Forum Settings
Forums

Are anime politics, corruption and murder blandly executed?

New
Sep 27, 2016 11:27 AM
Aug 2015
The question above.

I have yet to watch an anime that takes its politics as seriously as western series. GitS 2nd gig is a good example of decent execution of politics, although I did find it quite jarring at times, due to spending too the rather lengthy conversations. Don't bother mentioning Code Geass.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 27, 2016 11:37 AM

May 2015
Complaining about lengthy conversations in politics? That's kinda contradictory.

Just wait for Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (2017) to make politics in anime great again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2016 11:49 AM

Sep 2016
Kingdom is quite serious
Magi also has politics but pretty shit
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 27, 2016 11:52 AM
Aug 2015
zal said:
Complaining about lengthy conversations in politics? That's kinda contradictory.

Just wait for Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (2017) to make politics in anime great again.

Lengthy and uninteresting conversations*
Sep 27, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2013
but code geass is the most not blandly executed political anime ever

why not give examples of bad execution? why is there murder in the title? what does it have to do with politics and corruption?
Sep 27, 2016 11:56 AM

Sep 2009
No, politics, corruption, and murder are simply bland.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 27, 2016 11:57 AM

Feb 2010
Just because nothing in anime reaches the immeasurable greatness that is The Wire doesn't mean it's generally bland and badly executed.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 27, 2016 11:58 AM

May 2015
No, you're just watching bad anime.

Stop watching bad anime.

Only watch Evangelion on repeat.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Sep 27, 2016 12:04 PM

May 2015
On_the_Lam said:
zal said:

That's the same I felt for a manga will air soon more than Code Geass (which had very little of actual politics) but I am not going to spoil it here.
Maybe you should try reading the manga Akumetsu even though it is still not western style politics but full of murders and stories about political corruptions.
The manga team medical dragon has interesting hospital politics in it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2016 1:23 PM
Aug 2015
zal said:
On_the_Lam said:

That's the same I felt for a manga will air soon more than Code Geass (which had very little of actual politics) but I am not going to spoil it here.
Maybe you should try reading the manga Akumetsu even though it is still not western style politics but full of murders and stories about political corruptions.

Code Geass, especially R2, is completely built on politics, and its main theme is terrorism.

Since you're only recommending manga, I assume you also believe anime doesn't do a good job with politics?
Sep 27, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2015
On_the_Lam said:
zal said:

Code Geass, especially R2, is completely built on politics, and its main theme is terrorism.

Since you're only recommending manga, I assume you also believe anime doesn't do a good job with politics?
I believe most anime fans (especially younger ones) do not care nor are interested in watching animated politics because it's boring. And if you like logh (one of the few that tries to do politics seriously) then you are an elitist.
Code geass worked for most people because it is not really about politics but more about "fight the power" in an exaggerated and theatrical way. Plus the revenge thing that is always appreciated. I would say politics were way too superficial to call the show built on it.
zalSep 27, 2016 1:41 PM
Sep 27, 2016 2:28 PM

Jul 2016
I feel Shinsekai Yori did a pretty good job.
Sep 27, 2016 2:31 PM

Jan 2014
That's just anime for you though, blandly executed ideas.
Sep 27, 2016 2:33 PM

Aug 2014
On The Lam is always looking for something to mention Code GaYASS and how he hate it lol just lol. (Code Gayass was not deep in political department so yes you are right, not to say that it was very bad, that show had some themes about it) but GayASS was more than just politics, so its up to the viewer to how he interpret the show and base his/her criticism of it.

On_the_Lam said:
zal said:

I'm not 100% sure of this, but i dont think the main theme was about terrorism, i guess you've missed it.

Anyway I guess i agree with you my fellow hater, Ghost in the Shell 2nd GIG is one of the best anime about politics.

I'm looking forward for LOTGH.

The thing is not only Anime, but most entertainment mediums tend to execute politics blandly, maybe because politics sucks anyway? I dont know.
Dr-EyesSep 27, 2016 2:44 PM
Sep 27, 2016 2:41 PM
Aug 2015
Bowie said:
That's just anime for you though, blandly executed ideas.

A very very sad reality.

Klassical said:
On The Lam is always looking for something to mention Code GaYASS and how he hate it lol just lol. (Code Gayass was not deep in political department so yes you are right, not to say that it was very bad, that show had some themes about it) but GayASS was more than just politics, so its up to the viewer to how he interpret the show and base his/her criticism of it.

Anyway I guess i agree with you my fellow hater, Ghost in the Shell 2nd GIG is one of the best anime about politics.

I'm looking forward for LOTGH.

The thing is not only Anime, but most entertainment mediums tend to execute politics blandly, maybe because politics sucks anyway? I dont know.

I don't hate Code GEASS, but I do think it's incredibly overrated. I used it just as an example due to its popularity, so this has nothing to do with my opinion of it.

As I said, as good as 2nd gig is, its politics are quite jarring at times and the lengthy conversations could have been toned down a bit.

Klassical said:

No, it's mostly because there are a lot of people like yourself and studios are trying to make it easy for you to understand things, which means the people who don't completely lack braincells have to suffer from badly executed entertainment.
archaaiSep 27, 2016 2:49 PM
Sep 27, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly think that politics are hard to execute unless they are based in history take game of thrones for example a lot of it is heavily inspired by history and that's why imo its politics are interesting

As for anime, I didn't see any realistic politics tho I like somewhat the execution of politics in log horizon

But I guess it all goes down to how much you are invested in politics and how mich you care about politics
Sep 27, 2016 2:48 PM

Mar 2008
Not to make this any more of a vs. thread, but by what stick are we measuring, OP? By what standard?
Sep 27, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
...Seriously? I find politics handled in anime are better and more interesting then what the West can produce. The West(specifically the USA) treats politics as a joke most of the time. I mean have you seen who's running for President?
Sep 27, 2016 2:56 PM

Aug 2014
On_the_Lam said:

Klassical said:

No, it's mostly because there are a lot of people like yourself and studios are trying to make it easy for you to understand things, which means the people who don't completely lack braincells have to suffer from badly executed entertainment.

Then what a waste for humanity that people as smart as you tend to waste their time and their braincells energy here on MAL hating on things and complaining all the time about others instead of doing something productive with their lives.

Tell me of your next project and i will support and donate for it, you go buddy!.
Sep 27, 2016 2:58 PM
Aug 2015
Klassical said:
On_the_Lam said:

Then what a waste for humanity that people as smart as you tend to waste their time and their braincells energy here on MAL hating on things and complaining all the time about others instead of doing something productive with their lives.

Tell me of your next project and i will support and donate for it, you go buddy!.

I don't know. I'm not the one who ridicules his favorite series by calling it "Gay ass".
Sep 27, 2016 3:01 PM

Aug 2014
On_the_Lam said:
Klassical said:

I don't know. I'm not the one who ridicules his favorite series by calling it "Gay ass".

But I'm a self hating ignorant so it doesn't matter anyway.
Maybe when i reach your superior IQ then i will get it.
Sep 27, 2016 3:07 PM
Aug 2015
Major123 said:
...Seriously? I find politics handled in anime are better and more interesting then what the West can produce. The West(specifically the USA) treats politics as a joke most of the time. I mean have you seen who's running for President?

Don't compare real life politics to fictional ones. Besides, America isn't the only country in the West. Western fiction (on TV) is done better in almost every aspect, because audiences demand more quality, whereas in Japan people still watch One Piece.

Klassical said:

Ok.
Sep 27, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
On_the_Lam said:
Major123 said:

Don't compare real life politics to fictional ones. Besides, America isn't the only country in the West. Western fiction (on TV) is done better in almost every aspect, because audiences demand more quality, whereas in Japan people still watch One Piece.

Klassical said:

Ok.
"Audiences demand more quality", how many reality shows do we have now? How many of them are actually good? None, we have always been about quantity not sure what made you think were not. You say One Piece but people actually want that so your using a bad example.
Sep 27, 2016 3:11 PM

Sep 2012
Lucky I have this card.

I summmmonnnnnn

Hetalia Axis Powers.
Sep 27, 2016 3:22 PM
Aug 2015
Major123 said:
On_the_Lam said:

Ok.
"Audiences demand more quality", how many reality shows do we have now? How many of them are actually good? None, we have always been about quantity not sure what made you think were not. You say One Piece but people actually want that so your using a bad example.

F I C T I O N A L. S E R I E S.

I used One Piece because it's been on-going for fucking series with no end in sight, and people don't care and will still watch it even if it isn't going anywhere at this point.
Sep 27, 2016 3:28 PM

May 2015
On_the_Lam said:
Major123 said:

F I C T I O N A L. S E R I E S.

I used One Piece because it's been on-going for fucking series with no end in sight, and people don't care and will still watch it even if it isn't going anywhere at this point.
Don't worry it recently passed half of the story so the end is indeed in sight. The issue I have is not that it is going nowhere (which has always been the way one piece was) but that it is going very slowly there, plus the only 3 chapters per month.
Sep 27, 2016 3:48 PM

Apr 2014
depends on the show you're watching, some shows do it great, others do it fucking awful.
Sep 27, 2016 3:53 PM

May 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
depends on the show you're watching, some shows do it great, others do it fucking awful.
Which shows do it great? I might want to check them out.
Sep 27, 2016 4:05 PM

Apr 2014
zal said:
Milk_is_Special said:
Which shows do it great? I might want to check them out.
I haven't really watched that many though but 2 good ones are Akatsuki no Yona, although not focusing on it, has a pretty good execution of betrayal and corruption.
Log Horizon is a show that deals more with economics and building a new world instead of politics, but it does get a few small bits of political scenes.
Sep 27, 2016 6:11 PM

Dec 2012
zal said:

Ohh we're gonna build that empire. And the alliance is going to pay for it.

@ Topic - It'll probably never be House of Cards, but at the very least I'm glad that anime isn't politicized. Hollywood is essentially one giant echo chamber for a certain thought group which leads to certain agendas getting shoved into the movies/television they produce.
Sep 27, 2016 6:24 PM
Feb 2014
>expecting Japan to bow down to Western-style liberalism

KEK, this is exactly why blind cultural arrogance exists here.
Sep 27, 2016 6:46 PM

Jul 2013
Nico- said:

Absolutely this. People just bitch that the politics arent handled the way they want them.
Politcs in a medium produced by another country that is different in well... everything pretty much is gonna be, guess what, DIFFERENT.

And well, Im also getting the idea that you are watching shows that politics arent highly relevant and only a minor element as opposed to some western series that are extremely heavy on it. Well, if you want pollitics, stick to mediums where politics are the current trend then. Easy as that.
Sep 27, 2016 6:52 PM

Jul 2015
Personal opinion, but i think politics is better portrayed in live action.
Sep 27, 2016 8:46 PM

Feb 2015
Dude, what you just need to do is read the daily news in some website... That's all...
Sep 27, 2016 9:26 PM
Oct 2014
IMHO, it's almost impossible to make politics anything other than bland. You want politics in anime? Fine. Here is the right way to do politics in anime: Bad guy tries to take over and/or destroy the world. Good guy stops him. The end.

Anything more than that is too much.
Sep 27, 2016 9:40 PM

Mar 2016
Live action comedies like stephen colbert are the best shows for political drama.

If you're looking for good politics in anime there's Legend of the Galactic Heroes but it's really slow and could be boring if you don't have an interest in history.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 27, 2016 10:54 PM

May 2015
Nico- said:

What would be anime that do well eastern-style politics?
Except for the manga team medical dragon I don't recall any show that does it in a serious and interesting way.
Sep 27, 2016 11:47 PM

Jun 2015
Politics is bland in general. This is a good thing in anime. Politics being bland mean that they're usually understandable. Politics being complex AF makes the audience confused. There's plenty of examples of non-bland politics in anime and manga where the viewers don't know what the fuck is going on, therefore having "bland" politics is ideal.
Though of course there's that rare case of complex politics in anime that is interesting and presented in a way that's easy to grab onto.
Sep 28, 2016 3:17 AM

May 2016
Politic is boring as fuq in general, All mediums should stay the hell away from them.
Sep 28, 2016 6:48 AM
Aug 2015
Soul-Master said:
Nico- said:

Absolutely this. People just bitch that the politics arent handled the way they want them.
Politcs in a medium produced by another country that is different in well... everything pretty much is gonna be, guess what, DIFFERENT.

And well, Im also getting the idea that you are watching shows that politics arent highly relevant and only a minor element as opposed to some western series that are extremely heavy on it. Well, if you want pollitics, stick to mediums where politics are the current trend then. Easy as that.

If politics are going to have an important role in telling your story, then at least try to make it interesting and logical.
Sep 28, 2016 6:56 AM

Feb 2016
Anime and politics?

Come on man I dont even think about that
Sep 28, 2016 7:08 AM

Feb 2016
Code Geass is the perfect example of how politics work since it managed to trick the vast majority of viewers that it has anything to do with politics.
It was very entertaining nonetheless.
Magi did a good job of touching politics at the level they were able to(if i remember correctly)
SpaghettiSpikeSep 28, 2016 7:36 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 28, 2016 8:02 AM

May 2015
Dishonest said:
Code Geass is the perfect example of how politics work since it managed to trick the vast majority of viewers that it has anything to do with politics.
It was very entertaining nonetheless.
Magi did a good job of touching politics at the level they were able to(if i remember correctly)
Oh, I haven't heard about that but it seems it was in a recent interview. Good to know that it will take about only 6 years for it to finish. I might even have kids by then XD
Sep 28, 2016 8:47 AM
Feb 2014
On_the_Lam said:
Soul-Master said:

If politics are going to have an important role in telling your story, then at least try to make it interesting and logical.

What if I told you politics aren't logical at all?
Sep 28, 2016 8:53 AM

May 2012
Once again a thread where no one has watched Hyouge Mono.

Even Seirei no Moribito has political themes along the lines of "what did the star-diviner know, and when did he know it?" That theme gets rather lost at the end though.

Shows about political and artistic repression show up from time to time. Oh! Edo Rocket is set during the Tenpou Reforms when things like public entertainments were banned. Okada Mari takes that concept and uses it to drive the AKB0048 idol anime.

And, of course, Kill la Kill is all about political repression and the soft fascism of Japanese conformity that is enforced via military-styled school uniforms. Fascism appears again as a theme in Gatchaman Crowds Insight.
Sep 28, 2016 8:55 AM

Jul 2014
Speaking of Politics and corruption, I really wish <Hanzawa Naoki> to be adapted into anime.

Also, if you want to watch a show about politics, OP, I think anime is the wrong medium for you to search for.
Sep 28, 2016 11:38 AM
Aug 2015
aqing0601 said:
Speaking of Politics and corruption, I really wish <Hanzawa Naoki> to be adapted into anime.

Also, if you want to watch a show about politics, OP, I think anime is the wrong medium for you to search for.

I didn't ask for political anime suggestions. I was just wondering why politics, WHEN it plays a bigger than average role in the anime, lacks complexity in this medium.
Sep 28, 2016 12:00 PM

Jul 2014
On_the_Lam said:
aqing0601 said:

I didn't ask for political anime suggestions. I was just wondering why politics, WHEN it plays a bigger than average role in the anime, lacks complexity in this medium.

mfw Hazawa Naoki isn't even an anime. FFS OP, read my post before replying. Is it really that hard to read 2 lines?

AS I HAVE STATED, anime is the wrong medium for politics. I will go into detail now since you wanted more answers.

Firstly, most teenagers (most anime's target audience) are not SHOWN to be interested in politics. Even if they are, they lack the depth of knowledge of the field in politics.

Secondly, the ones who are STEREO-TYPICALLY have more depth of knowledge of politics are middle-aged people, who are a minority of the general anime audience.

These factors have a major impact on why politics anime isn't popular.

There's other factors that I could address, but I'll just leave it at that right now.
Sep 28, 2016 12:18 PM

Jul 2013
On_the_Lam said:
Soul-Master said:

Besides what @Nico- told you... you do realize that I said " shows in which politics arent highly relevant and only a minor element", its natural that the politics wont be developed much because... they are a minor element.
On the other hand, if the politics play a major role, then yes, its only natural to expect them to want them to be interesting. Idk what your point is '_>'
Sep 28, 2016 12:25 PM
Aug 2015
aqing0601 said:
On_the_Lam said:

mfw Hazawa Naoki isn't even an anime. FFS OP, read my post before replying. Is it really that hard to read 2 lines?

AS I HAVE STATED, anime is the wrong medium for politics. I will go into detail now since you wanted more answers.

Firstly, most teenagers (most anime's target audience) are not SHOWN to be interested in politics. Even if they are, they lack the depth of knowledge of the field in politics.

Secondly, the ones who are STEREO-TYPICALLY have more depth of knowledge of politics are middle-aged people, who are a minority of the general anime audience.

These factors have a major impact on why politics anime isn't popular.

There's other factors that I could address, but I'll just leave it at that right now.

I wasn't referring to your suggestion, but your sentence implying that I should seek a different medium if I want to watch politics. I clearly READ that you want an anime adaptation of the series you mentioned, which means IT IS NOT AN ANIME.

Anime is a very versatile medium, so you can't say it is the wrong medium for politics. I'll say it once again: I did not even ask for more freaking political anime. I was simply pointing out that existing anime, that decide to integrate politics into their plots, have quite blandly executed political themes. That's it.

And please don't talk about a genre's popularity, because we all know that moe has been the death of anime for quite some time due to its unpredictable popularity. I really doubt that people from the 80s would have thought that 30-40 years later +20 year olds would watch cute girls while spooning a dakimura with their favorite loli's face on it. The same can be said about the future of "political anime".

Soul-Master said:
On_the_Lam said:

Besides what @Nico- told you... you do realize that I said " shows in which politics arent highly relevant and only a minor element", its natural that the politics wont be developed much because... they are a minor element.
On the other hand, if the politics play a major role, then yes, its only natural to expect them to want them to be interesting. Idk what your point is '_>'

I don't understand your point either, to be completely frank.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

15 by TheMechaManiac »»
49 seconds ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9065 by anime-prime »»
54 seconds ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 24 minutes ago

7 by TheMechaManiac »»
3 minutes ago

» Can someone help me find this anime's name?

Angelblue1852 - 48 minutes ago

1 by TheGoProGamer »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

30 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.