Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2010 9:48 AM

Sep 2008
Mei no Naisho.

Delicious trap. :@

Oh and Gakkou no Sensei (by Suyama Shinya).
:@
Apr 22, 2010 10:23 AM

Dec 2008
Sweetpea said:
Kurosagi Corpse Delievery Service. It's a little dark (I mean, we're dealing with the dead, here), but all the characters are interesting and rounded-out. And the cases they do range from the horriffic to the bizzare to the hilarious (lolz to the alien!). But mostly because when dealing with such crazy stuff they all manage to stay upbeat and positive. They're real characters (haha I made a funny! :P) in every sense of the word.
someone else knows about this manga! \o/

I'm going to then add MPD Psycho, done by the same writer, though with a different artist. Very interesting story, but it's dark and since it's about tracking down serial killers there are mindf@ck scenes of the dead bodies and such.
Apr 22, 2010 1:06 PM

Sep 2008
Natsu no Zenjitsu, Being an art student, I fucking wish some sexy older women would make me her boy toy :(
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Apr 22, 2010 3:40 PM

Jun 2009
Sweetpea said:
Aironic said:
Ikigami
Arguably the best manga being released (officially) in English at the moment, and pretty much no-one knows/cares about it.

If you combined Death Note with Battle Royale, you'd probably get something similar to Ikigami. No humour, no boobs - just straight-up, episodic stories about the value of life and how to deal with death. The artist's ability to show the natural ugliness of humans with his excellent artwork impresses me.

Ikigami is amazing. I love it. Double thumbs up to you!

I REALLY love what I've gotten to read of this one! <3 It's really good.

Another great one that's really under the radar is Seizon Life. It's a fairly unique story that really draws you in!!!!
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Apr 24, 2010 4:46 PM

May 2008
Hayabusa
Found it one day when I typed in bus into a search bar.

It's a pretty simplistic story about music- a boy with a talented voice. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something special about this story to me. It's wonderful, magical, and oh so sweet. It's like really watching a genius in the making and not one of those typical "oh my god, he all of sudden got really good in it and despite the fact that it came out of no where it's still kind of cool so i'm going to go with the flow and favorite this manga." It genuinely captured me, in the sense that it's so beautiful and the feelings are so honest that it's kind of hard for me to not love it.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Apr 25, 2010 1:52 AM

Apr 2010
Bio-Meat:Nectar, an absolutely amazing survival/horror manga, definitely deserves more popularity. The story hooks you from they very beginning and doesn't let go until the end. Even then, you still wish the story continued.
Apr 25, 2010 7:32 AM
Jan 2009
Kino_no_Tabi said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
classicalzawa said:
Like half the things in my collection.

But let's see, there's Banana Fish

Lol. I've heard a lot about it.
me too, but only in MAL.
i've asked people irl about this manga and they just stare at me.

I live in
montreal, and in the public library, banana fish is available. the drawing isnt very appealing, but overALL, IS IT good?
Apr 25, 2010 12:32 PM

Jan 2010
Black Jack. This thing is a fucking masterpiece, and I now own every volume up to 10, and everyone should read and/or watch it.
Apr 25, 2010 4:06 PM

Apr 2009
PequeninoMikhail said:
Black Jack. This thing is a fucking masterpiece, and I now own every volume up to 10, and everyone should read and/or watch it.

I thought this was actually quite famous.... Everyone I know knows about it *quizzical look*
Apr 25, 2010 7:08 PM

Sep 2007
I'm kind of becoming huge on [relatively] unknown series. I'd say a good chunk of my list are series that most people haven't either read or heard of, like:

A tale about how a chambermaid and the prince her princess is betrothed to get caught up in a plot to overthrow the aforementioned princess's throne. Now, they are both 10 yrs old and when one temporarily becomes their rightful age (15), the other becomes 5.

- Alichino
...ehhh...I didn't really understand it, but the art is REALLY pretty.

- B.Ichi
About a young boy who was born with special abilities, but they come with a daily condition that must be fulfilled in order to keep them. By the same mangaka as Soul Eater (personally, I think this is better than Soul Eater).

- Children of the Sea
A kind of mystical story about 3 children and the almost supernatural connection they have with the ocean and the life within it. Two of the children were found living with dugongs, and the other is an outcast within her age group.

- Eternal Sabbath
It's about a young man who was genetically engineered to have telepathic powers, but escaped from the laboratory in which he was created. Because he doesn't have an identity, he uses his powers to manipulate peoples' memories so that everyone he comes into contact with believes him to be an old friend/family member.

- Ghost Talker's Daydream
Collections of short stories centered around a government medium who also moonlights as a dominatrix.

- Jing: King of Bandits
A short collection of stories about a young boy who has inherited his family's title of "King of Bandits," who are considered to be so talented that they can even steal the stars from the sky.

- Kingyo Used Books
I just discovered this series this past weekend and it may become a favorite. It's basically about how manga can touch people's lives. As a bonus, it's chock-full of titles of actual manga classics, mostly from the 50s-70s.

- Tokyo Tribe2/Tokyo Tribes
A heavily hip-hop-themed series that follows a street gang (a la Crips/Bloods) and their quest for peace in the city of Tokyo.

- Whistle!
One of my personal favorites. It's a realistic shounen about an untalented jr high-schooler and his quest to become a professional world football (aka soccer) player. Think an anime/manga version of movies like Rocky, Rudy, or Invincible.

There's plenty more that I've read, so feel free to check out my list to check out titles you may not have heard of.

Kino_no_Tabi said:
The Wonderful Adventures of Toto Toto!: The Wonderful Adventure
A very good comedy about a boy who sneaks into a blimp to start an adventure, encounters a dog who later fuses with one of his arms and eats metal to transform into different weapons and such. The characters and places are based on the "Wizard of Oz" story, which I found it a plus for this manga.

Fix'd. I love this story. One of my most recent cosplays is Kakashi, the main character from this series.

voidbringer said:
Chocolat for me

We actually have that in my county library

werr-y said:
Parasyte

I bought the entire series. AMAZING.

VashXTrigun said:
Has anyone ever heard of;

"I, Otaku"??

I have the 1st volume of this. I plan on reading more soon.

Sweetpea said:
Kurosagi Corpse Delievery Service. It's a little dark (I mean, we're dealing with the dead, here), but all the characters are interesting and rounded-out. And the cases they do range from the horriffic to the bizzare to the hilarious (lolz to the alien!). But mostly because when dealing with such crazy stuff they all manage to stay upbeat and positive. They're real characters (haha I made a funny! :P) in every sense of the word.

I have the 1st 2 or 3 volumes of this. I LOVE it!

Aironic said:
Ikigami
Arguably the best manga being released (officially) in English at the moment, and pretty much no-one knows/cares about it.

If you combined Death Note with Battle Royale, you'd probably get something similar to Ikigami. No humour, no boobs - just straight-up, episodic stories about the value of life and how to deal with death.

I'm on the 3rd volume & this is EXACTLY how I've described it to people.
Major_GApr 25, 2010 8:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Apr 25, 2010 7:45 PM

Apr 2009
Major_G said:
I'm kind of becoming huge on [relatively] unknown series. I'd say a good chunk of my list are series that most people haven't either read or heard of, like:

A tale about how a chambermaid and the prince her princess is betrothed to get caught up in a plot to overthrow the aforementioned princess's throne. Now, they are both 10 yrs old and when one temporarily becomes their rightful age (15), the other becomes 5.

I've heard of this one! There was an ad for it in the back of one of my mangas, but I kept forgetting to see whether it was out or not. Thanks!
- Children of the Sea
A kind of mystical story about 3 children and the almost supernatural connection they have with the ocean and the life within it. Two of the children were found living with dugongs, and the other is an outcast within her age group.

I'll see you this and raise you an Amanchu!. It's by the same magaka as Aria, and also about a girl's love for the sea. I keep hearing wonderful things about Childern of the Sea, though, so it's on my to-read list.... which I'm horribly backlogged on ;.;
- Jing: King of Bandits
A short collection of stories about a young boy who has inherited his family's title of "King of Bandits," who are considered to be so talented that they can even steal the stars from the sky.
I bought the first volume of this for my brother, but I ended up loving it, too. It's so hard to find copies of it, so we only own the one!
There's plenty more that I've read, so feel free to check out my list to check out titles you may not have heard of.

It's awesome that you have so many unknowns- Can't wait to check them out myself! Also- if you love Kurosagi, it might be worth checking out the mangaka's earlier work, MAIL. It's only 3 volumes long, and not quite as good, but it's interesting to see where/ how he started. You can see the influences from Mail in Kurosagi, most notably in the design of the embalmer girl to a charrie in Mail.
SweetpeaApr 25, 2010 7:54 PM
Apr 25, 2010 8:45 PM

Sep 2007
Sweetpea said:
I've heard of this one! There was an ad for it in the back of one of my mangas, but I kept forgetting to see whether it was out or not. Thanks!

So far, I haven't actually seen anything other than the 1st volume make its way to these shores since I bought it.

Sweetpea said:
I bought the first volume of this for my brother, but I ended up loving it, too. It's so hard to find copies of it, so we only own the one!

I think I was able to get it because I bought it around the time they were publishing [here]. So I actually have all of the original Jing, but only 6 of Twilight Tales. I believe you might be able to get your hands on some Jing if you manage to get to ACen, though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines
Apr 26, 2010 4:16 AM

Mar 2009
Cat Street! It's not really quite popular, I wonder why. :(
It's Not Like That, Darling :D

Those are just some of my faves.
Apr 26, 2010 4:21 PM

Oct 2008
Dragon Voice
Apr 26, 2010 4:43 PM
Feb 2010
Kino_no_Tabi said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
classicalzawa said:
Like half the things in my collection.

But let's see, there's Banana Fish

Lol. I've heard a lot about it.
me too, but only in MAL.
i've asked people irl about this manga and they just stare at me.

Are you kidding? I hear about this manga all the time and especially on amazon.com you look at someones list and you'll see...bleach...vampire knight...banana fish...I thought it was popular
Apr 29, 2010 7:52 AM

Apr 2009
Kieli - It may not be epic, but it's good nonetheless. Fails in that it really should have been longer (I would have loved to see her interacting with the dead more!), and that while the unjust-war theme was played out strongly, it would have beneffitted from exploring that a bit more, perhaps. A bit more on the background of it, etc. Regardless, this was an awesome story.
Apr 30, 2010 3:32 AM

Jul 2008
Sweetpea said:
Kieli - It may not be epic, but it's good nonetheless. Fails in that it really should have been longer (I would have loved to see her interacting with the dead more!)
It really, really should be longer seeing as the light novel spans nine volumes and the manga only covers the first volume.

BEGINNER
Apr 30, 2010 3:50 AM

Jan 2010
Kimi no Sei (I can't find the rest!!)

I barely update my manga list, it's really messy, only ever care about my anime list though I read more manga.

ROFL.

I read alot of these, like Otaku no Musume-san
That's hilarious
Apr 30, 2010 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
adamantine said:
Sweetpea said:
Kieli - It may not be epic, but it's good nonetheless. Fails in that it really should have been longer (I would have loved to see her interacting with the dead more!)
It really, really should be longer seeing as the light novel spans nine volumes and the manga only covers the first volume.

I figured it would be something like that ><" No wonder it seemed like it's been pulled from a longer story! Now I just gotta get my hands on those novels....
Apr 30, 2010 7:11 AM

Jun 2009
I like Hana ni nare, it's by the author of Love Monster :D It's not the type of manga you'd call excellent but I enjoy reading it..

Also seikon no Qwaser, it's a very good manga (My first ecchi title)! I can't believe that I will read an ecchi series, but surprisingly it was very good.. and not very well known to my surprise :)
May 1, 2010 7:46 AM

Jan 2010
Sweetpea said:
PequeninoMikhail said:

I thought this was actually quite famous.... Everyone I know knows about it *quizzical look*

Oh, it's pretty unknown.Granted, it's not as forgotten as Devilman(Which everyone Should also read), but you average fan won't know. You probably just know really awesome people.
May 1, 2010 5:16 PM

Jan 2008
More people really need to read Franken Fran, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Pluto, Oyasumi Punpun, MPD Psycho and Gunsmith Cats. They're all great series but nobody really seems to know about them =(.

Also, more people should read Hotel, Emerald, Island, Semi-Eternal Happy End and a whole bunch of Shintaro Kago's stuff.
May 1, 2010 7:22 PM

Dec 2008
Onani Master Kurosawa - Really the first thing people think when they see this is probably "It;s hentai, it'll be ridiculous". No, no it's not it actually has a good legit plot that doesn't involve sex as the main factor.

LOST + BRAIN Another assumption of a Death Note ripoff. This eventually changes later in the story which also resolves with the character just wanting to change the world, not necessarily become it's god.
May 6, 2010 6:15 AM

Jan 2010
Witch Hunter (manwha). i actually kinda like it :DDD
May 6, 2010 7:02 AM

Dec 2008
Sweetpea said:
adamantine said:
Sweetpea said:

I figured it would be something like that ><" No wonder it seemed like it's been pulled from a longer story! Now I just gotta get my hands on those novels....
I believe the first two novels are out in English, and apparently there are more to come. Looking forward to reading them, since the manga was very interesting and it was only based on the first novel, i think.

and to stay on the topic, I'm going to mention Dolls.
I don't know if many people in MAL knows about it, but where I live it's unheard of. Mainly about a government department called Tokkei whose job is to hunt down and kill all offenders who are given the death penalty. Per the story, there's a law that under special circumstances a suspect can be judge and handed down the death penalty with no trial or presence of the suspect in court, and the tokkei is charged or killing the person. The cases they deal with are very interesting, and the series is dramatic and psychological, though not as much as the manga Freesia, though.
rodacJan 16, 2014 8:29 PM
May 6, 2010 4:27 PM

Jan 2010
Wow, there are so many titles here I've not heard about before *-*

I'm actually reading Dolls too. I love it, very engaging story and characters, and done by the same mangaka as Switch.
May 6, 2010 7:08 PM

Oct 2008
Jihai

Nobody I know has heard of it, but I rather enjoy it.
May 6, 2010 7:54 PM

Mar 2010
The Climber.

The theme it revolves around is too unique, and it has some excellent art.
May 7, 2010 9:12 AM

Jun 2007
Good to know some others know about Ikigami. The fifth volume is either out now or at the end of the month. I hope there's only confusion about the amount of volumes due to its lack of popularity, and that it actually goes on for FAR longer than only seven volumes!

Here's another little gem of a series--my favourite comedy:

High School Girls
Before I saw an eBay auction for volumes 1-6, what put it on my radar was a woman who went to an all-girl school telling me that the depiction of life at an all-girl school in HSG is close to reality.

After reading, I think of HSG as the most funny comedy I've encountered, simply because - for the most part - the jokes are about how females are REALLY supposed to act, when away from guys. Hair removal, period woes, jealously over boyfriends - you name it. And the characters are developed so well over the course of the mostly episodic story that I loved nearly all of them by the end.

Only 8/10 because the mangaka ran out of ideas towards the end, resulting in the story ending abruptly.
May 8, 2010 4:14 AM

Feb 2010
Um.. Beast Master, I guess.
May 8, 2010 5:10 AM

Oct 2009
Angel Hunt
Hybrid Child
it makes me cry --
May 9, 2010 4:49 PM

Sep 2007
Seasonreaper said:
Gunsmith Cats. [It's a] great series but nobody really seems to know about [it] =(.

You're hanging around the wrong crowd. Most older anime fans know all about Gunsmith Cats. When I lived in Chicago, it was probably the #1 series I kept getting recommended.
May 12, 2010 9:51 AM

Feb 2008
ok so some manhuas that probably no one knows about
NOW
ChunRangYulJun
May 12, 2010 9:13 PM

Apr 2009
aiwanani said:
any of Nana Haruta or Chiba Kozue sensei's mangas..theyre so cute XD
approved! :D another fan of the two great mangaka!

saboten no himitsu by haruta nana
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head.

Put your wishes into the memories you do not want to forget.

May 12, 2010 10:38 PM

Feb 2010
That Bokurano spin-off story that no one has read yet >_>... Yet Another Bokurano
May 13, 2010 12:35 PM
Mar 2010
Kitsune san ni bakasaretai~!
I have added it personally, yay yay, you must read it!
May 13, 2010 10:02 PM

Dec 2009
Angel Densetsu!!!!!

definately that one
May 23, 2010 10:08 AM

Apr 2007
Ookiku Furikabutte, No Color, and Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
ghirahimMay 23, 2010 2:13 PM
May 23, 2010 11:59 AM
Feb 2010
That No-One else has heard of?
Well, none.
May 23, 2010 1:07 PM

Jul 2009
Demon Diary
Ive only met one other person IRL that reads it that I didnt recommend it to them xD
Previous cons-
Anime Iowa 2009
Nebraskon 2009
Anime Detour 2010
QC Anime-Zing 2010

Upcoming Cons-
Anime Iowa 2010

Possible cons-
Nebraskon 2010

May 23, 2010 3:41 PM
May 23, 2010 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
Mother freakin' 'Holy Land' that shit is is awesome. Good for if you like martial arts or like seeing gang members get their asses kicked. Theres not much other than that that I know of.

May 24, 2010 6:01 AM

Feb 2010
The Dolls House (also knows as The Dolls Girl) - One-shot. Very pretty, heartwarming story and nice art. And only around 200 people has read it!
Sorry for my bad english
May 31, 2010 10:27 AM

Jul 2009
Oninagi
Maid Senki/Maid War Chronicles
Shina Dark
Kieli (OMFG I LOVE KIELI SO GODDAMN MUCH ASDASFADF)
May 31, 2010 10:31 AM

Oct 2009
1/6000 honesty
May 31, 2010 10:47 AM

Jul 2008
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

Yuuko!!! <3 ;__;
May 31, 2010 5:12 PM

Apr 2009
A Delicious Relationship. I'd heard about the live-action drama, but when I checked out the manga, insta-love! There's a charm to it that seems to make it stand out from others that are similar. It might help that it's josei instead of shoujo.....
Jun 3, 2010 9:34 AM

Apr 2010
I guess that "Cipher" is not really known.

Jun 6, 2010 8:42 AM

Sep 2007
I just picked up one from Borders the other day called I'll Give it My All...Tomorrow. It's about a 40 yr-old salaryman who quits his job and decides to become a manga artist. He lives w/ his father & daughter, slacks around and works a part-time job at a fast food place.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1054 by Francis_0 »»
9 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
Yesterday, 1:50 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
Yesterday, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.