Forum Settings
Forums

Loving anime, but having few who love anime to share it with.

New
Sep 26, 2016 10:09 PM

Mar 2013
I am sure there are some, but do people here love anime so much, but have very few people in their lives who they can share anime with? Like, friends in person? I feel like anime is one of my most redeeming qualities, but I know next to no one that I feel I can share this joy with, let alone even talk about with getting the "you're weird" kinda stuff. Obviously anime is appreciated here.. but, I am wondering if there are other people here who know how I feel, and what they do about this. Is it an age thing? Is it an area thing? Thoughts?
...Being an adult sucks.
Sep 26, 2016 10:17 PM

Sep 2016
I can relate; it's actually the reason I dropped anime this recent year. It was lonely being the only one with anime as a hobby. My best friend hates it, my other friends don't watch it anymore. And note, this is all online.

I ended up getting annoyed of the routine, doing what everyone else liked, so here I am, back at it again with anime.

Honestly, I wish I knew people locally who like anime, but I'll take what I can get.

Singing a song of melancholy..

Sep 26, 2016 10:48 PM

Mar 2013
Ahh. Well it is good to know that I am not the only one out there.. I haven't dropped anime because of it, but I find I am becoming more and more of an introvert, only because I feel like I can not truly become close to people, for our contrasting habbits. I am more than okay with this though, because anime brings me much joy. Still.. some local friends to actually have a conversation with about anime would be nice.
...Being an adult sucks.
Sep 26, 2016 11:08 PM

Sep 2016
Empty_Loneliness said:
becoming more and more of an introvert

I realised this also. I was always introverted to begin with, but recently I've been shutting people out and ignoring them just because I can't relate. I still talk to them from time to time, but now I just find it difficult to actually get into the conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and love my friends, but it's just not the same when you know they won't get excited about the anime you're currently watching or something.

Sep 26, 2016 11:15 PM

Aug 2012
Well, I have anime loving friends. Most of them are, actually. I never actually tell them or discuss or watch anything with them except for FMA B. Not having friends who love anime or having them is pretty irrelevant for me. I prefer doing my stuff in solitude, tbh.
Sep 26, 2016 11:19 PM

Aug 2015
I am pretty well used to living in isolation now.

When you are an introvert, and reasonably intelligent, it is just the way it should be.

Once you embrace the isolation and loneliness, it gets renamed as solitude.

This is when isolation and loneliness get turned into a more useful thing. I don't mind so much now. Yes, it would be nice to have someone local to speak to and watch Anime with, but it is not the end of the world if i am in my blissful solitude either.

Maybe we need to form clubs based on locality? There are some here.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 26, 2016 11:50 PM

Mar 2013
I appreciate the responses, everyone.

I do also, as Yarub says, "prefer doing stuff in solitude..," but still, I just wish I could argue, discuss, or just enjoy anime with friends from time to time.

And I agree, mixedfeelings. I also love my friends, But I even wonder sometimes, how much better our friendships could be, if we shared anime. For if they could enjoy it the way I do, I am sure we would be way closer with each other..

PoruMairu, I have been registered, and a user of this site for a few years now, but mostly for the list updates and such. Where do I find these clubs? I am just slowly trying to get into the social-side of this website.
...Being an adult sucks.
Sep 26, 2016 11:53 PM

May 2015
I feel you. My friends like anime, but they only watch One Piece and DBZ.

It's hard to find people like this. You have to actively look. What happened to me was, in a Facebook group someone advertised a weekly meeting of anime fans. So I went there alone and befriended everyone.

If there's an anime convention near you, volunteer. Hell, any convention for nerdy stuff will fit. Also, try working in a nerdy store too. Nerddoms flock together.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 27, 2016 12:12 AM

Sep 2016
Aah, I've always wanted to join a local club around here. I did once as a kid, but my parents obviously wouldn't let me to go out to the meets, since mostly everyone was 20+.

Sadly, can't drive to this day, so I'm pretty much like a sitting turtle.

But, I can agree it's not the end of the world and I can still manage to be happy even though I don't have friends who share my hobbies; albeit, it can still be lonely.

PoruMairu said:

Maybe we need to form clubs based on locality? There are some here.

I can see clubs based on country working out, but as far as narrowing down any further, i'm not so sure how specific you can get before the amount of people gets stale.

Sep 27, 2016 2:43 AM

Aug 2015
I have attended a meetup group here in Melbourne called originally "The Anime SOS Brigade".

They are a good bunch of fellows who meet up once a fortnight on a Sunday afternoon. I mostly cannot make it due to church commitments on Sundays, but I will try to make a few more events.

You can run an Anime search for your locale and on the results, in the right-hand pane it should cover any groups found.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 27, 2016 3:11 AM
Mar 2015
There was one guy at school who liked anime but we rarely spoke about it. Now at university, there is pretty much no one who is interested in these kind of things.
I wish there were some people here so I could tell them exactly why Fella Pure and Fella Hame Lips are the best manga out there talk about various anime related things with them besides MAL.
Sep 27, 2016 3:23 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I have a friend that watch anime and read manga at my school. He has watched like 100 anime and more and talking with him is always fun.

Sep 27, 2016 4:36 AM

Jun 2016
The older you get the less people you have to share your anime obsessions with. Unfortunately many fans kinda taper off in their early to mid 20s ...
Sep 27, 2016 4:49 AM
Jul 2018
I do happen to have 1 irl friend who watches anime tho I haven't been talking to him too much for quite a while except for some pm's we send each other once in a month
Sep 27, 2016 5:18 AM

Aug 2016
I do have a friend who really likes watching as I do, but we haven't been seeing each other lately, and my other friends are all indifferent to animes so....

Empty_Loneliness said:
I find I am becoming more and more of an introvert

Me, in a nutshell
Sep 27, 2016 5:40 AM
Feb 2014
I'd rather be one of the few people in my own life that likes anime desu

Look at the fanbase around you and come back to me
Sep 27, 2016 5:40 AM
May 2009
Its lonely, since no matter how good an anime is or a manga is there is no one to discuss it with.

Its the same with Video games.

But I still keep with it, cause I have nothing else better to do.
Sep 27, 2016 8:50 AM

Mar 2016
I literally love anime with all my heart and my family and friends are so tired of hearing about it... I just need someone to talk about it to
*ponders*
Sep 27, 2016 8:56 AM

Mar 2013
Between working full-time and studying piano, anime takes up a huge portion of my time. Thanks again all. I guess if I just reach out, I may be able to find what I am looking for. Even the responses from you guys are great help!
...Being an adult sucks.
Sep 27, 2016 11:03 AM

Aug 2014
It's the exact opposite for me. Basically everyone in my Japanese class watches and discusses anime (we sometimes watch anime in class). My brother and mom also watch anime on some occasions as well.
Sep 27, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Same happens to me, but with Touhou Project. I have many friends who like anime, but 0 who even like STG.

More topics from this board

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - 4 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

34 by MiniSweetDessert »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

35 by Spunkert »»
53 minutes ago

» How much of the world is autistic

LenRea - Apr 4

48 by NubFix »»
2 hours ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century?

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

43 by LightWorker »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.