Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 28, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2015
(Please read my post before commenting.)

To be fair, I've only watched the Attack on Titan anime. But, I have talked to people who read the manga, and I've done plenty of research about it. And I'm getting some bad vibes from things, but would love to get it clarified.

So... the only openly gay/bi male characters of the manga are the two dudes turning into the Armored and Colossal Titans? Is that true? Because if that's the case... then it comes with really bad implications. Firstly making the only non-straight males into the villains. Secondly have them both be very masculine (in case you didn't know, it's a common thing in modern Japan to associate too masculine-looking men with being secretly gay, hence why male protagonists in Japan nowadays look very effeminate usually).

Some people talk about Levi potentially being gay or bi... but, I believe it when I see it. Now, you may wonder why this matters to me so much? Well, because I'm an effeminate gay dude myself. And I'm sick and tired of having to look for yaois or shonen-ais to get any representation (since while I love action and fighting, I also love good romances... and, action-oriented stuff never allows gay romances, but only straight romances).

But yeah, back to the point. Is Hajime Isayama homophobic? I do not want to think he is, because I really love and enjoy Attack on Titan and can't wait for season 2 of the anime. But, well... I just worry, you know?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2012
KurvosVicky said:
... how about you actually TRY to get my point before commenting? I know gay and bi guys have the same potential to be evil as everyone else. But when those are the ONLY gay/bi guys? That's when I start to question it.
But the FAGS are obviously oppressing poor Valaskjalf. I mean just listen to this:
Valaskjalf said:
how dare he make bad guys that aren't white male Caucasians

He's so triggered he forgot what this thread's title even is. Unless he somehow thinks that being gay makes a white male caucasian suddenly and inexplicably not white or male.
Sep 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Jan 2014
Hajime Isayama is a homophobic!!1!1 omg and my reasons are because only the bad guys are gays!!! Seriously guys, just think about it for a second!!!
Sep 28, 2016 1:18 PM

Sep 2015
Red_Keys said:
KurvosVicky said:
... how about you actually TRY to get my point before commenting? I know gay and bi guys have the same potential to be evil as everyone else. But when those are the ONLY gay/bi guys? That's when I start to question it.
But the FAGS are obviously oppressing poor Valaskjalf. I mean just listen to this:
Valaskjalf said:

He's so triggered he forgot what this thread's title even is. Unless he somehow thinks that being gay makes a white male caucasian suddenly and inexplicably not white or male.

Yeah, I... don't get his logic here. XP
Sep 28, 2016 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
Bowie said:
Hajime Isayama is a homophobic!!1!1 omg and my reasons are because only the bad guys are gays!!! Seriously guys, just think about it for a second!!!

Uhm... I didn't accuse him of being homophobic. I ASKED if others think he is or not. Hence the question mark.
Sep 28, 2016 1:24 PM

Jan 2014
KurvosVicky said:
Bowie said:

Uhm... I didn't accuse him of being homophobic. I ASKED if others think he is or not. Hence the question mark.
When did Reiner and the other dude get officially outed as gays though? Is that coming up for season 2? Hey, at least the gays aren't dying in this series hahahhah
You're implying it pretty strongly and trying to persuade others into it without have much of valid reason other then him making the two main bad guys queer...
Sep 28, 2016 1:30 PM

Sep 2015
Bowie said:
When did Reiner and the other dude get officially outed as gays though? Is that coming up for season 2? Hey, at least the gays aren't dying in this series hahahhah
You're implying it pretty strongly and trying to persuade others into it without have much of valid reason other then him making the two main bad guys queer...

First of all, I never said they ARE officially outed as gays. I even asked: "Is that true?"

Second - even if I DO imply anything, it is to challenge people to prove me wrong. I even said: " I do not want to think he is, because I really love and enjoy Attack on Titan"
It's like you barely bothered to read what I said, and/or cherry-picking and making it look like I said stuff I didn't. I ask a question, and you're freaking out.
Sep 28, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2014
KurvosVicky said:
Bowie said:

First of all, I never said they ARE officially outed as gays. I even asked: "Is that true?"

Second - even if I DO imply anything, it is to challenge people to prove me wrong. I even said: " I do not want to think he is, because I really love and enjoy Attack on Titan"
It's like you barely bothered to read what I said, and/or cherry-picking and making it look like I said stuff I didn't. I ask a question, and you're freaking out.
So, they're not official gays and you just made a thread based on unofficial information? You also lied in your thread when you stated you did a lot of research beforehand on the topic itself...implying a mangaka is homophobic over information that isn't valid...Seems like fine proof to me that the mangaka is homophobic..
Sep 28, 2016 1:42 PM

Sep 2015
Bowie said:
So, they're not official gays and you just made a thread based on unofficial information? You also lied in your thread when you stated you did a lot of research beforehand on the topic itself...implying a mangaka is homophobic over information that isn't valid...Seems like fine proof to me that the mangaka is homophobic..

... I'm not even going to bother with you anymore.
Sep 28, 2016 2:12 PM

Apr 2011
Red_Keys said:
KurvosVicky said:
Valaskjalf said:

Forgot to add "Straight". But yeah, these kind of threads are triggering.
Sep 28, 2016 2:22 PM

Aug 2012
KurvosVicky said:

To be fair, I've only watched the Attack on Titan anime. But, I have talked to people who read the manga,

KurvosVicky said:

So... the only openly gay/bi male characters of the manga are the two dudes turning into the Armored and Colossal Titans? Is that true? Because if that's the case... then it comes with really bad implications.

They were never openly gay and I'm sure they aren't.
Oct 8, 2016 6:44 PM
Jan 2012
Pretty sure the armored and colossal are not gay. Anything more would be a spoiler. And I am pretty sure two women are - didn't he even confirm it? Also, Hange having no gender (Though that was Isayama rather not giving a fuck about what gender people think Hage is than the character being gender fluid, but whatever) helps his no-homophobic case. He even teased some gay ships, very very subtlely.
AOT doesn't have many pairings in general. Just people in love with each other very rarely, much like other shonen. You will not find a pairing in Shonen often, let alone a gay one, sadly.
Oct 8, 2016 6:54 PM

Mar 2012
Maybe you should read the manga instead of basing your thoughts in an adaptation.

There aren't any open gays in SnK, neither are heterosexual relationships (being the closest thing Petra and Levi, and Jean love for Mikasa).

That said, if they are gay (in any case is only Berthold) as the manga has been hinting for a while they aren't the "bad guys".
Also we have a so popular this days "gender fluid" character and a pretty obvious lesbian character, so, what's the point of this post? Just wanting to start some unnecessary SJW battle in this site? No thanks.
Waifus only represent ideals
Oct 8, 2016 11:20 PM

Apr 2015
Doesn't really matter if he hates homos anyway but I don't think he is.
Oct 8, 2016 11:27 PM
Jan 2013
ay-hah oon dray d-pur ssen ti-top lol
gone bai bai
Oct 9, 2016 12:27 AM

Sep 2015
xXcorbanXx said:
Maybe you should read the manga instead of basing your thoughts in an adaptation.

There aren't any open gays in SnK, neither are heterosexual relationships (being the closest thing Petra and Levi, and Jean love for Mikasa).

That said, if they are gay (in any case is only Berthold) as the manga has been hinting for a while they aren't the "bad guys".
Also we have a so popular this days "gender fluid" character and a pretty obvious lesbian character, so, what's the point of this post? Just wanting to start some unnecessary SJW battle in this site? No thanks.

I'm not accusing anything, I'm asking a question.

But a straight guy including lesbians means jack shit to me. Just means he finds women doing each other to be hot.
Oct 9, 2016 12:27 AM

Sep 2015
AntenorA said:
Pretty sure the armored and colossal are not gay. Anything more would be a spoiler. And I am pretty sure two women are - didn't he even confirm it? Also, Hange having no gender (Though that was Isayama rather not giving a fuck about what gender people think Hage is than the character being gender fluid, but whatever) helps his no-homophobic case. He even teased some gay ships, very very subtlely.
AOT doesn't have many pairings in general. Just people in love with each other very rarely, much like other shonen. You will not find a pairing in Shonen often, let alone a gay one, sadly.

So, he's homophobic towards male gays then? Okay, got it. :P
Oct 9, 2016 12:33 AM

Mar 2016
Even if he was homophobic, why would you drop it? Does that make it less interesting?
Oct 9, 2016 1:12 AM

Feb 2015
It's a shounen. No one is gay in a shounen manga. Straight otakus can't handle that
Oct 9, 2016 1:29 AM

Feb 2013
Ymir and christa are lesbians and canon (Isayama himself said it) and both are really important characters in the story. Reiner (armour Titan)is at best bi and Berthorld is in love with annie so yeah

Oct 9, 2016 2:54 AM

Oct 2013
KurvosVicky said:

To be fair, I've only watched the Attack on Titan anime. But, I have talked to people who read the manga, and I've done plenty of research about it. And I'm getting some bad vibes from things, but would love to get it clarified.

So... the only openly gay/bi male characters of the manga are the two dudes turning into the Armored and Colossal Titans? Is that true? Because if that's the case... then it comes with really bad implications. Firstly making the only non-straight males into the villains. Secondly have them both be very masculine (in case you didn't know, it's a common thing in modern Japan to associate too masculine-looking men with being secretly gay, hence why male protagonists in Japan nowadays look very effeminate usually).

Some people talk about Levi potentially being gay or bi... but, I believe it when I see it. Now, you may wonder why this matters to me so much? Well, because I'm an effeminate gay dude myself. And I'm sick and tired of having to look for yaois or shonen-ais to get any representation (since while I love action and fighting, I also love good romances... and, action-oriented stuff never allows gay romances, but only straight romances).

But yeah, back to the point. Is Hajime Isayama homophobic? I do not want to think he is, because I really love and enjoy Attack on Titan and can't wait for season 2 of the anime. But, well... I just worry, you know?

I have no idea how making two guys like each other = to him being homophobic. If you he is homophobic why would he add any gay stuff in the manga in the first place?????

And no, there isn't anything between the two of them. There is just a subtle hint that one of them may be "bi" at best. And that was because of one conversation he had with a character. Nothing in your face or anything, nor does the character himself acts gay in anyway. It is very "subtle" people just over exaggerate everything these days. Even lesbian romance is subtle as well. Romance isn't a main focus in the manga.

I can tell you that Isayama isn't homophobic at all, go read some of his interview and you may understand him more.
keragammingOct 9, 2016 3:04 AM
Oct 9, 2016 2:55 AM

Sep 2012
OP, I don't believe he is. I mean, he's already provoked enough controversy with the whole Dot Pixis thing.
Plus Reiner and Bertholdt were never stated to be gay. Bertholdt has a thing for Annie, and Reiner seems to like Christa. They could be bi, but as far as I'm aware there's no proof for it. I think the whole speculation about this probably came from the fuck-tons of fanworks involving the two of them.

Plus Isayama himself confirmed that Marco and Ymir are both gay. Same with Christa, and it's speculated that Levi isn't hetro either. Not to mention that Hanji is gender-neutral. And it's clear that we're supposed to sympathize with all of them.

So I don't think you need to worry here. Just enjoy the show :)
Oct 9, 2016 3:57 AM

Jul 2012
This is seriously just a "straight" story/manga please don't mix your fanfics in here.
Oct 9, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2012
Tbh i don't give 2 shits about him being homophobic or not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2016 4:56 AM

Jul 2013
tHe-OTAKU- said:
OP, I don't believe he is. I mean, he's already provoked enough controversy with the whole Dot Pixis thing.
Plus Reiner and Bertholdt were never stated to be gay. Bertholdt has a thing for Annie, and Reiner seems to like Christa. They could be bi, but as far as I'm aware there's no proof for it. I think the whole speculation about this probably came from the fuck-tons of fanworks involving the two of them.

Plus Isayama himself confirmed that Marco and Ymir are both gay. Same with Christa, and it's speculated that Levi isn't hetro either. Not to mention that Hanji is gender-neutral. And it's clear that we're supposed to sympathize with all of them.

So I don't think you need to worry here. Just enjoy the show :)

I'm not really sure about Ymir and Christa but Isayama never said anything about Marco being gay.
Oct 9, 2016 7:58 AM

Sep 2015
keragamming said:
I can tell you that Isayama isn't homophobic at all, go read some of his interview and you may understand him more.

He includes straight romances and lesbian romances, but no male gay romance. Sounds homophobic to me.
Oct 9, 2016 9:07 AM

Oct 2007
KurvosVicky said:

I've read the manga and the only gay character there is, is probably Ymir and even she might just be weird and not really gay.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2016 10:36 AM

Oct 2013
KurvosVicky said:
keragamming said:

He includes straight romances and lesbian romances, but no male gay romance. Sounds homophobic to me.

What lesbian romance? There isn't any in the Manga. You haven't even read the manga. I'm starting to begin to think you are a troll.
Oct 9, 2016 11:32 AM

Jul 2013
KurvosVicky said:

I don't think that he's homophobic , Its just that straight characters are more common in shounen genre.
Oct 9, 2016 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
KurvosVicky said:
keragamming said:

facepalm
Homophobia would include not having lesbian relationships too...

I think you're just reading too deep into thjings that aren't the point of the show.
The characters could be straight, gay, or identify as a tap-dancing bisexual panda, and it would change very little in the show.
Oct 9, 2016 1:30 PM

Sep 2011
Telling people to go die and then making false claims, yeah... This thread isn't going anywhere fast.

There's no lesbian romances... It seems you didn't read the manga and are just making a thread for no reason.

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.