Forum Settings
Forums

Pepe the Frog has been listed in the ADL hate symbol database

New
Sep 27, 2016 5:08 PM

Feb 2016
http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/pepe-the-frog.html?referrer=http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/09/27/adl-adds-pepe-the-frog-meme-to-hate-symbol-database/?referrer=http://www.adl.org/combating-hate/hate-on-display/c/pepe-the-frog.html

Opinions on this ladies and gentlemen?

I think its quite ridiclous that they are trying to attack the Alt Right like this. I find it weak and pointless.

I very much dislike 4chan pol and its resident Nazis but Pepe is Pepe just because 4chan uses Pepe a lot does not change what Pepe is.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 27, 2016 5:19 PM

Feb 2014
Encompasses my thoughts:

Pepe is simply used for another bad campaign to attack Donald Trump Feelsbadman.
Sep 27, 2016 5:22 PM

Nov 2008
What a dumb attack.

Sep 27, 2016 5:24 PM
Sep 27, 2016 5:28 PM

Aug 2013

I said it before a meme is a blank slate anyone can use for any reason. It has no inherent value. Its a green frog that anyone can use, if some racists use it it does not make it a symbol of hate speech because the same can be said for the people using it for other purposes that its NOT a racist symbol.

Anyone who thinks a picture of a green frog is inherently hate speech is an idiot.
Sep 27, 2016 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Oh god...this is ridiculous.
Sep 27, 2016 5:35 PM
Aug 2016
This seems stupid, but it doesn't matter if something is inherently racist or not. In fact, no symbol or image is inherently racist. Swastikas are generally racist due to obvious historical reason, for example.
Sep 27, 2016 5:39 PM
Mar 2011
MindForged said:
This seems stupid, but it doesn't matter if something is inherently racist or not. In fact, no symbol or image is inherently racist. Swastikas are generally racist due to obvious historical reason, for example.

that bull shot an old holy symbol the fact the manji hs became a symbol of evil shows why the cultural apporeaion is bad
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 27, 2016 5:47 PM

Jun 2011
Poor Pepe. He doesn't deserve to be treated like this. #freepepe
Sep 27, 2016 5:54 PM
Aug 2016
DateYutaka said:

that bull shot an old holy symbol the fact the manji hs became a symbol of evil shows why the cultural apporeaion is bad

...I have no idea what you're trying to communicate. :)
Sep 27, 2016 5:56 PM

Jun 2012
Sooner or later you know the government is going to have a meme hit list
Sep 27, 2016 5:59 PM
Mar 2011
MindForged said:
DateYutaka said:

the manji sould nit be a syobal of hate but alot of westerners see a manji and think is a Swastika witch it is not the Swastika is and intoered manji

also clling the manji racist like alot of people do will not call the cross the start of david or any of religous sysnbl racist
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 27, 2016 6:06 PM
Aug 2016
DateYutaka said:

the manji sould nit be a syobal of hate but alot of westerners see a manji and think is a Swastika witch it is not the Swastika is and intoered manji

also clling the manji racist like alot of people do will not call the cross the start of david or any of religous sysnbl racist

Make Spelling Great Again 2016™
Sep 27, 2016 6:14 PM

Sep 2010
MindForged said:
DateYutaka said:

he's japanese and he has little trouble to write in english but what he said was

That's bullshit. An old holy symbol The fact the manji (asian religious symbol, similar to the swastika) has become a symbol of evil shows why cultural appropriation is bad

the second response is the following

the manji should not be a symbol of hate, but a lot westerner see a manji and think of the swastika, but they are not the same.

Also calling the manji racist like most people do, is the same as calling the star of david (jewish religious symbol) or any other religious symbol racist

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Sep 27, 2016 6:16 PM

Dec 2012
You can take away Pepe, but don't you dare slander our beloved Harambe.
Sep 27, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:

I think I'll draw Harambe on a poster with pedophiles, then tag it with Dicks out for Harambe, see where the media takes it.
Sep 27, 2016 6:18 PM
Aug 2016
@Xykko Ah, thanks for that. I guess my response would be that he misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that the Swastika is inherently racist. Quite the opposite. I was saying it's usually considered racist (in the West anyway) for obvious historical reasons. If history were different (e.g. no Holocaust & no Nazi Germany), it wouldn't likely be considered racist.
Sep 27, 2016 6:20 PM

Dec 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I think I'll draw Harambe on a poster with pedophiles, then tag it with Dicks out for Harambe, see where the media takes it.
Even putting #DicksOut with a little Harambe under a loli pic is enough to be sent to the electric chair these days.
Sep 27, 2016 6:21 PM

Jul 2013
Pepe is good. He did nothing wrong. Fuck you all haters.
Sep 27, 2016 6:58 PM

Aug 2013
BobbyFischerG said:
Sooner or later you know the government is going to have a meme hit list

*police takes a man aside*

"Can we see your identity card pleas"

*man nervously reaches for 'im not an evil racist' card*

*slowly a tattoo comes into view on his arm*

"Whats that?" *police grabs arm*

"We got a memer!!" *whips out nite sticks beats the dude to the ground*

"The memes will rise again!" *he yells as hes hauled off for re-education*
Sep 27, 2016 7:02 PM

Jun 2012
@Spooks ........................................................

Sep 27, 2016 7:21 PM
Jul 2018
THE FIRE RISES.

Sep 27, 2016 7:46 PM

Nov 2013
This pepe thing has really gone further than I expected. Normalfags.

I can see you

Sep 27, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 2016
Dylaan_Omer said:
Opinions on this ladies and gentlemen?

I think its quite ridiclous that they are trying to attack the Alt Right like this. I find it weak and pointless.

I very much dislike 4chan pol and its resident Nazis but Pepe is Pepe just because 4chan uses Pepe a lot does not change what Pepe is.

Same thoughts here, and Pepe technically isn't even a representation of /pol/ but rather /r9k/. Pepe is supposed to be a representation of NEET basement dwellers, if they want a representation of neo-nazis they should have went with Moonman instead.

(I'm not defending /pol/ or Moonman, just making a point)
Sep 27, 2016 8:27 PM

Nov 2009
Dylaan_Omer said:

I agree! I should be able to wear a Swastika without being given shit, just cause the Nazis used it I'm now a hater if I rock a swastika!
Sep 27, 2016 8:30 PM
Apr 2013
I support this; it's very obvious that people who support Pepe do not wish for america to become multicultural and some people will resent that, they're also very anti Israel.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Sep 27, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2009
Aureolus said:
I support this; it's very obvious that people who support Pepe do not wish for america to become multicultural and some people will resent that, they're also very anti Israel.
Israel is anti-Israel.
Sep 27, 2016 8:35 PM

Apr 2016
The liberals are taking over. And it all started with giving women the right to vote.
Sep 27, 2016 8:36 PM
Apr 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Aureolus said:
Israel is anti-Israel.

How can you be so anti-Semitic; have you forgotten about the 7 million.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Sep 27, 2016 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
Aureolus said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
Israel is anti-Israel.

How can you be so anti-Semitic; have you forgotten about the 7 million.

IT WAS SEVEN TRILLION U ANTI-SEMITE, MY PARENTS WERE IN AUSCHWITZ AND THERE ARE STILL HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS ALIVE, HOW DARE YOU SULLY THEIR MEMORY.

The later part of that is parodying one of Sarah Silverman's Deranged Sister's Twitter Posts in which she talked about if Trump got elected he would start putting Jews in ovens
removed-userSep 27, 2016 8:47 PM
Sep 27, 2016 11:34 PM

Feb 2016
Pirating_Ninja said:
Dylaan_Omer said:

I agree! I should be able to wear a Swastika without being given shit, just cause the Nazis used it I'm now a hater if I rock a swastika!

The Nazis actually killed millions of people with that logo

Pepe is used by Internet warriors to make shitty memes
Sep 28, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/us/pepe-the-frog-hate-symbol-trnd/index.html

A decade later Pepe had solidified his place among "normies" in mainstream internet circles

normies

Dylaan_Omer said:

Pepe is used by Internet warriors to make shitty memes

Anyone that doesn't want the first female presidential nominee to become president is worse than Hitler.
removed-userSep 28, 2016 12:05 PM
Sep 28, 2016 12:35 PM

Jun 2014
A hate group labelling a frog a hate symbol. Now I've seen everything.

Sep 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2012
Neane93 said:

IT WAS SEVEN TRILLION U ANTI-SEMITE, MY PARENTS WERE IN AUSCHWITZ AND THERE ARE STILL HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS ALIVE, HOW DARE YOU SULLY THEIR MEMORY.

IT WAS 7 SEPTILLION YOU INSENSITIVE HOMOPHOBIC RACIST BASTARD! MY HALF JEWISH HERITAGE DEMANDS THAT I CALL YOU OUT ON IT!!
Sep 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Sep 2016
I'm not a big fan of the alt right or politics in general, but listing a meme like this as a hate symbol is pointless. I find chan culture stupid anyway (not saying I never was into the whole 4chan thing back in the day as a bored 16 year old) but saying pepe is some sort of hatespeech thing is just stupid. Stupidity seems to be a running theme over the last few years.
Talk shit to me and so help me fucking god, I'll come over there and do absolutely nothing.
Sep 28, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2014
Yes. Soon all memes will be listed as hateful, and there will be peace in the land.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 28, 2016 7:14 PM

Mar 2015
when normies discovered a meme... nothing new, move on...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 28, 2016 8:07 PM

Apr 2016
I don't know how to feel about this.

On the one hand, the whole concept of "hate speech" is a fracking joke to begin with. There are lots of things that cause great harm and injury to people. Words and symbols are not among them. Even if this frog thing really was "hateful" in some way, who cares? How many people's lives are they going to improve by adding an internet meme to a list of "bad" things?

Dylaan_Omer said:

No. The Nazis killed people with bullets, bombs, and poison gas. To the best of my knowledge, the only time a swastika has ever killed anyone was in Sin City.

RedRoseFring said:
Yes. Soon all memes will be listed as hateful, and there will be peace in the land.

Soon all neural pathway connections will be listed as hateful, and all humans will be executed for hate crimes, and there will be peace in the land.

On the other hand...

Memes are stupid. This one is especially stupid. Screw memes.
Sep 28, 2016 10:51 PM

Jan 2015
soitwillstopppldopepe??lol

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 29, 2016 12:39 AM

Feb 2016
zetaAenimus said:
I don't know how to feel about this.

On the one hand, the whole concept of "hate speech" is a fracking joke to begin with. There are lots of things that cause great harm and injury to people. Words and symbols are not among them. Even if this frog thing really was "hateful" in some way, who cares? How many people's lives are they going to improve by adding an internet meme to a list of "bad" things?

Dylaan_Omer said:

No. The Nazis killed people with bullets, bombs, and poison gas. To the best of my knowledge, the only time a swastika has ever killed anyone was in Sin City.

RedRoseFring said:

Soon all neural pathway connections will be listed as hateful, and all humans will be executed for hate crimes, and there will be peace in the land.

On the other hand...

Memes are stupid. This one is especially stupid. Screw memes.

AHHHH YOU GOT MEEEEEE ME FAM

The Nazis killed while wearing that logo
Sep 29, 2016 10:37 PM

May 2015
Well, if you're wearing a svastika you're fine. But if people who wear nazi-esque swatsika's aren't Hindu, they usually wear them for one reason. Usually that 1. their neo nazis or 2. their trying to be edgy.

Not wearing it is honestly just treated as common sense in the west, generally speaking. It's like wearing a ISIL logo on your shirt. But of course, there's exceptions, and the symbols once stood for great things. So I see the argument there. It's just clothing if you aren't screaming at jews and starving hungarians.

This on the other hand is a internet meme *sometimes* used by edgy 4chan users. It's dumb. Like all internet memes, it's meaning is altered and it's used for a variety a different things. Calling it a hate symbol seems pretty stupid, turns out 60 year old lady still knows nothing about internet joke-picture culture.

edit: 68, to be specific.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.