Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2016 9:05 PM

Sep 2012
I was excited about this anime, the ratings are phenomenal and I had really high expectations.

After watching episode 8 where a prolific climber gets eaten by a flying creature, trying to climb down from the 3rd phase spot (trick tower), it left a disgusting taste in my mouth.

So people overcome these trials and succeed against terrible odds, just to be treated as stupid bad examples in mere seconds?

This is not the first time minor characters are killed in a stupid, meaningless way. Moments before, Killua kills some guys instantly, because of his frustration as a result of not touching a ball during a game.

Will this anime stop using its minor characters as simple meat bags or will it continue with this bs?
"Ouvis? Falai vós cortês! Vós, fidalgo, cuidareis que estais na vossa pousada? Dar-vos-ei tanta pancada com um remo que renegueis!" Auto da Barca do Inferno, Gil Vicente

Ignorância gera violência, nela nunca procurei abrigo
Cultivo a paz pela subsistência da existência deste universo onde resido.
Se estás a um passo do abismo pensa bem,
Não queiras para os outros o que não queres para ti também.
Sala 101 - Dealema
Sep 30, 2016 9:12 PM

Mar 2008
Despite the cheery opening, the world of HxH isn't a nice place. I don't think that ever changes, and the killing of stock characters will continue.
Sep 30, 2016 9:21 PM

Sep 2012
Ckan said:
Despite the cheery opening, the world of HxH isn't a nice place. I don't think that ever changes, and the killing of stock characters will continue.

Thank you for the warning. I will stop watching this mindless show right away. There's so much stuff wrong that I found out. Secondary and minor characters can kill each other in one moment, then the remaining bunch will be gathered at an airship just so a small group can die, because a kid is frustrated? No investigation took place, nothing. They died and that's it, story moves on like nothing happened.

It's such a stupid and inconsistent plot so far. I'm beginning to doubt how it's rated as a 9.
"Ouvis? Falai vós cortês! Vós, fidalgo, cuidareis que estais na vossa pousada? Dar-vos-ei tanta pancada com um remo que renegueis!" Auto da Barca do Inferno, Gil Vicente

Sala 101 - Dealema
Sep 30, 2016 9:40 PM
Jul 2018
This is the reason mal shouldn't have changed hxh to PG-13.

Anyway killing continues, for the answer.
Sep 30, 2016 9:52 PM

Jul 2013
>thinks fodder characters are "minor characters"
>mindless meaningless killing
>Game of Thrones is one of your favorite tv shows

3/10 low tier shitposting cmon bruh you gotta try atleast abit
Oct 1, 2016 12:00 AM

Sep 2012
StefanHere said:

All the characters that overcame triage and the first phase should better than meat bags at least. They are displayed as dumb or cocky characters just so the main characters can be appreciated by the audience when compared side by side. Kids should not see people die and think it's the most natural thing in the world, especially that young (unless the story revolves around war and social conflict, which is not the case of Hunter X Hunter).

For a show that is rated more than 9 out of 10, it should have a better structured story than just mindless killing. I understand it's Shounen, but still its story is cheaper than the worst animes I've seen until now.
Fabio-sOct 1, 2016 12:12 AM

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 1, 2016 12:23 AM
Jun 2014
> Watched 8 out of 148 episodes and thinks he can judge the story. Never change, internet!
Oct 1, 2016 3:25 AM

Jul 2013
Fabio-s said:
StefanHere said:

(unless the story revolves around war and social conflict, which is not the case of Hunter X Hunter).

why are you talking as if you watched the series when you only have seen 8 episodes?
Oct 1, 2016 3:37 AM

Feb 2016
Is this topic supposed to be serious or is just a big joke ahaha wtf ..
kingfroggyOct 1, 2016 3:40 AM
Oct 1, 2016 3:55 AM

Feb 2015
OP already dropped it and gave it a 1/10. That makes this thread pretty pointless.

"Kids should not see people die and think it's the most natural thing in the world, especially that young (unless the story revolves around war and social conflict, which is not the case of Hunter X Hunter)."

It's not even meant for kids and the series does actually revolve about war later on (to some extent.)
AshitaNoJonasOct 1, 2016 4:19 AM
Oct 1, 2016 6:35 AM

Sep 2012
StefanHere said:

why are you talking as if you watched the series when you only have seen 8 episodes?

I asked a question and it was answered in a simple way. For me that's enough. I don't like the direction the anime is taking from the start, it disgusts me personally. It was told me that down the road it will stay the same.

JonasTheJay said:
OP already dropped it and gave it a 1/10. That makes this thread pretty pointless.

I'll change the score to adjust the real quality of the show from my perspective, 1/10 was unrealistic. This show is a solid 3/10 exclusively for its art and sound.

It's really pointless to argue further about this, it was just a question and I gave my reasons to formulate it. Thank you for all the patience and understanding.
Fabio-sOct 1, 2016 6:39 AM

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 1, 2016 6:58 AM

Oct 2013
Fabio-s said:
Ckan said:

Thank you for the warning. I will stop watching this mindless show right away. There's so much stuff wrong that I found out. Secondary and minor characters can kill each other in one moment, then the remaining bunch will be gathered at an airship just so a small group can die, because a kid is frustrated? No investigation took place, nothing. They died and that's it, story moves on like nothing happened.

It's such a stupid and inconsistent plot so far. I'm beginning to doubt how it's rated as a 9.

Firstly,Why it's stupid and inconsistent plot??? Care to elaborate?
Secondly this show doesn't treat minor characters as meat balls, it also treats major ones as well when it makes sense to the plot. Also treating a character like a mediocrity isn't uncommon, almost every show does it, you know why? Because there are people in this world that are mediocre or worse and actually it is the vast majority of the population.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Oct 1, 2016 7:15 AM

Sep 2012
vedatsvet said:

Secondly this show doesn't treat minor characters as meat balls, it also treats major ones as well when it makes sense to the plot. Also treating a character like a mediocrity isn't uncommon, almost every show does it, you know why? Because there are people in this world that are mediocre or worse and actually it is the vast majority of the population.

I apologise if I hurt your feelings about this show, which seems to be one of your most favourite. My opinion was made and I really believe it's the kind of anime that's not meant for me to watch. I can't suspend my disbelief enough and start watching it just like perhaps a 8 year old would.

I respect everyone that enjoys watching the anime, please accept my opinion, I'm grateful for the feedback on this subject.

Thank you for your patience.

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 1, 2016 7:21 AM

Apr 2014
I started enjoying HxH in the first arc when they were dropped on an island and had to fight eachother. Before that I was kinda baffled by the score on MAL.
Now it's one of my favourite shows, since it's not your typical "namakapower powerups when it's convenient", if you know that I mean.
It gets a lot better after episode 8, but yeah, if you don't like minor characters dying then this show is not for you :[
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Oct 1, 2016 7:40 AM

Jul 2009
Well, the climber made the wrong choice and got eaten as a result. The strong one survive, the weak die.
Yeah, there is no need to watch it if you don't enjoy it.
Oct 1, 2016 7:53 AM

Feb 2015
Fabio-s said:
Ckan said:

Yup, this was one of the reasons I didn't like it either. It just kills off characters like lives mean nothing and nobody really cares. I watched up to episode 35 or so, but in my opinion, it isn't worth it if you already dislike it at episode 8.
Oct 1, 2016 8:09 AM

Sep 2015
It would have been way better if you had just assessed your point that this anime simply isn't for you without displaying arrogant contempt towards people who probably have deep genuine passion in it with insulting and condescending remarks.

Then again, it is pretty common to see this type of behavior nowadays amongst anime fans.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Oct 1, 2016 8:33 AM

Oct 2013
Fabio-s said:
vedatsvet said:

I apologise if I hurt your feelings about this show, which seems to be one of your most favourite. My opinion was made and I really believe it's the kind of anime that's not meant for me to watch. I can't suspend my disbelief enough and start watching it just like perhaps a 8 year old would.

I respect everyone that enjoys watching the anime, please accept my opinion, I'm grateful for the feedback on this subject.

Thank you for your patience.

I am not offended, people have other opinions I accept that. What bugs me is ignorant claims without explanation, "stupid and inconsistent plot" was not elaborated from you, opinions are one thing but being rude and judge something without providing sound and concise reasoning is another thing. I can understand you not liking x,y,z but labeling x,y,z as stupid or inconsistent should be followed by arguments. Peace man, hope I don't sound offensive.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Oct 1, 2016 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
UpperCat said:
It would have been way better if you had just assessed your point that this anime simply isn't for you without displaying arrogant contempt towards people who probably have deep genuine passion in it with insulting and condescending remarks.

Then again, it is pretty common to see this type of behavior nowadays amongst anime fans.

Don't make this personal. I didn't offend anyone. I asked a question and supported it with what my own reasons. It wasn't a rant, just a honest question about an anime that is currently positioned in the top rated of all time. My expectation were high, that's why I sounded like I did.

Once again, I apologise if I hurt someone's feelings.

Fabio-sOct 1, 2016 10:05 AM

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 1, 2016 9:12 AM

Sep 2012
vedatsvet said:

I am not offended, people have other opinions I accept that. What bugs me is ignorant claims without explanation, "stupid and inconsistent plot" was not elaborated from you, opinions are one thing but being rude and judge something without providing sound and concise reasoning is another thing. I can understand you not liking x,y,z but labeling x,y,z as stupid or inconsistent should be followed by arguments. Peace man, hope I don't sound offensive.

You're right, that deserves an explanation. I called inconsistent and stupid because some situations were inconsistent and stupid.

Super inteligent guy with computer in the first phase gets everything right about other characters and current situation, but fails in a stupid way during the stamina test. Inconsistent and stupid, in my opinion.

Earlier, when Kurapika takes offense over rude and racist remarks about his tribe and wants to fight Leorio. It ends abruptly like nothing happened. Forgive and forget racism, right?
Inconsistent and stupid, in my opinion.

Visca forest: Hisoka is seen as crazy guy that failed the previous test, but "because supervisors/examiners change all the time" he still got a second chance. Then he kills a bunch of guys just because they demanded justice for his behaviour (even though the requesite for passing triage and kiriko episode was good behaviour, especially in the case of Leorio that took care of the supposedly wounded guy). Inconsistent and stupid, in my opinion.

I have many more examples if you need, which is crazy considering I only watched 8 episodes and this anime is just as inconsistent and apparently as random as it possibly can be.

Sorry about the double post. I edited the previous one, but it took too long...
Fabio-sOct 1, 2016 10:06 AM

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 1, 2016 9:20 AM
Sep 2016
It's sad because i just read this entire chain of comments when i don't give a shit -3-
Oct 1, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2015
Fabio-s said:
UpperCat said:

Don't make this personal. I didn't offend anyone. I asked a question and supported it with what my own reasons. It wasn't a rant, just an honest question about an anime that is currently positioned in the top rated of all time. My expectation were high, that's why I sounded like I did.

Once again, I apologise if I hurt someone's feelings.

No I did not and I don`t want to.

Alright, maybe you did not intend to do that but like I said you should have been done it in better way. I have seen lot of similar threads and some of them could articulate their 'honest' opinions in more considerate way and walked out peacefully. This is all my concern.

You have your opinion and I respect that. Since you have apologized as well, though maybe it is better addressed to the one who need it since I did not feel offended at all, so I will drop this conversation just as that.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Oct 1, 2016 11:22 AM

Dec 2015
The point of trimming so much fodder fat is to show how ruthless the Hunter world is. HxH's shounen tag can be a bit misleading compared to its actual content, it's really not as cheery as it seems to be and gets darker and darker as the story progresses. It seems it's just not your cup of tea.
Oct 1, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2015
The Hunter Association and the people in charge of running it are not highly moral (won't go into more depth because it can spoil). It actually becomes a plot point later on in the story, but of course you can always drop it and give it a 3.
Oct 1, 2016 12:04 PM

Jan 2015
I don't see why your upset that side characters are dying in one of the most dangerous events in the show. As others have said it's to show just how dangerous life is as a Hunter is and how only the strong survive. Also all the characters know exactly what their getting into so it's not like their innocent. Basically yeah it's rough and unfair and the show shows it with the deaths of a lot of side characters. And as others have said the show elaborates more on this later on. About how rough being a Hunter is, their not exactly normal people.
Oct 2, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2011
well if you dont like watching fodders dying all the time then yeah you wont enjoy this, there are lots of fodder killing on every single arc. some of those deaths are kinda funny though
Oct 8, 2016 12:26 AM

Jul 2012
hunter x hunter is a brutal world. drop it if you dont like merciless killings... watch naruto or fairy tail instead
Cty Best mid
Oct 8, 2016 1:01 AM

Sep 2012
Kurokokoy said:
hunter x hunter is a brutal world. drop it if you dont like merciless killings... watch naruto or fairy tail instead

Brutal world is what the anime Monster and Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin show. This anime is a shallow meat grinder. Part of the reasons are justified above.

Sala 101 - Dealema
Oct 8, 2016 4:17 AM

Mar 2012
There was a colossal uproar in Japan regarding the content that forced the anime to change its rating up to an R-17. So no.
End Zionazism
Oct 8, 2016 8:55 AM

Oct 2013
Fabio-s said:
Kurokokoy said:

Brutal world is what the anime Monster and Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin show. This anime is a shallow meat grinder. Part of the reasons are justified above.

I guess it's an an appropriate response to that comment but it is on the same level with his comment.
Oct 9, 2016 3:52 AM

Oct 2008
How about an actual response.

I think OP is put off by the seeming worldview of the show by episode eight: that life has no value and can be snuffed out at any time for cheap shock value. I can understand and appreciate that point of view.

The author, however, does not share this worldview - he actually does have a great capacity for empathy and compassion for his characters. It IS also true, however, that he's not at all afraid to show the brutal realities of what humanity and nature are capable of in this universe - again, life can be snuffed out abruptly and unceremoniously, with no rose-tinted shonen goggles to be had here. That is not to say that the author is an emotionless meat-grinder - this may be only one of a few series that's ever made me cry. No one without a deep understanding of emotional investment, moral dimension, and masterful storytelling could pull that off. This is also not a series where you can expect minor characters to get offed around every corner, as there's many secondary characters who contribute meaningfully to the plot and character development of the leads.

To address your concern: you're right to observe what's happened is, indeed, really fucked up. The author knows this too. Killua, for example, is a broken person who's not being glorified for being a murderer. You'll learn why he and other chracters are so detached to the value of human life. Yoshihiro Togashi, if nothing else, is a man with perspective; he's married, has children, and a rich creative legacy. Give this series another shot.

P.S. - The inconsistencies you mentioned aren't entirely untrue. It's also true that each examiner has their own rules and requisites. The Hunter Exam, by it's very nature, is extremely inconsistent and entirely dependent on what rules each examiner comes up with. If someone dies in the exam, for basically any reason, it will not be investigated, as it's outside of any national jurisdiction. You would have to piss off or attract the attention of one of the hunters for anything to happen to you. Getting through stage 1 essentially means you're completely ready to die, or have such confidence in your strength that death isn't a concern.

I don't think the actual exam arc does a good job of exhibiting the gravity of what becoming a hunter entails, given that it's through the lens of a kid having an adventure, so he's not entirely concerned with this side of things. Getting a hunter's license automatically makes you an extremely important person on the geopolitical scale. You're basically beholden to no international law, and are pretty much only bound by the threat of other hunters coming after you if you commit atrocities. The reasons behind this will become clearer as the show goes on, but it helps give a bit more perspective as to why people are literally dying in droves to fanatically get this license. You almost have to be an egomaniac to get into the Hunter's Association. Turns out that the transnational entity run by egomaniacs to deal with the world's problems doesn't make for a very stable, safe life in most places.
DangerrOct 9, 2016 4:45 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2014

780 by InkDruid »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 59 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FrostToaster - Dec 15, 2012

154 by red-tomato »»
Yesterday, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

516 by DF_BR »»
Apr 15, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

42 by Sorachin »»
Apr 15, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

914 by cube98 »»
Apr 13, 10:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.