Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2016 7:59 AM

Nov 2015
I've been faced with the word 'cultural appropriation' a lot these day and I just looked it up;
Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of another culture.

That's it.
I don't see why this is an issue.
I'd honestly be flattered if my culture were to be represented and appreciated by another culture.

This, however, doesn't seem to apply to everyone. In fact, I've only ever seen cultural appropriation being blamed on white people.

Now I know that I may be going off on a tangent here but bear with me;
This video (optional to watch):

Somehow lead me to this garbage:

Why does this even matter?
I've heard of people not being able to let go of the past, but that is usually the case when the person was actually alive to remember it in the first place..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2016 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't woohooo there I answered your question

Now let's end this thread before it even starts
Sep 24, 2016 8:14 AM

May 2016
It matters because it's a wildcard people can use to profess their victimhood :v
Sep 24, 2016 8:16 AM
Mar 2011
Kotoneko-chan said:
It matters because it's a wildcard people can use to profess their victimhood :v

this os what zionist do that is fact.
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 24, 2016 8:29 AM

Apr 2016
It doesn't really matter.... But cultural diversity is bad.
Sep 24, 2016 8:31 AM

Nov 2015
UnpopularAnime said:

Why do you think cultural diversity is bad?
Sep 24, 2016 8:36 AM

Apr 2016
Gesu- said:
UnpopularAnime said:

Cause it can't work. I think I worded that wrong. I mean one country having 20 different cultures. It just destroys each culture, or blends them all into one.

I'm Canadian and Canada is described as being a mosaic - meaning immigrants keep their culture, and America is a melting pot - immigrants assimilate and are now American.

But it's the same in both countries. Any immigrants turn into Canadians, act like Canadians and everything. And after an immigrant has kids, his kids will be 100% Canadian.

So yea cultural diversity isn't bad, but having open borders allowing all cultures to merge is bad, cause it destroys cultural diversity.
Sep 24, 2016 8:38 AM

Sep 2009
If there is a possibility for something to be complained about, you know some niqqas gonna do it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 24, 2016 8:41 AM

Nov 2009
It's a stupid concept. Especially since most aspects of a culture's "heritage" were simply appropriated from another culture.
Sep 24, 2016 9:46 AM

Jan 2016
when we forget the past we are doomed to repeat it
Sep 24, 2016 9:48 AM
Mar 2011
Pirating_Ninja said:
It's a stupid concept. Especially since most aspects of a culture's "heritage" were simply appropriated from another culture.

not relly since language isa big part of culture and there are a few lanague isolates
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 24, 2016 9:51 AM

May 2013
White people have done a lot of fucked up shit man, and those historical patterns are persisting to this day. Weird, I know, but people who weren't actually enslaved in the 1800's are still mad about slavery! Go figure!

This is why it's really important to learn about historical oppression and not forget about it simply because it's convenient.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 24, 2016 9:54 AM

Nov 2015
UnpopularAnime said:
Gesu- said:

Cause it can't work. I think I worded that wrong. I mean one country having 20 different cultures. It just destroys each culture, or blends them all into one.

I'm Canadian and Canada is described as being a mosaic - meaning immigrants keep their culture, and America is a melting pot - immigrants assimilate and are now American.

But it's the same in both countries. Any immigrants turn into Canadians, act like Canadians and everything. And after an immigrant has kids, his kids will be 100% Canadian.

If the preservation of a culture is your concern the culture that the immigrants belong to is unharmed and the culture of the nation they immigrated remains intact as well, unless we're talking about mass immigration like in countries like Sweden and Germany..
Sep 24, 2016 10:36 AM

Jan 2014
Some could site several reasons:

1. The idea of justice or revenge.
2. The idea that historical oppression leads to certain groups being more disadvantaged in the present.
3. The lack of resources a group may face due to historical colonialism.
4. The fact that some people look for any possible reason to be offended.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 24, 2016 10:41 AM

Jun 2014
Historical oppression doesn't matter, and cultural appropriation doesn't exist.

Sep 24, 2016 10:47 AM
Jun 2013
Gesu- said:
I've been faced with the word 'cultural appropriation' a lot these day and I just looked it up;
Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of another culture.

That's it.
I'd honestly be flattered if my culture were to be represented and appreciated by another culture.

This, however, doesn't seem to apply to everyone. In fact, I've only ever seen cultural appropriation being blamed on white people.

I've heard of people not being able to let go of the past, but that is usually the case when the person was actually alive to remember it in the first place..

Its a big deal . Look at how people in west are playing with yoga . They have made it a business and many people even go on to say that it was never Indian lol ^_^
Sep 24, 2016 10:47 AM

Aug 2016
Well, it's good knowing about certain historical oppresions so that if it happens again the right action can be taken (as with any other history), but other than that it honestly doesn't matter. Sure, bad things happen sometimes, but you can't keep circle-jerking it for attention and benefits. It happened and it's time to keep moving forward.
Sep 24, 2016 10:52 AM

Jul 2009
It matters so we can learn from past mistakes, but it's so annoying when people keep bringing it up for the wrong reasons.

Like wth are you supposed to feel sorry for what your ancestors did a hundred years ago? You don't even know them at all.
Sep 24, 2016 10:55 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
Gesu- said:

That's it.

Its a big deal . Look at how people in west are playing with yoga . They have made it a business and many people even go on to say that it was never Indian lol ^_^

Dammit, you too ashish?
As if yoga classes don't exist in India?
And I'm pretty sure they use it for business too yes?
Sep 24, 2016 11:02 AM
Jun 2013
Gesu- said:
ashishkaull said:

Dammit, you too ashish?
As if yoga classes don't exist in India?
And I'm pretty sure they use it for business too yes?

^_^ The idea of patents shows the insecure mind of humans . Some people cling to past , some don't . Some care , Some don't . Anything that betters humanity should be adopted but when the creator sees his rights over his own creation under threat , he goes nuts about it ^_^

In India they have made Yoga communal >_< lol what should we do about the insecurity of the people ^_^
Sep 24, 2016 1:24 PM
Aug 2016
The short answer is that the past is set of reasons or causes for how the present is. So unsurprisingly, how people are in the present is shaped by the past. I haven't & don't plan on watching the videos you linked, so I'm just speaking for myself.

So why do white people get blamed from cultural appropriation a lot? It's not difficult: white people (viz a viz European nations & the US) invaded & conquered a bunch if other countries (this has been a huge influence on the current state of affairs), genocides the native populations of the Americas, and enslaved a bunch of African peoples for several centuries. But whites are hardly the only ones who get called out for cultural appropriation. The Japanese can be, Arabs have done it, etc etc.

The problem with cultural appropriation is likewise simple. My own view is that it treats certain aspects of other group's identities as if they were costumes, or else as things to laugh at. A simple example would be when white people, say, wear Native American garb, dance & you they're "doing a rain dance". Aside from just being insensitive, it would be akin someone from the other side of the world putting on a mock funeral, wearing formal clothing and saying "I'm talking to dead people". It's just unreasonably rude, and makes out cultural traditions to be something to joke about, when the person often has little or no understanding of said traditions.

This extends into more blatantly unethical instances, such as blackface (which also had actors make use of exaggerated appropriations of African American mannerisms), but this has gotten longer than intended, so I'll stop here.
MindForgedSep 24, 2016 1:45 PM
Sep 24, 2016 2:41 PM

Apr 2012
Because some people still live in the past and victim hood comes with perks.
Sep 25, 2016 11:14 AM

Jan 2016
Historical oppression is completely irrelevant today. If it's not happening right now, why are people still complaining about it?

I see too many lazy asswipes using their race to say that they're oppressed, even though they live in quite a privileged time period and have no idea what real oppression is. Blacks especially do this by bringing up slavery. Anything is wrong in the black community? Racism and oppression by whites. Anybody brings up issues in the black community? They're a racist.
You are now breathing manually.
Sep 25, 2016 11:40 AM
Aug 2016
I tend to call people racist when I think they say racist things, but we'll get to that. Now, you are just being an ignorant asshole. You're argument basically says we should ignore history. After all, the way things were in the last don't have any effect on why things are the way they are currently... 😂

It's not just slavery. It's slavery, followed by Reconstruction-era bullshit (which also included the virtual return of slavery via mass imprisonment of blacks to get cheap labor), followed by Jim Crow, followed by the still existing "War on Drugs". And with the War on drugs specifically, it was created to be racist, according to a Nixon administration admin:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html

And no, blacks don't smoke marijuana more than whites, and yet are arrested 4-8 times more than whites for the same crime:

Now, I'm half-black, but I have no problem with people criticizing the black community. In fact, I know plenty of activists who manage to criticize the black community without being racist. The problem is that most people "criticizing" the black community tend to:

1) Try to ignore history so they can moralize about the superiority of their culture
2) Ignore how the law is actually enforced, so they can pretend everyone is equal before the law (in practice). This allows them to moralize about "Black culture" and how all the problems that black Americans face are the result of some inherent moral failing in their culture.
3) Say that they're not racist because they're criticizing "Black culture". All this ends up being is a proxy for race. "Black culture" for these people ends up being this transcendent core that someone explains all of the problems in that community. All the while, they say the exact crap that white racists have said for centuries.

Now are you racist? Your comment didn't leave me too optimistic in giving you the benefit of the doubt. But whatever, I don't care, because in the end you are simply wrong.
Sep 25, 2016 12:25 PM
Oct 2014
How strange, I wonder, Franchesca, why so many aspects of the American society stems from European civilization? This truly is a mystery to us. Damn, even your name comes from Europe, and the language you speak.

Sep 25, 2016 12:35 PM

Mar 2013
MindForged said:

Lmfao that victim complex. "I'm half black" how fucking convenient

The reason blacks get arrested more is because black communities have higher crime rates, which leads to more need for police, which makes it more likely that you will get arrested

Instead of blaming imaginary racism and oppression, maybe you should look at yourselves
Sep 25, 2016 1:26 PM

Oct 2012
cultural appropriation

Well the video goes into too much detail although I agree that it's impossible to have a permission of a "culture" (because, really, how do you define culture?) and that it's not really an appropriation since the people who've invented it have not lost the right to keep practicing/performing it..
People find problem with it in situations where the things that are being "borrowed" symbolize a thing that has much deeper meaning. For example the native American-ish headdress is not just a fashion item but rather something akin to a crown in the sense that the person wearing it has to earn the right to wear it. Think of something in your culture that would be offending if someone else used it in a shallow manner. If you were a high ranking member of an army would you be offended if someone used your uniform as a Halloween costume?.. well does it matter or not? I think it comes down to an individual and whether they take offense or not. so in that sense it's not a BIG DEAL but it could be depending on who you're dealing with.

historical oppression (?)

in my country, the Romani people (referred to as "gypsies" ) are discriminated against a lot.(to get an idea: read )
however in history they never had the status of slaves so I'm not sure if the term historical oppression can be applied here.? also, if anyone knows, does being a nation that has been occupied during a war for instance count as being oppressed? ..
in any case, history does matter (as someone said, to ideally learn from past mistakes) although dwelling on it is pointless. the line between those two is a fine one.

Sep 25, 2016 2:52 PM
Aug 2016
Don_Giovanni said:

Lmfao that victim complex. "I'm half black" how fucking convenient

How is it convenient? My point there was simply that I'm part black, yet I have no problem with people criticizing the black community (assuming that's what they're actually doing). In fact, I know people who manage to criticize the black community without being racist. Your comment makes no sense.

The reason blacks get arrested more is because black communities have higher crime rates, which leads to more need for police, which makes it more likely that you will get arrested

Instead of blaming imaginary racism and oppression, maybe you should look at yourselves

So I can see that I'm dealing with a brilliant mind here, so I'll take this slowly. You say blacks commit more crimes, but I already gave evidence as to why that's silly.

For one, FBI statistics cover crimes which were prosecuted. So crimes for which someone isn't arrested isn't going to be covered. It's well known that drug crimes account for a bit more than half of all arrests & imprisonments, and marijuana arrests account from about 52% of drug arrests. To directly refute you, the problem is that we KNOW that drug arrests are not proportional to drug usage. Black Americans use drugs slightly less than white Americans, and yet get arrested 4 times more than whites Americans for the same crime:

(Source: ACLU, "Marijuana By The Numbers")

And based on the data from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, we know that about 70% of convicted criminals return to doing crime. In other words, it's not surprising that black arrests are greater given A) Demonstrably racist arrests & B) The tendency (across all groups) towards recidivism.

I don't blame everything on racism. But likewise, I'm not so stupid as you as to claim racism is some imaginary force. You did exactly what I said racists tend to do: Be staunchly ignorant so that they (you) can moralize about another community.
Sep 25, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
So we don't go back to being idiotic and enslaving other human beings.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 25, 2016 3:30 PM

Mar 2013
MindForged said:

Yeah the problem is your propaganda graph only acknowledges one kind of crime which is marijuana possession, and ignores the much larger amount of violent crime in black communities. A higher amount of arrests for marijuana possession is just a side effect of needing a larger and more dilligent police force in those communities
Sep 25, 2016 4:23 PM
Aug 2016
Lol, how is it propaganda? I used the graph for marijuana for one obvious reason, which I stated in that post: Marijuana arrests account for 52% of all drug arrests, i.e. the majority.

So of course Im going to go with what is responsible for the majority of arrests. Your comment is merely making an unsubstantiated claim in the face of facts which contradicted your petulant narrative. Black people don't commit 4 to 8 times more crimes than white people, so your speculative claim doesn't even make sense here.
Sep 25, 2016 5:22 PM

Mar 2013
MindForged said:

None of the graphs you posted say that marijuana possession is responsible for the majority of arrests. They claim it's responsible for the majority of DRUG RELATED arrests.

But even assuming marijuana possession was the most common cause for arrest, that does not make it the largest problem. Violent crime is still the primary concern, a large amount of drug related arrests is simply a result of having a larger police force. If you want to argue against anything, argue against marijuana laws. But this has nothing to do with "racism".
Sep 25, 2016 5:42 PM

Feb 2016
xrockxz89 said:
White people have done a lot of fucked up shit man, and those historical patterns are persisting to this day. Weird, I know, but people who weren't actually enslaved in the 1800's are still mad about slavery! Go figure!

This is why it's really important to learn about historical oppression and not forget about it simply because it's convenient.

However, the slaves in America are not the only people in history to be kept as slaves. Many people, from parts of Europe, Africa, and Asia were kept as slaves by Arabs from the 7th through 20th centuries. Source.
The North African slave markets traded also in European slaves. The European slaves were acquired by Barbary pirates in slave raids on ships and by raids on coastal towns from Italy to Spain, Portugal, France, England, the Netherlands, and as far afield as Iceland. Men, women, and children were captured, to such a devastating extent that vast numbers of sea coast towns were abandoned. Ohio State University history Professor Robert Davis describes the white slave trade as minimized by most modern historians in his book Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500-1800 (Palgrave Macmillan).[63]

Davis estimates that 1 million to 1.25 million White Christian Europeans were enslaved in North Africa, from the beginning of the 16th century to the middle of the 18th, by slave traders from Tunis, Algiers, and Tripoli alone (these numbers do not include the European people which were enslaved by Morocco and by other raiders and traders of the Mediterranean Sea coast),[63] and roughly 700 Americans were held captive in this region as slaves between 1785 and 1815.[64] 16th- and 17th-century customs statistics suggest that Istanbul's additional slave import from the Black Sea may have totaled around 2.5 million from 1450 to 1700.[65] In the 1800s, the slave trade from Africa to the Islamic countries picked up significantly. When the European slave trade ended around the 1850s, the slave trade to the east picked up significantly only to be ended with European colonization of Africa around 1900.

So why are black Americans the only ones still going on about slavery?

If we all carried the guilt of things our ancestors had done, then none of us would be free of it and we would all be able to cry "OPPRESSION!" based on one thing or another.
CinamoSep 26, 2016 6:27 AM
Sep 25, 2016 6:17 PM

May 2013
Inly said:

they aren't.... a lot of people are still a bit sore about not only issues of slavery but of colonialism. I know it was a different generation, but that's just how it works! The historical trends continue...
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 25, 2016 6:31 PM

Feb 2016
xrockxz89 said:
Inly said:

they aren't.... a lot of people are still a bit sore about not only issues of slavery but of colonialism. I know it was a different generation, but that's just how it works! The historical trends continue...

A) Black people are the only people I see getting salty about the past.
B) Why is this the only piece of my entire paragraph of (albeit slightly inebriated) point that you chose to address?
Sep 25, 2016 6:57 PM

May 2013
Inly said:
xrockxz89 said:

A) Black people are the only people I see getting salty about the past.
B) Why is this the only piece of my entire paragraph of (albeit slightly inebriated) point that you chose to address?

I felt it was the most crucial point :/

I don't think black people are the only ones getting salty... i think different groups just express that in different ways...
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 25, 2016 6:57 PM
Aug 2016
Don_Giovanni said:

None of the graphs you posted say that marijuana possession is responsible for the majority of arrests. They claim it's responsible for the majority of DRUG RELATED arrests.

Sure those graphs didn't show it, but i.already explicitly mentioned that drug arrests account for about half of all arrests, so you are again simply not reading. The U.S. has the largest prison population on earth. Marijuana arrests alone account for about 1/4th of those arrests, and drug arrests generally account for about half of all arrests

Comparitvely, violent crime accounts for a much smaller portion of the total arrests than drug possession. The point I made was that going to jail almost always causes people to return to crime even for 1st time offenders.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the U.S recidivism rate (repeat criminals) is about 70%. So in other words, it's not surprising that more blacks end up in jail given that they're A) disproportionately arrested despite equal criminal offense (for drug crimes, we're most arrests come from), and B) Imprisonment tends to promote future criminal behavior, irrespective of race.

You claim it isn't racism, despite the fact that you clearly saw the disparity between blacks using marijuana slightly.less than whites, and yet across the entire U.S., blacks are arrested between 4 and 8 message whites.

So we have the same crime, roughly equal use rates, but absurdly disproportionate arrest rates. To claim racism doesn't play a significant role here is to simply an article of faith. One which ignores, for starters, the drug war. For crying out loud, the drug war has been explicitly stated to have had racist intentions by a Nixon admin, John Ehrlichman:

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html

But I'm sure you'll have a brilliant comeback about how an avowedly racist federal policy, over the course of 40 years, is just propaganda and that the blacks should just magically stop cops from enforcing the law in a racist manner.
Sep 25, 2016 7:30 PM

May 2012
It is good to understand history but so being consumed by something that happened years ago. People today act like it is 1960s. We should be more like the jews and move on. They are a very successful group of people who don't let history define them.
Sep 25, 2016 7:34 PM

Jun 2014
Nah it doesn't mean shit, they're just a bunch of generalizing dumbasses who create situations to make their lives harder

Assuming all white people come from the same background of, anglo-saxon white slave owners is beyond ignorant, not even considering the Irish, Italian, Polish, and other Catholic immigrants faced the same kind of discrimination in the 19th century that modern minorities deal with. As well as the majority of southerners working as farmers or sharecroppers, and only the upper class being plantation owners.

But nope, skin color equates to guilt and eternal shame in our past regardless of personal circumstances.

Yet generalizing a group like Hispanics would be unbelievable.

On the subject of appropriation, America was built upon it, we have no culture without it, we have advanced too far to look back now. It is irreversible and should be accepted, lying about ancestry however, is unacceptable, such as the incredibly high amount of southerners claiming Cherokee and Creek descendence so that they don't admit they originate from England.

Most countries don't actually care about cultural appropriation, especially if they're a smaller culture such as Caribbean or Latin American nations, they take it as a compliment that a more influential culture is taking interest in what they pride themselves in. Even in countries like Japan or Korea which are an often poked offender of those claiming cultural appropriation, seem to enjoy the spread of their culture. Most notably Korea would be a subject of cultural appropriation for taking so many aspects of black hip-hop culture into their fashion and music industry, but since they're yellow it's okay.
Sep 25, 2016 7:51 PM

Nov 2015
MindForged said:
I tend to call people racist when I think they say racist things, but we'll get to that. Now, you are just being an ignorant asshole. You're argument basically says we should ignore history. After all, the way things were in the last don't have any effect on why things are the way they are currently... 😂

It's not just slavery. It's slavery, followed by Reconstruction-era bullshit (which also included the virtual return of slavery via mass imprisonment of blacks to get cheap labor), followed by Jim Crow, followed by the still existing "War on Drugs". And with the War on drugs specifically, it was created to be racist, according to a Nixon administration admin:

And no, blacks don't smoke marijuana more than whites, and yet are arrested 4-8 times more than whites for the same crime:

Now, I'm half-black, but I have no problem with people criticizing the black community. In fact, I know plenty of activists who manage to criticize the black community without being racist. The problem is that most people "criticizing" the black community tend to:

1) Try to ignore history so they can moralize about the superiority of their culture
2) Ignore how the law is actually enforced, so they can pretend everyone is equal before the law (in practice). This allows them to moralize about "Black culture" and how all the problems that black Americans face are the result of some inherent moral failing in their culture.
3) Say that they're not racist because they're criticizing "Black culture". All this ends up being is a proxy for race. "Black culture" for these people ends up being this transcendent core that someone explains all of the problems in that community. All the while, they say the exact crap that white racists have said for centuries.

Now are you racist? Your comment didn't leave me too optimistic in giving you the benefit of the doubt. But whatever, I don't care, because in the end you are simply wrong.

>Asks honest question about why historical oppression even matters
>Called racist.

k

Besides, I didn't even mention the word 'black' in my post, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I'm 'criticizing' the 'black culture'.

Besides, that still doesn't explain why ''''''historically oppressed'''''' groups such as you lot need 'safe spaces' made for yourselves.
Sep 25, 2016 7:57 PM

May 2012
NovxM said:
PoeticJustice said:
It is good to understand history but so being consumed by something that happened years ago. People today act like it is 1960s. We should be more like the jews and move on.

The annual movie about the second world war and the fact that this community is pretty much "untouchable" is your definition of "moving on"?

making movies doesn't mean they can't move on. and they are not untouchable. Every day the palestinians are trying to kill the jewish people.
Sep 25, 2016 8:11 PM
Aug 2016
Gesu- said:

>Asks honest question about why historical oppression even matters
>Called racist.

k

Point out where I called you racist. I didnt. Hell, I even ended that post by saying:

MindForged said:

But whatever, I don't care, because in the end you are simply wrong.

Besides, I didn't even mention the word 'black' in my post, I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I'm 'criticizing' the 'black culture'.

For one, that post wasn't even responding to you. I was responding to the person above my post, @sobanoodle, who was talking about black Americans.

Besides, that still doesn't explain why ''''''historically oppressed'''''' groups such as you lot need 'safe spaces' made for yourselves.

1) Safe spaces aren't even relevant to anything I've said in this thread.

2) Nice use of quotes. They really supplement your argument.

3) I don't get the feeling you understand what a safe space is. Rather, I suspect what you've heard about safe spaces comes to down uncritically parroting what you've heard other people say. The short answer is that safe spaces are areas where people of (yes) disadvantaged groups can get together & discuss the problems they face in common. In other words, discussing things in a setting where the focus is on how to deal with shared issues, as opposed to debating people would deny the very existence of the problems they experience. It's more or less the same thing as Alcoholics Anonymous.
Sep 25, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2015
MindForged said:

Point out where I called you racist. I didnt.

Now are you racist? Your comment didn't leave me too optimistic in giving you the benefit of the doubt.

For one, that post wasn't even responding to you. I was responding to the person above my post, @sobanoodle, who was talking about black Americans.

Should've mentioned that.

[/quote]

1) Safe spaces aren't even relevant to anything I've said in this thread.

2) Nice use of quotes. They really supplement your argument.

3) I don't get the feeling you understand what a safe space is. Rather, I suspect what you've heard about safe spaces comes to down uncritically parroting what you've heard other people say. The short answer is that safe spaces are areas where people of (yes) disadvantaged groups can get together & discuss the problems they face in common. In other words, discussing things in a setting where the focus is on how to deal with shared issues, as opposed to debating people would deny the very existence of the problems they experience. It's more or less the same thing as Alcoholics Anonymous.[/quote]
Right, so I'm not sure what kind of safe spaces you've had interaction with, but I've been to this meet up for south and central asians and all they did was circle jerk about their culture and bitch and moan about so called 'micro-aggressions' that they were put through every few minutes. They hardly even tried to discussed any of the issues that they might've been facing.
Talking about issues regarding race is something they could've done (probably even better) without the provision of a safe space.
It was basically a pointless echo chamber.
Sep 26, 2016 12:28 AM

May 2015
Historical oppression DOES matter because every historical event has influence on today's events. Look how Germany is empty of Jews. Do you have Black people would've stayed in poverty if they weren't raised in slavery?

But cultural appropriation is bullshit. No culture is holy and deserves to be protected. A culture is a collection of ideas, and no culture is perfect. That's why they must be appropriated, dismantled, mocked, destroyed and replaced constantly.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 26, 2016 6:30 AM
Aug 2016
Gesu- said:
MindForged said:

Point out where I called you racist. I didnt.

Now are you racist? Your comment didn't leave me too optimistic in giving you the benefit of the doubt.

"Didn't leave me optimistic" is not "You are a racist", especially since immediately after that I said I didn't care either way.

Should've mentioned that.

Or you could pay attention. I responded to your OP in a post prior the one that has you in a tizzy.

Right, so I'm not sure what kind of safe spaces you've had interaction with, but I've been to this meet up for south and central asians and all they did was circle jerk about their culture and bitch and moan about so called 'micro-aggressions' that they were put through every few minutes. They hardly even tried to discussed any of the issues that they might've been facing.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you, given its the same drivel people repeat endlessly. But let's assume I'm being unfair; you could well be correct. And yet you'd still be wrong in pretending that your experience with one group tells you anything about all or most such groups. This is the very definition of a hasty generalization fallacy.

Talking about issues regarding race is something they could've done (probably even better) without the provision of a safe space.
It was basically a pointless echo chamber.

I've yet to see evidence of this being better done without a safe space (not that you seem to be accurately portraying a safe space to begin with).
Sep 26, 2016 6:31 AM

Feb 2016
xrockxz89 said:

I don't think black people are the only ones getting salty... i think different groups just express that in different ways...

Really? You felt the most crucial part of what I said wasn't "Everyone's been a dick to everyone else at some point in history, so any sense of inherited or cultural guilt as a result of that is ridiculous", but the part were I said black people get salty. OK.

Black people are the only ones I see getting salty about this. Them, and White Saviours who are so damn desperate to not be labelled racist that they will agree with any ridiculous thing tumblr social justice tells them to.
Sep 26, 2016 7:32 AM

Nov 2015
MindForged said:

"Didn't leave me optimistic" is not "You are a racist", especially since immediately after that I said I didn't care either way.

Ahh. The good ol' anti-insult.
Works every time doesn't it?

Or you could pay attention. I responded to your OP in a post prior the one that has you in a tizzy.

Pay attention to what?
There's nothing in that post that indicated that it was directed towards the user who posted above you.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you, given its the same drivel people repeat endlessly. But let's assume I'm being unfair; you could well be correct. And yet you'd still be wrong in pretending that your experience with one group tells you anything about all or most such groups. This is the very definition of a hasty generalization fallacy.

Yeah, sure, maybe not all safe spaces are like that.
But that one 3 hour long meetup didn't make a very good impression on me. That's all I can say about safe spaces.

I've yet to see evidence of this being better done without a safe space (not that you seem to be accurately portraying a safe space to begin with).

Most fox news debates are probably way more effective than safe spaces will ever be.
Try conveying a message out to an audience and take matters into your own hands instead of coddling yourselves and jerking each other off.
I mean how do expect to get anything without opposing opinions?

Besides, this argument amounts to nothing since the post wasn't meant for me anyway.
Try using the quote function next time..

TheBrainintheJar said:
Historical oppression DOES matter because every historical event has influence on today's events. Look how Germany is empty of Jews.

But is it okay for jews to hold resentment towards germans for what happened before any of them were even born?

But cultural appropriation is bullshit. No culture is holy and deserves to be protected. A culture is a collection of ideas, and no culture is perfect. That's why they must be appropriated, dismantled, mocked, destroyed and replaced constantly.

You don't need to dismantle older cultures to have a new/better one.
You can remove the more toxic or harmful parts and this way the culture evolves on its own along with the passage of time..
Sep 26, 2016 8:59 AM

May 2013
Inly said:
xrockxz89 said:

Really? You felt the most crucial part of what I said wasn't "Everyone's been a dick to everyone else at some point in history, so any sense of inherited or cultural guilt as a result of that is ridiculous", but the part were I said black people get salty. OK.

Black people are the only ones I see getting salty about this. Them, and White Saviours who are so damn desperate to not be labelled racist that they will agree with any ridiculous thing tumblr social justice tells them to.

Hah. Like yeah bro really. Reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyyyy
I CELEBRATE myself,
Sep 26, 2016 9:11 AM

Sep 2015
the oppression of 100 years ago cannot be used to show today's oppression. the perpetrators and victims are long gone so they cannot be punished or helped
Sep 26, 2016 10:00 AM

Jan 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Historical oppression DOES matter because every historical event has influence on today's events. Look how Germany is empty of Jews.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/02/09/europes-jewish-population/

Get your facts straight, there are roughly 230,000 jews in Germany. More than there were in pre-Nazi Germany.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

6 by Adverrito »»
4 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

33 by Oofmastre9000 »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

58 by rose »»
40 minutes ago

» What if Burger is on a stick?

Dragevard - Feb 10, 2022

20 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » school uniform or no school uniform which is better? ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 21

96 by neol3 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.