 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 20, 9:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.