Forum Settings
Forums

Option to display English titles in your list?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2021 5:50 AM
Aug 2020
Ian_Hsieh said:

Thanks, this is a godsend.

BTW, I rather have Kanji over Romanji titles. As a Chinese, Kanji is more readable for me.

No worries, good to see it's helping someone else besides just me.

Displaying the Kanji might be possible, but I can't figure out a way with jQuery to grab the particular part of the page that's needed (without having to manually open each page). If anyone can figure it out feel free to message me or submit a pull request.

hacker09 said:

Ian_Hsieh said:
BTW, I rather have Kanji over Romanji titles. As a Chinese, Kanji is more readable for me.

you can do that using userscripts...

If you've got one you know of, would be great of you to link it.
Check out my script that adds English title translations to MAL!
GreasyFork link | Github link
Jan 14, 2021 7:13 AM
Aug 2020
@hacker09
Nice, looks like the second one works, although no cache. Might have a look at using some of the methods to clean up mine or add new features.

Seems all the other translation scripts mostly just work on /animelist or /mangalist unfortunately.
AnimorphsJan 14, 2021 7:17 AM
Check out my script that adds English title translations to MAL!
GreasyFork link | Github link
Jan 14, 2021 8:05 AM

Dec 2019
@Animorphs

I once found one/2 scripts that worked anywhere, not only on the anime/manga lists.

But you would need to check on greasyfork
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Apr 3, 2021 11:23 AM
Dec 2020
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Pullman said:
The only problem I see is that it can be hard to identify which show is which once they are already on your list and you are browsing your list.
This.

How many of you can identify the following works, without looking them up:

Ookami to Koushinryou
Doubutsu no Mori
Atelier Petros Joukuu Gekijou: Sentaku Shima no Sentaku Tori
Rakuen Tsuihou
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Tsumiki no Ie
Majo no Takkyuubin
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Kaze Tachinu
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

I recognize none of those titles :(
Apr 3, 2021 1:40 PM

May 2009
Fyuuto said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
This.

How many of you can identify the following works, without looking them up:

Ookami to Koushinryou
Doubutsu no Mori
Atelier Petros Joukuu Gekijou: Sentaku Shima no Sentaku Tori
Rakuen Tsuihou
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Tsumiki no Ie
Majo no Takkyuubin
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Kaze Tachinu
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

I recognize none of those titles :(
Respectively, they are:

Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 5, 2021 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
there is a plan for adding a toggle button between english and japanese title but was never release since then https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxg35q/

but with people here noticing that all titles are becoming what the official japanese titles are then maybe they are planning to implement this toggle button soon

This reddit comment was from 5 years ago. Why isn’t there an option to see titles in English only? I don’t get how AniList and Anime-Planet have this feature while MAL still doesn’t.
Apr 6, 2021 5:59 AM

Mar 2018
How is this still not a thing?
Apr 6, 2021 8:30 PM
Jan 2021
It's annoying that there is no option to toggle b/w Titles language

please check this thread also
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1912727
Barry_Allen_14Apr 6, 2021 10:17 PM
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Apr 10, 2021 5:12 AM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
I absolutely need this. I refer to literally every anime with its English title (where available) and I'd like to be able to display my list that way.
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Jul 18, 2021 7:26 AM
May 2018
Well its a bunch of years later and they still wont let us change the names to english. Its a super annoying that they wont change it. I don't understand why and i cant find it listed anywhere.
Oct 29, 2021 6:16 AM
Jul 2021
I think there should be an option to select English anime title or Japanese anime title
Nov 28, 2021 5:14 PM

Aug 2011
Samdiablo1 said:
I think there should be an option to select English anime title or Japanese anime title

For some reason, if I view my manga list when logged out, a bunch of the names are in English, but when logged in, they're in romanji. IDK why that is, because there's still a ton of series that will display in romanji when logged out.
Nov 28, 2021 5:55 PM

Oct 2014
hitemlow said:
Samdiablo1 said:

For some reason, if I view my manga list when logged out, a bunch of the names are in English, but when logged in, they're in romanji. IDK why that is, because there's still a ton of series that will display in romanji when logged out.
They finally added it in as a feature. I guess on your computer English is default and your account forces it to romaji. The reason why it would be a mix is that not all anime have been licensed, so even if there's a common English title that might just be a literal translation rather than an officially recognized license name.
Aug 24, 2022 6:20 AM
Mar 2016
when I log in. in my list I see japanese title in romanji abc. but when I log out the title in my list is in english name.
Apr 17, 2023 10:00 PM
Dec 2022
SaberOfKurisu said:
ew, it would turn this site into crunchyroll
so you expect us to know all these long titles even though were already familiar with the English ones? no thanks most of us have lives and rather not sit around memorizing every anime’s ridiculously long title when the English ones are always simpler
Apr 20, 2023 2:43 PM

Jul 2007
czr1511 said:
So you expect us to know all these long titles even though were already familiar with the English ones? no thanks most of us have lives and rather not sit around memorizing every anime’s ridiculously long title when the English ones are always simpler
I was about to come in here expressing amazement that this still wasn't an option (I made a thread asking about it all the way back in 2007, dear lord), but apparently it's...actually a thing now? No, seriously, go to your Account Settings and select List, and right at the top there are options for Anime Titles and Manga Titles. And apparently it was added in 2021...how the hell did I miss this?!
Jul 28, 2023 6:39 AM
Apr 2023
Is there a new feature showing only English titles rather than other language?
Jul 28, 2023 7:18 AM

Mar 2012
Do you like to use this mal english titles in Greasyfork?

Mal English Titles

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Aug 20, 2023 1:15 AM
Super Kami Guru

Aug 2023
Top_Gun said:
czr1511 said:
So you expect us to know all these long titles even though were already familiar with the English ones? no thanks most of us have lives and rather not sit around memorizing every anime’s ridiculously long title when the English ones are always simpler
I was about to come in here expressing amazement that this still wasn't an option (I made a thread asking about it all the way back in 2007, dear lord), but apparently it's...actually a thing now? No, seriously, go to your Account Settings and select List, and right at the top there are options for Anime Titles and Manga Titles. And apparently it was added in 2021...how the hell did I miss this?!
This seems to only apply to YOUR list and not when searching for the anime in the first place. It also doesn't seem to work in the mobile app (though the app itself doesn't actually have this option).
Aug 20, 2023 5:51 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
I don't understand why there isn't a toggle option. I also don't understand why the titles are displayed in romanji rather than the actual kana/kanji: if you're going to display it in Japanese, at least do it properly. 
Aug 20, 2023 8:56 AM

Feb 2023
This topic has been about showing the English names in your own anime/manga list. It's implemented, why is this still open?
You can change the language in your List Settings.

About having English names not just in your List but everywhere, there's this topic for example.
About having the names on your List written in Japanese characters instead of romaji, someone could open a new Suggestion topic about it. Nobody will find it here.
Aug 20, 2023 9:04 AM

Jan 2017
Vaturna said:
why is this still open?

MAL doesn't close threads when the question/suggestion has been answered/impletemented
They do so only when it doesn't respect the forum guidelines
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Yesterday, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Yesterday, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.