Forum Settings
Forums

Lenovo delibreately locks people from using OS other than Windows 10

New
Sep 21, 2016 2:09 PM

Nov 2011
Apparently, people are not able to install linux distros on their lenovo laptops that come with windows 10. someone looked at the bios code, and there seems to be a check, which returns EFI_UNSUPPORTED - presumably to stop other OS from loading - effectively locking people into using windows 10. (1)

Lenovo denies that it's deliberately locking people into using windows 10. They also denied installing spyware on their laptops, until they were caught red-handed (2)

(1) https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Installing-Ubuntu-16-04-on-Yoga-900S/td-p/3336715/page/2

(2) http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/lenovo-rootkit-malware.html

tld;r Lenovo now forces windows 10 onto you through bios. you cannot run linux on a Lenovo laptop
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 21, 2016 3:36 PM

Aug 2016
Lenovo sucks anyway.
Sep 22, 2016 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to the new age. Where privacy doesn't exist anymore. I can definitely see Microsoft paying Lenovo to force the user to install Windows 10.
Sep 23, 2016 2:12 AM
May 2009
Why would you buy a Laptop with Windows pre installed just to format and install a different OS?

Its not guaranteed that the OS your going to install would work anyways.
Sep 23, 2016 3:36 AM

Jul 2013
Not sure but alot of technicians uses Lenovo and they would require to dual boot or use other OS so I don't know it could be just an BIOS update to solve it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2016 5:19 AM

Jul 2007
shintai88 said:
Why would you buy a Laptop with Windows pre installed just to format and install a different OS?

Because using Win10 is not an option many people want and I should be free to use any OS I want and it not working properly should be MY problem, not the company's who made the hardware and decided to handhold me into not being able to even install it.
Sep 23, 2016 5:55 AM

Apr 2013
Well in that case fuck you Lenovo :P
Sep 23, 2016 7:40 AM
May 2009
Fai said:
shintai88 said:

Because using Win10 is not an option many people want and I should be free to use any OS I want and it not working properly should be MY problem, not the company's who made the hardware and decided to handhold me into not being able to even install it.

True Win10 is a piece of crap. But in that case why not just buy a different laptop or PC that comes with a different OS. I mean consumers can argue, they want the freedom to install another OS. But the product was designed and pieced with Win10 in mind. Its just a case of buyers beware.
Sep 23, 2016 12:51 PM

Jul 2007
shintai88 said:
Fai said:

True Win10 is a piece of crap. But in that case why not just buy a different laptop or PC that comes with a different OS. I mean consumers can argue, they want the freedom to install another OS. But the product was designed and pieced with Win10 in mind. Its just a case of buyers beware.

"buy a different laptop" only works as an example when there are companies still not doing that.
Not caring or not stoping this increases chances others will do that.
Sep 23, 2016 2:15 PM
Sep 2015
Why buy computers with preinstalled OS? That sounds obnoxious and a waste of money. Just install it yourself and customise it however you want, much easier imo.
Sep 23, 2016 2:17 PM

Nov 2011
TiaDee said:
Why buy computers with preinstalled OS? That sounds obnoxious and a waste of money. Just install it yourself and customise it however you want, much easier imo.

it's not like you have much of a choice if you're getting a laptop.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 23, 2016 2:21 PM

Jun 2014
TiaDee said:

Some people are too stubborn to buy computers online where I live, and buying computers online is the only way to get a computer without an OS.

All my computers came with Windows, and I didn't have a choice, because stores in my local area are not allowed to sell computers without an OS. I of course, wiped Windows off all of them. All my computers run Linux, even my Mom's computer.

Sep 23, 2016 2:21 PM
Sep 2015
DreamingBeats said:
TiaDee said:

it's not like you have much of a choice if you're getting a laptop.

Bought my laptop two years ago (it's Lenovo btw) no OS and installed win 7 on it. Didn't have to deal neither with the superfish charade, nor with this thing (though I do agree that Lenovo are assholes that can go fuck themselves).

@Seiya Most people buy computers without an OS installed here (and either ask their IT uncle or do it themselves), because the ones with installed OS are expensive af.
Oct 4, 2016 4:12 AM

Sep 2014
Necrobump, kinda but

>Buying consumer craps

With this recent development, there is even less reason to buy consumer models (in the case of Lenovo, everything but W/X/T series Thinkpads). You get better build quality, its easily up gradable with a lot of genuine new aftermarket parts (mostly batteries, sometimes screens) because business dumps them out during their upgrade cycle.

As for laptops with no preinstalled OS, its quite a rarity in most countries, aside from Clevo custom built (sold under brands like Sager, Metabox, Ibuypower, etc...). Its usually the one with high piracy rates (asia, eastern europe, etc...) where OS aren't pre installed to reduce licensing cost as the store will probably install you a cracked copy anyway

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

31 by Timeline_man »»
27 minutes ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
7 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
8 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
8 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.