Forum Settings
Forums

''Koe no Katachi'' Ranking 2nd trailing behind ''Kimi no na wa'' - Failed to beat boxoffice

A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 22, 2016 5:27 AM
Sep 2016
Some of you may be wondering how well Koe no Katachi is fairing against Makoto Shinkai's latest masterpiece Kimi no na wa... and the results are expected.

The current movie ranking.

1. Kimi no na wa
2. Koe no Katachi
3. Ikari

In the first 2 days of release of both anime film titles...

1. Kimi no na wa - 800,000+ Tickets sold - 1.76 Billion yen Box-office
2. Koe no Katachi - 200,000+ Tickets sold - 283 Million yen Box-office

So results are in and there is no sign of a friendly competition as Kimi no na wa has recently topped over 10 Billion yen and still going strong.

Despite that, audiences are ranking Koe no Katachi at #1 for the most satisfactory movie.

Do note that I am not hating on either movie, I watched both films and I respect them respectively.
Sep 22, 2016 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
You should not compare them, since Koe no Katachi is released in far less screens (movie theaters. Meaning that it already lost the box office "battle" (lol) since its anouncement.Its like comparing the money that Pokemon does world wide with the money that Yokai Watch does in Japan.
In fact most of the tickets were sold and some people couldnt even watch the movie, which means that the sells were almost 100%, which means that those Tickets were the maximun that Koe no Katachi could sell giving the amount of theaters. Meaning that it is a sucess and a hit movie.
If someone has fault is Shochiku for not giving it more screens and only started really promoting the movie 1/2 weeks before it aired. Kimi no na wa already had 2 1:30min PVs and more promocionals way before it aired. While Koe no Katachi had a little more than 1 minute of footage untill the last week shown the long 2:30min trailer and 2 15 second ones that hyped alot of people.
Kimi no na wa is selling well and its OST and novel spin-off are selling well.
Koe no Katachi is selling well and its doing the jobof selling its source material, in the previous week the 3 first volumes appeared in the top 50 and in this week 4 first volumes appeared.
Also sales doesn't mean necessarily quality or if something is better than another.
If the audiences rankings are true then thats a proof.
Sep 22, 2016 10:16 AM
Jan 2012
I like apples but also pineapples too. I might argue how pineapple is a better fruit than apple, but I also know that apple is good too in its own ways, and that is consumed by a greater number of people.

And not all people want to see a film about bullying and redemption- although it's not just about that.

I do feel from the point of view of a former creator wannabe that Koe no Katachi has a more challenging and ambitious theme, visuals, and sound as a film. The clever use of Steve Reich-style minimal music and acoustic piano with various noises, as well as attention to the details not overtly shown on screen (like
) really gives depth to Koe no Katachi.

But then I might not be fair as I have never been a strong fan of Shinkai (although I do enjoy his short films) but I have always been a strong fan of Yamada (to the point that I watch her directing episodes in the TV series over again to enjoy her cinematographic techniques applied on anime).
GohanwaOkazuSep 22, 2016 10:20 AM
Sep 22, 2016 1:54 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Koe no Katachi got a lot less screens to work with so the sales are great for its screen count.
Nov 6, 2016 6:15 AM
Jan 2012
Koe no Katachi has surpassed the sales of K-On! Movie by end of October, which means that it will definitely surpass (or rather has already surpassed by now) the sales of Madoka: Rebellion by early-mid November.

Which is quite something.

PS It has been reported that it has surpassed the sales of Madoka Magica: Rebellion Story as of 6 November, and is projected to surpass Girls und Panzer: Movie soon.

... ... But, I like as others, can't really care less about who's making money. It was an enjoyable film for me - probably the best film I saw this year. I am happy though that many viewers overseas outside Japan would also enjoy it soon or later.
GohanwaOkazuNov 7, 2016 2:24 AM
Nov 6, 2016 6:42 AM
Sep 2016
GohanwaOkazu said:
Koe no Katachi has surpassed the sales of K-On! Movie by end of October, which means that it will definitely surpass (or rather has already surpassed by now) the sales of Madoka: Rebellion by early-mid November.

Which is quite something.

Well whatever happens, this will be my favorite movie of the year.

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

700 by Morragan »»
Apr 4, 5:29 PM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.