Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Magi Chapter 323 Discussion

Oct 1, 2016 12:39 AM

THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
RIP Sinbad, his death was a little anticlimactic

The
but you don't have hands anymore

Line was kinda funny at first but really it was basically Ugo saying
You went above your head and lost even the hands you had used to grasp your dreams

Which is sad, he wanted MORE and because of that lost sight of what he already had.

It was a fitting end, don't be greedy, enjoy the things you have or you'll also lose those

Modified by xShigarakix, Oct 1, 2016 12:45 AM

Oct 1, 2016 1:40 AM

somehow i cannot believe sinbad die too soon, maybe he will fused with david to fight ugo

Oct 1, 2016 2:44 AM

RIP, Sinbad. This is what you get for being too greedy and not listening to Ja'far. But I wouldn't be completely surprised if he somehow came back.

Oct 1, 2016 6:55 AM

Nah,I don't trust this. Sinbad's gonna return, there's no way the Ohtaka would just kill such an important character like that.
But man,isn't Ugo just fucking awesome lmao.

Oct 1, 2016 10:40 AM

So Ohtaka just killed one of the most important characters in the series in a chapter, but you know, I'm okay with this. Having pre-prepared solutions totally works with this series.

Anti-climatic, but not disappointing. This is fine.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ

Oct 1, 2016 10:01 PM

Holy fuck that was brutal. I guess his name is now Singedbad amirite. On a serious note though Ugo was creepy as fuck at the end there.
Yo

Oct 2, 2016 1:38 AM

Ugo is ...
fucking insane. So calm, and brutal.

Oct 2, 2016 2:19 AM
So I was right. Hugo used Sinbad to lure David into his reach to finally stop David. And I sense Sinbad is not done. There are so many factors people are not analyzing... well as a writer of course I'll be more focused to this, but as a reader, it is so dense in context that I believe people missed a few aspects, and the shock factor has been very effective. He will come back. Considering Shonnen Jump editor and direction standards, his death would not be accepted business-wise. Many mangakas have had to change plot lines and re direct their entire series, take hiatuses or even rush them as she is now, to accommodate these conditions under contract. Considering she is releasing his own managa, and much money has been invested in this character, the option of him being eliminated is unlikely.

These are the 4 options I believe could happen to make the release of his own manga congruent, with the Magi closing finalization:
a) His past self somehow comes back to the current time,
b) He is redirected to the time of his past to prevent aiding David
c) He reincarnates as another human or perhaps even Alibaba's child.
d) He comes back at the end to fulfill his last piece of the role Hugo gave him.

And this one is an important one.
Ohtaka has a very complex writing style and has proven many a time to show that just because the focus is on certain characters, it does not mean they are the main characters. Good and Evil is relative once there is an understanding of motives and influences and anti/tragic/heroes fit these scenarios best. My thoughts were reinforced when I read the raws in Japanese and Hugo uses the very peculiar and important word to refer to Sinbad as the Protagonist of his own story. If we take a moment and analyze this, as others have brilliantly said, Hugo is indeed God, only using Solomon's standards. So Hugo creator of that world refers to Sinbad as protagonist, making his position very clear.

Now it is important to understand that in Japan, especially in Shonnen Jump, where this manga is being published, main characters ought to be young, and male, because in it's Magazine's title it is specified that the manga published there is for young boys. The themes revolving around boys maturing, taking that leap and jump, hence the name. Ohtaka expressed in her personal blog and Twitter in 2014, (of course in Japanese) that editors pressured her to keep Alibaba as the main character instead of Sinbad, due to editorial policies and magazine direction policies., because he was too old to be a main character for Shonnen Jump. And it is why she published Sinbad's own manga. Because by her preference he is her main character.

That being said and considering this all, the only way he can survive is if he stays young, for which some of the possibilities I have thought of could very likely be more congruent. There is also the possibility that she is gravely ill (which has happened as D.Gray Man's Katzura Hoshino was, who had to take many Hiatuses and releases tri monthly due to health) and needs to finish the manga before the contract expires or undergoes treatment or any other personal issue that makes her rush it. Or as per usual this is a brilliant writing, marketing, and publishing strategy, and is trolling the fanddom hard.
Modified by Apam999Merlo, Oct 2, 2016 2:42 AM

Oct 2, 2016 4:07 AM

Ugo's a bit scary right now lol I can't really see how things will progress from this point on

Oct 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Somehow I find it hard to believe that Sinbad is dead...maybe he will come back somehow.
Suddenly David and looks like he got wrecked too, or most likely not done yet.
Ugo OP, wonder how this will turn out.

Oct 2, 2016 4:40 PM

Damn..... What a powerful chapter. Very deep, sad and convincing all at once.

I really don't know what to say as Sinbad was a very adored and respected character from my end. But greed can be a dangerous trait and it is a chapter like this that shows even the greatest can fall.

Hats off for Sinbad.

Oct 3, 2016 8:14 AM
Apam999Merlo said:
So I was right. Hugo used Sinbad to lure David into his reach to finally stop David. And I sense Sinbad is not done. There are so many factors people are not analyzing... well as a writer of course I'll be more focused to this, but as a reader, it is so dense in context that I believe people missed a few aspects, and the shock factor has been very effective. He will come back. Considering Shonnen Jump editor and direction standards, his death would not be accepted business-wise. Many mangakas have had to change plot lines and re direct their entire series, take hiatuses or even rush them as she is now, to accommodate these conditions under contract. Considering she is releasing his own managa, and much money has been invested in this character, the option of him being eliminated is unlikely.

These are the 4 options I believe could happen to make the release of his own manga congruent, with the Magi closing finalization:
d) He comes back at the end to fulfill his last piece of the role Hugo gave him.

Ohtaka has a very complex writing style and has proven many a time to show that just because the focus is on certain characters, it does not mean they are the main characters. Good and Evil is relative once there is an understanding of motives and influences and anti/tragic/heroes fit these scenarios best. My thoughts were reinforced when I read the raws in Japanese and Hugo uses the very peculiar and important word to refer to Sinbad as the Protagonist of his own story. If we take a moment and analyze this, as others have brilliantly said, Hugo is indeed God, only using Solomon's standards. So Hugo creator of that world refers to Sinbad as protagonist, making his position very clear.

Now it is important to understand that in Japan, especially in Shonnen Jump, where this manga is being published, main characters ought to be young, and male, because in it's Magazine's title it is specified that the manga published there is for young boys. The themes revolving around boys maturing, taking that leap and jump, hence the name. Ohtaka expressed in her personal blog and Twitter in 2014, (of course in Japanese) that editors pressured her to keep Alibaba as the main character instead of Sinbad, due to editorial policies and magazine direction policies., because he was too old to be a main character for Shonnen Jump. And it is why she published Sinbad's own manga. Because by her preference he is her main character.

That being said and considering this all, the only way he can survive is if he stays young, for which some of the possibilities I have thought of could very likely be more congruent. There is also the possibility that she is gravely ill (which has happened as D.Gray Man's Katzura Hoshino was, who had to take many Hiatuses and releases tri monthly due to health) and needs to finish the manga before the contract expires or undergoes treatment or any other personal issue that makes her rush it. Or as per usual this is a brilliant writing, marketing, and publishing strategy, and is trolling the fanddom hard.

Good read, but Magi is not published by Jump, is on WSS (weekly shonen sunday) it doesnt change any of the points of your post, quality reading!

Has Arba been killed already? she is not death because we David would still help Arba and she will need to watch Ugo Again

Oct 3, 2016 3:53 PM

Xioxas said:
somehow i cannot believe sinbad die too soon, maybe he will fused with david to fight ugo

No he's gone. his rukh joined the flow

Oct 3, 2016 8:37 PM
KamiuftRain said:
Apam999Merlo said:

Good read, but Magi is not published by Jump, is on WSS (weekly shonen sunday) it doesnt change any of the points of your post, quality reading!

Has Arba been killed already? she is not death because we David would still help Arba and she will need to watch Ugo Again

Actually there is a difference between publisher and magazines, yet they work very closely regarding content, reading ratings and release. Shogakukan (which in the title has the meaning of high school, which again relates to their target demographics) is the publisher and Shonnen the magazine. Shonnen or better and most famously known as Shoonen Jump, and also as Weekly Shonnen Jump has many magazine branches such as Shonnen Sunday, (weekly Shonnen Sunday) which again is a branch of the main Magazine, and fall under the same politics for editorial, content, marketing and content. And where Magi has been released since June 3rd 2009. And still releases Magi.

Oct 4, 2016 12:13 AM
OH I have realized something!!! You CAN hurt Hugo with a Metal Vessel! Kogyoku gave him the final blow with MV Vinea, after he was weakened to fight Judar. And then He was not able to come back or materialize as a Jin. So it means... a magi can tire hugo, and a metal vessel can make the final blow. But I guess that will be left for Aladdin and Alibaba.

Oct 4, 2016 12:48 AM

Apam999Merlo said:
OH I have realized something!!! You CAN hurt Hugo with a Metal Vessel! Kogyoku gave him the final blow with MV Vinea, after he was weakened to fight Judar. And then He was not able to come back or materialize as a Jin. So it means... a magi can tire hugo, and a metal vessel can make the final blow. But I guess that will be left for Aladdin and Alibaba.

You realize that was simply a remote controlled body of Ugo don't you? The core was never there

Oct 4, 2016 1:39 AM

Well, there goes my favorite character of the series by far. Sinbad's end was fitting and depressing, but it also left me a bit let down that he died the way he did over the other possible directions it could have went. Such a great character with depth to his personality that made him extremely interesting as both another protagonist and an antagonist. Luckily there's still Alibaba and his cool new power to keep things extra exciting for me now, though.

This outcome will probably be a lot more impactful once Sinbad no Bouken ends. The unexpectedness from the mundane moments leading up to him going there and feeling of astonishment it leaves you in afterwards is already making this scene memorable to me. I can't even begin to imagine how both his precious allies and the entire world will react to the VERY sudden death of him overnight.
Modified by Evildoer, Oct 4, 2016 1:46 AM

Oct 5, 2016 6:33 PM

I don't think Sinbad needs to come back, his adventure is over and so is his role as Ugo said. He died smiling and without regrets possibly seeing his old dead friends. His Rukh joined the Great Flow, and his death is fitting according to the books.

Oct 9, 2016 4:42 AM

Hahaha what the heck is happening here.

Did he just burn Sinbad and killed him, and that dude at the end lmao, who came up with this comedy.

Oct 9, 2016 4:47 AM

All I could just say after finishing it was: "RIP Sinbad."
And yes, I agree, I thought his death was anti-climatic too. I expected something more dramatic like Sinbad struggling like hell to live, to go to the Sacred Place.
It was funny considering that he was killed like he was a fucking mosquito by Ugo. Freaking hilarious.

Oct 9, 2016 1:42 PM
Maki's arms

I strongly feel that at some point Sinbad. Characters like him don't die off in a single chapter.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 10, 2016 1:27 AM

Sinbad flew too close to the sun.

The page when Ugo mentioned that the chance isnt 1% but ZERO..at that point i knew he was about to die. It would be bullshit if he will come back later at some point..even if his death was so damn anticlimatic that i didnt want to realize it .

Oct 12, 2016 11:23 AM

Apam999Merlo said:

Ugo made plainly clear that Sinbad fulfilled his role. Sinbad's ruhk was already mixed into the flow of the ruhk as that of the sea.

In the original story of Sinbad, he rode on the wings of "Angels", and was nearly instantly killed by God. Magi just takes the turn of Sinbad fighting those "Angels" and actually dying by God's hand.

It's interesting how close Magi sticks to the original stories, with the mangaka's own twist to the whole thing.

Oct 13, 2016 12:53 PM

RIP Sinbad what a way to death , no one is even there , Ugo is op-

Oct 15, 2016 3:10 AM

That Ugoception xD

Oct 16, 2016 6:53 AM

And finally he dies!! RIP

Oct 17, 2016 6:23 PM

So when can one say that he has lived a successful and fruitful life...?
In Sinbad's case yes he indeed accomplished such thing,
but that death fills empty (or is it just me).

Maybe some panels where his life flashes before his eyes (all the way from the start of his journey w/ his father until becoming the man who stands at the pillar of the worlds new age) a LIFE REVIEW.

Well nonetheless Sinbad already fulfilled his role, lets leave it all in the hands of our MCs.
He died a happy man.
Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.

Oct 20, 2016 11:34 AM

Sinbad's death is quite fitting for him and is somewhat peaceful. It's quite unique for a manga, when usually there happens a lot of edge deux machina sh*t, only so the overpowered character can die. I believe the chance of him dying for real is big,'cause his magoi returned tot the flow. In the end, he realised what did he really wanted,he finally realised he is just a human and that he is really selfish and that selfishnes ws what killed him. Good job Mangaka-san for developing him till his end (something most mangakas don't do much nowadays).
And since when was Ugo this strong! He is a god (literally)!!!I remember him as crafter of magic items or something like that hehe. What will happen with Arba now? Will she die or what? And about David. I don't think Ugo will beat him easy, after all this way the manga will end without the main characters even in the picture (which I haven't seen anywhere before).

Oct 27, 2018 9:30 AM

Sinbad had made a legend ...