Forum Settings
Forums

All reviews and rating are bias, there's no objectivity. stop over valuing ratings

New
Sep 21, 2016 3:17 PM
Nov 2014
MAL users at the thought that Gintama will take another spot in the top 10

Me

All reviews and ratings are bias, there's no objectivity. stop over valuing ratings. I rated Gintama 10 and The Tatami Galaxy 10, that doesn't mean they are equal. These ratings shouldn't be used as a quantifier of what a "Masterpiece" is. By this I mean just because Gintama is number 3 shouldn't suggest that it's better than all the series below it.
BangaloSep 22, 2016 2:18 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 21, 2016 3:20 PM

Feb 2013
you don't understand i wanna sheet on the bed bananya is the real masterpiece of this year, it has 10-10-10-9 top reviews
Sep 21, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
there is a certain degree of objectivity, though. not because you like a show that it's good, but you're free to rate it whatever you want, as long as you're capable of criticising it for its flaws.
Sep 21, 2016 3:21 PM

Jan 2016
I think it's gonna be at around 9.20.The anti-Gintama army is gonna come off strong with the multiple created accounts to rate it 1.
Sep 21, 2016 3:24 PM

Aug 2016
Bulmakur said:

All reviews and ratings are bias

1. *Biased
2. I wouldn't deny there is an element of bias in a review, however that really shouldn't be the disqualifying factor.

there's no objectivity.

Of course there is objectivity.

Let's say I review a show where character X performs Y action. Saying X performs Y is an objectively true statement. If I say X performs Y and that is stupid, then there is an element of subjectivity. But so long as I am able to present my reasoning behind why I think it is stupid, I dont' see the point as to why it should be written off purely because it is subjective.

stop over valuing ratings.

Hear hear!

I rated Gintama 10 and The Tatami Galaxy 10, that doesn't mean they are equal.

It would imply they are very similar in their quality. Unless you disagree with the mathematical principle that X=X.

These ratings shouldn't be used as quantifiers of what a "Masterpiece" is.

What's wrong with using a subjective rating system to define what you see (subjectively) as a masterpiece?
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 21, 2016 3:29 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
demonskul777 said:
as long as you're capable of criticising it for its flaws.

God, I hate this mindset.

Why should everybody be forced to look at things through a critical lens? Better yet, what if the person legitimately takes no issue with it? Why should they talk about it as a flaw just because a general consensus considers it a flaw, when they weren't arsed to care about it in the first place?

It's one thing to be irritated at fanboys who get mad any time somebody dislikes something they liked or vice versa, but this train of thought heavily implies that there are always certain flaws that must be acknowledged as being a problem for each particular anime just because a bunch of people say so, even if the person who they're trying to force to say "this sucked about it" didn't really care or even liked that aspect of the show.

Reaching an understanding as to why a person or multiple people liked/disliked something about an anime that you don't necessarily agree with is all fine and good, but acknowledging flaws is only important if you're somebody who's trying to create an unbiased review. Not everybody watches anime to create unbiased reviews, some people are more content strapping themselves in and going for a ride instead of trying to determine the physics and best routes of the path they're taking.

Also, when it comes to things like concepts, objectivity can fuck right off. Animation, maybe, if only because I've seen a Studio Deen work or two, but we're shitting ourselves if we think that, especially on a conceptual level, objectivity is something that even exists. Objectivity would imply factuality and a fact is something that is pretty much 100% proven to be undeniably true. Water is objectively wet, for example. People can deny that, but they're just going to sound crazy.

anyway

OP is good OP, I praise OP
ManabanSep 21, 2016 3:38 PM

Sep 21, 2016 3:29 PM

Jul 2015
Just because something is popular.or unpopular does not mean i will enjoy it. I go into an anime blind for this reason.
Sep 21, 2016 3:33 PM

Jan 2008
Don't worry, Gintama just got another TV series release announcement so that's 1 less show on the top 10 that doesn't have Gintama in the title.
Sep 21, 2016 3:34 PM

Apr 2013
You are right but moralfags and Yukinofags are fucking cancerous regardless.

and that's a fact.
Sep 21, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2016
Every masterpiece is a 10 but not every 10 is a masterpiece in my opinion. I would only give 3 anime i've seen a near masterpiece rating. They have slight flaws here and there sure but their strenghts go above and beyond to cover their weaknesses. Im a bit objective but for me enjoyment is all I really look for. I hate those people that bash you for having too many 10's and say you're too generous

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Sep 21, 2016 3:39 PM

Jan 2014
I don't know what gave me more cancer, the pics you added or the already done thread.
Sep 21, 2016 3:44 PM

Jun 2015
You do seem to care, regardless. And hence the thread.
That one also looks like a nice stance for a Gintama fan to defend, which doesn't serve to this thread any purpose.

I mean, relativism and stating that everything is subjective in anime in particular is an old tag line that takes away any relevance for discussion. It's pointless per se, doesn't enhance any productive conversation and it's been repeated to death.

No, thanks.
Sep 21, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2014
Well when half of the top ten list consists of gintama (As much as I love it) and some groups are dedicated to mass up voting/down voting anime (Fake accounts and such) especially new popular anime it's hard to take ratings seriously. It's pathetic. I know there's a group for re/zero dedicated to up voting negative reviews and trying to lower it's ratings.

Reviews are also a joke you either get blind praise circle jerk or a hate circle jerk. Rarely see any middle ground.
Sep 21, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2012
You didn't need to write that much to say the people aren't worth shit.
Sep 21, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2016
never read review that has score above 7 and below 4
because it's always blind fanboys and blind haters
if you want to read more neutral review read when the score is 4-7 that actually talk about whats good and whats shit about the anime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 21, 2016 3:57 PM

Aug 2014
Lisbon said:
demonskul777 said:

Why should everybody be forced to look at things through a critical lens? Better yet, what if the person legitimately takes no issue with it? Why should they talk about it as a flaw just because a general consensus considers it a flaw, when they weren't arsed to care about it in the first place?

It's one thing to be irritated at fanboys who get mad any time somebody dislikes something they liked or vice versa, but this train of thought heavily implies that there are always certain flaws that must be acknowledged as being a problem for each particular anime just because a bunch of people say so, even if the person who they're trying to force to say "this sucked about it" didn't really care or even liked that aspect of the show.

Reaching an understanding as to why a person or multiple people liked/disliked something about an anime is all fine and good, but acknowledging flaws is only important if you're somebody who's trying to create an unbiased review. Not everybody watches anime to create unbiased reviews, some people are more content strapping themselves in and going for a ride instead of trying to determine the physics and best routes of the path they're taking.

Also, when it comes to storytelling and concepts, objectivity can fuck right off. Animation, maybe, if only because I've seen a Studio Deen work or two, but we're shitting ourselves if we think that, especially on a conceptual level, objectivity is something that even exists in those departments. Objectivity would imply factuality and a fact is something that is pretty much 100% proven to be undeniably true. Water is objectively wet, for example. People can deny that, but they're just going to sound crazy.

anyway

Weren't we talking about subjectivity of reviewing and scores though? i don't mean to say that the casual viewer has to care about noticing flaws or anything. that comment was written out of the mindset that the person was going to discuss the show, though. That might have been unclear.

The casual viewer has to be honest about flaws if they do notice them, that's all.

Quality of the anime is objective; animation/resolution/sound quality... Not everyone is going to be annoyed as much as others, or consider them as bad, even, but they remain what they are.

Some things in writing are not done. Not everyone knows what good or bad storytelling is and that's fine, but that doesn't undo the fact that it can just be "badly written". You don't have to be bothered by it. I'm purely talking about structure of course and not the concept of the story.

I'm not gonna judge people for not seeing those kinds of things, because it comes down to experience and how much you care about it.
metadataSep 21, 2016 4:05 PM
Sep 21, 2016 3:58 PM

Jun 2015
I mean, there is some objectivity if you rate based on things like art/animation quality, sound/VA quality, show rather than tell mentality, informative cinematography, etc. You know, things that can be objectively good or bad. But it doesn't even matter these days for the most mainstream anime because the ratings are practically useless. Because this:

davinci12 said:
Well when half of the top ten list consists of gintama (As much as I love it) and some groups are dedicated to mass up voting/down voting anime (Fake accounts and such) especially new popular anime it's hard to take ratings seriously. It's pathetic. I know there's a group for re/zero dedicated to up voting negative reviews and trying to lower it's ratings.

Reviews are also a joke you either get blind praise circle jerk or a hate circle jerk. Rarely see any middle ground.

*shrugs apathetically* I just rate things how I see fit and others should do the same lol.
Sep 21, 2016 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
You can't tell me what to do! I will over value ratings as much as i want OP! :c

demonskul777 said:
there is a certain degree of objectivity, though. not because you like a show that it's good, but you're free to rate it whatever you want, as long as you're capable of criticising it for its flaws.

+1 This ^
Sep 21, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2012
I just completed Amaama to Inazuma and I see this: "Ranked #898"

If I was still harboring a shred of belief in MAL scores it just died. There is no way a show that poorly animated, voice acted, or written is in the top 1,000 all time.

j/k I gave up on scores long ago.
Sep 21, 2016 4:01 PM

May 2015
>comedy anime that 5 people are caught up with gets another season

>
Bulmakur said:
I rated Gintama 10 and The Tatami Galaxy 10, that doesn't mean they are equal.

Are you stupid OP? That's the reason you give things the same score, to show that they are as good as each other. All my 10/10's aren't the exact same worth to me, I'll give you that, but they are so similar in worth that deciding which I like more comes to a fraction of a percent of liking something else more.

Ratings and reviews are not objective but making a thread about people (wrongfully) complaining about a series score and saying "oh just cause an anime is ranked higher then others doesn't mean it's better", if you haven't watched either one it may as well be. This doesn't matter once you start watching them, but the reason we show consensus ratings is to show people something that they might want to watch.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Sep 21, 2016 4:04 PM

Feb 2013
man this thread is getting too serious lets bring some recursive shitposting
Seidou_Takizawa said:
You can't tell me what to do! I will over value ratings as much as i want OP! :c

demonskul777 said:

+1 This ^
^+1 This
Sep 21, 2016 4:07 PM

Mar 2014
Kimi no na wa is objectively liked by a greater percentage of the people who've seen it than any other show.
Sep 21, 2016 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
romagia said:
man this thread is getting too serious lets bring some recursive shitposting
Seidou_Takizawa said:

+1 This ^
^+1 This

demonskul777 said:
Lisbon said:

Reaching an understanding as to why a person or multiple people liked/disliked something about an anime is all fine and good, but acknowledging flaws is only important if you're somebody who's trying to create an unbiased review. Not everybody watches anime to create unbiased reviews, some people are more content strapping themselves in and going for a ride instead of trying to determine the physics and best routes of the path they're taking.

Also, when it comes to storytelling and concepts, objectivity can fuck right off. Animation, maybe, if only because I've seen a Studio Deen work or two, but we're shitting ourselves if we think that, especially on a conceptual level, objectivity is something that even exists in those departments. Objectivity would imply factuality and a fact is something that is pretty much 100% proven to be undeniably true. Water is objectively wet, for example. People can deny that, but they're just going to sound crazy.

anyway

Weren't we talking about subjectivity of reviewing and scores though? i don't mean to say that the casual viewer has to care about noticing flaws or anything. that comment was written out of the mindset that the person was going to discuss the show, though. That might have been unclear.

The casual viewer has to be honest about flaws if they do notice them, that's all.

Quality of the anime is objective; animation/resolution/sound quality... Not everyone is going to be annoyed as much as others, or consider them as bad, even, but they remain what they are.

Some things in writing are not done. Not everyone knows what good or bad storytelling is and that's fine, but that doesn't undo the fact that it can just be "badly written". You don't have to be bothered by it. I'm purely talking about structure of course and not the concept of the story.

I'm not gonna judge people for not seeing those kinds of things, because it comes down to experience and how much you care about it.

+1 This

Indeed to serious.... want the popcorn?
Sep 21, 2016 4:10 PM

Aug 2014
romagia said:
man this thread is getting too serious

Yeah, I'm usually more of a troll, who pretends to be serious. I feel like i'm out of character
Sep 21, 2016 4:14 PM

Jan 2014
I really love how users only bring up this agrument whenever it's discussing their favorite series and how it's getting shit on by other users.
Sep 21, 2016 4:17 PM

Oct 2010
"Stop discussing things that do not have an objective value and therefore can be discussed" the thread.
Sep 21, 2016 4:32 PM

Jun 2010
jal90 said:
"Stop discussing things that do not have an objective value and therefore can be discussed" the thread.

It's a "I don't know how to properly use these words in a sentence but I was told adding them to my thread makes me sound intelligent and very mature for my age" episode.
Sep 21, 2016 4:37 PM

Sep 2016
Just rate everything 10 from now and destry the top ten.
Sep 21, 2016 5:00 PM
Nov 2014
You can discuss/review anime without rating it. People seem to focus on how a series is rated or the harsh words used in a discussion/review about that series.

Me giving series the same score isn't supposed to suggest that they are as good each other. How do you even calculate that? They are two different separate series. I see ratings as being satisfactory level with 1 being unsatisfactory and 10 being satisfactory. People are free to choose what they use when scoring. It could be plot, story, characters, sound, etc.

What you guys call objectivity is simply you guys trying to let people understand why you feel the way you feel about a certain series.

How can there be objectivity if the arguments used to rate a series high and low are both valid? Who's right?
Sep 21, 2016 5:00 PM

Dec 2013
Do I sense a recently butthurt Gintama fan?
Sep 21, 2016 5:03 PM

Aug 2009
I kind of would agree, but I do use these ratings from thousands upon thousands of viewers to try to gage what to watch/not watch (this wont deter me from watching something that's just unknown and not actually known and bad)
Sep 21, 2016 5:53 PM

Sep 2016
dakotasapphire said:
I kind of would agree, but I do use these ratings from thousands upon thousands of viewers to try to gage what to watch/not watch (this wont deter me from watching something that's just unknown and not actually known and bad)

The same way metacritic gets percentages from all reviews but it's not an indication of anything as much as "--% this is the amount of people who like this thing at most".
Generally scoring calls for objectivity because reviewers deal with someone else's expectations and hype, fans or whatever club of samey kids, and that's bullshit. It's school test stuff. They'd be better off writing how they feel, basically speaking for themselves, rather than score separately story/ animation/ etc when every score system in the internet is a different thing to begin with and screams "do I look a legit critic yet?:0".
FondenteSep 21, 2016 6:18 PM
Sep 21, 2016 6:09 PM

Jun 2015
Subjectivity =/= immune to judgement. Please stop this bullshit.

All reviews and ratings are bias, there's no objectivity. stop over valuing ratings. I rated Gintama 10 and The Tatami Galaxy 10, that doesn't mean they are equal. These ratings shouldn't be used as a quantifier of what a "Masterpiece" is. By this I mean just because Gintama is number 3 shouldn't suggest that it's better than all the series below it.

Excuse me, "masterpiece" isn't objective to begin with. What I rate high is subjectively better than what i rated low.
Sep 21, 2016 6:15 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i just don't pay attention to reviews lol

while i obvious do look at ratings, it doesn't affect whether or not i watch a show. especially considering i watched/am watching two 5.0+ anime this ending season

i've also watched anime with less than 500 members lol, so my decisions aren't affected by others opinions
Sep 21, 2016 6:29 PM
Nov 2014
AltoRoark said:
Subjectivity =/= immune to judgement. Please stop this bullshit.

Excuse me, "masterpiece" isn't objective to begin with. What I rate high is subjectively better than what i rated low.

Obviously, that's what everyone does. LOL you just agreed with me. A rating/review becomes Subjective when it is conditioned by your reason/s for feeling that way about what you're rating/reviewing.
Sep 21, 2016 6:40 PM

Nov 2015
Those pics are So Edgy I can't take this thread seriously lmfao
thanks @grimace for the jon stamp i love you
Sep 21, 2016 8:32 PM

Feb 2016
only fanboi will take rating seriously. they dont like kimi no na wa on 1st rank, and they also dislikes top 10 were dominated by gintama series (anime stats shows it all)
Sep 21, 2016 8:35 PM

Aug 2008
#animeinternetrankingmatter

says no one from Japan ever.

Reviews and ratings are all totally subjective. Critical thinking = subjective. Critical thinking when applied to entertainment are totally subjective. If you are being objective, then you are not a critique A masterpiece is also subjective depend on individual. Unfortunately, most anime fans are not intelligent people and doesn't realize this. But there's really no reason to take rating/ranking seriously.

Having my favorite anime selling well or winning award such as Tokyo Anime Award are so much better than those worthless ranking or worthless internet review/discussion.
ZapredonSep 21, 2016 8:50 PM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 21, 2016 8:42 PM

Feb 2015
demonskul777 said:

Damn that mindset that just really, at the Elitist aspect... @kamisama751 shouldn't you have to evaluate this dude, I can see the potential oozing inside of him...

Now, like I said, ratings are just a "number", either people/users put "value" into it and have this kind of "rules" that they have to follow, or just let it be a number. Either way works...
Sep 21, 2016 8:43 PM

Dec 2015
Obviously not. A lot of people turn away from an anime without rating it, knowing it would suck, so that anime ends up getting overrated because only those who likes it watches it.
Sep 21, 2016 8:56 PM
May 2015
Your exactly right when you said, "just because Gintama is number 3 shouldn't suggest that it's better than all the series below it."
I personally think that there is no #1 anime. Of course with rating #1 is determined but not everyone thinks the same. I admIt GIntama Is good but not In my life time would think its in the top 5 anime on mal, it shows alot of people other than me love It whether they over rating it or not.

I don't wanna listen to you, i rate pokemon 10/10 regardless of the anime flaws and greatness. Loving a series and enjoying a series is different to determining the score taking in the consideration of plot, character development, etc.... Why should i give a 5/10 score for a 5/10 if i enjoyed it.
Sep 21, 2016 8:59 PM

Mar 2016
There is an objectivity in how the numbers are distributed and calculated though. Gintama opens itself up to extreme over valuing because the majority of the people who watch season after season are the fans, so there's only to be a higher percentage of 10/10 ratings.
It's an objective fact that for every gintama season that makes it to the top 50, another anime is going to drop out of the top 50 which means less exposure.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 21, 2016 9:30 PM
Jul 2016
Objectivity in a human concept such as value is impossible because value over the course of human history has changed multiple times this means the the idea as suggested by the title of this thread there is a modicum of objective value in a piece of entertainment generated by humans the inventors of their own concepts of value is absurd. If all human beings agreed that Gintama was the shit and deserved 10/10 ratings every single time it still wouldn't make it objectively valuable because in closing objectivity exists and operates independent of our subjective minds.
Sep 21, 2016 9:42 PM
Jul 2016
It doesn't really matter what you do with your nights because all human activities are pointless objectively speaking because we determine our own value and a lot of us will disagree, a method was invented to combat the issues that arise when two people discuss subjective matters it's called Intellectual discourse.
Sep 21, 2016 9:45 PM

Jun 2016
I dont care of ratings, I watch what I like :D...
even its rated as 6 I'm stil lwatch it if i like the idea.
to all bias reviewers go suck your dick:D hehe

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 21, 2016 9:49 PM

Jul 2015
What's the point of discussion when the question was already answered by you? Why not write a blog post instead?
Sep 21, 2016 10:07 PM

Oct 2014
MAL ratings are bs anyway.

You know when Ratings on a site are bad when you have to use a different mentality for them.
Sep 21, 2016 10:16 PM

Jun 2014
Why should I feel bothered by reviews/ratings and what people or majority think they should be rated? Let Gintama be in the top ten, but that doesn't mean I'm going to watch it early because the majority says so.

I watch what I want and rate how I want. Anybody else is irrelevant to my opinion.
Sep 21, 2016 10:17 PM

May 2015
I dream of a day when all the top 10 is filled only with Gintama.
zalSep 21, 2016 11:10 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2016 10:48 PM

Dec 2015
Think with your own head, and problem will be solved. Simple as that
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

11 by SwordBreaker36 »»
3 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

11 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

27 by SwordBreaker36 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
24 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.