Forum Settings
Forums

What to choose Best 2016 Antivirus Program for Windows 8.1 Pro PC

New
Sep 25, 2016 9:23 AM
Sep 2016
I had a PC running Windows 8.1 about a month or So. I haven't install any antivirus application on it. There are lot of AV program are on the market a bit confused within them. I have a budget of $40 for buying a AV program for windows 8.1 PC. Can any one help me out regarding choosing best antivirus program which does not consume heavy system resources. Free Version will be appreciable. Keen purpose of installing a AV because i watch Anime and other videos from internet so to be on the safe side i need to protect my self and data
Sep 25, 2016 9:39 AM

Jul 2014
Built-in Windows defender is as free as it gets; honestly Common Sense, adblock/ublock and Defender on my W7 box gets by and I get no viruses since.
Sep 25, 2016 2:44 PM

Sep 2014
I haven't had to install an anti virus is six years, and I've never gotten a virus. It's pretty common sense now not to go to suspicious ass websites and downloading and opening suspicious programs. As long as you don't do any of those, you're relatively safe from getting a virus.
Sep 25, 2016 3:15 PM

Sep 2013
Elegade said:
I haven't had to install an anti virus is six years, and I've never gotten a virus. It's pretty common sense now not to go to suspicious ass websites and downloading and opening suspicious programs. As long as you don't do any of those, you're relatively safe from getting a virus.
While I also agree with this, intuition is a skill gained through proactive interaction with the internet, which many simply lack the motivation for, so there should always be a more practical alternative.
Sep 25, 2016 4:02 PM

Apr 2015
Just use build in defender, malwarebytes, ccleaner, adblock (or ublock) and use your common sense. That's all you need to keep your pc clean! :)

So don't download a "movie" thats 32mb x)
Sep 26, 2016 3:30 AM
Sep 2016
OppaiSugoi said:
Built-in Windows defender is as free as it gets; honestly Common Sense, adblock/ublock and Defender on my W7 box gets by and I get no viruses since.

Which ADblock you are talking, windows defender is ligth on system resources
bereta002 said:
Install Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Xubuntu or Kubuntu) and access Internet by it. Don't wast your money with Anti-virus. They are resource hog programs with poor efficiency smadav 2016.

Since I have a Windows LICENSE key. I have to choose free or paid antivirus program for windows 8.1 Download. Are these platform safe from Viruses?
Elegade said:

Yes you are right but that is one side, what about USB sticks which inject viruses to PC. You undesirably visit untrusted websites becuase they are providing you the content you never got on trusted big sites

Mod Edit: Merged consecutive posts; please use the edit button.
kashirolSep 27, 2016 10:03 AM
Sep 26, 2016 3:55 AM

Sep 2015
steyn1001 said:
Just use build in defender, malwarebytes, ccleaner, adblock (or ublock) and use your common sense. That's all you need to keep your pc clean! :)

So don't download a "movie" thats 32mb x)

this + NoScript and Flashblock.

@kashirol

use uBlock (better than Adblock)

no windows 8.1 is not safe from viruses, trojans, etc. :D
personally i use avast but it became annoying recently with its new pop-ups

with NoScript you have to give permission to every object on a site. you can block embeddings (background videos or music, iFrames and so on). so you can still visit your untrusted websites

Sep 26, 2016 3:59 AM

Jan 2016
paid: kaspers key
free: avast/avira/bitdefender

add block plus for google chrome/mozila
and if need have a add cleaner
Sep 26, 2016 5:57 AM

Aug 2014
Malware Bytes, adblock and common sense is all you need to avoid viruses. It's just not worth paying for anti virus programs imo as you can easily avoid viruses by not downloading or going on sites that seems suspicious.
Sep 26, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2014
avast all the way~~

Sep 26, 2016 7:39 AM

Aug 2016
Hydrous said:

^
Kaspersky=life. It saved my ass so many times.
Sep 26, 2016 8:06 AM

Apr 2015
I run Malwarebytes and CCleaner. The free version of Malwarebytes has saved my ass a lot more than any paid software has.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 26, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2016
Yorshkai said:
Hydrous said:

^

Same here, my dad buys the family pack so too get one for my laptop ^_^
the day it expired my laptop got filled with virus and the freee ones arent as effective :P
Sep 26, 2016 10:13 PM

Dec 2013
Ignore everyone here and just get ESET NOD32.

- Light (best for gaming)
- Rarely gives false positives (easy to navigate Quarantine section regardless)
- High customization

I look at all kinds of weird crap online and ESET has always held strong.
Every time I tried to intentionally bork my system by being way too curious ESET has always btch slapped all the potential threats.

CakedogSep 26, 2016 10:20 PM
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Sep 26, 2016 11:30 PM

Aug 2012
I personally use Kaspersky Total Security. It's good, I guess. Never really had the adrenaline of seeing it inaction trying to kill off a virus, though.
Sep 26, 2016 11:41 PM

Aug 2015
Cakedog said:
Ignore everyone here and just get ESET NOD32.

- Light (best for gaming)
- Rarely gives false positives (easy to navigate Quarantine section regardless)
- High customization

I look at all kinds of weird crap online and ESET has always held strong.
Every time I tried to intentionally bork my system by being way too curious ESET has always btch slapped all the potential threats.

Well i have ESET premium so i should add 1 more thing.
-Install ESET
-Google ESET keys
-Profit
What i like about ESET is it's virus database is updated in small size frequently rather then big size at once.
Sep 27, 2016 3:14 AM

Aug 2015
Get your free Win10 update ( you can still get it if you choose accessibility options), I just use Defender and free version of Malwarebytes. Never had issues with those two.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 27, 2016 3:45 AM

Sep 2016
Tried Kaspersky, Avast etc. then tried Avira and sticked to it combined with Malwarebytes.
Sep 27, 2016 5:01 AM

Apr 2015
Hydrous said:
Yorshkai said:

^

the day it expired my laptop got filled with virus and the freee ones arent as effective :P

Most of the payed ones use the same database as the free ones so I don't thinks thats true ;)
Sep 27, 2016 7:46 AM

Jan 2016
steyn1001 said:
Hydrous said:

Most of the payed ones use the same database as the free ones so I don't thinks thats true ;)

i am not reaally a tech pro....only knnow c and c++ programming ...so i cant argue with dtabase etc..
all i wat to say is that i fealt the virus were dealt faster and easily with the paid than free...they wee more eficent ...i got lot of warnings etc
Sep 27, 2016 8:07 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Norton would be, in my opinion. I used them for years then switched to Bitdefender a year ago and I regret it. Bitdefender has been nothing but an annoying pesky program that often forgets it's own settings, requiring I do everything all over again.
Sep 27, 2016 8:13 AM

Apr 2015
Lolicon said:
Norton would be, in my opinion. I used them for years then switched to Bitdefender a year ago and I regret it. Bitdefender has been nothing but an annoying pesky program that often forgets it's own settings, requiring I do everything all over again.

Norton is the worst. It makes computers slow (without a hdd) and blocks almost everything :p
Sep 27, 2016 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Antivirus? What's that? You get infected if you don't have enough knowledge of computers, Internet, etc. Antivirus are shit.
Sep 27, 2016 10:33 PM

Jul 2011
Panda Free Antivirus, very easy on resources + detection rate has been 100% for a each month / testing.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
May 12, 2017 4:50 AM

May 2017
Hello! in my opinion, for household use, it is sufficient to set free antivirus. I also use this Defender http://myspybot.com/jaff-file-virus/
May 12, 2017 4:08 PM

Jan 2009
Every Anti-Virus Program can be a Miss. Even Microsoft can fail with its own Defender at making it unexploitable:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/windows-defender-nscript-remote-vulnerability/

In Order to search for Threats, Anti-Virus Software has to act like a Rootkit and other Malware themselves, which undermines Security Features such as TLS (formerly SSL) on HTTPS Sites or Browser Sandboxes.

That being sad, even with the Possibility that your own Guard can get exploited and turn against you, it's still better to have someone who can warn you instead of it being too late and you knowing nothing about what your Computer does.

From the Performance Aspects, it can also be a Hit or Miss, because for some it seems like the Windows Defender is slowing the Computer down while others may have no Problems whatsoever with a certain AV-Program only to have suddenly Issues after an Update. My Advice would be to just use whichever you can use the best and doesn't hinder you much while you pay more Attention with other Things.
For Example, to prevent your own AV from crashing through a Scanning Bug, use https://www.virustotal.com/ to scan the Website. Often, there are Links to "go to downloaded file". It may be also wise to temporarily disable the AV to upload a File on VT and to set up the UAC on highest Level with a PW, which is btw. an interesting Alternative to Linux sudo-ing. If I'm not mistaken, Linux fills the Password blank, while Microsoft offers a secure Desktop (when the Desktop fades or when you press Ctrl+Alt+Entf) that isolates the Application from the System.
May 20, 2017 8:53 AM
May 2016
You can download and use a free version of Avast Antivirus. It stays in the background and doesn't bother you too much plus you still get a decent amount of protection. I have an 8.1 PC myself and I've never had a problem with a free version of Avast ^_^

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3505 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3717 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

48 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

15 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

7 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.