Forum Settings
Forums
New
The story is becoming cliche nowadays?
Sep 28, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2016
As the title,do you think so?

As more and more animes have been made,I have discovered that some new animes are trying to use out-dated,cliche storyline.For instance,Qualidea Code used aliens VS humans,these stupid and out-dated ideas as their main plot;Taboo Tattoo use superpower tattoos as their story setting,it feels so old and cliche to me.Above all,it seems the story of the new animes are becoming cliche recently.Do you agree my ideas?

Also,I want to point out that I didn't say cliche animes are trash.Cliche anime could have good plot and character development,I just want to point out my observation that the number of cliché animes are increasing.

Please discuss on the topic only and stop assaulting my anime history or my anime rating are shit or making improper assumptions.These are off-topic arguements and won't bring any contribution on this topic.

Proper Actions will be taken if that happens
TokumiaSep 29, 2016 2:14 AM

Life is empty without anime

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 28, 2016 1:33 AM

Feb 2013
>The story are becoming cliche nowadays?
no
you're just starting to discover how much a shitfest the "Action, Magic, Supernatural :^)" genre is, and why those 2 animus you listed are so down rated

good thing this old meme suddenly became relevant again
Sep 28, 2016 1:34 AM

Jul 2012
I mean when you use sweeping generalizations everything seems cliche from every decade.
So that being said no is my answer.
I mean even out of those two examples Qualidea code would be much better generalized as a slight twist on a standard near apocalyptic battle school instead of aliens vs humans. Taboo Tattoo is the standard action flick it's more about people beating each other to a bloody pulp with superpowers. Not really an accurate attempt at a series that's shooting for high levels of originality or even a worthwhile example in this context.
GamerDLMSep 28, 2016 1:48 AM
Sep 28, 2016 1:48 AM

Mar 2014
Uh... kinda. It's not the story that's getting old, it's the presentation that's getting tedious.

As Digibro once said in one of his analysis videos, the premise does not and should not be a determining factor of how good an anime is. It's all about the EXECUTION.

There are a lot of simple, seemingly old-fashioned movies, books, and games released in recent years that outperform their more elaborate counterparts in a market over-saturated with overly complex plots and characters. Just recently the movie The Magnificent Seven was released and it was acclaimed to be good arguably because it uses and pays omage to a western premise that's just as commonly used since the stone age as recent anime.

My favorite SoL of all time is K-ON, and that too doesn't have much of a "story". It's not the story that matters, it's what they do with it, how they tell it, and I personally believe there's an endless possibility of ways to do that.

But it's honestly not bad, there're still a lot of good anime released just recently and the fact that they feel like getting old is probably because you have more experience watching them. ^^;;
Sep 28, 2016 1:54 AM

Aug 2015
You noticed it now. It's not like every new anime made is somehow absolutely unique and void of cliches.
Sep 28, 2016 1:55 AM

Apr 2013
While that may be, I'm not too bothered about it. Even a cliche story can be very enjoyable if executed well. I'm more into the characters anyway, if they are well done I can enjoy a cliche story, no problem :3
Sep 28, 2016 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
Yup, but not "recently".
People in ancient Greece and other old civilizations like that already have invented nearly all type of stories possibles.

We are recycling stories since 2 or 3 millenniums.
Sep 28, 2016 1:58 AM

Sep 2009
No, it's pretty much always been like that.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 28, 2016 2:00 AM

Feb 2013
lady_freyja said:
Yup, but not "recently".
People in ancient Greece and other old civilizations like that already have invented nearly all type of stories possibles.

We are recycling stories since 2 or 3 millenniums.
luckily, battle harem and cute girls doing cute stuff have saved modern storytelling
Sep 28, 2016 2:04 AM

Jul 2016
But don't you think previous animes have more ideas than nowadays?

Sep 28, 2016 2:07 AM

Mar 2008
Swordarc said:

But what is an idea? can you eat it? If not, what's the point.
Sep 28, 2016 2:09 AM

Dec 2015
Every premise has been used already. I don't know about your examples but could it be that you have a problem with the way they tell it? I don't know but there isn't much creativity in the way how stories are told in anime nowadays.
Sep 28, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2016
Ckan said:
Swordarc said:

Of course new ideas are important,if you are watching the same idea repeatedly,what's the point of watching it again?

Sep 28, 2016 2:10 AM

Feb 2013
Swordarc said:
Ckan said:

Of course new ideas are important,if you watching the same idea repeatedly,what's the point of watching it again?
its never actually literally the same idea though
unless you watch both aniem and manga i guess
Sep 28, 2016 2:13 AM

Mar 2008
Swordarc said:
Ckan said:

Of course new ideas are important,if you watching the same idea repeatedly,what's the point of watching it again?

There are only 26 letters in our alphabet soup, what's the point in eating them if they'll always be the same 26 letters?
Sep 28, 2016 2:24 AM

Mar 2014
Swordarc said:

Not really, but I understand if you feel that way.

Fact is, since the early 2000s anime has gotten very widespread and popular even among international audiences, and every one of them requires more and more production value to keep up with the growth. While a good anime doesn't necessarily require high budget, the industry still succumbs to the safe trend of rehashing past techniques to ensure the same range of income and feels a constant pressure that prevents them from being different.

What I'm trying to say is, as time moves on, more stakes are involved in anime production and people become more afraid to take creative risks with their anime.

I guess it does make sense that anime premises are becoming more streamlined but I personally feel it's not in a degree close to being dangerous or compromising to the industry as a whole. There're still a lot of good ideas out there.
Sep 28, 2016 2:24 AM

Mar 2015
Every book is just a remix of a dictionary which is a remix of 26 letters.

It's all about execution. The premise of the story will tell you how good the anime will be as much as the word "Cheeseburger" on a menu tells you how good it will taste.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Sep 28, 2016 2:35 AM

Apr 2015
Every game of footie is the same idea...kicking a ball about into the net

Not
Sep 28, 2016 2:48 AM

May 2015
Your generalizations are too broad to take them seriously. One factor that made you think story has become cliche RECENTLY might be the fact that you started watching more shows RECENTLY. Most of your list is composed by anime that came out in the last 3 years.
My suggestion would be
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2016 2:52 AM

Feb 2010
Am I the only one thinking that it's much more likely that stories recently started getting clichéd after over 2000 years of unadultered originality and not that OP has just begin to reach a level of experience where they start to realize how nothing is truly original.

The solution is to stop watching post 2010 anime and only watch the amazing, original titles from the 70s and 80s and 90s.

You're welcome.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 28, 2016 2:55 AM

Jan 2016
Considering that there's over 50 years in the history of anime(and not to mention, the many years of history of film or storytelling in general), of course, stories will become cliche.
Sep 28, 2016 3:02 AM

Aug 2010
Pullman said:
Am I the only one thinking that it's much more likely that stories recently started getting clichéd after over 2000 years of unadultered originality and not that OP has just begin to reach a level of experience where they start to realize how nothing is truly original.

The solution is to stop watching post 2010 anime and only watch the amazing, original titles from the 70s and 80s and 90s.

You're welcome.

Sounds pretty elitist eh.

Also, I'd say that older anime are way more cliché than new anime because of the execution. And it's not because new anime are taking, sometimes (often?), plots from older anime that it's necessarily worse than what it was, on the contrary.
Sep 28, 2016 3:03 AM

Oct 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations

It's always been cliche. Nothing is entirely original etc etc.
Sep 28, 2016 3:05 AM

Mar 2008
Pullman said:

You're welcome.
What kind of awful advice is that? Haven't you heard, it's all about the execution, man, because nothing is truly original. And to begin with, we all know old anime suck at looking well animated. In fact, old anime are the definition of stale - they stink because they're the cheap relics of a lesser bygone age. So no, you can't pull the wool over us with your sweet talk.

Why not take off your rose-tinted oldman nostalgia goggle-glasses and get with the program. New is better. Anime is now, and only getting better.
Sep 28, 2016 3:19 AM

Feb 2010
Yales said:
Pullman said:

You're welcome.

Also, I'd say that older anime are way more cliché than new anime because of the execution. And it's not because new anime are taking, sometimes (often?), plots from older anime that it's necessarily worse than what it was, on the contrary.

*insert facepalm gif here*
I'm not even gonna complain about you missing my obvious sarcasm (Am I The Only One?, 2000 years of unadultered originality, really?). Just don't randomly hate on older anime with empty phrases like 'because of the execution'. Explain yourself so I can then tell you how you're wrong based on having seen a whooping 0 (Zero) pre-90s anime to back up your opinion.
Much obliged.

Ckan said:
Pullman said:

You're welcome.
What kind of awful advice is that? Haven't you heard, it's all about the execution, man, because nothing is truly original. And to begin with, we all know old anime suck at looking well animated. In fact, old anime are the definition of stale - they stink because they're the cheap relics of a lesser bygone age. So no, you can't pull the wool over us with your sweet talk.

Why not take off your rose-tinted oldman nostalgia goggle-glasses and get with the program. New is better. Anime is now, and only getting better.

Thank you, dearest Ckan, for giving me the opportunity to post my favorite copypastas:

I said:
The vast majority of biases against older anime do not hold up when you have actual experience with the medium. Ugliness is hardly dependent on age, there are all kinds of artstyle in both new and old anime so just generalizing one as 'better' as the other in terms of artstyle is just silly. There is no reason to believe that the quality of artstyles in general have drastically improved over the last 20 years. There have been masterpiece paintings long before anime even existed. Art doesn't get better or worse, it comes in different shapes at any given time, even if there are certain trends.

Low resolution is a factor for a lot of old anime, but there are also dozens if not hundreds out there that have remastered BD versions that give you all the hand-drawn glory of cel animation with the level of detail a 1080p resolution provides.

Slow pace should be obvious that this is something found in both old and new anime, just like the opposite. Old anime may have more series that are 50 episodes because that was more common back then compared to having lots of 1-cour teasers for the source material with the option for sequels which is the current trend. That can translate to a slower pacing, but it doesn't have to. In any case both trends have their pros and cons, but pacing isn't really one of them.

Bad animation is the biggest myth of them all. If you know your shit you know that TV anime from the very start was very budget oriented so they could be affordable (Thanks, Tezuka) and the budget-saving techniques have only been refined over the years. But at the end of the day most tv anime still spend a lot of their time on stills or quasi-stills with mouthflaps and really good sakuga scenes are rare. Of course there are exceptions that have a higher density of great sakuga scenes (like One Punch Man or Space Dandy) or somehow have the fluidity of a movie despite being a TV series (Nichijou) but there are also old TV series that look really good in their remastered versions. Urusei Yatsura or Ashita no Joe for example.

What has actually improved is mostly the amount of special effects and filters that can make things seem sparkly, exciting and whatnot, but that has little to do with actual animation of key frames since it's just additional layering via computer programs.

And that's only speaking of TV series, a field where, in average, animation has improved slightly over the years (which doesn't mean there aren't old shows that can hold up to today's standards).

The most important thing is be aware that TV anime still have very limited budgets and a decenty budgeted OVA or movie will almost always look better in terms of pure animation quality. That has always been that way, and an anime movie that had amazing animation in the 80s will still be better animated than 99% of all modern TV shows. Great animation movies are basically non-stop sakuga scenes which is something no TV series can afford.

And lastly good animation is not just fluidity and amount of frames per second, it's also the ability to pay attention to details like conveying weight or momentum and other difficult things. Which again is not an ability bound to a certain decade, but rather dependent on the individual director/animator.

So in my experience a lot of people who avoid older anime like the plague are full of misinformed prejudice and don't actually know why they are avoiding them so they make up reasons based on those popular prejudices instead of actually seeing for themselves and trying to figure out the actual reasons they don't like them (if there are any). It's just easy and safe to stick to what you know and that's understandable, but using that as a basis to just make everything old seem worse in all kinds of categories is an individual decision, not a justified, objective reason.
And in general anyone who names an arbitrary year as the unbreakable border is someone I can't take very seriously because the assumption that there is any one particular year where everything changed alone just shows a lack of information and common sense. Even when anime visuals were undergoing a visable change in the early 2000 (and a bit before that), transforming from cel animation to a more cgi-oriented approach, it was an ongoing process that took at least half a decade, during which time there are hit and miss shows every year, some looking okay and some very ugly.

I_also said:
PLEASE stop assuming that we love an old anime because we watched it 10 years ago. WE DON'T.
We love them because we truly enjoy them from today's perspective, because we believe them to hold up to today's standards in all relevant aspects. Because we just think they are good.
I've watched the vast majority of my pre 90s anime in the last 3 years and I love tons of them. Watching new anime is no reason to 'be unable to watch' old anime and saying old shows were only good when they aired is just ignorance.
Sep 28, 2016 3:26 AM

Oct 2013
In the end it comes down to the 7 basic plots: 1.Overcoming the Monster, 2.Rags to Riches, 3.The Quest, 4.Voyage and Return, 5.Rebirth, 6.Comedy and 7.Tragedy.
Sep 28, 2016 3:27 AM

Feb 2013
on another note its no surprize that op has not seen the most avant guarde anime of the year like Sushi Police, Bananya and Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Sep 28, 2016 4:10 AM

Aug 2010
Pullman said:
Yales said:

I'm not even gonna complain about you missing my obvious sarcasm (Am I The Only One?, 2000 years of unadultered originality, really?). Just don't randomly hate on older anime with empty phrases like 'because of the execution'. Explain yourself so I can then tell you how you're wrong based on having seen a whooping 0 (Zero) pre-90s anime to back up your opinion.

I've seen a few pre-90s. And by the execution I actually meant the attitude of some characters that sounds really cliché. Also, old hentai are TOTALLY cliché while new ones are funnier because there's more punch if you know what I mean (but hentai doesn't apply right :') )

But hey, since it was (a bad [didn't notice it right]) sarcasm, why would I bother...
Saoji-Sep 28, 2016 4:16 AM
Sep 28, 2016 4:16 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
holy shit, you really must've JUST gotten into anime lol....
Sep 28, 2016 4:32 AM

Sep 2016
There's a point when story and plot details don't mean as much as the narrative, I would't crap evangelion clones for plot points when they can be perfect junk food.
Sep 28, 2016 4:33 AM

Feb 2010
Yales said:
Pullman said:

I've seen a few pre-90s. And by the execution I actually meant the attitude of some characters that sounds really cliché. Also, old hentai are TOTALLY cliché while new ones are funnier because there's more punch if you know what I mean (but hentai doesn't apply right :') )

But hey, since it was (a bad [didn't notice it right]) sarcasm, why would I bother...

Not according to your list you don't. I can only perceive what's there and that's not a single pre-90s title.
And sure, old hentai suck. If that's your main thing then I guess 'old anime' are worse than new ones. Not that new hentai are very good either. Doujin masterrace.

I daresay the vast majority aside from you would have noticed the sarcasm so don't blame this one on 'bad sarcasm'. Just give people at least a little benefit of the doubt and don't assume every retarded and exaggerated statement is meant seriously. It'll go a long way.
Sep 28, 2016 4:42 AM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
on another note its no surprize that op has not seen the most avant guarde anime of the year like Sushi Police, Bananya and Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Pls tell us more?:0 since you dropped them here
Sep 28, 2016 4:43 AM

Feb 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
yeah lol wwww is only the noobs who say this
i know since i was noob myself once xDD
zxcasdqwe123cat said:
romagia said:

these anime are not out-dated,cliche storyline
they are the avant guarde of anime like serial lain was back in her day
Sep 28, 2016 4:55 AM

Feb 2016
Swordarc said:
As the title,do you think so?

As more and more animes have been made,I have discovered that some new animes are trying to use out-dated,cliche storyline.For instance,Qualidea Code used aliens VS humans,these stupid and out-dated ideas as their main plot;Taboo Tattoo use superpower tattoos as their story setting,it feels so old and cliche to me.Above all,it seems the story of the new animes are becoming cliche recently.Do you agree my ideas?

Its not recently, theyve been cliche for a long time already(i think even the percentage isnt any bigger)

tl;dr
EcchiLordMamster said:

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 28, 2016 5:45 AM

Jul 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
If you have watched my list,youll see I focus on post 2010 animes.
So ya ...I don't watch old animes too much.

Sep 28, 2016 5:48 AM

Jul 2016
Also,I want to state out that the part that I think is cliché is the setting and ideas,but Not the plot development,since the plot can go into different directions.
TokumiaSep 28, 2016 5:53 AM

Sep 28, 2016 5:53 AM

Jun 2015
50 completed, probably 200 tops. Predictable.
Sep 28, 2016 5:54 AM

May 2015
Swordarc said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
You actually focus from 2013 onwards.
http://graph.anime.plus/Swordarc/favorites,anime

Calling anime pre 2010 "old"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2016 5:59 AM

Jul 2016
zal said:
Swordarc said:
You actually focus from 2013 onwards.
http://graph.anime.plus/Swordarc/favorites,anime

Calling anime pre 2010 "old"
huh?I didn't say that pre 2010 animes are old.
Don't get me wrong

Sep 28, 2016 6:09 AM

Sep 2016
romagia said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
zxcasdqwe123cat said:

they are the avant guarde of anime

And then?
/30characterlimitsperpostinthreads
Sep 28, 2016 6:12 AM

Jul 2016
Perhaps our anime history are different,but what I want to point out is that I noticed that the amount of cliché animes have increased recently when comparing the previous years and the extent is becoming more serious.
From copying the setting of rebirth to the setting of aliens VS humans.
That's all my arguements are all about.

Sep 28, 2016 6:14 AM

Feb 2013
zxcasdqwe123cat said:
romagia said:
they are the avant guarde of anime

And then?
/30characterlimitsperpostinthreads
and then what? op obviously hasnt seen these prime example of setting and idea
Sep 28, 2016 6:18 AM

Sep 2016
Swordarc said:
Perhaps our anime history are different,but what I want to point out is that I noticed that the amount of cliché animes have increased recently when comparing the previous years and the extent is becoming more serious.
From copying the setting of rebirth to the setting of aliens VS humans.
That's all my arguements are all about.

Many have pointed out clichè is a regular thing but a lot of animes are commercials to their source since they are adaptations (or remakes, reboots or whatever), hence most seasons release samey animes to compete on who sells the same things better.
Sep 28, 2016 6:30 AM

Oct 2014
Well not really.

The thing is that they don't have added other elements to a show that has a "Cliche" premise to make it have its own Identety and non-cliched.

NGE would just be a cliche mecha if it didn't had the psychology in it.
Sep 28, 2016 6:38 AM

Sep 2016
Bourmegar said:
Well not really.

The thing is that they don't have added other elements to a show that has a "Cliche" premise to make it have its own Identety and non-cliched.

NGE would just be a cliche mecha if it didn't had the psychology in it.

Yes and no because while nge subverts stuff it's really not afraid of using cliche imagery, settings, lines, even otaku stuff (here let's drop a few lines just so you know she might fit into harem roles or that you may butt in her life since she's needy, etc etc). Mostly the psychology, the mind trips, explain things you already guessed from the show so it tends to be self referential. You know asuka has issues but you still have to sit through ep 22, a rei poem, each times shinji calls for mom.
So it's not only a matter of making things a bit more complex, not deeper just complex, but what different thing you can come up with and how it adds to the narrative/chars etc.
A few times cliche is fine too because the characters might be kids and not know about very trite things but this is abused in animes.
FondenteSep 28, 2016 6:49 AM
Sep 28, 2016 7:06 AM
Aug 2015
Stories have always been recycled over and over again, and this is never a bad thing. It's always the execution that counts.

Re:Zero is your only 10/10. ok bye
Sep 28, 2016 7:12 AM
Jan 2014
You have to remember that every season dozens of anime get aired. Just by the sheer amount, most of them will be average or bad with terrible main characters, cliched/generic or have a terrible plot. Some people on here might try to convince you that their favorite anime is amazing but keep in mind that Qualidea Code has reviews on its page of 8, 9 and 10 and Taboo Tattoo has a couple of 7's and an 8.

Example. I just googled 2015 summer anime.
https://static.neregate.com/2015/06/neregate.com-Summer-2015-Anime-Chart-v3.jpg

49 anime and only 4 (Gangsta, Charlotte, Overlord, and Prison School) of them seem above average. Out of those 4 I would only suggest two to people I know.

It would be like saying why do TV shows suck so much but you're watching Big Bang Theory/Two and a Half Men instead of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

TL;DR : Be picky about what you watch.
Sep 28, 2016 7:14 AM

Feb 2015
Users says that a lot... It's not uncommon to think about that if you will compare 20XX to 20XX
Sep 28, 2016 7:18 AM

Feb 2013
allistairj said:
You have to remember that every season dozens of anime get aired. Just by the sheer amount, most of them will be average or bad with terrible main characters, cliched/generic or have a terrible plot. Some people on here might try to convince you that their favorite anime is amazing but keep in mind that Qualidea Code has reviews on its page of 8, 9 and 10 and Taboo Tattoo has a couple of 7's and an 8.

Example. I just googled 2015 summer anime.
https://static.neregate.com/2015/06/neregate.com-Summer-2015-Anime-Chart-v3.jpg

49 anime and only 4 (Gangsta, Charlotte, Overlord, and Prison School) of them seem above average. Out of those 4 I would only suggest two to people I know.

It would be like saying why do TV shows suck so much but you're watching Big Bang Theory/Two and a Half Men instead of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

TL;DR : Be picky about what you watch.
oh fam remember 10 years ago when anime was good
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2005/summer
and tbbt >>>>>>>>>>>>>> edgy fantasy shit
Sep 28, 2016 7:19 AM

Jul 2016
On_the_Lam said:
Stories have always been recycled over and over again, and this is never a bad thing. It's always the execution that counts.

Re:Zero is your only 10/10. ok bye

=_= I got nagi no asukura 10/10 as well ,what are you looking at??? -,-

Next,my rating system is wide-ranged.9/10 or around ,doesn't mean I hate it.

Also,I didn't say it's a bad thing.Cliche anime could have good plot and character development,I just want to point out my observation that the number of cliché animes are increasing.

Please discuss on the topic only and stop assaulting my anime history or my anime rating are shit or making improper assumptions.These are off-topic content and won't bring any contribution on this topic.
TokumiaSep 28, 2016 7:36 AM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

52 by velvetnyan »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 32 minutes ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

20 by Sorachin »»
7 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

37 by animejas »»
13 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

46 by Maou_heika »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.