Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shuumatsu no Izetta Episode 1 Discussion

Oct 1, 2016 2:42 PM

Well then, this is all going to be interesting to watch especially since our lead seems like she is going to be the strong type that is sorely needed in anime nowadays. I liked just about everything that was given but the yuri undertones is already making me worried. Hopefully it won't be too distracting because this narrative seems like it's gonna pack a lot of potential.
Don't believe the hype.

Oct 1, 2016 2:48 PM

Count me in on this one...that was pretty damn great as far as first episodes go.

Oct 1, 2016 2:51 PM

Seems prety fine, i didn't remember about the plot from when i had added this to the plans though. But they prety much bought me with the witch versus nazi setting.
This will be a fun ride.

Oct 1, 2016 2:56 PM

That was a great first episode. The scene at the beginning with Izetta was fantastic, as well as the use of music throughout the episode. I have high hopes for this!

Oct 1, 2016 2:57 PM

Great start ! I loved the mix of real history with mystical witch and the animation was beautiful

Oct 1, 2016 2:57 PM
this is gonna be my top shows for the season i love the idea of war mixed with a new flavor like magic

Oct 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Not bad as a beginning episode. The WWII setting was nice, the princess actually tried to be competent, the main antagonist was cool and the ending with Izetta wrecking the plane looked really beautiful (+ great soundtrack).

This looks good, hope it doesn't ends being a disaster.

Oct 1, 2016 3:00 PM

Like the first episode, but also had a few alarm bells go off. For one, the only reason for the alternate history seems to be to avoid real life political issues. Secondly, there's the yuri undertones, and finally some things are off for no particular reason. For example: the German officer's pistol was engraved with "who dares wins", which is the motto of the British SAS, and while it is clearly set in the 1940's, it really feels more like 1910-1920's.

tot said:
i can only think of suou pavlichenko when i saw that rifle

Nope, you were not, though I've tried my best to forget everything about Suou and the rest of that turd of a sequel.

The fact that it has been retconned in canon says enough.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi

Oct 1, 2016 3:04 PM

Nice first episode , it has a comb of war and witchcraft that I like very much, nice animation too ,I have great expectations with this one it could be one of the best this season , fingers crossed :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 1, 2016 3:12 PM

izzeta first episode kinda okay, animation and ost is beautiful.. unexpected from no name studio. so for first episode 7/10

Oct 1, 2016 3:26 PM

Is there a reason that I feel like I'm recognising the art style? I don't recognise any of the studio's other works and the anime is listed as an original, so it's not because of some manga author connection.

Either way, I absolutely love the theme. I'm very fond of WW2 themes. The environments, the level of technology, the fashion and architecture. Aside from the horrors of war and the racial exterminations it is a very cosy time period.
Modified by Kapten-N, Oct 1, 2016 3:31 PM

Oct 1, 2016 3:36 PM

Good opening episode, really looking forward to see how this turns out, Hope its doesn't get overshadowed by Yuri arguments after every episode as I'm sure that's not what it's about.

Oct 1, 2016 3:39 PM
Hahah the bath scene wasnt fan service.. it was supposed to show the scar Fine got while defending Izetta.

Oct 1, 2016 3:53 PM
Great storyboarding, nice visuals, great OST.

There is a really interesting mix of realism and fantasy elements at work here. The title, The Last Witch, hints at a time of transition from the age of magic to the age of industrial mass warfare. Princess Finé and Izetta are throwbacks to another era, caught up together at the start of a cold and brutal age.

The military is very detailed and looks realistic, a blend of WWII (Stukka dive bombers) and WWI (trenches, German Kaiser). At first I thought it was set in an AU 1929 where the two wars were merged (Gosick), but this story explicitly takes place in an AU 1939, but with royalty still in charge of Britannia and Germania.

I hope that Izetta doesn't become another clichéd nigh-invincible Magical Girl. She should have limitations in this kind of tale. I also hope they can keep the animation production quality up.

Oct 1, 2016 4:12 PM

Interesting first episode. I kinda like the personality of Fine
Witch riding broomstick is too mainstream, why not a rifle

Oct 1, 2016 4:26 PM
Now some parts of the soundtrack so far are pretty great, but the sound in general kinda lacks any "Oomph." The sound effects for the explosions and gunshots in the episode were kinda dull, like BB guns. That might bother me if it continues, but it looks pretty good from what I've seen. I'm hoping they can carry this well.

Oct 1, 2016 4:45 PM

Great first episode. It introduced us to the setting quickly and efficiently, created some intrigue behind Germania's motivations and Izetta and Finé is shaping up to be a very likeable character if she doesn't become useless.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Oct 1, 2016 4:55 PM

HuuskerDu said:
The military is very detailed and looks realistic, a blend of WWII (Stukka dive bombers) and WWI (trenches, German Kaiser). At first I thought it was set in an AU 1929 where the two wars were merged (Gosick), but this story explicitly takes place in an AU 1939, but with royalty still in charge of Britannia and Germania.

They never said that Britannia was ruled by royalty. The Princess specifically said that it might convince their people and parliament to want to protect her country if she marries their Prince.

Trenches aren't a thing exclusive to WW1. Trenches were still used throughout WW2 by all sides. Seeing them in this anime is no surprise since it is early in the war and most Generals expected it to play out similar to how WW1 played out. They say that Generals always fight the previous war.

Oct 1, 2016 5:16 PM

What kind of Junketsu no Maria is this???

Oct 1, 2016 5:17 PM

I can say that it's pretty interesting, the animation from the opening 'til the end is somewhat nice, let's see if they can keep that up together with the story until the end this is an original work by the way I really don't expect that much on Izetta x Fine romance, Amanchu killed my hopes and dreams.

Oct 1, 2016 5:18 PM
SilverDio said:

One that doesn't focus on the witch.

Oct 1, 2016 5:24 PM

1idd0kun said:
SilverDio said:

One that doesn't focus on the witch.

Shit, that is a bummer.

Oct 1, 2016 5:55 PM

In my opinion using a ( alternate ) WW II setting is a bit delicate. But this looks promising.

I love the detail, they put into it with the German language.

Izetta using a rifle instead of a broom was cool.

Her name is similar to that of a german bubble car. I'm curious, if that's intentional.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
I don't think about breasts all the time. Only 30 minutes a day. - Aoyama

Oct 1, 2016 6:03 PM

Really liked this episode! Nice setting and love the character designs. Also Saori Hayami <3

Oct 1, 2016 6:07 PM

Yuri, men, get on board! We'll defend it until we all fall down! All haill Yuri bait!
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."

Oct 1, 2016 6:07 PM

They got as close to WW II as possible with quite a lot of detail without being distasteful , i'm surprised how many people are kinda harsh on this (well not really..) i thought it showed a lot of promise i would of been a okay without the witch element because i fee like that could make or break this show,visuals are great motherfucking bunbun on the character designs and the scores were impressive.

hopefully it stays good!

Oct 1, 2016 6:16 PM

So why do they just leave that super duper top secret shit out in the open

why not put it in like, i dunno, a discrete, unmarked padded box?

But that aside this is literally just WW2 with different names. I see a Pz. II, Stukas, etc. They even copied the Balkankreuz they just changed one arm of the cross slightly. Goddamn somebody on the production team gets off hardcore to the whole nazi aesthetic.

Actually the Bundswehr still uses the Balkankreuz, I wonder if they could sue for copyright infringement....

But I mean... couldn't they have at least tried to make it look like they put some effort in? Because Germania is basically Nazi Germany, but with all their real life weaknesses (no amphibious invasion force, god-awful intelligence, etc.) conveniently deleted.

Oct 1, 2016 6:40 PM

Starting off the show we have great animations, great music, and good characters. And I have to say, I was really surprised at the production quality coming from such a small unknown studio called Ajia-Do. I think, they’ve really worked their hearts into this anime. Because unlike big studios, A-1 Pictures or UFOtable, small studios don’t get to secure unlimited budget.

We first start off with a childhood memory of our main character princess Fine meeting the witch. Then it cuts to the present and dives right into the action on a fast moving train, where Fine is being chased by a few Germania soldiers. During this action sequence we’re also being introduced to setting of the show, which is roughly based WW2, where Germany, or Germania in this show, has begun to invade neighboring countries.

In this train sequence, you can tell they’ve put in details to make the action flow and add to the realism. For example, they show Tobias just getting into position by hiding behind the crates, and then later popping up taking a bullet. Or the Germanian officer making the going down signal on top of the train and then few scenes later showing up in the cargo space. The sequence makes sense, it flows. In so many other anime, it’s such a cliché where a character randomly pops out of no where in a dramatic scene, and then the show goes in slow motion with surprised expression on everyone’s faces. You don’t see none of that in Izetta, the last witch.

The characters so far, is pretty likeable. They mostly focused on Princess Fine in this episode. She is a very strong and competent character. She is able to make decisions decisively and she also understands the weight of her position as a princess. Despite eventually being backed into a corner, she still stands proud and loyal to her country. Now, this is when the other main character, Izetta, finally shows up, and blowing up half of the plane with her. And again, they’re introducing character during action sequences. So the pacing never feels slow or sluggish.

Now for my predictions, I do think this show will probably have a heavy focus on political drama, as it did have a pretty serious tone over the entire episode. It definitely has the potential to be a pretty good anime, the quality is here. It might be hard to pull off because you have the realism aspect of the war, and the fantasy aspect of the magical girl. These are pretty conflicting themes, and if it’s not done right, one of them will just end up being as a distraction to the other. Or, of course they could just take the third option and go as a yuri fan service show. Only time will tell.

@Playboy

No advertising your reviews on the website.
Modified by Tyrel, Oct 2, 2016 1:53 PM

Oct 1, 2016 6:43 PM

this series looks like its gonna be really good and off to a great start imo really looking forward to see how this series turns out
"one step at a time"

Oct 1, 2016 6:52 PM

Wow, this episode was pretty great! I really like this. Fine is a great character and the setting/plot seems good. The design and animation was pretty good too.

I'll watch this.

Oct 1, 2016 7:06 PM

Good start so far! I like how Fine isn't one of those Princesses that are whiny and can't do anything.

Oct 1, 2016 7:11 PM

Nice, nice, nice! Great 1st episode!

Now don't go too much into twists and holes now <3

Saber is back btw

biased me is biased for loving Hayami Saori's voice (like there'd be a season where she's not in it tho)

Oct 1, 2016 7:11 PM

Holy hell, was there ANYTHING to dislike in this??? As a side note, now I'm reminded how I wish I could one day take pride in my country...

Oct 1, 2016 7:12 PM

Silverkarldork said:
I do have a complaint though, the gun fire doesn't seem powerful enough. Not sure if it's sound effect or if it stems from the way it was animated, but it just didn't seem impactful enough to be something that can wound as bad as it did, let alone kill someone.

That caught my attention too. I think they were using silencers for the guns, given that shots were being fired near crowds.

Oct 1, 2016 7:14 PM
Old_Raven said:
was there ANYTHING to dislike in this???

The sound direction wasn't all that good. Some scenes felt awkwardly put together. And there wasn't enough witch.

Oct 1, 2016 7:26 PM
My most hyped anime of the season, hasn't dissapointed.
The princess's personality is really one dimensional right now, but it's hinted that she'll struggle with bottling up her emotions.
Really freaking weird how the narrator's exposition was in the middle instead of the beginning.

Oct 1, 2016 7:26 PM
Di...did I just watch the 1st episode of the yuri Code Geass reboot?
Not that I'm complaining, just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Oct 1, 2016 7:28 PM

Fine is pretty...fine....BADUM TSSSSS. (wonder how many times that will happen)

No actually she is pretty cute, I like the purple eyes and blonde combo. Her self sacrifice, goal driven and tomboy personality made me a fan of her already. She also has an interesting scar on the side of her body and it seems like she got it from protecting Izetta. I'm interested in seeing their history together.

Very solid start with good pacing and great animation. That final scene with Izetta coming out of her pod was beautiful. I was excited to see this series when I was sifting through the Fall lineup and I had above average expectations on this. Glad I wasn't disappointed and I'm stoked to see the next episode. Fine is a pretty cool female lead thus far and the great Saori Hayami's voice fits her personality type pretty well.

4/5
Really intrigued on where this will go with the WW2 setting, a Princess and a Witch.
Modified by TehSnawn, Oct 1, 2016 7:40 PM

Oct 1, 2016 7:32 PM
Only I got Asuna's feeling from the MC?

Oct 1, 2016 7:36 PM

It kinda bored me with all these pseudo-names for countries and political debate: Westria, Germania, Brittania, wtf. Not all countries end with an "ia". I don't know why Japan can't use actual names when talking about WWII, I feel like they will even make like Japan never acted. The protagonist is the typical tomboy Hime-sama, even his bodyguard says "Hime-sama" or "Fine-sama" all the time. It's like they hired a guy for just one line. The soundtrack sounds fine, tho, and the animation is decent. But this seems like a good country vs evil country anime, and I don't feel like it will be entertaining. Also, I hope the witch isn't just another girl who just screams "Hime-sama" everytime Finé is in danger.

Oct 1, 2016 7:36 PM
Fine's just a Nogi Wakaba clone.

Oct 1, 2016 7:37 PM
ichigomaru said:

What MC are you talking about?

Oct 1, 2016 7:59 PM

So far, so good. kinda liked the princess.
will continue.

Oct 1, 2016 8:14 PM

It's not everyday you see a witch flying out of a nazi airship using a rifle instead of a broom.

Oct 1, 2016 8:25 PM

Was expecting some crap like Strike Witches but got pretty impressed instead, hope it keeps up

Oct 1, 2016 8:54 PM

Came off on a really good start, I liked it. But please leave out the unnecessary fan service scenes... please. And NO yuri.
Modified by Kilikclia, Oct 2, 2016 7:50 PM

Oct 1, 2016 8:58 PM

loved it! really nice animation in both style and consistency (i mean i know this is pretty much a given for every first episode but... still), great cast of voice actors, great premise, and great background music!

i try not to get my hopes too high on shows that queerbait and/or have fanservice, but i have to admit it really drew me in! even though i only watched it because my friend insisted it was really cool (she's a history major so as you can imagine she's having the time of her life right now, lol).

i mean the fanservice wasn't unbearably excessive and i kinda have a feel for how these things go now - so i know the next couple of episodes will probably have zero to none (unless it really is just gonna be a fanservice-y show) and then midway there'll be some more thrown in to keep those kinds of fans interested lol. also i hesitantly use the term 'queerbait' just because i do feel like my friend and i could just be reading too much into things and seeing hinted romance where there is none. /shrug

anyway, the reason i'm hype for this show is because very rarely does something bad have a good soundtrack. it can happen, but it's rare.

to think i thought i wouldn't have anything to watch this season, too!

Oct 1, 2016 9:01 PM
1idd0kun said:
ichigomaru said:

1idd0kun said:
ichigomaru said:

The princess... (need 15 characters to reply lol)

Oct 1, 2016 9:02 PM

Fenryr19 said:
It's not everyday you see a witch flying out of a nazi airship using a rifle instead of a broom.

in the (in)famous words of 3oh3: "i got my gun cocked tight and i'm ready to blow". ;)

Oct 1, 2016 9:11 PM

Interesting first episode, there is a mistery behind that witch and the personality of the princess is really strong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »