Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 27, 2016 6:39 PM
Jul 2018
Title says it all, with the abundance of subpar remakes (subjective opinion) and rumors of some in development that have been popping up within the past few years and even recently, do you have a positive initial response when you hear a classic is being remade? Or has it left you feeling a bit cautious and/or pessimistic?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 27, 2016 6:40 PM

Jan 2008
I'm all for it, I might actually bother to watch them if remade. I would have never touched the JoJo series without the remake back in 2012.
Sep 27, 2016 6:45 PM
Aug 2016
It's an unhelpful answer, but I like remakes when they're good, and dislike them when they're bad. ;)
Sep 27, 2016 6:47 PM

Sep 2016
I'm not for remakes and such, they could be good or bad but generally they are exercises on nostalgia in the sense a whole bunch of stuff will matter only to fans and to no1 else. Characters won't get to act out of characters, you don't get to watch different ones in the same situations for different moments, and you don't need to keep the same heroes for whatever dramatic moment in program.
FondenteSep 27, 2016 6:51 PM
Sep 27, 2016 6:48 PM
Oct 2015
There is nothing wrong with remakes, as the idea is to take an oldie ("classics") and improve them to meet today's standards/expectations/quality-level.

At the very least, remakes give awareness to the original, so even if the remake is garbage it will either make you want to watch the old version again or it will hopefully bring more fans into the community.

In other words, I'm all for it. It could allow someone like me to enjoy anime from ten, fifteen, even twenty years ago that I don't know about or just can't get into.
Sep 27, 2016 6:55 PM
Jul 2018
MindForged said:
It's an unhelpful answer, but I like remakes when they're good, and dislike them when they're bad. ;)

That honestly sums up my feelings pretty well so I'd say that was a helpful answer lol.

zxcasdqwe123cat said:
I'm not for remakes and such, they could be good or bad but generally they are exercises on nostalgia in the sense a whole bunch of stuff will matter only to fans and to no1 else. Characters won't get to act out of characters, you don't get to watch different ones in the same situations for different moments, so it's all going to be kind trite.

Disagree, good remakes can really bridge a generational gap and expand a fanbase when adapted respectfully and not merely as a reason to get nostalgia rocks off or milk for cash. An earlier post is a great example of this with Jojo.
Sep 27, 2016 7:29 PM
Aug 2016
Well, a problem I have is when remakes decide to go with CG. CG is so often poorly implemented in anime, that it can take me out of it. So while I can be perfectly satisfied by the '97 adaptation of the earlier Berserk manga volumes (despite some dated animation on occasion), the 2016 Berserk anime adaptation just turns me off in so many ways:

Poor shot composition, odd use of shading despite the environments being bright, some stuff animation of the 3d models, etc.
Sep 27, 2016 7:47 PM

Sep 2016
Yay! I like remade classics as long as they don't suck
Sep 27, 2016 7:50 PM

Mar 2016
Sailor Moon Crystal sucks because of its poor animation, CG, and art style. However, I'd love ufotable to remake the Fate arc of Stay Night. If the original isn't flawed don't mess with it. If you can't outdo the original, don't bother. Remaking Kanon was a wonderful idea.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Sep 27, 2016 8:03 PM

May 2015
Unless it unanimously turns out to be one of the worst things ever, it really only ever means good things tbh. Liden Films or David Productions, it's more exposure.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 27, 2016 8:10 PM

Apr 2016
It already failed so hard with movies and cartoons, please don't even suggest further damage of my childhood nostalgia. You can't possibly think the anime industry in the state it is now can somehow manage to make even semi-decent remake.

I'd say it's an 80% chance of being a low budget, CGI piece of garbage made by someone who's only previous directing role was in colourful school girl short animes.
Sep 27, 2016 9:11 PM

Jun 2016
it depends of the output :D .............................

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 27, 2016 9:16 PM

Jul 2014
I'd like a HnK remake but a lot of the charm of Hnk is the age and art style so I dunno.
Sep 27, 2016 9:24 PM

May 2012
Normally I hate remakes when it comes to things like movies and games since they're usually unnecessary cash grabs, but I'm completely ok with anime remakes. Unlike with movies, most remade anime had a reason to be remade. FMA didn't follow the manga, Evangelion had budget cuts up the ass and the director was not in the best state of mind to do his job well, and Berserk only covered the first few chapters. Anime remakes usually add new things or outright completely change the direction of the story which actually make them worth watching.
NihilfistSep 27, 2016 10:56 PM
Sep 27, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2014
Nihilfist said:
Normally I hate remakes when it comes to things like movies and games since they're usually unnecessary cash grabs, but I'm completely ok with anime remakes. Unlike with movies, most remade anime had a reason to be remade. FMA didn't follow the manga, Evangelion had budget cuts up the ass and the director was not in the best state of mind to do his job well, and Berserk only covered the first few chapters. Anime remakes usually add new things or outright completely change the direction of the story which actually worth watching.

This is how I feel as well pretty much nailed it.
Sep 27, 2016 9:31 PM
Oct 2014
The only thing I ask for in a remake is that it stand on its own.

If I have to be familiar with a show that aired 30 years ago that I have no intention of watching, then I'm not going to be a fan of the remake. Sure, go ahead and throw in references to the original show if you want, but make them subtle enough that I can still enjoy the new one even if I don't get those references.

On the other hand, if you make it too different, you're going to alienate the original fans, which is possibly even worse. With remakes and adaptations you walk a fine line. It has to be similar enough that fans of the original won't feel you betrayed them, yet different enough that a new generation of fans can enjoy it as well.
Sep 27, 2016 9:49 PM

Oct 2014
yes and no,
hxh 2011 because it was unfinished before

hayate season 3 4 suck, the first was perfect, joke and animation wise.

but yeah im up for remakes of series i like, he risk of it sucking don't matter, welcome to the nhk id like a remake of, but it was already super good before, maybe a manga novel closer adaptation like brotherhood fma was closer to the real manga, rather than filler content and fake arcs that weren't in the original work,
Sep 27, 2016 10:11 PM

Nov 2008
lasterrending said:
The only thing I ask for in a remake is that it stand on its own.

If I have to be familiar with a show that aired 30 years ago that I have no intention of watching, then I'm not going to be a fan of the remake. Sure, go ahead and throw in references to the original show if you want, but make them subtle enough that I can still enjoy the new one even if I don't get those references.

On the other hand, if you make it too different, you're going to alienate the original fans, which is possibly even worse. With remakes and adaptations you walk a fine line. It has to be similar enough that fans of the original won't feel you betrayed them, yet different enough that a new generation of fans can enjoy it as well.
I don't think a remake has any obligation to be faithful to the original. Better that it does its own thing so as not to be redundant.
Sanzuwu said:
You can't possibly think the anime industry in the state it is now can somehow manage to make even semi-decent remake.

I'd say it's an 80% chance of being a low budget, CGI piece of garbage made by someone who's only previous directing role was in colourful school girl short animes.
Pretty much.

Sep 28, 2016 12:10 AM

Jan 2016
Well, let's wait for LotGH(2017) to finish, and II'll come back to you.
Sep 28, 2016 12:15 AM

Aug 2015
Well, I often don't like the remakes, but there's nothing wrong with the idea itself.
Sep 28, 2016 12:45 AM

Feb 2013
Layfonkun said:
Title says it all, with the abundance of subpar remakes (subjective opinion)
what the actual fuck? where do you see abundance?

Layfonkun said:
MindForged said:

That honestly sums up my feelings pretty well so I'd say that was a helpful answer lol.
:V variations of "i like good anime i dislike bad anime" are like the least descriptive tier of answers
not helpful at all i say..
Sep 28, 2016 12:46 AM

Jun 2011
In the ninties there was a bunch of remakes but there was practically no ability for things to be upscaled or to go back in the same way. I sometimes dream of certain ones being redone... mostly because the were originally movies or OVAs.

My biggest dream of all is true to manga design full scale possibly like Digimon tri so they would have the budget- AKIRA in full... the manga version in anime form... complete. I just really want to see that as a real anime and not just in a manga.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 28, 2016 2:48 AM

Feb 2010
such abundance much saturation

I remember like 2 remakes in the last couple years. Ushio to Tora & Arslan Senki and both were pretty good in my opinion.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 28, 2016 2:52 AM

Aug 2010
It would be great!

It's fun to watch old things you liked in a new look. It can also be good to discover new (old) stuff...if you know what I mean.
Sep 28, 2016 2:54 AM

Aug 2015
I wouldn't mind a remake of Rurouni Kenshin, as long as it doesn't turn out to be something like Berserk 2016 :>
Sep 28, 2016 3:07 AM

Sep 2009
Eh, only if the original animation isn't good. Most anime pre-90s could probably benefit from a remake.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 28, 2016 3:28 AM

May 2010
Not sure... First season of new Sailor Moon was garbage, mostly because of terrible graphics, but when they adjusted desings and artstyle to current moe standards, it was watachable and even quite fun. I didn't hate new Slayers either.

I can't imagine remake of something like Onii-sama e... though.
Sep 28, 2016 3:31 AM
Mar 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Eh, only if the original animation isn't good. Most anime pre-90s could probably benefit from a remake.

i call bull shit you cannot take thing out pf the tiiem its set

akira for example should ne be reamde since it was meant as commnmety on raising teenage deliucay in Japan as the time i was written as was Kiseiju one of the main reason i hated the changes made in Kiseiju Anime taking it out of its time makes it loose the reason i was written
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 28, 2016 3:35 AM

Sep 2016
yay only for the ones i like
the shit one like evangelion should just go to garbage bin
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 28, 2016 3:35 AM

Jan 2016
If they are good like Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 or Shin Mazinger i'm ok with remakes. This season we have Tiger Mask, sadly it's done by fucking Toei.
Sep 28, 2016 3:41 AM

Feb 2013
Johnnyd3rp said:
If they are good like Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 or Shin Mazinger i'm ok with remakes. This season we have Tiger Mask, sadly it's done by fucking Toei.
well..........so was the original
Sep 28, 2016 3:46 AM

Jan 2016
romagia said:
Johnnyd3rp said:
well..........so was the original

Well i know, a good amount of my childhood anime were made by them. It's just that lately their works are pretty bad.
Sep 28, 2016 3:53 AM
Mar 2011
Johnnyd3rp said:

TV asashi own tiger mask who else would do it your seen afaied that an might havea good mainstream run
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 28, 2016 4:02 AM

Dec 2012
I'm all for it but they should remake ones that were mishandled by bad studios tbh. There are great ones, mostly VNs that were butchered. :/
Sep 28, 2016 4:11 AM

Jun 2015
Star_Slayer said:
I'd like a HnK remake but a lot of the charm of Hnk is the age and art style so I dunno.

There is already a pentalogy remake of HnK
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1773/Hokuto_no_Ken__Raoh_Gaiden_Junai-hen
Sep 28, 2016 4:24 AM

Sep 2009
DateYutaka said:
MortalMelancholy said:

akira for example should ne be reamde since it was meant as commnmety on raising teenage deliucay in Japan as the time i was written as was Kiseiju one of the main reason i hated the changes made in Kiseiju Anime taking it out of its time makes it loose the reason i was written

You're drunk, go back to sleep lmao.
Sep 28, 2016 4:26 AM
Apr 2013
I agree, we need a full remake of the Bible Black franchise.
Sep 28, 2016 4:31 AM

Nov 2012
the first season of the sailor moon remake was trash so... we don't really need them
Sep 28, 2016 4:33 AM
Mar 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
DateYutaka said:

im not im stating facts that people cannot take

Sep 28, 2016 4:38 AM

Sep 2009
DateYutaka said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You mean, you're too drunk to type, so people cannot understand you.
Sep 28, 2016 4:46 AM

Feb 2016
bottle said:
Dragon Ball is good. The new super series is funny provided that you got the humor and watch with other DB fans.

One Piece will likely be good I guess as the original anime is already the worst to begin with, they got nothing to compare.

Was there any announcement regarding One Piece?
Even remaking only the after-timeskip part would be amazing.

I usually have a positive initial thought since if its smth old it would usually be popular and that means it has to have some sort of quality.
MortalMelancholy said:
DateYutaka said:

You mean, you're too drunk to type, so people cannot understand you.

Relax guys, its his style :) Its kind of a trademark(but I still always wonder how he managed to post 22k)
SpaghettiSpikeSep 28, 2016 4:50 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 28, 2016 4:57 AM
Dec 2013
If the original was an incomplete and/or unfaithful adaptation, yay!

If the original was a complete and faithful adaptation (for example, Yu Yu Hakusho), nay!

If the original was an incomplete, but faithful adaptation, it should just get a sequel tbh.
wildhoodSep 28, 2016 5:01 AM
Sep 28, 2016 5:35 AM

Jun 2013
If it's something like Hunter X Hunter (2011), Ushio To Tora, Parasyte The Maxim etc... - Yay

If it's something with crappy CGI that makes you cringe like Berserk (2016) etc... - Nay
Sep 28, 2016 6:11 AM

Apr 2015
The Evangelion rebuilds have been really good so far.

Keroro was essentially a remake of Keroro Gunsou, and it was bad. No one should consider watching Keroro. Everyone should consider watching Keroro Gunsou.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 28, 2016 6:17 AM

Oct 2015
It really depends on the shows. Look at Beserk(2016) and HunterxHunter(2011) totally differrent outcomes right ?

P.S. but some shows just shouldn't ever have a remake. For example Gurren Lagann and Dragonball Z. It would just ruin the show.

P.S.2 I would like to see good remake of Elfen lied though.
Sep 28, 2016 6:25 AM

Sep 2014
Why remake the classics, watch the classics and remake the stuff that had potential and wasted it. Or you know you could continue the series that were dropped before they had a chance to become classics too, gotta be some of them with source material...there seems to be a lot of highly acclaimed series getting sequels recently though so maybe this is already a thing

Sep 28, 2016 10:21 AM

Apr 2015
After getting bit in the ass with Sailor Moon Crystal, I'm quite hesitant to be all behind anime remakes.

Edit: Would the EVA rebuilds be considered a remake or a reimaging? Because it fails at both.
InsaneLeader13Sep 28, 2016 10:29 AM
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 28, 2016 2:31 PM

Jun 2014
I don't know. A big part of me would like to see some of my favorites remade for today, but the chances of them messing it up is so high.

There was recently a poll in Japan asking people what Anime they would like to see remade, and "Galaxy Express 999" was at the top of the poll. While I would love to see GE999 remade, if it looks like Yamato 2199, forget it, because that looks downright awful.

Sep 28, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
80% of remakes are/were good, so why not? I'm all for the 80's,90's getting remakes, having great stories with great animation will be awesome.
Sep 28, 2016 2:46 PM

Aug 2014
Depends on how and what's getting remade. From that recent poll, if GE999's remake looks like Yamato 2199, I'd watch it for gratuitous shots of Maetel's ass.
Sieg Zeon!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

9 by BigBoyAdvance »»
48 seconds ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 1 hour ago

9 by Zefyris »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

35 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
8 minutes ago

» Anticipated Spring 2024 anime

ani2016 - Mar 13

16 by Pengawas »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.