Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 24, 2016 3:16 PM

Feb 2016
I understand that Re:zero isn't perfect. I understand that it's far from it, but why the hate? All the reviews seems so exaggerated. Someone went so far as to call it an "Over hyped catastrophe"

I agree that, it is overhyped, but still enjoyable nonetheless. With a rocky start and pretty repetitive theme, it still had me waiting for the next episode every week. That said, people are giving it threes and fours, rating it lower than even Seikon no Qwaser, an anime about suckin' tits to get power, which is just appaling (no offense if you actually do like that anime).

It's like you either hate it with all your being, or love it. People keep calling it over-hyped, but just look at the hate, it's complete hypocrisy!! Urgh! So I wanna know. What is it that people hate about it so much? *I'm genuinely asking*

And I mean, what RUINS it so much for you to even give it a one?

*Caution, this thread will contain spoilers*
xMazzySep 26, 2016 6:05 PM
“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.”
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2016 3:24 PM

Feb 2016
Just look at its score, its ranked 33rd! I find that pretty ridiculuous, but w/e its MALs taste and i accept that.
Every show has people who rate it from 1-10, will you be making this thread for every single one now?

Also i saw some Qwaser fight scenes and theyseemed pretty awesome.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 24, 2016 3:24 PM

Aug 2014
It's called an opinion, something that is different from person to person. What some consider the best damn show ever created will be considered the worst damn show ever created by someone else, simple as that. Some might like it for having an interesting way of using the whole time reset ability, some may dislike it for having not so interesting/good way of time reset. Just read those reviews instead of ranting about them though, some of them do have good points to back up why they think it's overhyped.
Sep 24, 2016 4:08 PM

Jul 2015
If we get a full adaption... then yes it deserves the hype, but if this is the only season then it is just a good show
Sup...
Sep 24, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2016
Dishonest said:
Just look at its score, its ranked 33rd! I find that pretty ridiculuous, but w/e its MALs taste and i accept that.
Every show has people who rate it from 1-10, will you be making this thread for every single one now?

Pretty ridiculous why? No seriously.. This is a damn good show .. So u re saying sucking oppai to boost the power is actually not ridiculous?
Sep 24, 2016 4:36 PM

Feb 2016
kingfroggy said:
Dishonest said:

Pretty ridiculous why? No seriously.. This is a damn good show .. So u re saying sucking oppai to boost the power is actually not ridiculous?

re zero fanboi wont even try to read my comment properly :(
My opinion is its overrated I enjoyed the first 6 episodes pretty much and dropped it afterwards but the hype was so big i tried it again and was disappointed. I havent seen Qwaser nor intend to, but i saw some fights on yt and they were good(didnt even know it was about boob sucking).
Looking at your favourites youre really into this type of shows, were just somewhat different.
SpaghettiSpikeSep 24, 2016 4:39 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Sep 24, 2016 5:01 PM

Feb 2016
Dishonest said:
kingfroggy said:

My opinion is its overrated I enjoyed the first 6 episodes pretty much and dropped it afterwards but the hype was so big i tried it again and was disappointed. I havent seen Qwaser nor intend to, but i saw some fights on yt and they were good(didnt even know it was about boob sucking).
Looking at your favourites youre really into this type of shows, were just somewhat different.

I m not a fanboy..it s just all the genres i love in a show are present on this one.. but leaving this out, it s weird that this show is considered Ridiculous when it s plenty of shit out there.what the author of this post said is right and i-we just wanna know why all this hate :/
Sep 24, 2016 5:09 PM

Feb 2016
kingfroggy said:
Dishonest said:

I m not a fanboy..it s just all the genres i love in a show are present on this one.. but leaving this out, it s weird that this show is considered Ridiculous when it s plenty of shit out there.what the author of this post said is right and i-we just wanna know why all this hate :/

Well if you consider any of the other top 50 shit, then someone could ask you why the hate. Its ranked #33 and thats really high so I somewhat understand why someone would disagree with the majority who rated it high. I think it deserves neither praise or hate.

edit: the youtuber Gigguk commented most things that are right and wrong with the show for me(maybe a bit offensive if youre sensible) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4knCvz086A0
SpaghettiSpikeSep 24, 2016 5:20 PM

Sep 24, 2016 7:56 PM

May 2016
With some people calling one of the best anime ever and if not that, still highly rated, I say Re:zero can never match its hype. I say any highly hyped anime has a hard time matching it which most of the time doesn't.

Re:zero does many things right but also does a lot wrong. I feel that some of its draw backs are the ones that are poplurized (Rem and the SUFFERING) while the critisms are ignored (No real endgame/focus and Subaru being somehow useless and can do anything at the same time). I still like it, but I think both side are blind to each other.
Sep 24, 2016 8:30 PM

May 2016
The_Last_Time said:
takenMalUsername said:
With some people calling one of the best anime ever and if not that, still highly rated, I say Re:zero can never match its hype. I say any highly hyped anime has a hard time matching it which most of the time doesn't.

Re:zero does many things right but also does a lot wrong. I feel that some of its draw backs are the ones that are poplurized (Rem and the SUFFERING) while the critisms are ignored (No real endgame/focus and Subaru being somehow useless and can do anything at the same time). I still like it, but I think both side are blind to each other.

The author has said the story is continued to go on for 11-12 arcs and the anime only adapted 3. So ther is an endgame it just has not been reached yet like most long series take a time to reach. Subaru is useless and that has never been ignored. Even when he uses his brain to solve problems when he is calm which is about all he can do, he still is heavily reliant on other people to help him accomplish his goal.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but if a plot/story based series takes 25 episides/3 arcs and still doesn't have a real focus, that is a problem. I finished it and I still don't have a clear understanding of what Re:zero whats to be. It isn't about how Subaru came here since that barely matters. If it is the royal election then why did it get a brief mention for like 1 or 2 episodes and then quickly forgetten only to be brief mentioned by the other candidate which are side characters who are barely there. It could be about the witch cult, but why introduce the white whale in between and have the cult be kind of easy to defeat.

I was a little bit influnced by the Gigguk video, but I was disappointed while watching that the royal election was brushed off for what we got.
Sep 24, 2016 8:49 PM

May 2016
takenMalUsername said:
The_Last_Time said:

The author has said the story is continued to go on for 11-12 arcs and the anime only adapted 3. So ther is an endgame it just has not been reached yet like most long series take a time to reach. Subaru is useless and that has never been ignored. Even when he uses his brain to solve problems when he is calm which is about all he can do, he still is heavily reliant on other people to help him accomplish his goal.

Sorry if I come off as rude, but if a plot/story based series takes 25 episides/3 arcs and still doesn't have a real focus, that is a problem. I finished it and I still don't have a clear understanding of what Re:zero whats to be. It isn't about how Subaru came here since that barely matters. If it is the royal election then why did it get a brief mention for like 1 or 2 episodes and then quickly forgetten only to be brief mentioned by the other candidate which are side characters who are barely there. It could be about the witch cult, but why introduce the white whale in between and have the cult be kind of easy to defeat.

I was a little bit influnced by the Gigguk video, but I was disappointed while watching that the royal election was brushed off for what we got.
you're only getting that impression because they story is very long. We are barely in the beginning of the story. You have only seen Rem and Wilhelm backstories and there are many left. For example, the bowel hunter Elsa will get her time as well and she was introduced way back in the first arc. Just not now.

That gigguk person also complained around ep7 that Rem and Ram actions make no make no sense. "Why was Rem angry all the time?""!!! (His tweets).. he did that because they have not reached the episode where they explained the twins past with the witch cult. There are just a lot foreshadowing in this series.

Subsequent episodes shut him up at least. Now he's doing again. Asking for questions that will get answer later on or demanding answers too soon I shall say.
TeamDalaiLanaSep 24, 2016 8:52 PM
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Sep 24, 2016 9:03 PM

Aug 2013
takenMalUsername said:
The_Last_Time said:

What we saw of the Royal Selection was just the beginning of it where they officially introduce the candidates. Immediately after the introduction there was the problem with the Witch Cult and the Whale (Gluttony), and since Subaru always requires a few tries to get things done, that was basically the whole rest of the series. His wheeling and dealing to get help to deal with those problems will certainly have an impact on the selection, but the anime doesn't get that far.

There are lots of other loose ends though, if they want to continue the story. For example, there's presumably at least 4 other sins out there (if Subaru is Pride). I feel the real story is what exactly the Witch wants Subaru to accomplish. Is he merely there to keep Emilia alive so that she can become the witch's vessel or is there some other grander purpose? Who is the Witch really?
Sep 24, 2016 10:36 PM

Jun 2012
Overhyped shows by nature will always have a hate mob. I think the reason for this is as people buy into the hype and are disappointed, they will probably over-hate the show.

As someone who watched it from episode 1 without having people hype or hate it up for me, I thought it was just decent. I liked the first half and a few episodes in the second half, but I hated how ridiculous the villain was and how he constantly sucked the drama out of every scene he was involved in. Last 2 or 3 episodes were decent though. I also didn't like how unfocused the story was, but I understand it's the first season of a very long story, so I give that a pass. Nothing amazing, but certainly not the worst thing ever.
EternalSerenitySep 24, 2016 10:42 PM
Sep 24, 2016 11:02 PM

Feb 2016
Dishonest said:

Re:zero isn't about the fight scenes. Nor is any anime (unless the appeal is Art > Plot) so I don't get what you mean in that last part.. But, I'm not gonna be making posts like this about every anime, no. This anime is a special case because you have people that love the show, then those who complain about show being over hyped, then go to overly put it down, giving it scores between 1 and four. Hypocrisy at its best. I admit there is zero (hue hue puns) rewatch value, but the show definitely was amazing. I went into it at first thinking that it was some copy cat anime, following the trend and failing miserably, but I couldn't be more wrong. Plot twist after plot twist, the anime just mercilessly tore at the main character -Subaru- and it was horrific to see. Your heart strings are being tugged all the way. It's a show for sadists and masochists alike.

Then there's shows like Gintama. I gave it a try and another, and a few more. It was awful every time. 50 episodes in and I still couldn't understand why something so horrible was so loved.
It was beyond terrible. The comedy was horrible (I'm sorry Gintama fans), the animations were average, the plot didn't make sense most the time. It was awful. I'm not going to question it though. I understand that some things I won't be able to understand. I don't like it, but that's just my opinion and I have to leave it at that.

There's sides we choose, and anime we all enjoy, may it be this or that, there's always someone on each side, but this one gets some extremes. People are stark raving mad at this anime. The top review is a score of 3. Let me reiterate. Someone thought that this anime was below even this- atrocity *exaggeration* What's making people go this crazy about it? There are some pretty bad anime at the top, but they get no where near as much hate. Sure hate gets thrown around, but the hate for re:zero is abnormal. It went outside the norm and held its own. We have a useless main character who suffers trauma and trauma again, he fails and fails and gives up and tries again. He's not a badass, he's not strong or particularly smart. He's a former NEET. An average kid placed in a not so average situation and the viewer gets to witness if he can rise up to the challenge.

My point is–
This anime is good, but it seems like it's getting so much hate, simply for being popular. What's the reason? Many other top anime just pass on by and people accept it, but it looks like people took re:zero as an excuse to ride the hype train or the hate train.

Edit: I post, just to get my answer.
EternalSerenity said:
Overhyped shows by nature will always have a hate mob. I think the reason for this is as people buy into the hype and are disappointed, they will probably over-hate the show.

As someone who watched it from episode 1 without having people hype or hate it up for me, I thought it was just decent. I liked the first half and a few episodes in the second half, but I hated how ridiculous the villain was and how he constantly sucked the drama out of every scene he was involved in. Last 2 or 3 episodes were decent though. I also didn't like how unfocused the story was, but I understand it's the first season of a very long story, so I give that a pass. Nothing amazing, but certainly not the worst thing ever.

I had watched the anime before the hype as well, so it was very good once I got into it. It wasn't the most organized plot and I can understand what people may dislike in it, but it was very much enjoyable as well as satisfying IMO. The ranking? I think it is what it is. It'll die down eventually, but I think it is definitely deserving of its praise. (A rank between 100-200 would suit it better though) I just wish people would stop throwing it in the trash, simply because of hype. Hype and the anime are two very separate things.

Reading through the comments, it seems another reason might be due to people not knowing where the focus lies, but just as others have said, this show revolves around foreshadowing. This is merely the setup for much more. With this being the first 3 arcs of 12, there's more than enough time to focus on every individual thing. Season one is the gathering and preparation of ingredients; Everything after season one is the cooking. This is the foundation so not much would look clear, but once everything starts being built off each other and put together, a clear image of what the goal is for the series will be clear. That is, if they don't royally destroy re:zero in the process with bad pacing and such.
xMazzySep 24, 2016 11:20 PM
“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.”
Sep 24, 2016 11:30 PM

Apr 2013
If you really want to know what people dislike about the show so much, maybe you should read the reviews.
Sep 25, 2016 12:14 AM

Feb 2015
MazzySenpai said:
I understand that it's far from it, but why the hate? All the reviews seems so exaggerated. Someone went so far as to call it an "Over hyped catastrophe"

I was going to write a review in praise of it, but I was too busy to watch the final episode on the day it aired, and if you don't submit a review within 6-12 hours of the final episode airing, then no-one will ever see it.

The main reason some people couldn't resonate with it is that they considered the characters too difficult to relate to (heaven forbid the lead character of a shounen series NOT be a gary stu self-insert for a change!), which in turn meant that the heavy psychological aspect of the series went over their heads: i.e. they thought it was just 'edgy' for the sake of it.

Coming from someone who gave it a 9/10, my only real gripe was

I'm disappointed in the overwhelming number of poorly justified negative reviews which made it to the top of the pile though. Sort of makes me wish I'd submitted a review in time.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 25, 2016 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
MazzySenpai said:
Dishonest said:

Re:zero isn't about the fight scenes. Nor is any anime (unless the appeal is Art > Plot) so I don't get what you mean in that last part.. But, I'm not gonna be making posts like this about every anime, no. This anime is a special case because you have people that love the show, then those who complain about show being over hyped, then go to overly put it down, giving it scores between 1 and four. Hypocrisy at its best. I admit there is zero (hue hue puns) rewatch value, but the show definitely was amazing. I went into it at first thinking that it was some copy cat anime, following the trend and failing miserably, but I couldn't be more wrong. Plot twist after plot twist, the anime just mercilessly tore at the main character -Subaru- and it was horrific to see. Your heart strings are being tugged all the way. It's a show for sadists and masochists alike.

Then there's shows like Gintama. I gave it a try and another, and a few more. It was awful every time. 50 episodes in and I still couldn't understand why something so horrible was so loved.
It was beyond terrible. The comedy was horrible (I'm sorry Gintama fans), the animations were average, the plot didn't make sense most the time. It was awful. I'm not going to question it though. I understand that some things I won't be able to understand. I don't like it, but that's just my opinion and I have to leave it at that.

There's sides we choose, and anime we all enjoy, may it be this or that, there's always someone on each side, but this one gets some extremes. People are stark raving mad at this anime. The top review is a score of 3. Let me reiterate. Someone thought that this anime was below even this- atrocity *exaggeration* What's making people go this crazy about it? There are some pretty bad anime at the top, but they get no where near as much hate. Sure hate gets thrown around, but the hate for re:zero is abnormal. It went outside the norm and held its own. We have a useless main character who suffers trauma and trauma again, he fails and fails and gives up and tries again. He's not a badass, he's not strong or particularly smart. He's a former NEET. An average kid placed in a not so average situation and the viewer gets to witness if he can rise up to the challenge.

My point is–
This anime is good, but it seems like it's getting so much hate, simply for being popular. What's the reason? Many other top anime just pass on by and people accept it, but it looks like people took re:zero as an excuse to ride the hype train or the hate train.

Edit: I post, just to get my answer.
EternalSerenity said:

I had watched the anime before the hype as well, so it was very good once I got into it. It wasn't the most organized plot and I can understand what people may dislike in it, but it was very much enjoyable as well as satisfying IMO. The ranking? I think it is what it is. It'll die down eventually, but I think it is definitely deserving of its praise. (A rank between 100-200 would suit it better though) I just wish people would stop throwing it in the trash, simply because of hype. Hype and the anime are two very separate things.

Reading through the comments, it seems another reason might be due to people not knowing where the focus lies, but just as others have said, this show revolves around foreshadowing. This is merely the setup for much more. With this being the first 3 arcs of 12, there's more than enough time to focus on every individual thing. Season one is the gathering and preparation of ingredients; Everything after season one is the cooking. This is the foundation so not much would look clear, but once everything starts being built off each other and put together, a clear image of what the goal is for the series will be clear. That is, if they don't royally destroy re:zero in the process with bad pacing and such.

This anime is good, but it seems like it's getting so much hate, simply for being popular. What's the reason?
I seriously want to know do re:zero fans rehearse this sentence???.It's becoming cringe,wherever i go in any side of internet the only argument i see from re:zero fans is 'You hate it because it's popular'
ultravigoSep 25, 2016 12:41 AM
Sep 25, 2016 1:07 AM

Feb 2016
The only thing i could complain about re zero is the random evocation of subaru in this new world... i mean for now it hasn t been answered so no problem i think there will be a reason .. So it s a 10 for me NOW.. But if at the end we ll discover it s a bullshit my score will drop a lot
Sep 25, 2016 1:13 AM

Feb 2014
Addressing the lack of focus... to me at least, the first season was all about introductions into the world and characters, and most importantly developing Subaru. Subaru's character development was the number one purpose of this season. He was not ready when he first came to the new world, but now he can finally be the character that can lead the series into the future. (This first season reminds me of AoT's first season, it's just introductions to everything, it's not even getting into the meat of the plot yet, but one thing Re:Zero did much better is developing the main character.)

And this show has heavy foreshadow. Each character introduction and plot point introduced is introduced for a reason. This season gave gave us a lot of things to look at and think about whether it's the election or the seven sins, the bottom line is that there is a lot of things going on besides Subaru's journey and I think the author wants you to think about the bigger picture, which is why there is so much foreshadow. I have no doubt it all gets addressed eventually, 11 arcs? We're in it for the long haul ladies and gents.

I for one love that since it makes the world a lot more interesting. Hunter x Hunter did that too with making the story seem much bigger than just Gon's journey.
Sep 25, 2016 1:18 AM

Aug 2013
MazzySenpai said:
I understand that Re:zero isn't perfect. I understand that it's far from it, but why the hate? All the reviews seems so exaggerated. Someone went so far as to call it an "Over hyped catastrophe"

I agree that, it is overhyped, but still enjoyable nonetheless. With a rocky start and pretty repetitive theme, it still had me waiting for the next episode every week. That said, people are giving it threes and fours, rating it lower than even Seikon no Qwaser, an anime about suckin' tits to get power, which is just appaling (no offense if you actually do like that anime).

It's like you either hate it with all your being, or love it. People keep calling it over-hyped, but just look at the hate, it's complete hypocrisy!! Urgh! So I wanna know. What is it that people hate about it so much? *I'm genuinely asking*

And I mean, what RUINS it so much for you to even give it a one?

Why the hate?let me tell you.
1-Too much hype and spoilers=many will give it a try and will be disappointed(I knew what was happening up to episode 15 before even watching it just from the pictures themselves).
2-Cancerous waifu wars.
3-Cringe worthy MC.
Other reasons are not sufficient enough to bring all the hate but it got so much attention in a very short time and that's a big plus for White Fox whether the show is good or not.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Sep 25, 2016 1:26 AM

Jul 2015
i dont care about what others think about this serie
personally , i hate this serie because of the idiot mc who rejected the best girl
the first 15 ep was good btw
Sep 25, 2016 1:45 AM

Dec 2015
Its a series that u either hate or love.
I enjoyed it to the fullest :p
Sep 25, 2016 1:46 AM

Sep 2009
Re:Zero isn't actually overhyped though, it's over-waifued.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 25, 2016 1:55 AM

Oct 2015
It's OK, not really that great as people make it out to be, first few episode were really great and after that, well he it became really repititive and it seemed liked the writer ran out of good ideas that will work better than what was already written.
Sep 25, 2016 3:22 AM

Apr 2015
takenMalUsername said:

It's not that there is no focus but that the focus is a dynamic one defined by the direct focalization through Subaru.

What this entire introduction and prologue part of the story ( Arc 1-3 ) does is to create some sort of "neo- sekaikei"

Part of sekaikei fiction are the close first-order relationships which in the end are what determine the protagonists well being. And if sekaikei expresses one thing clearly then it is that the protagonist's well being is what determines the well being of the world.

What Re:Zero does with these first 3 arcs is generating and deepening these first-order relationships that are and will be an essential part for Subaru's character as a whole and the entire narrative to work.

I think you are also majorly misunderstanding what the royal election stands for. The whole royal election is some sort of symbolic middle ground. First and foremost it's introducing and setting up a future plot line which brings me back to my thesis that this season is one big set up.

But what is far more interesting is the fact that the royal elections function as a middle ground that reminds us - Hey there are alien institutions that function unrelated to Subaru's presence. There are interpersonal connections, political and religious institutions and movements within the world.

For this start of the story the meaning behind the royal election is a lot more symbolic than literal.

In that regard the development we experience throughout the first 3 arcs is that Re:Zero sets up these independent middle grounds as some sort of scaffolding to rank these first-order relationship that the middle ground turns into just to further tighten them throughout the narrative. This eventually plunges Subaru and with this us too into a bigger net of connections and plotlines.

On another note a big theme for these first 3 arcs was also the conceptualization of ones self. A big point that episode 18 eventually made painfully clear was that Subaru is unable to register a place where he belongs to and the reset mechanic that funnily enough is also in the title gives us a general idea that what we have at hand here is what some would call a "Zero to Hero" story.

Maybe this helps you figuring out what these first 3 arcs did in a clearer context.

To word it in a short sentence. Re:Zero started within the negative and set up for Subaru to start at the Zero mark. It set up what is necessary in the long process that Zero to Hero stories usually entail.

About the white whale. Well the white whale functions was a way for Subaru to reintegrate into the collective system and turn the symbolic middle ground into first-order relationship ( see Crusch, Anastasia, Willhelm etc ). The first-order relationship were then necessary to defeat the Arch Sinbishop Sloth who Subaru has a way more personal relationship with. He's the manifestation of his stagnation, his grief, his pain and in the end what sets him free from the shackles that is his past. On top of that I don't know where you got this but it was clearly mentioned that Sloth is merely a little fish in a big pawn so the Witch Cult being defeated it far from true.
Sep 25, 2016 3:39 AM

Feb 2016
Omfg the ppl who rated low this show only cause subaru rejected rem are cancerous ... i know rem is a lot better than emilia but hey all the things subabu did are For emilia s safeness From the fucking beginning.. he couldn t just let her die and btw if emilia dies Puck---> Lol
Sep 25, 2016 3:44 AM

Jul 2015
kingfroggy said:
Omfg the ppl who rated low this show only cause subaru rejected rem are cancerous ... i know rem is a lot better than emilia but hey all the things subabu did are For emilia s safeness From the fucking beginning.. he couldn t just let her die and btw if emilia dies Puck---> Lol

when the best girl lose and the mc forget about everything she does for him .... pathetic and disgusting
Sep 25, 2016 3:53 AM

Apr 2016
The hate stems from the bad story, the mostly underutilized characters they often disappear for little reason, and for just being a weak show despite good directing. Not saying they it was awful, but it wasn't good. The hate has been there, but now, us critics get to share our negative views on the series with the world which a surprising amount of people agree with. Besides, despite this, it still an a crazy high MAL score, beating out a fantasy/psychological/action show that trumps Re:Zero in every way, Fate/Zero (both seasons).
Sep 25, 2016 3:53 AM

Feb 2015
When people only talk about waifus and best girls and whatever, then you know the plot can't be all that amazing.... From what I've seen Re Zero is your average SAO clone with extra edgyness attached to it.
AshitaNoJonasSep 25, 2016 4:01 AM
Sep 25, 2016 4:12 AM

Apr 2016
This is just a generic, edgy isekai trash tho.
Sep 25, 2016 4:17 AM

Feb 2016
tragedydesu said:
kingfroggy said:

when the best girl lose and the mc forget about everything she does for him .... pathetic and disgusting

I know i know i m still crying for what rem did for subaru especially in ep 15 :'( but Subaru is kinda obsessed by emilia and u have to count subaru died 3 times killed by Rem :P don t forget about it..
Sep 25, 2016 4:43 AM

Sep 2014
Honestly the Anime for it self is not perfect. We really dont have any plot at the end other then "save emilia" and "dont die".
But the world, the characters, I simply love all of it. And another big point is, the author actually cares for his franchise and doesnt leaves it in the dust like other ones. I really hope that all of re zero gets animated. Its been way to long since we actually had storys told properly in an anime without original content to give some way of end.

People are just pissed off that they dont love the show as much as others do, see they rate it higher then they would and then create hate because they want to find whatever reason to complain about.
Also most people dont understand the meaning of word like "generic" or "average".
And dont forget MAL ratings mean shit, because japanese people have sometimes a completely different taste. And we dont matter ;/
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 25, 2016 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
Nicely put by Fappa.
Sep 25, 2016 5:30 AM

Feb 2016

Why would you be talking about fight scenes in Re: Zero(which are meh btw)? I was just saying that Qwaser might have some redeeming qualities.
Usually people respond to the last post made by the person, i think you should reply to my 3rd post not the 1st but w/e. Youre criticizing Gintama(like many others) and its the same way around with Re: Zero.
I dont think a show should be justified by being a prequel for the rest, if it needs 25 eps just to 'start' the story and cant stand on its own, then theres some serious narrative problems.
Also idk where your comparisons to Nendo no Tatakai or Seikon no Qwaser come from?
SpaghettiSpikeSep 25, 2016 5:37 AM

Sep 25, 2016 6:18 AM
May 2015
The main problem I see is pride of the reviewers. People enjoy the show a lot but are not sure why, and since they feel a need to justify themselves they go spewing all sorts of buzzwords like "character development" "psychological" "deconstruction". This is first and foremost to make themselves seem more respectable for liking the show.

Then Elitist or people who just don't like this kind of show come and read all the bullshit self justification and they get triggered real hard. Again this is pride bullshit, tho this is more like "you have shit taste, therefore I am better". This behavior triggers the first group and we have a loop.

Do I think Re: Zero is deserving of it's praise?

I loved re zero, most entertaining anime I have ever watched. How it did that I know to a limited extend, but not to such an extend that I would write a full on review. But it did indeed achieve that and deserves praise for it. But without being concrete I will say a lot of praise is inaccurate and undeserved because it's over thinking, pretty words, or over praising a certain aspect of the anime because it sounds deep, even if it was something simpler like I dunno, a soundtrack or facial expression that made the scene.

Hate feels overdone too, because the anime is by no means objectively bad, it's simply just not for certain people which would be:

1. People who don't like Subaru
2. People who don't like simple characters(anyone besides Subaru)
3. People who have a very strong need to logic and explanation
4. People who dont like RTB.

To me and many other people who liked the show, these are not "flaws" we liked the show despite, they are completely false or non-issues that went right over our heads, and hence the criticism is purely subjective.
Sep 25, 2016 6:38 AM

Jul 2013
The first half deserves the praise.

The second half... not so much.
Sep 25, 2016 7:05 AM

Jan 2015
SenpaiJay98 said:
If we get a full adaption... then yes it deserves the hype, but if this is the only season then it is just a good show
So it gets even better than Arc 3? Goddamn...
Sep 25, 2016 7:10 AM
Jan 2013
Eh the hate is too dumb.Good old dishonest beta shaming again.

It had proper pacing,and watching him at least put in the effort to solve the task at hand using mere human power and intelligence(not much but still),makes it worthwhile.

Sep 25, 2016 7:45 AM

Aug 2015
Not hyped show I didn't like -> meh, average, rate 5 and move on.

Hyped show I didn't like -> OMG worst shit ever, rate 1 and rant at every possible opportunity.

That's how it seems at times. People are a lot harsher when it comes to popular stuff. I do understand that sentiment, though those who go out of their way to declare their hatred for some popular anime are quite annoying.
Sep 25, 2016 8:19 AM
Nov 2015
I just finished first half, It's very good man. 8/10
Sep 25, 2016 8:22 AM

Sep 2009
The show had too much waifu advertisement for most plebs to handle, which is why they care enough to praise it, complain about how it's overrated, or complain about the creator choosing the wrong waifu, or complain about the people who are complaining.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 25, 2016 8:36 AM

May 2016
Fappa said:
takenMalUsername said:

On top of that I don't know where you got this but it was clearly mentioned that Sloth is merely a little fish in a big pawn so the Witch Cult being defeated it far from true.

The reason I said that was because Sloth was the final boss for the anime. Sure he might be the weakest of whats to come next, but I'm watching the anime not the source material. In terms of the anime, I feel Sloth could have been more threatening for the ending of the anime.
I feel the anime should be able to stand as its own. What people have been saying is the anime is only the prologue, so without the rest of the story, some part feel out of place. If the rest of the story gets adapted then I would take back some of my complaints.
I'm anime-only casual so I don't really care for the source material. To use another anime, Shokugeki. I hate Erina, but people she gets better and devloped in the manga. I'm not reading the manga, so why should that affect my current exprience. All it does is let me know it gets better if it gets adapted.

I do have a question, so you're saying the rest of the story will have a clearer focus or would it still be like arcs 1-3?

p.s Hi again
Sep 25, 2016 8:48 AM

Apr 2014
JonasTheJay said:
When people only talk about waifus and best girls and whatever, then you know the plot can't be all that amazing.... From what I've seen Re Zero is your average SAO clone with extra edgyness attached to it.

I know you're doing this to provoke the fans and get a reaction out of them but I'm genuinely curious what makes you think the series is a SAO clone even though you haven't even watched it?
Sep 25, 2016 9:16 AM

Feb 2015
Z4k said:
JonasTheJay said:

I know you're doing this to provoke the fans and get a reaction out of them but I'm genuinely curious what makes you think the series is a SAO clone even though you haven't even watched it?

I have seen the first few episodes, I simply didn't put in my list (I probably will if I end up watching the whole thing one day). From what I've seen and from what people told me it has almost exactly the same ingredients as SAO:
-a moody teenager gets transported in a fantasy world
-the world is generic as fuck without any world building
-he gets his own harem (Emilia is pretty much the Asuna of this series)
-all sorts of weird otaku fetishes (lolis, traps etc in this case)

The only major difference is this time loop thing and overdramatic "death" scenes. What makes it so different from SAO, Grimgar and all that stuff in your opinion?
AshitaNoJonasSep 25, 2016 9:21 AM
Sep 25, 2016 9:57 AM

Jul 2010
I don't care how much sarcasm you can put into your review. I don't care how much of an elitist, edgy, special snowflake, hipster you are. I don't care how many animes you have watched to call this one unoriginal.

Re:Zero is perfect and those who dispraise it should just get a spanking. I don't understand people who talk so much about the things they hate. If you hate it so much, just let it pass you. Why put people who deserve to watch it to doubt. Let people feel this goodness.

This anime having reviews with a score of 1 proves that the hate towards it is unjust. But, people like sarcastic reviews. So you win, hipsters.

takenMalUsername said:

What is your favourite anime's focus? For example, Baccano, or Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou? I think @Fappa described it very well but I will just write it in easy to understand words for you.

Plot, Setting, and Character. These are the most essential elements for a story to exist. I think Re:Zero does these three excellently in all manners. There are more elements to a story like theme. Re:Zero may not have a theme at all (yet, maybe we are still in the worldbuilding phase). But, you bringing this up as a flaw is just digging too deep

And, the royal selection is part of the setting, not the plot.
OonokamiSep 25, 2016 10:22 AM
Sep 25, 2016 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
@JonasTheJay

=_=... Well:

1) White-haired Kaneki is more to your liking? If not, then the usual, right? Yeah...
2) There was some word building, but not much- like, what do they use as transport, and some rare communication devices... The magic, that's drawn through 'Gate's existing in each person... History about Satella, who is a powerful witch that's 'drained half the world dry' - and the dragon, elder and a hero that've helped seal her... But there's more, still.
3) Not a harem. Emilia only became aware of Subaru's feelings in the last episode. It was only Rem that fell in love with him - and when he even didn't, with her - he has been only interested in Emilia. Subaru is quite virtuous, and faithful to his love for her.
4) It's the art style that makes them appear too gorgeous... There's Beatrice that's small, but isn't human - some magical being that's lived...long. She's really mature, but is extrovert with those she likes. Subaru though, isn't close enough with her yet, for that. Felt is...defiant. Although she's young, she knows how to put a strong front when necessary - and prefers to keep it up, normally. But oh, no worries, because the protagonist doesn't impresses them much - he's not believed to be deserving. ... Not only, but they've their own lives, and barely have time for him. (And as result, they don't appear much... especially Felt.) The twin maids? Their and the aforementioned characters' clothes? They're living in a mansion, so yeah - that tells much about their current standing in their kingdom's society. It's only natural, then, that they dress accordingly.
Sep 25, 2016 10:19 AM

Apr 2014
JonasTheJay said:
I have seen the first few episodes, I simply didn't put in my list (I probably will if I end up watching the whole thing one day). From what I've seen and from what people told me it has almost exactly the same ingredients as SAO:

Well you're pretty proving you haven't watched the show and your criticisms are based on false or illogical statements people that told you.
-a moody teenager gets transported in a fantasy world

Except the first episode shows he isn't moody teenager. We don't see him showing sudden bouts of gloominess or sullenness.
-the world is generic as fuck without any world building

How is it generic and why is it bad? And it has some world building even if it's not much. We know a bit of the history of their world such as 400 years earlier, Satella killed six other Witches of Sin and nearly destroyed the world. Later on she got sealed by a Dragon, the Sword Saint, and Sage. Even regarding the Kingdom of Lugnica, we know that it is the easternmost nation in the continent and that all of the members of the royal family are dead and the Sage Council is in control for the time being.
-he gets his own harem (Emilia is pretty much the Asuna of this series)

He doesn't have a harem and Emilia isn't in love with him like Asuna was with Kirito.
-all sorts of weird otaku fetishes (lolis, traps etc in this case)

Hunter x Hunter has loli, shotas and traps. Seems kind of ironic you're complaining about the otaku fetishes that's also there in your favorite show. Does this mean Re:zero is HxH clone now?
The only major difference is this time loop thing and overdramatic "death" scenes. What makes it so different from SAO, Grimgar and all that stuff in your opinion?

Many things.

- It's a really well done thriller series where we see Subaru at his lowest and him learning from his mistakes before he overcomes an obstacle.
- Psychological effects of time resets
- Using an intentionally flawed MC to drive the story
- Subaru's character arc.
- Diverse cast

I can list more but most of them are really just my own personal preferences I try to seek in shows.
Z4KSep 25, 2016 10:23 AM
Sep 25, 2016 11:02 AM

Feb 2015
@Z4k

"Except the first episode shows he isn't moody teenager. We don't see him showing sudden bouts of gloominess or sullenness"

Ok, maybe moody wasn't the right term. But you probably know what kind of character I mean anyway: someone who is cool and cynical enough to stand out from the crowd, but generic enough so all otakus can identify with him. Your typical LN main character.

How is it generic and why is it bad? And it has some world building even if it's not much. We know a bit of the history of their world such as 400 years earlier, Satella killed six other Witches of Sin and nearly destroyed the world. [...]"

Like I said I haven't watched the whole thing, only the first few eps.

"He doesn't have a harem"

Subaru is surrounded by pretty girls and a number of them seem to have a crush on him.

"Hunter x Hunter has loli, shotas and traps. Seems kind of ironic you're complaining about the otaku fetishes that's also there in your favorite show. Does this mean Re:zero is HxH clone now? "

The characters in HxH aren't fetishized otaku fap material though.

@Rehls

" White-haired Kaneki is more to your liking? If not, then the usual, right? Yeah"

What does that even mean? I don't even like Tokyo Ghoul...
Sep 25, 2016 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
Wiziliz said:
SenpaiJay98 said:
So it gets even better than Arc 3? Goddamn...
Arc 5 would be Marineford level Hype
Sup...
Sep 25, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2014
JonasTheJay said:
Ok, maybe moody wasn't the right term. But you probably know what kind of character I mean anyway: someone who is cool and cynical enough to stand out from the crowd, but generic enough so all otakus can identify with him. Your typical LN main character.

Subaru is neither cool nor is he cynical enough to stand out from the crowd. In fact there's a lot of evidence in the anime which shows the opposite of what you're claiming.
Like I said I haven't watched the whole thing, only the first few eps.

Then why do you make such a baseless claim? Are you trying to fit in with the cool kids by bashing the show despite not having an informed opinion?
Subaru is surrounded by pretty girls and a number of them seem to have a crush on him.

Being surrounded by girls =/= Harem

In fact, he interacts with the male cast as much as the female ones. Not to mention, there's only one female character in the anime who's in love with the MC which means there is no harem.
The characters in HxH aren't fetishized otaku fap material though.

Neither are the ones in re:zero but you wouldn't know since you haven't watched it right?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2016

631 by XionnaMing »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

715 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2072 by Nanami0007 »»
Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2016

538 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

510 by XionnaMing »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.