Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 1, 2016 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Decent first episode, liked the amount of action already with Fuuka Reventon kicking major ass.

Einhart also returns but I find her encounter with Fuuka to be somewhat awkward. I find this series more serious than the other Vivid show from that one Spring. My favorite part of the episode was the action in the ring. Theme song sounds fine.
Oct 1, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2008
Fuuka has some potential, she needs a lot more training and she'll turn out great and she's quite the badass to boot and even knocking Vivio out of the ring when it was looking like she would definitely lose to her. Also, it feels like a combination of a side story and a sequel to Vivid at the same time even though it's definitely the former continuity-wise. My jaw dropped when I seen Rinne ending up being a badass as well, because she was so weak and shy in the flashback.

Oct 1, 2016 10:11 AM

Sep 2015
Been waiting for Nanoha Vivid 2nd season for quite awile, but this vivid strike will do it for now. Is this an anime original? I read the manga till chp 78 still havn't see her yet thou.

The side story of Fuuka and Rinne huh, seems interesting. Rinne may suddenly turn op, our Vivio will still be the best:) not counting Einhart.
Oct 1, 2016 10:12 AM

May 2014
valvravetruth said:
Is this an anime original? I read the manga till chp 78 still havn't see her yet thou.

Yeah all this stuff is out of the hat.
Oct 1, 2016 10:24 AM

Sep 2009
valvravetruth said:
Is this an anime original?

First 3 seasons of Nanoha are anime-originals.

Production wise it is definitely better than ViVid adaptation. And I hope for a better story too, as it has vibes of Nanoha S1.
Oct 1, 2016 11:08 AM

Aug 2014
YES! I like this action so far, the story is very typical of the franchise. Nothing wrong with that! I love how Vivio is draw as a reflection in Fuka's eye when she deliver's the Knuckle. So glad Seven Arcs is back in the illustrator's seat. Looks way better visually then A-1.
BlurredVision18Oct 1, 2016 11:29 AM
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Oct 1, 2016 11:17 AM

Nov 2008
this will do until vivid s2 comes out
Oct 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
nice first episode..
ughhh I miss the girls!

but this series takes far ahead of vivid *esp nove hair becomes longer
still hoping for vivid s2
Oct 1, 2016 11:48 AM

Apr 2015
I'm... actually okay with this, partly because they announced news on 3rd half way and partly because the animation is decent.

Only complaint is Vivio should have taken the Haō Dankū Ken countless times already, she suppose to be very familiar with the move and not be caught surprised.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Oct 1, 2016 11:54 AM

Nov 2012
hmm well this was an interesting episode, so i suppose this is like an alternative story to nanoha vivid or side story? anyways it seems promising.
Oct 1, 2016 11:56 AM

Apr 2015
silverwalls said:
hmm well this was an interesting episode, so i suppose this is like an alternative story to nanoha vivid or side story? anyways it seems promising.

It suppose to happen one year after the Vivid story, and Einhart won last year's U15 tournament.

U15 - under 15
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Oct 1, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2014
TYxTxYT said:

Only complaint is Vivio should have taken the Haō Dankū Ken countless times already, she suppose to be very familiar with the move and not be caught surprised.

She completely blocked it, the amount of force Fuuka put behind the blow was impressive.
Oct 1, 2016 12:07 PM

Dec 2011
lol Hajime no Fuuka
Oct 1, 2016 12:43 PM

Oct 2010
Anyone reading the vivid manga raw can you tell me if einhart's new friend is an original character or was she introduced later?
Oct 1, 2016 1:15 PM

Dec 2014
Not that impressed by this. Nothing about it stood out in the least. But who knows where it will go really?

(On a side note, should I watch the rest of Nanoha to understand this more? (I did the same thing with watching all of Love Live before watching the 2nd episode of Sunshine))
Oct 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
Can i watch this without seeing any of the other series?
Oct 1, 2016 1:29 PM

Sep 2015
Reminds me of Bamboo Blade for some reason
Oct 1, 2016 2:28 PM

Jan 2015
Ok start. Didn;t like it that much as i hoped, but i will continue watching i guess.
Also whenever Fuka gets hit she makes the same sounds Rem did, which are annoying for me at least.
SakurasouBusters said:

yea definitely. It doesn't look like a sequel, just a separate story with some familiar characters.
Oct 1, 2016 2:42 PM

Jun 2013
Hirugiku said:
Ok start. Didn;t like it that much as i hoped, but i will continue watching i guess.
Also whenever Fuka gets hit she makes the same sounds Rem did, which are annoying for me at least.
SakurasouBusters said:

yea definitely. It doesn't look like a sequel, just a separate story with some familiar characters.

Thank you! Really appreciate it :)
Oct 1, 2016 3:17 PM

May 2012
An alright start, I enjoyed it. Fuka seems likable but her backstory along with her friend seems kinda eh to me so far. Still, nice to see 7 arcs behind it again

Burger-Meister said:
(On a side note, should I watch the rest of Nanoha to understand this more? (I did the same thing with watching all of Love Live before watching the 2nd episode of Sunshine))

I mean, you COULD, but it doesn't seem like Vivid Strike will have any references to any of the older seasons and story aside from characters. Seems to be doing its own thing a bit. Hell, Vivid Strike seems to take place a bit further ahead in time of Vivid

Maybe you could come to like Vivio and Einhart slightly more if you were to catch up—though Einhart only appears in Vivid and Vivio makes her first appearance in Strikers— but you could still watch this by itself if you decide against doing that

Oct 1, 2016 5:56 PM

Oct 2013
I decided to pick this up on a whim and while I thought the whole class difference thing was interesting, I found myself a little bored watching through the episode. Maybe it will pick up within the next week.

Also..was making the episode 2 title card an upwards shot of that girl with her boobs sticking out rlly necessary lol..aren't they under 15? but #ok
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
Oct 1, 2016 6:04 PM

Nov 2013
Fuuka is likable, action animation is great. I like this show already, hope the story line isnt going to be disappointing.
Oct 1, 2016 7:07 PM

Mar 2014
SakurasouBusters said:
Hirugiku said:

Thank you! Really appreciate it :)

I watched nanoha vivid without watching the rest of the franchise, it was still watchable but I enjoyed it a lot more after I went back and watched everthing else.

Even though this is a side story, knowing the backstory of some of the characters might make this more enjoyable to you.

That being said, if you dont care about backstories, potential cameos, references.
go ahead and skip nanoha vivd because its pretty average without the rest of the nanoha series.

Also this episode was cool as fuck. Way better than what I remember n.vivid first ep being. Maybe because A1 pictures made it instead of Seven Arcs
zunderdog24Oct 1, 2016 11:23 PM
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Oct 1, 2016 7:12 PM
Dec 2015
Burger-Meister said:
Not that impressed by this. Nothing about it stood out in the least. But who knows where it will go really?

It not necessary I think but you won't regret if you decide to watch them. All of them until StrikerS are really good including the 1st and 2nd movies.
Oct 1, 2016 7:39 PM

Jun 2015
I really liked this first episode. The action mixed with magic was really cool. Fuuka looks like she is going to be a good character.
Oct 1, 2016 8:22 PM
Jun 2015
Rikka94 said:
Burger-Meister said:

It not necessary I think but you won't regret if you decide to watch them. All of them until StrikerS are really good including the 1st and 2nd movies.

StrikerS was okay, if a little slow.

Given the franchise's love of befriending and friendship in general, I'm actually surprised that the series is going with the "we used to be friends" route.

On an entirely different note, where the hell did that guy get a gun? I thought the TSAB had completely outlawed the creation and usage of mass-based weapons (Runessa had one, but that was kind of a special case).
Oct 1, 2016 9:02 PM

Jul 2011
Explains a lot about Fuuka's barrier jacket in the OP being a disciple/student of Einhart similar to how the forwards in StrikerS have a barrier jacket based from their team leaders. The transition of role from the learning pov to a mentor is what I liked from StrikerS and certainly what I will look forward in Vivid Strike. The fights were pretty savage in my opinion. They were literally beating the living hell out of each other pretty much what I found lacking in the Nanoha Vivid adaptation. Overall, a good first ep and it has certainly made me invest a lot in this series.
Oct 2, 2016 3:10 AM

Apr 2012
That was a fun first episode! Interesting to see the new character apparently going to be Einheart's disciple.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Oct 2, 2016 8:22 AM

Jun 2013
Had a bit of a slow start but it picked up near the end, good first episode!
Oct 2, 2016 9:39 AM
Oct 2014
I have a theory that this show is going to go into darker places than we think, with call-backs to previous ideas, themes and plot-threads in the Nanoha-verse. I have a suspicion that Rinne and/or Fuuka may well be actually victims of illegal black artificial-mage projects abandoned after the aftermath of the JS Incident while very, very young, and hence being sent to orphanages. Also, Fuuka intuitively using magic from a very young age to enhance her physical capabilities may not be a simple accident of nature, unlike Nanoha - this is presuming of course, that's what Fuuka did in that opening scene.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Rinne happens to parallel an Erio Mondiall in reverse - a project Fate Clone taken from a stolen genetic sample of a rather powerful Mage who later married upwards. Later on, said Mage managed to learn that she was cloned without her consent, and tracked down the clone to an orphanage. At least, I think something as earth-shattering and of the magnitude of learning that you were a clone meant to be a more powerful version of an original and adopted by the original might be needed explain why Rinne took a 360 degree shift in personality. She's certainly seems to be the "Fate" parallel to Fuuka's "Nanoha."

Finally, Fuuka bitterly telling Einhart that aristocrats like Einhart cannot understand the struggles of the commoners hints at an interesting and very substantial socio-economic divide in Mid-Childa. I also suspect that the troubles that Fuuka seems to have with the seedier side of Mid-Childa may well have attracted the attention of certain people in the TSAB we know are linked closely to the Vivid plot. If this is the case, I wonder where Einhart's intelligence on Fuuka's situation is coming from. And I wouldn't be surprised that Einhart understands the seedier side of Mid Childa that Fuuka experienced, more than Fuuka thinks. I get the feeling we might finally get answers about Einhart's personal background and immediate family history that the Vivid Manga never went into.

These are just some theories and observations, but I am very skeptical that Vivid Strike is going to play the magical girl nor fighting shounen genre straight, nor is the case of Rinne merely a girl changing because she was adopted into a wealthy family. I'd definitely be watching this show closely.
Oct 2, 2016 10:24 AM

May 2008
novalysis said:
I have a theory that this show is going to go into darker places than we think, with call-backs to previous ideas, themes and plot-threads in the Nanoha-verse. I have a suspicion that Rinne and/or Fuuka may well be actually victims of illegal black artificial-mage projects abandoned after the aftermath of the JS Incident while very, very young, and hence being sent to orphanages. Also, Fuuka intuitively using magic from a very young age to enhance her physical capabilities may not be a simple accident of nature, unlike Nanoha - this is presuming of course, that's what Fuuka did in that opening scene.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Rinne happens to parallel an Erio Mondiall in reverse - a project Fate Clone taken from a stolen genetic sample of a rather powerful Mage who later married upwards. Later on, said Mage managed to learn that she was cloned without her consent, and tracked down the clone to an orphanage. At least, I think something as earth-shattering and of the magnitude of learning that you were a clone meant to be a more powerful version of an original and adopted by the original might be needed explain why Rinne took a 360 degree shift in personality. She's certainly seems to be the "Fate" parallel to Fuuka's "Nanoha."

Finally, Fuuka bitterly telling Einhart that aristocrats like Einhart cannot understand the struggles of the commoners hints at an interesting and very substantial socio-economic divide in Mid-Childa. I also suspect that the troubles that Fuuka seems to have with the seedier side of Mid-Childa may well have attracted the attention of certain people in the TSAB we know are linked closely to the Vivid plot. If this is the case, I wonder where Einhart's intelligence on Fuuka's situation is coming from. And I wouldn't be surprised that Einhart understands the seedier side of Mid Childa that Fuuka experienced, more than Fuuka thinks. I get the feeling we might finally get answers about Einhart's personal background and immediate family history that the Vivid Manga never went into.

These are just some theories and observations, but I am very skeptical that Vivid Strike is going to play the magical girl nor fighting shounen genre straight, nor is the case of Rinne merely a girl changing because she was adopted into a wealthy family. I'd definitely be watching this show closely.

I can agree with this. One of the things that caught my attention is that it has this sense of familiarity from Vivid and it seems to be leading you to a similar tournament situation from Vivid, but I think that's where the similarities will end. It makes for an opportunity to put the Vivid characters in a situation with higher stakes, and they avoid repeating the stuff from Vivid S1 and the upcoming S2 (the rest of Inter-Middle will be S2's lifeblood, honestly). There's some good potential here if they lead us into something familiar only to take a hard left turn.

We've had certain themes going on and as you mentioned, it's not like the series has avoided darker themes before. Even Vivid had some darker moments with the stuff about Olivie and Claus, lighthearted as the rest of it was. I do hope they go into a direction like this.
Oct 2, 2016 12:20 PM

Apr 2010
So basically the new Nanoha only in a boxing vibe this time?
Well so for it looked nice tho so many different coloured eyes.
Oct 2, 2016 2:08 PM

Apr 2014
great first ep, and already taking a liking to fuuka as she is different from most in the series so im looking forward to how things goes with her in this season

but also was nice to see all the other back in action and even better than before so cant wait to see whats to come
"one step at a time"
Oct 2, 2016 6:00 PM

Jul 2013
Started out impressive and had a Yuki Yuna vibe and 10 minutes later. Um no... just no. Dropped

Oct 2, 2016 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
KamenRiderMagna said:
Started out impressive and had a Yuki Yuna vibe and 10 minutes later. Um no... just no. Dropped

Lol what happened?
Oct 2, 2016 6:38 PM

Aug 2014
KamenRiderMagna said:

lul

It's thanks to the unique nature of the Nanoha franchise that shows like Madoka and Yuna became a thing. I'm glad Tsuzuki more or less sticks to his style rather than trying to be the next edgelord magnet mahou shoujo.
Oct 2, 2016 6:40 PM

Mar 2011
Great episode, I liked this more than Vivid.
Can't wait for the transformation scenes
Oct 2, 2016 8:10 PM

Aug 2012
I liked Nanoha when it was about Nanoha.
Oct 3, 2016 2:29 AM

Mar 2014
SirMaddy said:
I liked Nanoha when it was about Nanoha.

its a good thing they didnt put her name in the title then.