Forum Settings
Forums

Read too many Romance mangas burned myself out now I feel like shit

New
Sep 28, 2016 10:22 PM

Sep 2016
I always love them at first, and then the slight comparisons between my life and the protagonists start happening. I graduated high school and completely blew it socially. No meaningful relationships, no cute dates or just moments, no roadtrips. Just me, my computer and the occasional friend hanging out. I wish I could just be 5 again sometimes so I could make it right this time, but ya boi blew it and the chance is gone forever.

Anyone else feel similar?

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 28, 2016 10:41 PM

Jul 2014
As if you will find any romance like the ones in manga anyways. The ones in mangas are heavily romanticised.
Sep 28, 2016 10:56 PM

Sep 2016
aqing0601 said:
As if you will find any romance like the ones in manga anyways. The ones in mangas are heavily romanticised.

I guess, but at least something would've been nice. My fault for waiting around for things to fall into my lap though.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 28, 2016 11:04 PM

Sep 2016
kamisama751 said:
This is the reason time reset bullsh*t exists today.

The only redeeming thing I can see in my future is Virtual Reality, but I'll be an old man by the time it reaches that level of depth.

I'd gladly reset my time if it was somehow possible.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 28, 2016 11:32 PM

Aug 2015
Sure. But that's a one-way street into depression.

What you need to find are people you can regularly hang out with (some kind of club/group) or a hobby/job you can get serious about that feels fulfilling to you.
Sep 28, 2016 11:37 PM

Sep 2016
Kami-Koto said:
Sure. But that's a one-way street into depression.

What you need to find are people you can regularly hang out with (some kind of club/group) or a hobby/job you can get serious about that feels fulfilling to you.

The only hobbies I really have right now is spending too much on clothes and editing anime music videos. I was thinking about going to learn MMA or something though, just to give it a try.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 29, 2016 1:07 AM

Mar 2015
Never too late to get moving and change things up a bit! Creeped on your profile and see that you're what, 19?

You've got time, mate.

I wish I could start over too though. Lots of mistakes made, and lots of things I could've handled way waaayyyy better.

But yeah, as someone above me said, dwelling too long on thoughts like those will only serve to make you unhappy.
Sep 29, 2016 1:50 AM

Aug 2010
LonelyHeartsClub said:
I always love them at first, and then the slight comparisons between my life and the protagonists start happening. I graduated high school and completely blew it socially. No meaningful relationships, no cute dates or just moments, no roadtrips. Just me, my computer and the occasional friend hanging out. I wish I could just be 5 again sometimes so I could make it right this time, but ya boi blew it and the chance is gone forever.

I used to feel this way...when I finished high school as well for that matter. But don't worry, it doesn't mean your life is shit. It simply means that you're not taking the same path than most of people. It can only makes you, eventually, grow stronger with more experience.

The thing is in romance anime is that, even if there's a drama side, it shows high school years to the best (like the most popular guy who's suddenly falling for the ugliest girl of the school)... which isn't really the case in real life, keep that in mind. Because yes, you won't be back to high school, but it doesn't mean you missed the same experience than the protagonist :')

Even though I have no regret, I obviously wish I could start over and enjoy more, do this instead of that... But it's the same for everyone.

It just takes time sometimes to get that you need to move on and that isn't a bad thing.

Also if you really think your life is crap, have a look on Ningen Shikkaku (first story of Aoi Bungaku Series). But even without falling into that extreme theme, try to check for another genre. It'll show you that there's waaay more than high school years in life ;) (Barakamon might be a good example).

...And you had a great time too reading manga, right?
Saoji-Sep 29, 2016 2:09 AM
Sep 29, 2016 2:02 AM

Nov 2014
Not one to brag, but are you sure you have read all the great ones? Not all romance stories are highly romantized. Try the manga with three stars first from the following list:-

1. Lovely Complex *** (Comedy,Romance, High School)
2. Kare kano *** (Dark, Comedy, Romance, High School)
3. Itazunakiss ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
4. Bitter Virgin *** (Dark, Romance, HS)
5. Beast Master ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
6. Faster than kiss ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
7. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun *** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
8. Black Bird * (Dark, Comedy, Romance)
9. Dengeki Daisy *** (Dark, Comedy, Romance, HS)
10. L-DK * ( Comedy, Romance, HS)
11. Ore Monogatari! *** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
12. High School Debut ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
13. Mars *** (Dark, Romance, HS) [No, its not about aliens]
14. Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
15. Desire Climax ** (Ecchi, Dark, Romance)
16. Hapi Mari ** (Dark, Comedy, Romance)
17. Kare First Love ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
18. Kimi ni Todoke ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
19. Kanpeki Kareshi Kanojo * (Comedy, Romance, HS)
20. Kore wa Koi no Hanashi *** (Dark, Romance) similar to Usagi drop
21. Last Game ** (Romance, HS)
22. Zettai Heiwa Daisakusen *** (Romance, Comedy) Similar to Maid-sama
23. Usotsuki Lily ** (Comedy, Cross-dress, Romance, HS) Its really good.
24. Sorenara Isso Koi ni Nare * (Comedy, Romance, HS)
25. Nobara no Hanayome ** (Romance, HS)
26. Ayakashi Koi Emaki * (Romance, Comedy)
27. Boku kara Kimi ga Kienai * (Romance, HS)
28. Junjou romantica ** (Yaoi, Romance, HS) The anime has 3 seasons
29. Gokusen ** (Comedy, Romance, Action) Female version of GTO
30. Hana ni Arashi ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
31. Hana no Namae *** (Romance, Dark)
32. Hana to Akuma ** (Comedy, Romance, Dark)
33. Hanagimi to Koisuru Watashi * ( Romance, Comedy, HS)
34. Hibi Chouchou ** (Romance, HS)
35. Horimiya *** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
36. Inochi Mijikashi, Koi seyo Furyou Shounen! ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
37. Kanata Kara *** (Action, Romance, Medieval)
38. kodocha *** (HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO READ MANGA)
39. Kokoro Botan ** (Comedy, Romance, HS)
40. Ookami Shoujo To Kuro Ouji * (Comedy, Romance, HS)

P.S:- I hate Love triangles and your generic godly handsome male lead going after the female protagonist for no reason.
Sep 29, 2016 2:24 AM
Jan 2016
I have the same background but I don't feel bad about it in the slightest. I'm an introvert and being alone is part of my nature, that's when I feel the most comfortable. Do I regret that? Not at all. I had fun. The kind of fun that I like the most. Just because I didn't enjoy my time the same way other people do doesn't mean that I did it wrong. There is no set rule that you have to be romantically active when you're in high school. If you don't have the need to, then don't force yourself. You can find love at any age.
Not being involved romantically with another person doesn't make you worse in any way. It just means that you have different priorities.
Sep 29, 2016 2:40 AM
May 2009
Its bound to happen, we all end up wanting something from the things we watch or read.

Just move onto the next Manga or anime and it will make you want something else.

Heck I wanted to play tennis and wanted to be a pro because of baby steps. Feeling down cause I actually enjoyed tennis, but never got into it when I was young, and now can not even try to go down that path.

But now I am watching Mononokean, and I want to meet a girl like Zenko.

Either way our desires sways from this and that.
If you really want to have a relationship just be more proactive.
Sep 29, 2016 5:50 AM

Feb 2013
aqing0601 said:
tfw no mysterious girlfriend x drool exchange
Sep 29, 2016 7:00 AM

Apr 2015
Romance manga is not how real life works. There is like a 1% chance of finding your true love in high school or having your own harem.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 29, 2016 7:08 AM

Feb 2010
My teenage days were full of falling in love, confessing, being friendzoned or rejected and rinse and repeat. I was highly enthusiastic for romance back then, until I wasn't anymore. I'm not particularly aching to reexperience that. If I wanted to go back to those times it would be for any other reason aside from romance.

This never bothered me when enjoying romance anime tho. They are usually very enjoable to me and don't depress me unless they are depressing, like some parts of Nana for example. So I'm afraid I can't relate.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 29, 2016 7:13 AM

Aug 2016
LonelyHeartsClub said:
I graduated high school and completely blew it socially. No meaningful relationships, no cute dates or just moments, no roadtrips.

Yes.
Me.

#fuckingthirtycharacterscount
Sep 29, 2016 7:17 AM

Jun 2016
just don't think about it too much, it'll only make it worse. Just watch more romance to fill the hole

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Sep 29, 2016 7:20 AM

Feb 2013
lololol u should watch more anime romance then cause they all suck :-DDDD
Sep 29, 2016 7:37 AM

Aug 2014
Dude, you're only 19, you've got a whole life in front of you. Just try to meet some people; use a dating site if you're that desperate for a relationship. And if you're that timid, just hit up people you will never meet again to practice getting in situations. Write down some possible conversation topics and try to get started about those. Eventually you'll meet people you like and that like you.

I don't really care for dating though, so I can't relate.
Sep 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
You can only feel bad for it if you wanna change it...i've had some bad experiences with ''relationships'' in the past,and that made me grow up and realise that this it's a thing that i don't really need in the moment.You can start dating,but somehow you will learn that the things aren't so romanticised as it looks,you know?But don't give up mate...
Sep 29, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2016
Selenium_Thorium said:
just don't think about it too much, it'll only make it worse. Just watch more romance to fill the hole

Probably what I'm gonna do tbh, eventually I'll feel so shitty I have to go out and change it.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 29, 2016 10:51 AM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
aqing0601 said:
tfw no mysterious girlfriend x drool exchange

That's the only thing I ever wanted feelsbadman

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 29, 2016 10:52 AM

Sep 2016
Yales said:
LonelyHeartsClub said:

I used to feel this way...when I finished high school as well for that matter. But don't worry, it doesn't mean your life is shit. It simply means that you're not taking the same path than most of people. It can only makes you, eventually, grow stronger with more experience.

The thing is in romance anime is that, even if there's a drama side, it shows high school years to the best (like the most popular guy who's suddenly falling for the ugliest girl of the school)... which isn't really the case in real life, keep that in mind. Because yes, you won't be back to high school, but it doesn't mean you missed the same experience than the protagonist :')

Even though I have no regret, I obviously wish I could start over and enjoy more, do this instead of that... But it's the same for everyone.

It just takes time sometimes to get that you need to move on and that isn't a bad thing.

Also if you really think your life is crap, have a look on Ningen Shikkaku (first story of Aoi Bungaku Series). But even without falling into that extreme theme, try to check for another genre. It'll show you that there's waaay more than high school years in life ;) (Barakamon might be a good example).

...And you had a great time too reading manga, right?

I did have a great time, I should have indulged in both though but oh well. We'll see how uni life treats me.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 29, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Romance in anime/manga is very different from real life. Just because you already graduated doesn't mean you will not have a chance to fall in love with a girl. Different than what happens in anime/manga, life doesnt end soon you end highschool XD
Sep 29, 2016 3:45 PM
Jul 2018
LonelyHeartsClub said:

Hell yes man. I can relate to that, try not to focus on it too much though otherwise you'll grow bitter about it and things will only get worse.
Sep 29, 2016 4:07 PM

Aug 2015
Pick a new genre bruh and always remember that anime is fiction
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Sep 29, 2016 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
This sounds bad but I feel the same way sometimes cause I'm like "I'm way better than those protagonists why can't someone like me" or like why doesn't someone try to make a move etc. but I don't get that bothered by the feeling because life is pretty satisfying with at least some friends and doing things you enjoy in high school and college. Oh and hmu jk Or am I
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸.✦
Sep 29, 2016 4:31 PM

Sep 2016
LonelyHeartsClub said:

Oh yea.
But seriously, don't be so sad about it. Do what you love, make art, try sports and go to travel. Be happy man. And once you'll meet the one you waitin' for.
Sep 29, 2016 5:24 PM

Sep 2016
Frelsie said:
LonelyHeartsClub said:

Oh yea.
But seriously, don't be so sad about it. Do what you love, make art, try sports and go to travel. Be happy man. And once you'll meet the one you waitin' for.

Hope I find something, or at least get a chance.

ᴜɴʟᴏᴠᴇᴀʙʟᴇ
Sep 29, 2016 5:30 PM

Nov 2015
Have you tried putting yourself out there? Go to a local coffee shop, volunteer for an event, do anything (that you enjoy, ofc) and you're bound to get noticed/notice someone.
thanks @grimace for the jon stamp i love you

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
7 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
9 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
9 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Today, 4:50 AM

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.