Forum Settings
Forums

Do you believe there is an "anime community"?

New
Is there such a thing as the "anime community"?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 30, 2016 10:51 AM

Feb 2015
Onii-chan said:
_Ako_ said:

Ehhhh?! I'm not dreaming am I? This is real right?
yup it's not a dream
but im not into lolis my friend

Dude, as lomg as you fap, you're in!!
Sep 30, 2016 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
Pullman said:
mattao313 said:
It still applies though.
If you're going out of your way to talk about something you are part of the community and it exists.

So anybody who talks about islam on CD is part of the muslim community?
I like your logic.

You have a point, I should have been clearer I should have said as a fan. But even then it might be people in there that is Islamic, part of a hate group or someone just interested in it.
Sep 30, 2016 11:47 AM

May 2015
GamerDLM said:

I mean I wouldn't make it a requirement to do things like read reviews daily, that's called obsessed which sure would fit into the community but it shouldn't be an entry level requirement. The fact that a moviegoer in this scenario is keeping up-to-date or active with people they know to the point that say they see like 10+ movies per year like Romagia said that person would fit into the community.
I personally wouldn't consider myself part of a movie community because I haven't been to a movie theater in like 4 years and the only movies I've watched since are pretty much anime related although that's rare at best.
TV watchers I did say wouldn't fit an idea of a community because it is much too broad. Although individual fanbases for series I would say are a community.

I would heavily assume they're talking about the people who actively watch anime. Of which they are probably falling out of in terms of the community and thus trying to disassociate themselves. Now chances are they might specifically be talking about the western anime community because it's the one they are probably exposed to the most. Unless it's in the context of something like sales then they might be focusing on a larger community.

I know a lot of people who go to the movies. Very few would fit the 'movie community' bill, since they're not passionate about it. They watch it for entertainment, but they don't explore the topic. Anime watchers tend to explore anime, not just watch it.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 30, 2016 11:52 AM

Dec 2015
I definitely believe there is a such thing as an anime community. Within the community there are many different sub-interests (which I think is great) and we don't always get along, but at the end of the day we all "get" each-other. Get a bunch of us in a room together and we can talk and laugh for hours. As much as we bicker sometimes when someone outside our community tries to offend one of us, we tend to ban together. We share our excitement and passion together. We befriend each-other. I think many of us feel a kinship towards other anime fans. I know I do. Many of us feel a sense of belonging when we are together and I think that is the heart of what a community is. I am kind of getting mushy, but fuck it, I love you guys. : )
Sep 30, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2013
I believe anime comunity is more like an "small" group of tribes rather than a whole community. You have the weeb tribe, the elitist tribe, the filthy plebs tribe, the waifutards tribe... all of them belongs to the same species, but their culture and behaviour are totally different between themselves. Of course, I'm not series.
Sep 30, 2016 12:00 PM

Nov 2013
Uh.....this is MAL...MAL's fourm...is this not a community in and of itself??

Ya i think it is a community, but it doesnt have to be an integral part of people's life, which is what i'm assuming op meant.

When you say people criticize the anime community, ya there will always be criticism of everything, that is just part if life, but that does not mean everyone has to accept it. There will always he exceptions, so certain criticism might only apply to few, but exist nonetheless.

For example, look at the post reconstruction black community. Everyone wanted equal rights, but hrough different means, some violent, some peaceful. But they all strive toward the overarching idea of equality. so when some criticized their movement as violent, that doesnt apply to everyone that wants equality.

So to apply that to the anime community. Everyone watches anime; that is what connect us together. But others may criticize anime such as ecchi and harem as brainless and bad for people, but that would only apply to people that actually watches it, not everyone in the community.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Sep 30, 2016 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
GamerDLM said:

I mean I wouldn't make it a requirement to do things like read reviews daily, that's called obsessed which sure would fit into the community but it shouldn't be an entry level requirement. The fact that a moviegoer in this scenario is keeping up-to-date or active with people they know to the point that say they see like 10+ movies per year like Romagia said that person would fit into the community.
I personally wouldn't consider myself part of a movie community because I haven't been to a movie theater in like 4 years and the only movies I've watched since are pretty much anime related although that's rare at best.
TV watchers I did say wouldn't fit an idea of a community because it is much too broad. Although individual fanbases for series I would say are a community.

I would heavily assume they're talking about the people who actively watch anime. Of which they are probably falling out of in terms of the community and thus trying to disassociate themselves. Now chances are they might specifically be talking about the western anime community because it's the one they are probably exposed to the most. Unless it's in the context of something like sales then they might be focusing on a larger community.

I know a lot of people who go to the movies. Very few would fit the 'movie community' bill, since they're not passionate about it. They watch it for entertainment, but they don't explore the topic. Anime watchers tend to explore anime, not just watch it.

To me though I don't think being passionate about something is the same as being a part of it. It kind of goes back to a couple past threads of "How much anime do you have to watch to be considered a fan?" In which a fair amount of people said any, as long as you watch and enjoy it you're a fan. So it seems strange to me to think that being a fan has minimal requirements but being in the community has a checklist of things to enter.
I can sort of use myself as an example, I didn't participate in the forums at all until like 2 months ago, I almost never research things about the industry unless it's a broad fact that happens to apply to a discussion (excluding things like how much of the source material the anime covered, although that's mostly for gauging sequel opportunity), I don't pay attention to things like staff for an anime, I don't research most of the anime I watch, I never read reviews. So basically I primarily just watch anime for enjoyment but I would still consider myself a part of the community despite not being particularly active in it until more recently. Which would be really strange if I watched say 200+ days worth of content related to something yet somehow I wasn't a part of the community.
So I guess my follow up question is you would probably consider the people in your example fans of the movie theater experience but at what point do they reach a vague bar to be a part of a community?
Sep 30, 2016 12:29 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
by your definition, NO, but in a general sense... kind of...

the problem is were just too varied... i mean, most ppl i know who watch anime don't watch or do nearly as much as i do
so i only really compare myself to people who are comparable to me

i mean, i wouldn't count a person who watches 1 anime a season to be part of the "community"

and as far as i go:

i don't talk about anime with people THAT MUCH and most ppl dont even know im into it, or at least how into it i am

at conventions i just kinda meet up with people i already know. i've never cosplayed and i rarely even take pictures of cosplay

i don't read manga, play VN's, or watch hentai...

i only watch 2 youtubers who talk about anime

and when it comes to talking with ppl irl, im just more of a "hey did you see the latest episode of *insert anime*?" type person

never joined any sort of club related to the sort

so theres alot of "community" type stuff im missing out on lol
Sep 30, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2013
I think there is an anime comunity with all kinds of personalities and facts opinions
Sep 30, 2016 1:21 PM

Mar 2014
Gator said:
Well first of all, what's the definition of community?

Wikipedia said:
A community is commonly considered a social unit (a group of three or more people) who share something in common, such as norms, values, identity, and often a sense of place that is situated in a given geographical area (e.g. a village, town, or neighborhood).

So going by that definition I'd say yes, this is a group of three people or more who share something in common, their passion for anime. And while there's no sense of place, it apparently is not a necessity.

How would you define "place", though? It could be an entire country.
the "American Anime Community" is a lot different than the "Japanese Anime Community".

There are also multiple sub-sects within the anime community that could all be classified as their own communities.
::End of Transmission::

Sep 30, 2016 2:51 PM

Aug 2014
There is no one cohesive anime community. Certain shows are more well known/ regarded over different circles.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 1, 2016 12:28 AM

May 2015
GamerDLM said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

To me though I don't think being passionate about something is the same as being a part of it. It kind of goes back to a couple past threads of "How much anime do you have to watch to be considered a fan?" In which a fair amount of people said any, as long as you watch and enjoy it you're a fan. So it seems strange to me to think that being a fan has minimal requirements but being in the community has a checklist of things to enter.
I can sort of use myself as an example, I didn't participate in the forums at all until like 2 months ago, I almost never research things about the industry unless it's a broad fact that happens to apply to a discussion (excluding things like how much of the source material the anime covered, although that's mostly for gauging sequel opportunity), I don't pay attention to things like staff for an anime, I don't research most of the anime I watch, I never read reviews. So basically I primarily just watch anime for enjoyment but I would still consider myself a part of the community despite not being particularly active in it until more recently. Which would be really strange if I watched say 200+ days worth of content related to something yet somehow I wasn't a part of the community.
So I guess my follow up question is you would probably consider the people in your example fans of the movie theater experience but at what point do they reach a vague bar to be a part of a community?

They become part of the 'movie community' when watching movies becomes a significant hobby. I know a film buff - and he's passionate about it. You can talk to him about it and share knowledge. My other friends aren't interested in talking about films this way. They watch and it's over.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
6 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

65 by Ratris_Decision »»
17 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
20 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.