Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2016 8:13 PM
Jun 2013
Do last names hold any importance in your culture and society ?

My last name is Kaul . Its our identity marker . Since we ( North Indians ) are patrilineal society , we take on the last name of Fathers .

This is the origin of my last name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaul

Do last names like Light , Knight , Wood , Taylor , Lee , Takeshi etc have any significance or are they just random names ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2012
Yes, my first name is Ben, last name is Dover.

It holds so much meaning that it makes me cum.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Sep 23, 2016 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
Most English Surnames are only from the 14th century so they are not hugely meaningful.

Mine can be traced back to the honour roll from the Battle of Hastings 1066 but that is about it.

I couldn't care less about my surname other than being traceable to my origin somewhat.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Sep 23, 2016 12:40 AM

Sep 2015
Last name is Molenaar or Miller translated directly into English.

Here in the Netherlands you automaticly get your father's last name but you can change your last name to your mother's or other relative's by writing a letter to the King.
Also, when getting married, the couple may decide wether or not they get each other's last names. Back in the day the woman got the last name of the male, but nowadays you could also choose for it to go the other way around, or not at all. Since gay marriadge is a thing in here for ages.
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Sep 23, 2016 1:05 AM

Jun 2016
Yeah here in my country we also take up the surname of the father automatically.

My family's last name(at least on my father's side) was changed when my grandfather migrated from Ukraine, he had to pick a Hungarian-sounding last name.He picked the name of a place that he liked visiting and added the 'of' preposition to it(the Hungarian equivavlent of 'of' anyway).

So my family's surname went from Skirka to Mátrai.

This was also the case on my mother's side with my Ashkenazi ancestors except they just used a random word instead of the name of a place.
Which meant that they went from Gebauer to Gáti, 'gát' means 'dam' in Hungarian by the way.(and the '-i' used in both cases is our version of the 'of' preposition)
Sep 23, 2016 1:54 AM
Jul 2018
In mexico poland surnames come from different things usually from a job or location and it can be easily identified for the most

But my name, nope, I had to google it and all I've got are speculations based on what we know old polish sounded like, most sources claimed it comes from the old polish word for "selfish" but who the fuck knows
Sep 23, 2016 2:44 AM

May 2016
Well, us Filipinos have the same surname as our dads, so we got that.

Tried searching Google for my surname and the result was a brandy. Pretty cool imo
I miss my GIFs of old ass memes.
Sep 23, 2016 3:16 AM
Oct 2014
My name is patronymic, with the suffix -son (which means "son"). It simply means "son of X" and is very common. I have that name after my great great great grandfather.

I've been thinking about changing or transforming my current name into something more unique, but still relatable.
Rarusu_Sep 23, 2016 3:20 AM

Sep 23, 2016 3:22 AM

Aug 2012
Definitely, Last names are usually family names here. You can differentiate between a real Arab and a filthy Arabized Gaijin by his last name.
Sep 23, 2016 3:31 AM

Oct 2015
I inherited my last name from my father, and from my father's father and so on. Apparently, it used to have a different writing ... Which is the same as that of a rather famous corsair, so I do wonder if we're related in any way Lol
Sep 23, 2016 3:34 AM

Oct 2013
Who knows, my father is adopted so I don't think he knows what's the meaning behind our last name, but who knows? I never asked him about about his real parents, no intention to either.
Sep 23, 2016 3:36 AM

Jan 2016
Far as I know, my last name doesn't really hold any cultural or historical significance.
Sep 23, 2016 5:25 AM
Jun 2013
Rarusu_ said:
My name is patronymic, with the suffix -son (which means "son"). It simply means "son of X" and is very common. I have that name after my great great great grandfather.

I've been thinking about changing or transforming my current name into something more unique, but still relatable.

Like Watson , Pearson , Robinson ^_^

How do you change your name ? Just at whims or there is a complete government procedure to it ?

Yarub said:
Definitely, Last names are usually family names here. You can differentiate between a real Arab and a filthy Arabized Gaijin by his last name.

LOL , Muslims in Kashmir have Pandit surnames but recently there is an attemept to Arbanized the names as well as the places . These people have attempted to change the name of my ancestor homeland Anantnag to Islamabad but officially they have failed till now ^_^
Sep 23, 2016 6:12 AM

Oct 2014
Being an Indian like the OP, my surname also reveals my religion and caste. Heh. dank shit, like when I was in grade school my parents used to guess religions of all kids by their names and I was like mind=blown but as I grew up, I figured how childish I was.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Sep 23, 2016 6:31 AM

Nov 2015
I just looked it up and mine apparently is a north indian clan or something.
Sep 23, 2016 6:36 AM
Jun 2013
Iizbakaokay said:
Being an Indian like the OP, my surname also reveals my religion and caste. Heh. dank shit, like when I was in grade school my parents used to guess religions of all kids by their names and I was like mind=blown but as I grew up, I figured how childish I was.

lol and one of the reasons why some people advocate banning use of last names to finish of caste system
Sep 23, 2016 6:37 AM

Mar 2012
I have no clue what mine even means, just that it comes from my father's side it being a patriarchal society. But I've heard from my mother that her grandmother used to tell her that we had the usual Indian surnames, then the Portuguese came and converted us to Catholics and changed our surnames or something like that.
Sep 23, 2016 6:48 AM

Jun 2015
Alright, I just looked up my last name and apparently its derived from German history. Its also used in my country, but its very uncommon here. It means 'mountainside' or 'slope'. I never knew that lol.

And yes, maybe last names here are important too. I have my dad's surname. Women here too usually change their last names to their husbands, but for some reason my mum didn't do that, but still gave me my dad's surname. My mum has an Indian surname I think. And their ancestors are indian, so I dunno. I like my dad's surname more tbh. It sounds better.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Sep 23, 2016 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
ashishkaull said:
Iizbakaokay said:

lol and one of the reasons why some people advocate banning use of last names to finish of caste system
ehh? It doesn't really matter. People are prejudiced against names, names are names. If you're gonna ban last names consider how many similar names will pop up. Even complete names are common in our populated country and you want to make it worse? Radical.
I don't know why people write that they are approachable persons,
if you were you wouldn't be on MAL.
Extended families or lovers on MAL are a farce.
Sep 23, 2016 6:58 AM
Jun 2013
Iizbakaokay said:
ashishkaull said:

ehh? It doesn't really matter. People are prejudiced against names, names are names. If you're gonna ban last names consider how many similar names will pop up. Even complete names are common in our populated country and you want to make it worse? Radical.

Yup ! That is the point why I opened the thread . I wanted to know whether the last names hold any importance in western societies . In India its important since it helps to identify with the clan/lineage though we have a different concept of Gotra which I think is similar to clan .

Mayumi said:
Alright, I just looked up my last name and apparently its derived from German history. Its also used in my country, but its very uncommon here. It means 'mountainside' or 'slope'. I never knew that lol.

And yes, maybe last names here are important too. I have my dad's surname. Women here too usually change their last names to their husbands, but for some reason my mum didn't do that, but still gave me my dad's surname. My mum has an Indian surname I think. And their ancestors are indian, so I dunno. I like my dad's surname more tbh. It sounds better.

Yup ! My mother has kept both her and my fathers last name . Hers is "Raina" and Fathers is "Kaul"
KaulDevaSep 23, 2016 7:01 AM
Sep 23, 2016 7:24 AM
Sep 2015
My surname is a variation of my father's first name so my grandfather basically gave my father a 'Ivan Ivanovski' kind of name. Both my first name and my surname are as Romanian as Romanian names can get (well except if I would have been named "Ioana Popescu" or something like that) so nothing interesting.
Sep 23, 2016 7:49 AM

Apr 2015
My last name was butchered a century and a half ago by Ellis Island.

However, it's the same as a relatively well known company back in my home state, so I'm not complaining.
It IS hilarious, however, having almost no one being able to guess how to pronounce said name unless they were raised in the same general area.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 23, 2016 8:11 AM

May 2016
Well, in my country people have 2 surnames xD I don't have idea where my first surname come from, but I guess it's a toponymic surname, because there is a small town with that name near my city. An my second surname is Sánchez, such a classic lmao
Sep 23, 2016 8:21 AM
Oct 2014
ashishkaull said:
Rarusu_ said:

Like Watson , Pearson , Robinson ^_^

How do you change your name ? Just at whims or there is a complete government procedure to it ?

Yeah, like those ones. It's a complete government procedure.

Sep 23, 2016 8:21 AM

Apr 2016
I'm not going to give you my last name, but it traces back to a band of Saxon mercenaries. I feel like a badass :P
Sep 23, 2016 8:34 AM

Jun 2009
In my country one either adds a suffix to one of your ancestor's first name, or to his occupation. At this point there is already family names formed so there is not much changing. You are "born" into your surname and women can change it to their husband's surname when they are married.
My brother has the same first name as the "main ancestor" though, so it sounds kind of funny. Imagine "John Johnson" but with an Eastern European name.
Sep 23, 2016 7:57 PM

May 2013
I'm chinese and my last name somehow originated from some emperor's name i think? Sometime between the Zhou and Han dynasty. Tried google translating a chinese version of wikipedia and that's what i got anyway.

I kind of forgot what my parents told me.
The direct translation of my last name means "old man".
UssesaSep 23, 2016 8:01 PM
Sep 23, 2016 8:02 PM

Dec 2014
Not really tbh, they are more 'indentifying codes'.
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 24, 2016 4:00 PM

Mar 2014
My surname means "from [former French province X]" and can be traced back to the Middle Ages, although the spelling has been modified

I like it but I wish more Swedes knew how to pronounce it correctly
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 24, 2016 4:04 PM

Jun 2016
No, mostly not.

I like my last name though. It means 'diamond.'
Sep 24, 2016 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
All I know from my last name is that I'm related to a president from a certain country because his son made a mistress of my grandmother's mother. A bastard lineage is what I'm from.

It's a habitational name from a town in spain from what I looked up.

It means high rocks. what the fuck.
removed-userSep 24, 2016 4:41 PM
Sep 24, 2016 4:42 PM

Nov 2012
My surname means "son of X" so it doesn't have some special meaning, and I got it from my father. Most children here have their father's surname, but there are some cases where they take their mother's surname, or both.

My nephew has two surnames f.ex, one from his mother and one from his father.
Come here and play with my darkness
Sep 24, 2016 5:26 PM
Oct 2014
Might just as well add some stuff since last names interest me.

To answer your question whether last names have any importance to my society or not, the answer is both yes and no. Most names are patronymic "son" names, and they aren't very informative or hold any status. Before the 1900s there was a feminine form as well which were common. Daughters used the suffix "dotter", which simply means daughter. So if your name was Erik, then your son would be named Eriksson and your daughter would be named Eriksdotter. These names weren't actual family names, since your children didn't inherit them. When you got married your wife didn't take your name, but she kept hers.
Yeomen, or common landowners, typically added the name of their farm in their last names instead. So for example, a yeoman's name could be "Anders Andersson in Grimsby", and his wife could be "Anna Karlsdotter from Torp". Theor daughter's name could be "Ulrica Andersdotter in Grimsby", etc. Nowadays you are not allowed to do this anymore, however.

Names of importance are found among the nobility. They had fancy names like Ehrencrona, Silverschiöld, Ribbing, von Dübel, etc.
Then we have a number of families with high status but who were never knighted, and therefore remain legally as commoners. Such as Wallenberg, Sahlgren, Dickson, Buraeus, etc.

People who belonged to the clergy typically had latinized, hellenized or germanized last names, with suffixes like -ius, -eus, -ander or -inger.

Soldiers had names which were based on traits, such as "Rask" (quick/brisk), "Lustig" (funny), or animals and weapons such as "Warg" (wolf), "Järv" (wolverine), "Sköld" (shield), Svärd (sword), etc.

Not all people are aware of this today, but I can thanks to this knowledge know quite a lot about some people's ancestors just by knowing their last name.

Sep 24, 2016 5:28 PM

May 2016
My last name has unknown origins, but I know it's a common Russian last name and could mean "of Pan", like the Greek god of nature.

Since my family has a history of magic and ESP, I found it to be fitting.
Sep 24, 2016 6:39 PM

Oct 2015
My last name is "Bonanno", which means "happy new year" in sicilian... not really that much of a meaning
Sep 24, 2016 6:57 PM

Feb 2014
All I really know about my last name is that it's English and my only known ancestor to come to America did so in 1740 from England.
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Sep 24, 2016 7:03 PM

Mar 2013
my name is Hugh Mungus-wot teehee xd
Sep 25, 2016 2:58 AM

Dec 2012
I just googled my surname, it's an anglo-saxon name of place in England.
In the UK, most people are registered at birth with their paternal surname, although in some cases the mother's maiden name is added too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2016 1:08 PM

Feb 2016
I just googled my last name. Apparently, it's derived from an Old French word and it means "He who lives near the woods." I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Apparently, some of the countries of Origin are: England, France, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I don't even know anyone from those places lol. So yeah, I don't see the significance in my name or how it's tied into my culture since neither of my parents are European. But it's cool, I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 25, 2016 2:23 PM

Oct 2014
My last name is Smith so it means my ancestors had a boring and generic job considering how common the last name is. A lot of last names are just the name of the career someone had.
Sep 25, 2016 2:53 PM
Mar 2013
I have my father's surname and it is quite unusual here. it is a french name too, so with typical English pronunciation it sounds awful
Sep 25, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2012
My last name is just some stereotypical Chinese name lawl

Also come to think of it, why are some users actually saying their last names?
Sep 25, 2016 4:46 PM

Jul 2015
My last name comes from a village in spain. But it's spelled differently in the mexican dialect. I have no idea what it means. And doesn't look like it has any cultural significance. I might change the spelling since just about everyone pronounces it wrong.
Sep 25, 2016 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
Outside of identifying myself, it has as much relevance as anything else. You are sometimes known for what you do and sometimes you are known for who you are.
Sep 26, 2016 2:41 PM

Sep 2016
Stereotypical Vietnamese last name that everyone butchers.
Sep 26, 2016 6:37 PM

Dec 2012
I have a Spanish nickname with an ñ lol. I don't really like it, I don't really hate it.
At least no one gets it wrong when they spell/write it.
Sep 26, 2016 9:35 PM

Jan 2016
The only thing I know is that my last name indicates that my family comes from Okinawa. Other than that, I don't even know if the word itself means anything.
Sep 26, 2016 9:38 PM

Feb 2013
My last name means Swordsman in Italian apparently. Thoroughbred weeb material ;)
Sep 27, 2016 6:22 AM

Jun 2014
Surnames aren't that important here, culturally.

My last name is a modern version of an Anglo-Saxon adjective describing someone who was "courageous" or "arrogant." My father told me it is a Scottish surname and we have Scottish roots, but the Scots spell it differently.

My mother's last name before she was married is an Anglicized version of a French Huguenot last name.
Sep 27, 2016 8:09 AM

Oct 2015
My last name is Su (蘇), means swag.
If you're reading this, then you be should banana the one often to effectively die apples through convergence, autism plus unicorns.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have a skin care routine? ( 1 2 3 )

456371000 - May 14, 2020

114 by DesuMaiden »»
33 seconds ago

» What is your favorite Masaaki Yuasa anime?

Sorachin - 8 hours ago

14 by Smugdear »»
40 seconds ago

» how dark is your personality? ( 1 2 )

GrimAtrament - Mar 27, 2018

64 by DesuMaiden »»
24 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

19 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 48 minutes ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.