Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you aware of what a cassette tape is?
Sep 29, 2016 6:00 AM

Nov 2014
Litmus testing for cultural awareness and being born after the year 2000.
How to fix the review section, detailed here

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2016 6:07 AM

Jun 2016
I wasn't born after 2000 but whatever might as well join in on the b8 OP dearest.

I still have a shelf's worth of casettes(there would be more but the other ones have had their tapes destroyed by the VHS), but that's not hipster enough fam, we still have vinyl records and a gramophone in our shed.
Though I would guess this isn't very surprising for an ex-second world country, everything came in much later here.
Sep 29, 2016 6:16 AM

Nov 2014
Erg_Orgy said:
I wasn't born after 2000 but whatever might as well join in on the b8 OP dearest.

I still have a shelf's worth of casettes(there would be more but the other ones have had their tapes destroyed by the VHS), but that's not hipster enough fam, we still have vinyl records and a gramophone in our shed.
Though I would guess this isn't very surprising for an ex-second world country, everything came in much later here.

Unlike most things I post, this is pure curiosity. I'm well aware that the median age on Mal is about 16, which puts the median birth year at about y2k. An age of children who are growing up in a world where the internet was already widespread and common, and also a cell phone in hand. I'm shocked at the number of people I meet who actually don't know what they are, because they've never seen a cassette (notice that I don't specify what type of cassette. That's part of the inquiry) and a lot of other technology from... Not long ago.

The average reader (HS level) reads at about 200 WPM. So a 500-800 word review should take 3-5 minutes to read. That's an acceptable length for something you're interested in spending 25 minutes to 4.5 hours of your life watching.

Oh, and ANN requires any and all reviews to be 800-1200 words, no matter the length of the show.
Sep 29, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2016
Uh yes? How could they not even if they were born over 2000. this is 2016. not 2116. You still sometimes hear people talk about cassette tapes and vhs every once in a while.
Sep 29, 2016 6:27 AM

Aug 2015
OK, seeing I was born in 1970 and all, yes, I have all of my tapes from when i was young. Most of them still play too! I have heaps of recording from the radio shows and concerts. Mostly from the late 1970's and up to about 1988. After that, Cd's started to come in, but mostly in the 1990's I switched to cd's.

I still have unopened tapes, actually boxes of them.

I ended up learning to pre-stretch them before recording; that is full forward and reverse them a number of times before using them for recording so it does not skew the recording, otherwise if the tape stretches, your music slows at bit here and there.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 29, 2016 6:30 AM

Jun 2016
@lawlmartz I suppose a lot of it comes down to the decrease of interest in generally anything among the youngest generations.While the internet and technology in general can broaden your horizons, it can just as easily narrow it down if used in certain ways, something which lots of people do.But one could argue that it's not entirely the kids' fault considering all the outside influences they're affected by.

Poor sods have probably never had the privilege of playing games on the Commodore 64.
Sep 29, 2016 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
Sure do.
In fact I still have Green Day's Warning on cassette.
Sep 29, 2016 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
I don't remember where and when the last time I used the casette tapes. If I recall correctly, I had used it to play classical music of pop songs... Nevermind, it is already outdated.
Sep 29, 2016 6:47 AM

Nov 2014
Erg_Orgy said:
@lawlmartz I suppose a lot of it comes down to the decrease of interest in generally anything among the youngest generations.While the internet and technology in general can broaden your horizons, it can just as easily narrow it down if used in certain ways, something which lots of people do.But one could argue that it's not entirely the kids' fault considering all the outside influences they're affected by.

Poor sods have probably never had the privilege of playing games on the Commodore 64.

I'm curious how many people googled it before going "ugh, the nerve of this person, thinking I don't know what a cassette is!"
Because you know someone did it.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a requirement of everyone to know what they are... There's plenty of obsolete yesteryear technology that I'm unaware of, but you'd have to trip way back for that (and I'm not that old). It's just amazing to me how insular and navel gazing the born after 2000 children are. Like you said, it's almost as though the internet has narrowed their avenues of exploration. Maybe because they haven't had time to get out and find out for themselves?

I'm not far removed from them in age, yet I identify more strongly with persons born in the 80s than the 00s... I grew up without a cell phone and I can remember a time before internet. Just don't see eye to eye with them, though that's normal because they're still children and I'm a grown man.

Maybe I should do a poll on dial-up, AOL, and Askjeeves. Zombocom

Sep 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Sep 2016
Yes, I'm aware of what a cassette is. Who isn't?
Sep 29, 2016 6:53 AM

Apr 2015
I'm the third youngest in here (@lawlmartz had me beat by a month if their birthdate is legit, but then @GoldenApricot swooped in and stole the glory) and I know what a cassette tape is. My mom's old car had a cassette player in it, and there's audio of me reading "Go Away, Big Green Monster" as a little kid on a cassette tape in a basement somewhere.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 29, 2016 7:01 AM

Sep 2016
Born in '97, my dad had an old boombox with some cassettes. Can't say I remember what they were, but I remember him showing me them and us popping them in and me being amazed by it, lol.

At that time, I was already wandering around with my portable cd player, so I guess I found it fascinating to see how things before that worked.

Singing a song of melancholy..

Sep 29, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2014
CatSoul said:
I'm the third youngest in here (@lawlmartz had me beat by a month if their birthdate is legit, but then @GoldenApricot swooped in and stole the glory) and I know what a cassette tape is. My mom's old car had a cassette player in it, and there's audio of me reading "Go Away, Big Green Monster" as a little kid on a cassette tape in a basement somewhere.

No matter how much I may act like it, I can assure you my birthdate is not 2001.

It's actually 2002.

Sep 29, 2016 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
yeah I am aware of what it is I had some at my house tho never used any of them

tho I was born before 2000 but whatev
Sep 29, 2016 7:07 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah, and I feel old now T_T

I had songs on a cassette :3
Sep 29, 2016 7:13 AM

Nov 2008
Yep, although I had a CD player since 1992 (Turboduo), but I had some rap and rock cassettes back when American Rap and Rock was good.

Sep 29, 2016 7:32 AM

Apr 2012
Oh, yes along with the pager, vhs, laser disc and early cd players.
Sep 29, 2016 7:36 AM

Sep 2015
im a 2000 kid and i know what they are. they're the disks you stick into your computer right?

Sep 2016
Funny, I just bought a cassette tape the other day. Happened to be looking through the local Goodwill and found a signed cassette from one of my old teachers back when he was in a band. Good folk musician, had no hesitation in grabbing it purely for the music.

Sadly it was signed to his "Biggest fan" either they died or reeeeaaally didn't care that much for him.

I'm older than the typical age demographic here though, so my response is purely for anecdotal reasons and not scientific.

Jan 2012
If I could just be like Star Lord and look cool with a cassette player in this day and age.

thegreatnathyboy said:
im a 2000 kid and i know what they are. they're the disks you stick into your computer right?

Are you talking about floppy disks?
Sep 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Sep 2015
Basude said:

thegreatnathyboy said:

i was joking. i know what they are, and ive used them once or twice. vhs tapes too
Sep 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
Lol Of course. I still have some of my cassette tapes. lol
Although I don't use them anymore.
Sep 29, 2016 7:43 AM

Jan 2012
thegreatnathyboy said:
Basude said:

i was joking. i know what they are, and ive used them once or twice. vhs tapes too

I honestly couldn't tell if you had been joking although I had a slight suspicion. I'm going to go lay in a hole now.
Sep 29, 2016 8:06 AM

Jun 2014
I was born in 1988, and in the early/mid 90s, cassettes were the main thing everybody used to listen to music, and I still have all my cassette tapes. CD players existed, but nobody I knew had them, because they cost an arm and a leg. I didn't see a CD with my own eyes until the late 90s.

Sep 29, 2016 8:13 AM
Oct 2014
VHS, absolutely. As for music we mostly listened to CDs, but my mom used cassetes in her car, and I did also have a little cassete player as a little kid.

I'm born in '94 though

Sep 29, 2016 8:32 AM

Apr 2015
I never liked cassettes myself, but I am familiar with them.
My father had two cassettes I loved a lot, Bad Company's Bad Company, and Holy Solider's Last train.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Oct 5, 2016 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
I'm 30, had a lot of cassette tapes and vhs' in my childhood.
To record a tape with favorite music was like a ritual to me.

Nowadays analogue mediums are popular again, mostly because of hipsterism imo.
A lot of independent artists release their music on tape and the trend is still strong.
Oct 5, 2016 1:33 AM

Jul 2016
Well, if you are born in 90s you will know it. As for me, I have tried to record some music to it.
Oct 5, 2016 4:23 AM

Aug 2016
Duh, who hasn't used one? Even though I can confirm I have, I can also confirm that these are pretty bad and the stock are better
*inb4 tf2 has gone to even worse shit, so my tf2 jokes arent funny anymore

-10 bait points, pretty much everyone has used a casette tape and this is not a good way of gauging the ages of MAL users, OP
VariFoxOct 5, 2016 4:58 AM
Oct 5, 2016 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
I don't use them anymore, but yes... I know what a cassette tape is lol
Oct 5, 2016 4:29 AM

Jun 2015
Yeah, I know. Really random thing to wonder.

Oct 5, 2016 5:12 AM

Aug 2013
I hate all those 2000's kids GIVE ME YOUR YOUTH you kids don't deserve it.
Oct 5, 2016 7:12 AM

Jul 2014
I'd sooner forget. Frequency response is garbage, they degrade even with normal + careful use and God forbid you accidentally leave the tape on the passenger side seat under the sun. They don't even have the tactile packaging of Vinyl.

I remember struggling with a particular tape in this bombed out late 80's(?) Ford Falcon.
Fuck that. Never again.
Oct 5, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2014
Spooks said:

Me too bree. Kids these days. #BORNINTHEWRONGGENERATION
they just don't know how good they've got it, growing up cell phone in hand, the vast infinity of the webs at their thumbtips.

Oct 5, 2016 10:02 AM

Nov 2012
I still have a Walkman and a shitload of tapes that i use...
Oct 5, 2016 10:27 AM

Aug 2013
lawlmartz said:
Spooks said:

Me too bree. Kids these days. #BORNINTHEWRONGGENERATION
they just don't know how good they've got it, growing up cell phone in hand, the vast infinity of the webs at their thumbtips.

when I was a kid you could only go on the internet at a library and it was shitty dial up with that horrid grinding noise kids today will never have to suffer. 5 minutes to load one terrible low quality jpeg image pixel by pixel.
Oct 5, 2016 10:39 AM

Nov 2012
the dial up modem is my txt tone and I love it, 90% say wtf was that and I educate them...
Oct 5, 2016 10:41 AM

Nov 2014
Spooks said:

when I was a kid you could only go on the internet at a library and it was shitty dial up with that horrid grinding noise kids today will never have to suffer. 5 minutes to load one terrible low quality jpeg image pixel by pixel.

https://www.dialupsound.com/

@mofohobo

this is handy for education on not just dialup... but AOL... oh, AOL.

Oct 5, 2016 3:22 PM

Mar 2014
dude. theres still many lables putting out cassettes these days. i have a fiew, but dont play them anymore (or buy). they just break to easily. i'd rather spend my money on records.
sadly there are a fiew albums i would love to have, that really only exist on tape..
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 5, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2016
I love them because I'm hipster trash
Talk shit to me and so help me fucking god, I'll come over there and do absolutely nothing.
Oct 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Feb 2012
I had a *gasp* record player as a teensy tiny tot. Tapes are what I grew up with.
Oct 5, 2016 5:25 PM

Mar 2008
Something that pencils mysteriously fit in the hole of perfectly.

gizter13 said:
dude. theres still many lables putting out cassettes these days. i have a fiew, but dont play them anymore (or buy). they just break to easily. i'd rather spend my money on records.
sadly there are a fiew albums i would love to have, that really only exist on tape..

How do you find places that sell vinyl that isn't just classic stuff from the past? It's a pretty niche thing still even though it's kinda popular. I used to own a record player in my house but I thinnk my dad tossed it after he converted his old records to digital. They still have a lot of old records I think in boxes somewhere I might go through so I can start my own collection some day.
Oct 5, 2016 5:27 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
lol this reminds me of the thread where i started talking about windows 98 and floppy disks
Oct 5, 2016 5:52 PM

Feb 2012
W
EcchiLordMamster said:
lol this reminds me of the thread where i started talking about windows 98 and floppy disks

Oh the days when I liked Windows. Best OS they ever made.
Oct 5, 2016 7:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
sisgood said:
W
EcchiLordMamster said:

Oh the days when I liked Windows. Best OS they ever made.

i still use windows... windows 8 now, i HATE Mac lol
Oct 5, 2016 7:07 PM

Jun 2015
I'm pretty sure they all know what a cassette tape is, even though some of them may have never used it.

Someone mentioned floppy disks. I'm sure those born after 2000 have heard of those, too. But have they heard of 5.25 disks? I remember using one of these puppies back in 2000. (Man, I feel old now.)

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Oct 5, 2016 9:13 PM

Aug 2010
born in the 90s so yea. still have some cassettes that work just like VHS tapes and my 90s game consoles.
Oct 6, 2016 5:14 AM

Feb 2016
I had tons of cassette tapes and VHS tapes. Didn't have many legitimate cassettes though, mostly mixtapes and copies I made of my friends' tapes. Do you remember sitting with a blank tape in your stereo waiting for them to play a song you wanted to record?

daky-kun said:
I'm pretty sure they all know what a cassette tape is, even though some of them may have never used it.

Someone mentioned floppy disks. I'm sure those born after 2000 have heard of those, too. But have they heard of 5.25 disks? I remember using one of these puppies back in 2000. (Man, I feel old now.)

I remember using those to play games on the C64, and I didn't understand why when they went to the smaller floppies in the hard plastic cases they still called them "floppies" until much later.

Why were you using one in 2000 though? By that point even the smaller floppy disks were on their death bed as CDs were taking over and flash drives were the hot new thing on the horizon.
Oct 6, 2016 5:21 AM

Aug 2016
I miss the good old days of big booty ass 12/14" TV's, white noise! and only having 9 channels from either Ireland or the UK.

God I love 90's/very early 2000's Ireland

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Oct 6, 2016 7:46 AM
Jul 2018

@traed

Fresh vinyl is sold online, often you buy it directly from labels or their distributors.
My small vinyl collection consists from music that was produced in 2000-2010's.
Every big city probably has at least one store that sells new vinyl too.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

54 by Meusnier »»
16 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 39 minutes ago

3 by Meusnier »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

52 by Meusnier »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

24 by Theo1899 »»
49 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

7 by Theo1899 »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.