Forum Settings
Forums

Option to display English titles in your list?

New
Sep 25, 2016 12:33 AM

Apr 2009
I like to look at the to-watch section of my list, but it has titles like Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! and Shingeki no Kyojin. I don't know what these are when I stop by to look at my list thinking about what new anime to watch after a couple months etc.

But the English titles of these shows are information you have, since the entries say alternate title - English: Ace Attorney, and Attack on Titan for example.

Is there any way you could incorporate a list view setting to show the English titles on my anime list page? Just the option would be helpful, since the site is designed to be useful for English language fans in particular. Thanks.

Not to say I can't remember a title like "Hajime no Ippo" for an old fav, but for ones like the two I mentioned where they're commonly known by an English name, I just have no idea when I see those titles.
Psycho_SanjiSep 25, 2016 12:40 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2016 12:47 AM

Oct 2014
Actually, you know what, although similar suggestions have been denied in the past, I don't disagree with the idea of being able to choose which title anime show up with in your own (eg. Default, English, Original title). This probably wouldn't involve that much coding and so there wouldn't be a way to stop it from showing dub titles like Glitter Force and Case Closed without a fair bit of programming, but it could still satisfy some people. I guess anime without an English title listed would just use the default title.
Sep 26, 2016 12:30 PM

Oct 2015
as a workaround for the problem with remembering what is what in the PTW list, use the tags field. I resorted to this for titles where I know that next week or next month I likely won't remember what is [title] and why did I add it. (this director, that voice actor, so-so script-writer, ...)

nw0lf said:
I agree, it's very annoying to see long Japanese titles that you don't recognise for studio ghibli films

For me it would be even more annoying if sometimes I see "Kiki's Delivery Service" and sometimes "Majo no Takkyuubin".
So the choice of which title to display should be strictly bound to the user reading the list(s). Then I am all for this suggestion.
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Sep 27, 2016 5:18 AM

Jul 2015
Senpaoi said:
Just toggle pictures as you can see on my list. I'm not sure why you learn the English names and not the Japanese ones though .-.

It is not so much of a chose to learn the English title over the Japanese. Its just that the English names are what they are marketed under in the US. Even that 5 Studio Ghibli movies that have picked up Academy Award nominations, were list under their English titles. Any time I go to the store or go on Netflix, the English titles are used, so it would be nice to have an English option when viewing my list.
Sep 27, 2016 5:34 PM

Apr 2009
Senpaoi said:
Just toggle pictures as you can see on my list. I'm not sure why you learn the English names and not the Japanese ones though .-.

I explained that in the opening post a bit. I can remember Japanese titles, especially if that's what I'm introduced to the show as. But I've never heard anybody online or in person call Attack on Titan anything other than Attack on Titan for example, so I don't recognize the other title. You remember things through use, at least I do.

The pictures setting is a good idea though, thanks.
Sep 29, 2016 4:33 AM
Feb 2013
ew, it would turn this site into crunchyroll
May 16, 2019 11:26 AM
Dec 2018
For an English website the English name for the shows should be listed instead of the Japanese. If people don't like that at least put the English name in parenthesis underneath it instead of making us having to click the link of the show then find it. It would make searching for show a lot easier.
May 16, 2019 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
Searching with an English title already yields results for it anime.
May 16, 2019 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
It won't work. There are often multiple English names and I think I've seen some with Japanese title only- without English
May 16, 2019 11:46 AM

Nov 2015
The english name is already in the alternate names section of each title. When you search in english it still yields the result, so it'd be ultimately pointless.
May 19, 2019 12:22 AM

Jan 2009
there is a plan for adding a toggle button between english and japanese title but was never release since then https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3gedyl/im_xinil_creator_and_lead_admin_of_myanimelist/ctxg35q/

but with people here noticing that all titles are becoming what the official japanese titles are then maybe they are planning to implement this toggle button soon
May 19, 2019 12:35 AM

Oct 2014
Most MAL users don't speak English as their native language and Japanese is an easy language that we can all agree on. There are plenty of anime that have license titles many fans refuse to use because they prefer the Japanese name, like Houseki no Kuni and Shingeki no Kyojin. Just because an anime has been licensed with a translated title doesn't mean all fans agree with that choice so forcing it on people wouldn't be the nicest thing to do.

Having an option to toggle on taking a preference for English titles for anime that have been licensed seems harmless and useful. I personally wouldn't use it, but I know a lot of people who would so giving them the option would be a good idea.
May 19, 2019 9:25 PM

Mar 2013
It is not necessary for the english name.
Japanese title will do.
Feb 23, 2020 8:48 PM

Feb 2020
Is there any way to change the sorting of the a-z animes to have the English titles? I watch subbed anime just like everyone else but I'm having a hell of a tedious time trying to decipher these pictures and titles I'm not familiar with while filling out my list.
Feb 23, 2020 8:56 PM

Jun 2012
That's very unlikely for now......
Feb 23, 2020 9:06 PM

Aug 2013
Yes, there is:
Feb 23, 2020 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
You'd probably have to resort to using English titles in the search bar which does a decent job of detecting the series based on alternate titles.
Feb 23, 2020 9:09 PM

Feb 2020
Oh well. Thanks for the answers, I'll just do it the hard way then lol
Feb 24, 2020 4:22 AM

May 2009
Anime-Planet and Kitsu have the option to switch to English titles.

Anime-Planet (which I am currently using) has the following options: "Anime-Planet default", "Japanese", "English". I think the default is a mix of the two, depending on which one is more commonly used?

Kitsu had (back when I used it) the options "English", "Romaji" (which is a mix of the two), and "Japanese" (which is actually Romaji, rather than English spelling, for everything), I think. I dunno what they're doing now. (I left it since I don't like the interface that much.)

And yeah, the excessive use of Japanese titles can be confusing for no good reason.
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 24, 2020 4:28 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 24, 2020 4:42 AM
Aug 2013
MAL is behind with its competitors on some aspects, and switching to English titles, changing the scoring method and apps are some of those. Hopefully we’ll see changes soon.
Feb 24, 2020 5:43 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah as much of a weeb as I consider myself, I'd still prefer it being called Your Lie in April over Shigatsu wa kimi no osu. or The Wallflower over Shichihenge something.

Feb 24, 2020 6:36 AM

Feb 2010
It shouldn't really be a problem for filling your list as the search works just as well if you type in the english title, at least for most series.

The only problem I see is that it can be hard to identify which show is which once they are already on your list and you are browsing your list.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 24, 2020 6:59 PM

Jun 2008
MAL used to list everything by the English titles back in the day. I kinda miss it.
Feb 24, 2020 7:15 PM

May 2009
Pullman said:
The only problem I see is that it can be hard to identify which show is which once they are already on your list and you are browsing your list.
This.

How many of you can identify the following works, without looking them up:

Ookami to Koushinryou
Doubutsu no Mori
Atelier Petros Joukuu Gekijou: Sentaku Shima no Sentaku Tori
Rakuen Tsuihou
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
Tsumiki no Ie
Majo no Takkyuubin
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Kaze Tachinu
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki
GlennMagusHarveyFeb 24, 2020 7:24 PM
Feb 24, 2020 7:20 PM

Oct 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Pullman said:
This.

How many people know what the following works are:

Doubutsu no Mori
Rakuen Tsuihou
Tsumiki no Ie
Majo no Takkyuubin
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Kaze Tachinu
Sen to Chihiro is Spirited Away, Tsumiki no Ie is La Maison en Petite Cubes.

If you look at titles enough you learn to recognize them. Most titles I'm more familiar with the Japanese name. I would support an option to turn it over to English for the anime that have English license titles (some anime licensors stick with the Japanese, like with Hyouka and Tsuki ga Kirei).
Feb 24, 2020 7:26 PM

May 2009
zombie_pegasus said:
If you look at titles enough you learn to recognize them.
Fair point, though it's still the case that some names are just far more often used in the English-speaking fandom. Spirited Away literally won an Oscar while using its English title, for example.

Both titles should, of course, be visible on the work page itself.
Feb 25, 2020 7:24 AM

Feb 2010
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Pullman said:
This.

How many of you can identify the following works, without looking them up:

Ookami to Koushinryou
Doubutsu no Mori
Rakuen Tsuihou
Tsumiki no Ie
Majo no Takkyuubin
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Kaze Tachinu
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki

I basically know all the ones that I've seen from that list but then again most anime I find via MAL so I kinda familiarize myself with the japanese name from the start.

The older stuff that I had already seen before they switched to all japanese titles took a few years but at this point I recognize all the Ghibli Movies and other stuff from that era (like spice and wolf) as well.

So I do see the appeal of the suggestion, but for me personally it's never really been an issue because I interact way too much with MAL so whether I want it or not, I know all the japanese titles for shows I've seen ^^.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 2, 2020 4:39 PM
Apr 10, 2020 5:42 PM

Jan 2010

Ah nice, that's encouraging.
Apr 21, 2020 8:05 PM
Aug 2017
Necroing this thread to show my +1 for this feature request. I don't see how this can be rejected when it's for our OWN lists. I'm using an external script for this currently which isn't very neat.
Apr 29, 2020 12:45 AM
Apr 2020
I cannot believe there is no option to locally display English titles rather than Japanese titles. How could this site possibly have existed for this long and be this popular and no one thought that would be a good idea?

I suppose the expectation is that everyone will simply learn the Japanese title of every show? Or memorize the (too small) image thumbnails?
Jun 11, 2020 10:04 AM
Jun 2007
I would really prefer to see English titles on my own list. Especially since nowadays a lot of shows decide to do full on sentences as titles. I remember "Ascendance of a Bookworm" just fine, but "Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen" is a bit much.
Aug 15, 2020 10:20 AM
Mar 2010
This is an essential feature, in my opinion.
Aug 20, 2020 2:51 PM

Aug 2020
Mr_Alchemy said:
This is an essential feature, in my opinion.

i think so too
-nishat
Aug 25, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2019
They definitely need to add this option.
Aug 28, 2020 10:41 PM
Apr 2018
100% agree. I can go to the anime page for Houseki no Kuni, and see you selling the manga on that page under the english name "Land of the Lustrous", but you force us to use the japanese name in our lists. It doesn't make sense. We should have the option to understand what we're reading.

And when we watch anime online? Even subbed anime sites use the english name.

Torrents? Usually still the english name, or it shows both. MAL is out of touch with the anime landscape.
EsumeiAug 29, 2020 10:07 AM
Sep 5, 2020 2:07 AM

Jan 2013
This would make things a lot easier.. example:

Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou

Alternative Titles

English: Fire Force Season 2

Synonyms: Enen no Shouboutai 2nd Season

Japanese: 炎炎ノ消防隊 弐ノ章
Sep 23, 2020 5:42 PM

Dec 2019
you guys can do that using some userscript...
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Sep 23, 2020 9:48 PM

May 2010
i use akarin's tags updater script that adds several tags and shows them with a mouseover on my list, the ones that don't have it yet i either added before mal added any english titles or mal has yet to add an english title.
Sep 28, 2020 9:30 AM
Aug 2020
I've created a script to do exactly this (display English titles) which you can download here:
https://github.com/Animorphs/MAL-English-Titles
Check out my script that adds English title translations to MAL!
GreasyFork link | Github link
Sep 28, 2020 9:45 AM
Jul 2019
Nope. You'll just have to get used to it.
Sep 29, 2020 4:40 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Multiple threads have been merged into this one.
Dec 15, 2020 3:43 PM
Nov 2020
The MAL database already has English titles and Japanese titles so you should have the option to view the one you choose in your list. It is very annoying to stare at some Japanese phrase with no idea of what it means and have to click on it to find out what it is. For example: "Shingeki no Kyojin" is "Attack On Titan".

To all you condescending Weeaboos who say: Just learn the Japanese: I don't want to do it. I'm not going to do it. You're not being helpful and in future you should keep your warped opinions to yourselves.

The fact that you can search for an English title is irrelevant. The idea of MAL is look at someone's list and see what they like. You don't have the time to click on every item whose Japanese name you don't know.

The excuse that it's too hard to change things doesn't make sense either. A lot of shows are already titled in English while others are in Romanji. There's no consistency at all! You've got "Death Note", "Fairy Tale" and "Black Clover" but "Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu", "Majo no Takkyuubin" and "Nanatsu no Taizai". It makes no sense!

Come on site developer: Just give the viewer the option of English or Kanji. The weeaboos can select Kanji. If they can't read that they should stop pretending to be Japanese and go back to reading English like the rest of us. Alternatively: Just make all the titles English and be done with it!
WazzoTheMartianDec 15, 2020 4:35 PM
Dec 15, 2020 8:07 PM

May 2020
the English title is easier to handle but you can learn Japanese from the names
Dec 24, 2020 10:35 PM
Oct 2018
Yes. While some anime I can recognize by now, a few honestly, there's no reason to not just give us the option to swap to the english names in our lists. Options are good. And personally, I use the english name for everything because it's my native language and easier for me to keep track of with the amount of anime I have in my to-watch list, and the other lists too.
Jan 4, 2021 11:53 PM
Dec 2020
Yeah it would be pretty cool. It irritating to see some uncommon names as the title .there should be a option to select which language to be shown as title.even anime planet has this option.I dont mean convert it just want to just add a option so everyone can have there preference
Sam234ioJan 4, 2021 11:56 PM
Jan 10, 2021 5:46 PM
Apr 2013
Erm, learn the japanese titles? I know nearly all my shows by japanese title, and get confused when people use that shitty english version, especially when it leaves parts of the japanese original out. I mean, sure, if we have the option, great, but have it go both ways please, for example Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Brotherhood is still in the english version, while something like Kyojin isn't.
Jan 13, 2021 9:08 AM
May 2018
Animorphs said:
I've created a script to do exactly this (display English titles) which you can download here:

Thanks, this is a godsend.

BTW, I rather have Kanji over Romanji titles. As a Chinese, Kanji is more readable for me.
Jan 13, 2021 12:36 PM

Dec 2019
Ian_Hsieh said:
Animorphs said:

Thanks, this is a godsend.

BTW, I rather have Kanji over Romanji titles. As a Chinese, Kanji is more readable for me.

you can do that using userscripts...
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
33 minutes ago

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.