Forum Settings
Forums

Mental Health issues on the rise - action needed

New
Sep 22, 2016 3:53 AM
Jul 2018
Mental health issues are a serious problem in the U.S and UK. Please do not post any joking/harassing replies

A survey in 2010 revealed that 1 in 10 suffer from some sort of mental illness. Another study had found that everyone will experience some sort of mental illness in their lives. A recent study has shown that girls are more likely to be pressured into looking good as a result of posting their own pictures on Social Media. As a result of this researchers concluded that girls are more likely to have mental issues.

Mental Illness can seriously cause damage to someone's life. Mental illness could be a result of;

- Bullying
- Troubles at home
- Pressure to meet expectations of school
- Pressure to meet expectations at home
- Not looking as good as you want to be
- Being pressurised on Social Media
- Cyber-bullying

Sings of mental illness:

- Sudden drop in school performance
- Anxiety
- Stress
- Eating Less
- Comfort Eating
- Self Harming

And many more reasons. As you can see mental health issues can be a serious problem. This thread was made to raise awareness of these issues. You are not alone

Discuss your thoughts on mental issues. If you've suffered from mental health issues before - reply with your experiences and how you managed to overcome them. Not everyone will see this post - but at least some people now know how frightening it can be
Sep 22, 2016 4:16 AM

Feb 2015
I'm also pretty sure the info has become more widespread, in the sense that there are more reporting of cases occurring.

Say like an extreme case like Dissociative identity disorder, it's an extremely rare disorder and is often doubted by psychologists to even exist, yet it's reported by the International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation states that the prevalence is between 1 and 3% in the general population, and between 1 and 5% in inpatient groups in Europe and North America. DID is diagnosed more frequently in North America than in the rest of the world.

See the bullshit? People love to exaggerate their problems and self diagnose themselves as a way of acknowledging their health and/or reason for failing atlife. Psychology is a shitty field, they aren't even real doctors.. when they want money, they'll diagnose you of whatever you think you have.
Hello
Sep 22, 2016 4:20 AM
Jul 2018
A survey? Not a study, a survey, okay, so they just asked people and that's it, okay, nothing wrong with that, nothing at all, why would there be?
Sep 22, 2016 5:38 AM

Aug 2016
I've seen a lot of over-the-top shitposts, but this one probably takes the cake. +3 shitposting points for the OP if I do say so myself.

Darekmhn1 said:
A survey? Not a study, a survey, okay, so they just asked people and that's it, okay, nothing wrong with that, nothing at all, why would there be?

+1, was gonna say the same myself. What is this, show and tell with buzzfeed articles? These are not a good example of substantial evidence - I could create a survey saying "WE SHOULD CREATE 3D POSTERBOARD WAIFUS AS STOPSIGNS ACROSS AMERICA" and then only hand out the survey to those I am certain will answer it with the results I'm looking for. Surveys are and have been mostly broken as good evidence for a while now.

changelog_ said:
Mental illness could be a result of;

- Bullying
- Troubles at home
- Pressure to meet expectations of school
- Pressure to meet expectations at home
- Not looking as good as you want to be
- Being pressurised on Social Media
- Cyber-bullying

Sings of mental illness:

- Anxiety
- Stress
- Eating Less
- Comfort Eating
- Self Harming

Well isn't that just dandy - I've experienced most of these first hand and I don't think I've gotten any mental illness. Bullying, pressure from grades, oh hey, even big family issues. Wanna know why? BECAUSE THESE ARE ALL FUCKING NATURAL. Eating less, comfort eating, sudden anxiety - not to say that they aren't signs of mental illness, but they're pretty natural nonetheless within most populations.

You wanna know how to get over a mental illness? Stop treating it like it's some prized possesion that's part of you and move on - identifying it like this thread is like it's some inner deus ex machina is stupid. If you have it, either ignore it and move on or learn to change and move on. Either way, it's up to you, whether or not you are or aren't alone.
VariFoxSep 22, 2016 5:46 AM
Sep 22, 2016 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Sitting all day doing nothing makes people depressed.

Keeping yourself busy is good for your mental health. But I guess it's hard to do that for some people.
Sep 22, 2016 6:48 AM

Jul 2016
Mental health issues? Hmmm.

I'm on the autistic spectrum, and I've been diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, depersonalization, and I have some substance abuse issues. I've struggled with my mental health since I was probably 13 and I'm 22 now. Attempted suicide once, used to cut myself a bunch. There are other factors as to why this has happened (bereavement, living with a BPD father, and my lack of ability to "get my shit together" like most people can) but I just try and live my days out as much as I can. I've also got severe issues with paranoia and have alot of obsessive thoughts about stuff like government spying and trust issues.
“Existence is.. well.. what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future. The present is well out of hand.” -Ian Curtis
Sep 22, 2016 8:11 AM

Aug 2016
Mental illness from social media and cyber bullying? That sounds a little far fetched.
Anyone have actual experience with that?
Sep 22, 2016 8:13 AM

Jun 2016
I think it is not unique to US and UK. It's the disease of the century.wk

About 'girls' depressed due tosocial media, yeah maybe. But again, it is valid for everyone. The fact that we now have access to all the people around the world, able to see their daily lives, see what they wear, where they go, what they eat, etc, we are more likely to 'compare' oour own lives with others.
The funny thing is, what we see online doesn't even reflect reality. There are millions of people who go somewhere just to share it on their social media accounts, photos with happy-looking people who are in reality no more happier than you and me. It is inevitable that most people feel lacking, that everybody is happy when they are not.

Also, as we can easily reach everything, we become more of a consumer community than of a productive one.

It might sound like a cliche, but making an effort to achieve a goal, producing something, living actively is the best remedy to mental diseases. Once you feel useful /valuable, everything works out well.
Sep 22, 2016 8:23 AM

Nov 2015
I'm sure the liberals had something to do with it..

OT: The reason as to why mental health issues are on the rise is because our knowledge
on them is on the rise.
People seemingly didn't have mental health issues back in the day because there was little people knew about.
But anyways, if it counts I had this intense paranoia of people betraying me or people turning on me because I did something to piss them off. This was actually caused by something that happened in high school and still affects me to this day to some extent.
I moved to another place midway through high school, got with some different, more friendlier people and just learnt to brush those feelings off. It happened pretty gradually..
Sep 22, 2016 8:42 AM

Apr 2015
I don't think they're really on the rise. With modern-day technology and information, there are a lot more people who know that they're not alone and are coming out about their mental health issues.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 22, 2016 8:47 AM

Sep 2015
I have autism and I don't think it's on the rise. Just more people getting their kids tested.

Also I thought that statistic was 1 in 5. Doesn't surprise me either way. There's so many factors that can go into a person's life so something is bound to go wrong, whether it's environmental or genetic.

But if you want some advice, you just have to keep trying honestly. You'll eventually improve even if you cant notice it
Sep 22, 2016 1:23 PM

Mar 2016
They aren't mental issues, it's all a phase. Everyone experiences some of that stuff in life.
People don't know the difference these days.
If you have a therapist or someone similar who says you have a problem, you probably do. If not, you don't.
Depression is not the same as sadness. Sadness is something you can get over, whereas depression is something you need medication for. People with low self esteem have sadness, in most cases.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Sep 22, 2016 6:39 PM

Mar 2008
Just because it is diagnosed more does not necisarily mean it is on the rise. It can just mean that more people go in and get diagnosed. Sometimes this is a misdiagnosis though. It can be the wrong mental illness or even some physical illnesses can cause symptoms like mental illnesses or worsen them and a psychologist doesn't always have the skills required to pick this out so sometimes it's good to go to a doctor first to make sure you're otherwise healthy. To actually know the ratio of people and if it has changed you would need a large sample size of randomly chosen people and diagnose their mental state. Even that is not perfect though because there is a small chance of randomly selecting people that mess up the stats so it really is just representative of those specific people.

As for the metal illnesses how it is currently they are pretty arbitrary groupings of feelings and behaviours. The way someone acts and feels is all that these labels describe, not the actual cause. There are theories of causes but nothing conclusive and agreed upon with consensus, even for something as basic and common as depression. The meds used really only treat symptoms not so much the underlying cause especially since the cause is not so certain, but this is how pharmaceuticals in general mostly are, management not cures. The meds use outdated technology of using pills for delivery and they do not tailor it to individuals so not everything works like it claims it does. Both the meds and the therapy do not greatly differ from metal illness to mental illness. They more so differ from the category of symptoms such as psychosis, anxiety, unstable mood, and depression.

The mental illnesses are not always the biggest problem, sometimes it is just how people react to and treat people with mental illnesses or any other kind of problem. The labelling of these conditions forms a sort of alienation. In the renascence era and some other cultures in the past treated those with mental illness as just being quirky or even wise which made it not so much an issue.
Sep 22, 2016 6:59 PM

Aug 2013
I think it is on the rise, its a form of future shock. Back in human history mans worries were limited to survival, eating, paying the land lord and farming. Now the more society grows the more we all have to take in mentally. With social media and the web our knowledge and issues are no longer local but aware of world wide issues. We take in over 1000% more information daily than we ever did before. Our brains are still the same brains man had hundreds of years ago and yet are supposed to process and react to hundreds of times more input almost every moment. This could easily make things more likely to go wrong. Modern society is a high stress environment and even though we are more connected than ever people in general feel more distant, they don't have as many physical connections as we used to do. Deprivation of face to face connections can also cause issues mentally. Mix this with city living, a hive collective mentality and lack of feeling of direction, purpose and value in a society overflowing with workers and you'll have more cases of depression and other mental illness.

http://www.urbanagenda.org/mental-illness/mental-illness-a-growing-problem-in-modern-society/

SpooksSep 22, 2016 7:07 PM
Sep 23, 2016 10:30 AM
Jan 2015
I have suffered from depression for years and have still not overcome it. It is making my life a hell on Earth, to be honest. There are times when I feel like everything's fine, but then out of the blue I'll feel bad again. This year has been especially tough for me, and honestly not a day goes by without me thinking about suicide.

What makes matters even worse is the fact that I just started uni and haven't managed to make a single friend yet. All of my best (and basically only) friends have moved far away, so I don't even have any kind of social life, pretty much. On top of all that, I don't get along with my parents at all (the situation has been the same for years, which is partially the reason behind all my mental health issues), but I don't have money to move out.

I've had so many mental breakdowns during the last few months and I just don't know how to get out of that loop. In fact I had one today during class, and it's not like I can just point it out to my professor and ask him not to ask me any questions or straight up let me just leave altogether. It's really exhausting to have to study when I honestly have no strength for that.

Being as mentally ill as I am, I have been thinking about studying psychology. I think it would be really helpful and interesting. I would want to help myself out of this as well as other people, if I just can.
Sep 23, 2016 3:49 PM

Feb 2008
a lot of people in this 'survey' are possibly confusing depression with regular sadness
there's no info on what kind of people they surveyed either.
This is like when people were saying autism was on the rise, when people were just getting their kids checked more often.
Sep 23, 2016 4:29 PM

Dec 2014
Well, I have anxiety disorder and Insomnia, I'd say I hate Insomnia way more.
But yeah, some people have prejudice about that, thinking it's not a problem, until they realize they actually have a mental disorder, and mainly accept that.

When you say it's a serious problem in US and UK you're kinda generalizing a bit, lol
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Sep 23, 2016 5:35 PM

Jul 2012
RedCloud said:
Sitting all day doing nothing makes people depressed.

Keeping yourself busy is good for your mental health. But I guess it's hard to do that for some people.

Well i was going to post that but, you know...

Change your surroundings.
Sep 23, 2016 5:41 PM

Oct 2014
I believe social media plays a big factor in it. There's pressure with some people about followers and seeing others fabric themselves to others how they see fit
Sep 23, 2016 7:26 PM

Apr 2016
everyone will experience some sort of mental illness in their lives.

You mean the edgy kids that say they have insomnia because it takes an hour for them to fall asleep?
Sep 26, 2016 6:21 AM

Dec 2014
UnpopularAnime said:
everyone will experience some sort of mental illness in their lives.

You mean the edgy kids that say they have insomnia because it takes an hour for them to fall asleep?
One time I took around 6 hours to fall asleep, for real...
Sep 26, 2016 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
My longest is 2

Frag- said:
UnpopularAnime said:

I had insomnia or something bad like that
Sep 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Apr 2016
Frag- said:
UnpopularAnime said:

It took me a few days once. If it's not anxiety, your sleep schedule is probably just seriously messed up. I fixed my insomnia by getting off all drugs and waking up at the same time every day no matter what, and I wouldn't go to sleep until I felt tired.

It's been a few months since I started, and it's still not perfect but I'm sleeping every night for about 6 hours.
Sep 26, 2016 9:43 AM
Jul 2018
My libido. Please help me :(((((((((((
Sep 26, 2016 9:54 AM

Dec 2014
UnpopularAnime said:
Frag- said:
It took me a few days once. If it's not anxiety, your sleep schedule is probably just seriously messed up. I fixed my insomnia by getting off all drugs and waking up at the same time every day no matter what, and I wouldn't go to sleep until I felt tired.

It's been a few months since I started, and it's still not perfect but I'm sleeping every night for about 6 hours.
You took a few days to fall as sleep? On bed? lol
Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's my anxiety, my sleeping schedule is okay I guess. Sometimes I wake up on technically the time for school (6:30 AM), without no one coming to wake up me, if I know ofc. I've tried taking medicines for, my 'recents' one didn't really work, just a little bit.

Good luck then. I sleep about 6 hours too :P
Sep 26, 2016 9:56 AM

Mar 2015
Well, it's funny how I suffered all of those causes.

But mind you, self-harm really ain't a bad thing. The first time might hurt, but the adrenaline rush is worth it. :P
Sep 27, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
TrentJones said:
Liar said:

But mind you, self-harm really ain't a bad thing. The first time might hurt, but the adrenaline rush is worth it. :P

What the fuck. Self-harm provides a safety risk and announces that you are insane to employers.

A safety risk? Fair enough but people who self-harm don't give a fuck.
But insane? What part of self harm makes you insane?
Sep 27, 2016 11:06 PM

May 2013
For some people it might be best to take action, or to deal with it. For instance if you're a pro athlete you HAVE to have psycological evaluations as part of your contract. Well pro athletes don't often have mental issues but if you're say Dennis Rodman there's no getting around it lol.

But for some people, it might be best just to take it easy ;)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 28, 2016 6:27 AM

Feb 2016
changelog_ said:
[b] survey in 2010 revealed that 1 in 10 suffer from some sort of mental illness.

A survey? "Hey have you suffered mental illness?" "Yeah" "Great thanks!"
That's a survey, and is not a reliable method.

Another study had found that everyone will experience some sort of mental illness in their lives.

This is outright false, many people live their lives maintaining good mental health. Otherwise it wouldn't be an illness, it'd be a life experience. I'd love a link to the "study" that claimed this because it's fucking bullshit.

A recent study has shown that girls are more likely to be pressured into looking good as a result of posting their own pictures on Social Media. As a result of this researchers concluded that girls are more likely to have mental issues.

Girls are not "more likely" to have mental issues. Again, I'd love to see the study itself here, because in many places it's actually men who make up the majority of mental health numbers, men who kill themselves, and men who do not receive the treatment they need to get better. The numbers vary vastly from illness to illness, for example in diagnosed eating disorders young women are the majority. For schizophrenia, young men are the majority. Move the age goalposts a little bit to "over 30" and the playing field levels out a little in schizophrenia.

Women are more likely to be diagnosed with mild to moderate depression that can be managed with counselling and weak drugs. Men are more likely to have severe depression that ends with them taking their own lives. Women use suicidal actions in a way that ends with them being hospitalised and treated (it's a cry for help) whereas men are actually killing themselves.

In PTSD the main demographic there is war vets and battered wives, war vets usually having the most severe cases that are most resistant to treatment.

It's fallacious and wrongminded to talk about "girls are more likely to have mental issues". Which mental issues? Which girls? It's such a broad brush to sweep over everything, it's like saying "black people commit more crime". Ok, sure, maybe they do. But which crimes, and what are the circumstances that led to those crimes?

As for personal experiences, I've been suicidally depressed for the majority of my life (first suicidal thought was when I was 7, first action I was 12, first legitimate attempt was 16, diagnosed a year later at 17, now 24). I still haven't beaten it. It's horrible, and because it's been a part of "me" for so long I'm starting to genuinely doubt if I'll ever truly be rid of it. Every day is just a compilation of coping strategies, there is no overarching theme to my life, and I have no goals or dreams because (in the words of Wicked) "wishing only wounds the heart".

I appreciate the attempt to spread awareness in this post, but god, please, jesus, stop with the "girls are more likely to suffer mental illness" shite because it's actively killing young men. People still think of depression and anxiety, the most common mental health issues, as "womens' illnesses". Young men who experience them feel isolated, they feel they'll be laughed at if they reach out to their friends, and they ultimately aren't encouraged to seek treatment as a result. In terms of demographics, young men under the age of thirty (specifically 16-25) are the most likely to kill themselves, but people still focus on girls. We need to rebalance that focus, desperately.

EDIT:
Liar said:

I seriously hope you're trolling.
Sep 28, 2016 8:07 AM

Mar 2015
@Inly If self-harm helps a person deal with life, then let them. Depression is a pain in the ass.
Sep 28, 2016 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
@Liar
Absolutely not. Self harm is a symptom of a problem, and acting like it's ok is equivalent to saying "If coughing up blood helps a person with TB deal with life, then let them". No. It's a symptom of a very real and very treatable problem and should absolutely be dealt with appropriately.

Self-harm is inherently unhealthy, and I say this as someone who still occasionally does it. It doesn't act as a form of relief for very long, and it traps you in a very damaging cycle of self-hatred. Please don't try to fucking normalise it, thanks.
Sep 28, 2016 9:02 AM

Mar 2015
Inly said:
@Liar
Absolutely not. Self harm is a symptom of a problem, and acting like it's ok is equivalent to saying "If coughing up blood helps a person with TB deal with life, then let them". No. It's a symptom of a very real and very treatable problem and should absolutely be dealt with appropriately.

Self-harm is inherently unhealthy, and I say this as someone who still occasionally does it. It doesn't act as a form of relief for very long, and it traps you in a very damaging cycle of self-hatred. Please don't try to fucking normalise it, thanks.

Please do explain to this idiot how it's a symptom? Coz I see it as a way to escape. It ain't no solution but at least it fucking helps to relieve the pain.

And how would you treat this "very treatable" problem when a psychiatrist can't?
Sep 28, 2016 9:29 AM

Feb 2016
Liar said:
Please do explain to this idiot how it's a symptom? Coz I see it as a way to escape. It ain't no solution but at least it fucking helps to relieve the pain.

Nope, suicide is a way to escape. Look at the definition of symptom and then tell me self-harm isn't a symptom of mental illness.

And how would you treat this "very treatable" problem when a psychiatrist can't?

Well since the majority of self-harmers do so as a result of depression and depression is the most treatable of mental issues aside from anxiety, I'd question what kind of bullshit psychiatrist you've seen that "can't" treat it, and also whatever institution gave him his degree. Cause I mean...

Edit: And before you think I'm talking shit here, I've struggled with severe treatment-resistant depression for the majority of my life at this point. I'm an outlier, and my case is not the norm. If you are like me and you've tried everything and everything hasn't worked, you have my deepest sympathies and condolences. The odds of that are pretty low, though, and the majority of people eventually do find a treatment that works for them.
CinamoSep 28, 2016 9:33 AM
Sep 28, 2016 10:56 AM

Mar 2015
Inly said:
Liar said:

Nope, suicide is a way to escape. Look at the definition of symptom and then tell me self-harm isn't a symptom of mental illness.

Well since the majority of self-harmers do so as a result of depression and depression is the most treatable of mental issues aside from anxiety, I'd question what kind of bullshit psychiatrist you've seen that "can't" treat it, and also whatever institution gave him his degree. Cause I mean...

Edit: And before you think I'm talking shit here, I've struggled with severe treatment-resistant depression for the majority of my life at this point. I'm an outlier, and my case is not the norm. If you are like me and you've tried everything and everything hasn't worked, you have my deepest sympathies and condolences. The odds of that are pretty low, though, and the majority of people eventually do find a treatment that works for them.

I phrased that wrong, but I've self-harmed to escape, not coz it was a symptom. In fact, I did it before I was diagnosed. But I think I'm pretty sane, actually.

See, the thing is, most people diagnosed with depression have moderate depression and loads of times, it don't work. Anti-depressants, only for severe depression, are the only thing I've seen to work most of the time, and those are the same as self-harm, in that they're both usually short-term. You can also become addicted, which just worsens your condition if you don't get prescribed them, or don't take em.

Mine ain't severe and therapy didn't do shit. But mine's bipolar too, so that might make a difference.
Sep 28, 2016 11:17 AM

Nov 2015
Watching MAL forum users discuss mental illness is painful. Everyone thinks they're an expert.
Sep 28, 2016 11:47 AM

Feb 2016
NasalShark said:
Watching MAL forum users discuss mental illness is painful. Everyone thinks they're an expert.

ohai NasalShark long time no see.
Good point though, it bears mentioning that when it comes to mental illness, it's pretty rare for two people to present exactly the same. Just because I've experienced it myself, doesn't mean my word is gospel. Just opinions and experiences, and by no means is on the same level as a psychiatrist or psychologist who studied for years to learn about this shit.

Liar said:
I phrased that wrong, but I've self-harmed to escape, not coz it was a symptom. In fact, I did it before I was diagnosed. But I think I'm pretty sane, actually.

Lost of people show symptoms before they're diagnosed. The symptoms are what prompt the diagnosis.

See, the thing is, most people diagnosed with depression have moderate depression and loads of times, it don't work. Anti-depressants, only for severe depression, are the only thing I've seen to work most of the time, and those are the same as self-harm, in that they're both usually short-term. You can also become addicted, which just worsens your condition if you don't get prescribed them, or don't take em.

Mine ain't severe and therapy didn't do shit. But mine's bipolar too, so that might make a difference.

It's a common misconception that antidepressants are only for severe depression. It's actually the other way round, in the most severe of cases SSRIs are the least effective. They're much more effective at treating milder symptoms.
There's also very little evidence of actual addiction to SSRIs, which is the main reason they're used. People can come to rely on them in a way and be wary of coming off them, but addiction is pretty much unheard of. Which is why they're used.

Besides, people get addicted to paracetamol too, doesn't mean I'm not gonna pop a couple when I have a migraine :p

If you've got bipolar that explains why it's been "treatment-resistant" so to speak. In most cases, bipolar is a lifetime diagnosis and it's more a case of managing symptoms than eradicating the condition. (Or so my bipolar friend tells me, I can't say I've read up massively on it myself.)

Doesn't change the fact that there are a million and one other things that would be a better way to deal with it than self-harm though.
Sep 28, 2016 12:00 PM

Jul 2015
I have a vaccine against mental illnesses. I bang my head.
Sep 28, 2016 12:17 PM
Nov 2012
I suffer from Bipolarity, and was diagnosticated with it when I was about to graduate. I failed the last year because I fell into a huge depression, I had no interest in my social life, I just spent the day wondering abouth death and all that kind of depressing stuff. Started to take som pills for it during University, wich improved my condition. At the end I got fed up with all that bullshit and started to drink, avoid the pills, and as a result felt into a bigger depression than the last time. What I am trying to say is that as long as you keep a treatment and have someone who you can reeally trust, things will go (almost) smoothly. I say it because now I have a girlfriend who suports me, I am under treatment and studing journalism. I have downfalls, but can overcome them with teh help of my beolved ones.
P.S:
Bipolarity IT IS NOT about constantly changing your mood, but about having an irregular mood, like for example you are ok for a week and one day all of a suden start to feel nothing its worth, or reverse, you feel like the king of the world and you are entusiastic about anithing.
Sep 28, 2016 1:36 PM

Dec 2009
10 yr ago, 15% of population have some depression
it's declining !!
Sep 28, 2016 3:27 PM

Oct 2015
Just now, I read an article explaining that guys are more likely to have a mental troubles because of genes inside chromosomes : X chromosomes are the ones transmitting mental illness to children. The mother transmits the X chromosome while the dad transmits Y in case it's a little boy, while a little girl receives X from both parents. It means that a little girl will kinda have the 'Choice' unlike a little boy. In case a woman has a mental illness, it'll thus be more probable to be transmitted to her son than her daughter.
I'm not a specialist in all of that, apparently there has been experiments going in that sense.

changelog_ said:
Sings of mental illness:

- Anxiety
- Stress
- Eating Less
- Comfort Eating
- Self Harming

What illness would that be? I have been prone to pretty much all of it except the first one. Currently in the eating less period + Anxiety
NyarlathothepSep 28, 2016 3:37 PM
Sep 28, 2016 4:13 PM

Jul 2014
Inly said:
lol I was going to argue against you because it seemed like you wouldn't acknowledge when treatment doesn't work but after reading this I actually ended up feeling happy for a couple of seconds.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Sep 28, 2016 5:29 PM

Feb 2016
Rothion said:
lol I was going to argue against you because it seemed like you wouldn't acknowledge when treatment doesn't work but after reading this I actually ended up feeling happy for a couple of seconds.

I'd actually hate to come across sounding as if I'm saying treatment is some magic wand that cures everyone all the time lmao
That'd be some Grade A wishful thinking.
I also, though, implore people to exhaust all options before letting out a dramatic wail about how they "just can't be cured", not because I'm looking down on them like some sort of depression elitist but because for the majority of people it's just a case of being persistent until they find what works for them. I want to see people eventually get better, because nobody should have to live every day being crushed by their own mind.

Obviously the success of treatment is different for different illnesses, too, and for many mental illnesses it's more about managing symptoms. I can only speak for depression and anxiety really, since they're all I have first-hand experience of.

I'm glad my post could bring you a moment of happiness, though ^^
Sep 28, 2016 6:01 PM
Dec 2015
I've suffered with schizophrenia and am bi-polar, just take your bloody medicines. I hate how modern society has somehow glamorized these illnesses, people come up to me and say yeah I feel like I have schizophrenia too because these songs keep playing in my head and oh my god I'm depressed like man get your facts straight, please. Before claiming to have any mental illness, get yourself checked. It's not a joke and it doesn't make you any cooler. If youre trying to be edgy and saying you've got a mental illness please double check with a proper doctor first.
Sep 30, 2016 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
50 replies :3 Didn't expect this :D This forum is for anyone who needs help so you know you're not alone!
Sep 30, 2016 2:06 PM

Dec 2014
changelog_ said:
50 replies :3 Didn't expect this :D This forum is for anyone who needs help so you know you're not alone!
Are you interested to be a psycologist or a psychiatrist? Cause you sound to worry a lot about that lol

More topics from this board

» Anyone had a Drought Emergancy declared for their area?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by Serafos »»
30 seconds ago

» Is this forum dead? It seems like it.

DesuMaiden - Apr 17

41 by 9765 »»
10 minutes ago

» If you are going to Dubai and need a car, enter here

cotetowemixx - Apr 9

9 by Noboru »»
11 minutes ago

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

9 by Meusnier »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk?

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

18 by UncreatedSong »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.