Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 25, 2016 10:06 AM
May 2015
Hey guys, I literally just finished Samurai Champloo about 2 minutes ago. I really enjoyed the show up until the ending. While I don't have a problem with a happy ending where the main characters all survive, I have a huge problem with HOW they survive.

For Jin, the show told us straight up that what Jin did had him at about NO chance to survive, evidenced by his master's talk to him about how leaving him open to an enemy then attacking would result in his death as well. However, by PURE almost ZERO chance, Jin survives his master's strategy. I hate it when shows end on something that's pure luck like this.

For Mugen, he was almost knocking on hell's door when about 30 explosives created a massive explosion. This explosives were LITERALLY at his feet. He obviously should have died. It's pretty ridiculous that he miraculously survived multiple sword strikes, a gunshot wound, and about 30 explosives right next to him.

I want to like the ending because there are some shows that have good endings where everyone survives. I also really enjoyed this show up until the ending. Again, my problem is not that they survived, it's HOW they survived. I really want to be convinced that this ending is good, so anyone who wants to try please reply. Thanks!

Sep 27, 2016 5:18 PM

Jan 2014
I literally just finished Samurai Champloo as well 5 minutes ago, and I'm in the same boat as you.

I could maybe see Jin escaping death, but Mugen took a gunshot to the gut, and was blown up by a tons of explosives point blank.

I do think the ending would have been perfect if both Jin and Mugen died, and Fuu keeps on living. She gets old and in her last moments she would remember the journey she went on with the two crazy bastards long ago, and die with a smile.

But it was still a good ending though. :)
Nov 9, 2022 6:05 AM

Aug 2020
The conclusion is the only issue I have with this anime. It's lacking and the villains are some whatever dudes, that never had any prior relevance to the plot.

Besides this, it's a great anime. Almost a masterpiece.

Nov 10, 2022 7:08 PM
Aug 2019
EXACTLY... i literally opened the site's comments to see if I was the only crazy one complaining about this, FINALLY I see I'm not alone. I'd also like to add... how in the world did Jin even get under the rocks to "fight" Mugen, my boy should've been AT LEAST fatally injured anyways, and I highly doubt Fuu would just carry him in that condition, plus it all happens so fast that they should have at least showed a frame of that to make it reasonable... but it's such a shame it had to be like that
Dec 21, 2022 10:52 PM

Jan 2022
Ik this is an old post but I think the issue some people like yall have with the ending is you expect the show to be more realistic than it really is. While it touches on some serious issues, not once does it ever really take itself super serious(the 1st episode practically sets this tone).

It's alot like the Boondocks where it can be grim at one moment yet straight-up comedy at another moment(hence the inspiration). The theme of Champloo would also be completely derailed if Mugen and Jin died, the entire point of their journey was they began to open up the more they went on this journey in contrast to how seclusive they were prior to meeting Fuu. They all split up, but each with a newer and more positive outlook on their futures and themselves. And back to my point about how aloof the show can be, an ending with both of them dying & leaving Fuu alone would be extremely dark & kinda contradict most of the themes.

I will say however I agree the way they survived was nonsensical, I wish they hadn't made Jin & Mugen's moments seem like the actual end for them, horrible pump fake. But similar happens in Bebop, Spike survives alot of bs sometimes lmao. I think it's just something with the way Watanabe plans out certain sequences and doesn't think of how the viewer will interpret it in that moment

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Akral - Sep 17, 2007

67 by Buzz-1 »»
Apr 18, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cero - Oct 20, 2008

373 by ZeyadxMoustafa »»
Apr 2, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

186 by plus_SlamDunk »»
Mar 28, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

142 by CyrahOmega »»
Mar 18, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

55 by GingZ »»
Mar 15, 12:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.