Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2017 12:01 PM

Aug 2014
The movies theme itself is great but i think they handled it quite poorly.
The technical aspect is obviously good but my problem was with the characters mostly and how they act.
Like for example they cry too much, bunch of weak crybabies is never a good character for me, especially if they do that for silly reasons like "Kawai-chan"
The events felt rushed too and i couldn't relate with them.
I also find it extremely not realistic for Ishida to still guilt himself and hate himself like that for so many years over some bullying, this is just over dramatic.
Like Anohana the main theme is great but the way they handle it is poor, they always rely on many tears and fake character acts or melodrama which i find boring and silly.

6/10

Jun 27, 2017 9:00 PM
Aug 2015
This is a very oddly directed film. Most scenes felt so... colorless and empty.
Jun 27, 2017 9:25 PM

Aug 2008
Fuckin dug this moviw. Could be the best foreign film of the year alongside Kimi no na wa for me.
Jun 29, 2017 9:12 PM

Aug 2013
Finally got around to watching this movie. My god I'm glad I did. This movie was absolutely beautiful.

It did an incredible job of showing a person who became the lowest of the low, earnestly working towards a path of redemption. Not only that, but it really emphasized on what it means for someone to hate themselves to the point of suicide, and the journey of finding out how to love yourself and learning about why it's ok to live.

I've never been the kind of person to have those kind of thought, but this movie did such a surreal job at making Ishida and Nishimiya human, that I could basically visualize myself in their shoes; which only added to the emotional factor.

The ending in particular left me misty-eyed and kind of awestruck. When he takes his hands off his ears, and is basically introduced to the whole world in front of him he's had closed off for so long. It was colorful and vivid, and all washed over him like a flood and moves him to tears.

One thing that kind of disappointed me was how the confession from Nishimiya didn't lead to anything at all, despite how early on it happened. Granted romance wasn't the main focus of the show, but the theme was still present nonetheless. And I found out from some other posts that aside from the manga ending, they don't really focus on it more there either, it's still basically open ended. It doesn't detract from the story at all, but I think it's definitely something that would've added even more impact and emotion. I don't think anyone would've objected to seeing it.

Only other thing that I didn't really enjoy was how shitty his old friends were and how he just let them back in. They all tossed him under the bus with knives in his back, and then proceeded to beat the shit out of him daily for years, but they still eventually want back in on the friendship. Of course you could argue that Ishida did the same thing to Nishimiya, but the difference there is he knew he fucked up big time. It ruined his life, and he was genuinely trying to change himself and apologize to her. Meanwhile with his friends, for the most part they were like "oh hey, we're kind of sorry about what happened. Can we go back to the way things were?"

Also Kawai was a fucking cunt. Probably the worst character. She was in on the bullying, constantly laughing at what was happening to Nishimiya. And EVERY time she was called out on it, she twisted it to make herself seem like an innocent victim, and then started screaming and unloading into Ishida tenfold. When they were kids she started crying to gain the class's sympathy, and in high school she starts screaming to get the class's attention that Ishida was a horribly person who used to bully people and that she never did anything to anyone. And yet everyone was still ok with having a fucking snake like that in their circle of friends? I mean fuck, Ueno was a bitch, but at least she was honest about everything and owned up to her shit.

But all of that was more of just a personal gripe. Didn't really take away from my overall enjoyment of the movie since the movie was about Nishimiya and Ishida.
Jun 30, 2017 6:32 AM

Jun 2016
Re-watched the movie for the nth time, and it still made me cry so hard. This movie is just so special to me and to everyone who's been suffering from depression and anxiety.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 30, 2017 2:54 PM
Sep 2016
a very decent film, just having reminded old days in England of being marginalised as a foreign student, lol....
Jul 3, 2017 8:20 PM

Dec 2015
Visual eye candy! like asdjkajhdandfsajh! The animation! landscapes, OST! character designs is so STUNNING! One of the most gorgeous lookin anime movies!

Yeah anyway, I love the manga, the movie have cut some of the scenes in the manga but still It was really great to me overall!
Jul 4, 2017 4:39 AM

Jul 2012
Both the film and manga did some things better than the other.

Since this story was adapted into a film, they couldn't have possibly fit everything in. But it still sucks with some of the stuff that was cut. All the side characters had more development in the manga, especially Mashiba, who felt like there was no reason at all for him to be in the movie, and afro head best friend Nagatsuka, who felt more like a best friend in the manga. The violence was a lot harsher, and the bullying in grade school was more fleshed out. The teacher was even worse in the manga 😠

Now onto the good things! The film was absolutely gorgeous :O, and I love the subtlety of the soundtrack to compliment Shōko's deafness. I also want to say that it might've developed Ishida more. I never really understood the X’s on everyone’s faces, but the movie tells you pretty clearly why they’re there. Both mediums ended at a weird place, but the film did a better job with it.

Overall, I enjoyed the manga more than the movie. I feel like a silent medium works really well with this kind of story, and the silence made a few scenes more impactful imo. Although, the movie was really good also, so I would recommend experiencing both mediums if you really enjoyed this story 😊
AndoJul 4, 2017 5:07 AM
Jul 5, 2017 8:47 AM

Jul 2014
Not a bad movie, but it felt rushed.

Still, this is by far the best thing KyoAni has made in like ten years.
Jul 6, 2017 6:49 AM

Jan 2014
Really beautiful, and quite moving, though I think some little stuff were a bit exaggerated. Nonetheless, it was great to watch!
Jul 6, 2017 1:46 PM

Jan 2010
Wow I watch this totally wasn't expecting some heavy shit and totally didn't prepare myself.

Shoot, I cried non stop, I don't remember when the first tear was, I think it's when Nishimiya about to jump but maybe before that, I think it's in Ishida's scene but couldn't remember which. I just remember the tears steadily falling non stop since the moment Nishimiya tried to jump.

Even with this poor execution, this anime can make me felt this emotional but it's mainly due to the theme.

As for the anime itself, I think they did quite poorly at it. Sometimes it feels like the scenes jump to another, sometimes I was lost on what was going on, some sign language left untranslated (I really had a hard time understanding when they just use sign language)
I feel like they expect us to understand and follow the story with scenes after scenes just thrown to us. Some scenes really like jumped and out of nowhere.
I think this could be much better as a TV series instead of a movie. Initially want to give it a 7 but the art and animation is beautiful and I did got very emotional so 8/10

Also I watched a file my bro downloaded and the subs is untolerably shitty I had to like 80% relied on my japanese skill. Might rewatch it with better sub in case I miss something. Man my eyes is gonna be swollen at this rate... sigh
Jul 7, 2017 12:57 AM

Oct 2015
That was the greatest anime movie to have came out of 2016, better than this kimi no Na wa. I dont like romance but i would have loved for Nishimiya and Ishida to have been together in the end. That despicable Ueno became a bitch until the end to Nishimiya. Damn i really hate that character so much and Kawai, oh also Ishida's former friends are shit.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 25, 2017 12:27 AM

Jun 2009
agree, natsuki subaru's friends were terrible for backstabbing his slacker butt back then, dunno why he wants them all to make up. Unlike the friends in anohana these guys were never really his friends. Even worse mio akiyama clearly shows she has no intention of ever making up ever, and some of the other friends looked like they couldn't care less. I feel like the movie cant really put them up together without the 'film project' that the manga is centered around, because without that subplot it looked like to me that they really had no reason to get back together. They are all clearly still living in the past and looked like they didnt really want to make up anyway. So really the entire time I was really confused how and why they kept trying to get back together and clearly failing to do so
Aug 1, 2017 12:02 AM

Jan 2013
There is so much to say about this movie.
Of of the best moments of the movie was when Shouko confessed herself to Shouya and he thought that she said "moon" ahahaha omg He completely ruined that moment xD Btw Shouko is much cuter with a ponytail :3
Loved this anime but i feel like something was missing...maybe a "i like you too Shouko" would be nice. At least i hope they ended up together.
The one thing that i don't understand is why Shouya had to apologize, especially Ueno & that blonde girl.
The art was so gorgeous, and the story is amazing too. This was so perfect!
First, it was Shouya's mother apologizing to Shouko's mother, and later it went the other way, what a big turnovers life can give us.
When i first saw Maria i was like wtf xD Who is that girl? But since Shouya's sister married a Brazilian dude, it all makes sense now xD
Definitely, a movie to rewatch! 10/10
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 4, 2017 5:00 AM

Oct 2013
They included the best parts from the manga and removed the slow boring scenes (the whole movie making thing). Better than Kimi no Na Wa imo. Shouko a qt, both the MCs deserve happiness tbh.
Aug 4, 2017 3:40 PM
Mar 2008
From someone who was disappointed by how the manga developed, I loved the movie.
They cut all the bullshit and unnecessary parts (like the fucking movie) and focused on delivering the themes and messages of the story.
As one could expect, animation is top notch all the time, and the soundtrack is fantastic.
Not trying to start a movie war, but I liked this so much more than Kimi no Nawa.

GohanwaOkazu said:
One thing that I didn't fully understand by first view was one of the triggers that motivated Shoko to confess her feelings with her own voice.

There are other moments which I felt first hard to understand but which has implications and reasons why made so.

I completely missed that. I feel so dumb.
Aug 5, 2017 10:33 PM

Mar 2014
What in the fuck was that cat shop?

8/10
Aug 9, 2017 6:13 PM

Nov 2007
The movie is amazingly handled. What can I say more about the movie which received heaps of praises from contemporary animators/directors including Shinkai Makoto.

I think the things that felt light to me compared to the manga are

As for the movie, I think I liked how they removed the movie making part. That was the only part in the manga that felt a bit slow paced. Also, the movie had to focus on the main characters mainly due to time constraints, so most of the characterization and development of the side characters had to be left out which is understandable.

The ending was a bit different in the romance front but I can live with that. We know how KyoAni usually handles the romance aspect of the stories so it was more or less what I was expecting. Ultimately, this anime isn't about romance just like Hyouka or Hibike! Euphonium.

Considering they had to adapt 7 volumes of this amazing manga in a two hours featured film, I doubt any other studio could have done it better. Also, it was Yamada's first directing that captured the monologues and internal conflicts of a male protagonist unlike her other works so I have to say she did yet another amazing job. The biggest achievement of her work is definitely the subtlety of human emotions with the surroundings. I didn't fail to notice how she captured them through hanakotoba, koi and many other small details in this movie, the same way she did with Tamako Love Story. She is an amazing director.

I think bar the pacing, which was a bit disjointed here and there, the rest of the movie scores 10/10 in all other aspects. The plot, the story, the characters, the art and the animation, the sound effects, the use of metaphors, the way the intended message had been conveyed. Everything. Call me a bit biased because I sure am when it comes to KyoAni so yeah, a 10/10 from me.

I can happily say that I loved this amazing movie as much as I loved the manga which sits in my all time top 10, the only manga in my top 10 to this day which doesn't focus on romance. :)

With my interest in anime in general diminishing after so many years of watching as I am growing older, anime like Koe no Katachi will give me the nudge that there will always be some, albeit few that would keep me around for a little longer as a fan of this medium.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 10, 2017 1:48 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
ziggy_Z said:
What in the fuck was that cat shop?

8/10
It's a cat cafe. They're kinda like petting zoos, but they exclusively have cats.
Aug 11, 2017 9:42 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah I...I REALLY don't know what to think about this.

I knew from the very beginning that it would be impossible to properly adapt the manga in a mere two hour movie. What I totally did not expect at all was that they would actually adapt the whole thing. I considered this impossible and was conviced they would stop somewhere in the middle. Adapting the whole thing gave the term "rushed" a whole new meaning...

On one hand it's fairly impressive that the end result was still pretty decent. On the other hand, this movie really REALLY does not do the manga justice.

I guess by itself the movie is fine. I probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the manga. But I did (actually finished a re-read literally 10 minutes before watching the movie) and so I can't shake the feeling that making this into a movie was a big waste of what could've been an amazing series.

?/10
Aug 11, 2017 3:20 PM

Apr 2010
The manga was definitely better but it was still really good. There were some bits I would've liked to see included but for the most part they were very smart about what to cut and what to include. I know it's a serious and touching story, but the tone is a bit weird - the manga handled things with more humor and I think I preferred that. Still, it was pretty good.

8/10
Aug 16, 2017 12:07 PM

Oct 2013
Such amazing story and art, i don't think it's overrated, i truly enjoyed the movie alot and the character development was spectacular, the love hate relationship between them is so fun to watch and somehow i can relate to my school life.

But the thing is, I WANT ISHIDA AND NISHIYAMA TO BE CANON.. because there was only slight hints about them being together at the end, meaning they're going out. i expect nothing since i know KyoAni won't do that kinda stuff, but still i want to believe that they're started dating each other after all those things they've been through together even when they met at the bridge at the end.

Overall score 8/10
Aug 20, 2017 1:40 AM

Apr 2009
I watched this without any expectations and the first 20 minutes was painful to watch especially when the kids were bullying their deaf classmate, then even when Nishimiya's mother got into it for revenge. Although the rest of film was devoted to how Ishida tries to redeem himself, heck even Nishimiya's mother showed humility when it was their family who was at fault near the end.

I almost cried when Maria hugged Ishida when he came home from the hospital, I have a stinking soft heart for kids most especially cute and innocent anime kids. I don't know why but they've never shown the face of Ishida's older sister, they've shown her Brazilian husband's face at the end but never hers.

The forced and trying-hard gibberish sounds Nishimiya were making were cringe-worthy hearing but perfect in my opinion, even the translated subtitles were great and fitting.

8/10 No complains from me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 20, 2017 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
To me this film was great, It showed a great depiction of how feelings can be so overwhelming and how they can just take control.

The characters were great and done so well in such a short time frame, everyone becomes lovable and hated!

At the end with the fireworks, time literally stops and my heart was racing; super anxious.

I have watched this film quite a few times an I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray!

Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

Hats off to KyoAni
Aug 28, 2017 9:58 PM

Jan 2014
What an amazing movie. I really like the changes that they did with the movie. The scenes felt more realistic and less cringy from what I remember back then. I also noticed that they skipped some of the interactions between Ishida and the other characters but I think it was a good choice since it felt that there is more development with Ishida himself.

I give this movie a solid 9. It did not feel like I was completely satisfied with the movie since I felt that the ending was rather weak. It seems like there are more to the story or rather with the characters that the movie can offer but lacks.
renzbiohazardAug 28, 2017 10:03 PM
Recommend me an anime
Aug 29, 2017 5:36 PM
Dec 2013
Dr-Eyes said:
The movies theme itself is great but i think they handled it quite poorly.
The technical aspect is obviously good but my problem was with the characters mostly and how they act.
Like for example they cry too much, bunch of weak crybabies is never a good character for me, especially if they do that for silly reasons like "Kawai-chan"
The events felt rushed too and i couldn't relate with them.
I also find it extremely not realistic for Ishida to still guilt himself and hate himself like that for so many years over some bullying, this is just over dramatic.
Like Anohana the main theme is great but the way they handle it is poor, they always rely on many tears and fake character acts or melodrama which i find boring and silly.

6/10

They turned in on him. He was the one who was being bullied now. So I don't know why you think Ishida's guilt and his isolation because of his friends and by himself were unrealistic?

Social Anxiety and low self esteem do go that far. People do get lost and that particular age is one of the fragile moments where things can get really bad.

It scares me to think people are this apathetic when it comes to characters or subject like this.
Sep 4, 2017 5:31 PM

Jul 2014
Came in to this incredibly hyped and expecting a beautiful emotional rollercoaster. Left me feeling mostly satisfied but a bit conflicted. I might be one of the few people who watched the movie first but still feel like the manga is better. I think my problems with the film can be summed up to: latter half's pacing due to the cramming of a bunch of important scenes without enough time to really focus on each of them, a lack of exploration into the secondary character motives that would have better explained their role in the friendship conflict (and thus justify the existence of the conflict and its dramatic tension), and the whole romance dynamic between Ishida and Shouko that kind of undercuts the story's themes of redemption, atonement and forgiveness. Oh wait, that last one is also part of the manga and is even more pronounced in it. Argh, why did the author feel the need to include that into the story?
KazuyaKiyoshiSep 4, 2017 5:34 PM
Sep 6, 2017 1:34 AM
Sep 2017

Emotion over 9000. Love till the end!
Sep 10, 2017 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
Shouya's mother having her earring ripped out kinda caught me off guard.
Had a feeling Yuzuru was her little sister and not boyfriend / brother.
Yeah Ueno, that's the cool thing to do when you're grown up, bully the same way you used to in elementary school ... ugh.

I love how it all turned out alright though, teared seeing how even Shouko finally resorted to taking her own life, no wonder seeing as what's she's been having to live through and eventually coming to the conclusion it was all thanks to her.

The animation and music were truly amazing, characters actually felt like real characters.
I hate seeing fights and drama because it affects me since I always get so invested in the shows I watch and this was definitely one that hit me hard.

Together with "Your Name" these films really did a number on me this year.

10/10
Sep 13, 2017 9:29 AM

Sep 2008
Kyoani nailed this adaptation. They cut out a lot of that bloat that I didn't care about and kept all the best parts. I definitely prefer this over the manga. I still wish the story had more romance in it, though.

This adaptation is like what I dream Onani Master Kurosawa would be like if it ever became an anime. Though I know that won't ever happen.

Sep 13, 2017 6:58 PM
Dec 2013
This movie is a testament to just how invisible depression can be to an observer. Some try and hide it, some don't have the courage to tell others, some keep it bottled up inside. The worst part is sometimes you never truly know what's going inside them until they just reach out and straight up tell you what's going on, or until it's far to late.
Sep 15, 2017 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
....Omg ... To be honest I forgot about this Anime plot and just went in Blind...

When Shouko was 1st Introduce at the school... I felted weird... I mean... Really Weird ...cause she's deaf...
Then She was singing and speaking off tone... which was Cringe... I can Understand... but still Cringe... I would never have the Guts to make friends with her... I'm not a good guy.
I Can understand Kids (I was once like Shouya Friends) Does not know what's wrong or right until they are told Personally.
I was like... IN YOUR FACE D*ck Head. And Years after The Guilt that build up in him of wanting to Die... He when and see Her... I think She Forgave him.
Was Surprise how Much he also wanted to talk to her... By Learning Sign language.

This is too long...I'll make it short... here's what I Give point for this anime.

Shouya And Shouko Developments, Their Parents, Yuzuru, Broccoli Hair guy (especially Broccoli Hair Guy... that dude is a Bro), Making Shouko Fit in with the rest, Shouya Questioning Himself About FriendShip. Shouko feels like she should just stop Existing. They way They Portray How Shouya Looks at people... In school They all mostly mark X... but outside of school they are not... Honestly a Good Movie... I won't compare. 9/10 best part was Shouko Interactions... Hand Sign... Speeches... voice acting was great.

Edited... Also The Homeroom Teacher... Is so Relatable. That Shout Gave Me Bad Memories when I was a kid. He look a lot like my Math teacher too.
LoongFeelsSep 15, 2017 10:38 AM
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Sep 16, 2017 5:14 AM

Jun 2010
Someone just kill me honestly. I just love Nishimiya this girl has golden heart. Got tired of crying
Sep 16, 2017 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, I think this movie was great. It had very human emotions and playing a character like Shouko is never easy. Yet, I think the VA did an incredible job.

The first 15 or so minutes of this movie made me hate Ishida quite a bit. The way he bullied the deaf girl was relentless. I don't blame the drama that poured onto him as he got bullied himself. Karma served him right. "I ended up alone".

Character chemistry between Shouko and Nishimiya really made me feel a lot for them. I think in many ways, their relationship can be relatable when reflecting on the bullying antics. The transition from the pasto to the present timeline also felt effective especially with the way Shouko reacted to Nishimya reintroducing himself to her. And by not doubt, I was not surprised by how she reacted. Again, I think a lot of the scenes from this movie made me feel a lot for the characters. The human expression and the personalities are what I found really meaningful.

Also, I think the movie did a fair job with the character expressionism with the crossed out faces. It symbolizes the people that still cares about him and those that don't. Nishimya's change in character is very noticable in the present timeline. It shows that people can change through experiences. Nishimya's sister is also an interesting character from the present timeline imo. Between the two, I think she's the type that can make friends more easily.

Ueno is still the same character from the present as in the past. It's sad really when you see how she tries to bully Nishimya but also Ishida. Some of the dialogues said by her kinda ticked me off, not that I'm surprised since she was like that the moment she appeared in the movie. I couldn't really her accept her character or role in this movie as a whole.

The part with Ishida saves Nishimiya is big highlight of his character in the last 40 minutes of the movie. Just felt like he changed so much.

On the technical front, I thought Kyoto Animation did a great job with the visual elements. Not just the symbolism and character designs but the actual quality. It's stellar and nothing short of impressive. Add the dramatic music, it really brings this movie to life.

Overall, I'd rate this 8/10. A terrific movie that I can't help but feel attached to.
Stark700Sep 16, 2017 10:33 PM
Sep 23, 2017 1:35 PM

Aug 2012
I saw this movie at my local theater that had a special event and i was surprised that it was almost full seated, i wonder if its because of the popularity of the movie or Anime got more popular in my country all of a sudden...
But anyway, the movie was fantastic! It gave me a rollercoaster of feelings throughout the movie, i might find it even better than Your Name.

10/10
Sep 23, 2017 11:00 PM

Apr 2014
really enjoyed the movie, it had all the elements i enjoy. it's not perfect but i'm still giving it an 8 purely because i liked it so much and you have got to appreciate the beautiful animation.

one thing that bothered me is the fact that aside from the short afro guy and Shouko's family and maybe the tall freckles girl, the rest of the friends seemed fake. like they kept coming back only when it was convenient, i find it hard to believe that they were genuine friends at the end. i wish they could have handled that better, otherwise i enjoyed the movie a ton
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2017 6:23 PM
Mar 2016
What is this light funnel thing that is seen both at the beginning and in the end? Is he dead after all?
Sep 29, 2017 3:20 PM

Dec 2014
i dont get why Nishimiya all of a sudden wanted to commit suicide one minute you have her enjoying fireworks and then the next she's standing on the balcony ,sure her grandma passed away but she was doing fine after that too, the movie didnt explain it well other than that movie was good
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Oct 9, 2017 6:11 AM
Sep 2017
I just saw the movie and I don't know if anyone already answered something like this but a scene confused me.
Oct 13, 2017 9:12 AM

Dec 2014
ok that movie was way emotional and good...manga was better....open ended endings suck

overall the movie was good and was executed excellently
Oct 16, 2017 4:32 PM

Jun 2015
I really enjoyed the movie. The art and music conveyed many emotions that maybe the manga didn't, but I do admit the movie left out some things from the manga. However, I think it makes up for it with the stunning visuals and symbolism. I may be biased because I've been hyping for this movie since 2015 haha.

Here's an AMV I made, and I thought the song really fit the story line.
https://youtu.be/MA8dS7H8wo0

Oct 22, 2017 11:22 AM

Sep 2014
Just watched it (finally!)

Absolutely amazing. Even better then kimi no na wa because the story is more down to earth.

I will definitely watch it in the cinema if it ever gets here
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 23, 2017 6:47 PM

Oct 2008
pretty bonkers that this (and Your Name) are ranked above Spirited Away (and so much more)....
MAL is fucked
Oct 25, 2017 8:42 PM
Mar 2015
I'm happy I saw this in theaters. This movie was one HUGE emotional roller coaster for me and it was fantastic. 10/10

Also this is probably the 1st I've seen a high schooler and a mother duke it out on a parking garage. Interesting.
Oct 25, 2017 8:43 PM
Mar 2015
Comander-07 said:
Just watched it (finally!)

Absolutely amazing. Even better then kimi no na wa because the story is more down to earth.

I will definitely watch it in the cinema if it ever gets here

I did where I lived. It was great.
Oct 26, 2017 12:52 PM

Jul 2014
Had a fairly meh opinion of this initially, but I've rewatched it this time around. I think I can better pin my issues with the movie

Fucking loved much of the first half of the movie, as it had majority of the film's most powerful scenes. Holy shit the suicide confrontation with his Mom and the fist fight where Shouko says "im doing my best!" absolutely ruined me.

But the tired ass friendship drama was so fucking boring and made me want to give up because it pretty much became the focal point of the movie. It wouldn't have been a nearly as big of a problem if we were showed that them rekindling their bonds would have a genuinely positive effect on their life. But these guys were legit just connected through their shallow elementary school life. Why the fuck do Shouya and Shouko need to make peace with them when they aren't part of their life anymore? How can the audience be expected to care about this sappy teen drama that they know is forced as fuck? Doesn't help that we get no little to no background of the other characters, so their involvement and reason for caring about this mess is seriously questionable. (hell, I still didn't enjoy the drama even while reading the manga which DOES flesh out some of the characters).

They should have cut out the stuff about elementary school friends and give us more of what was in the first half. Just bittersweet, but heart-warming goodness from the 2 main character's relationship. The way they fell in love was very sudden and turns me off of their romantic relationship to a certain extent. I wont deny that their bond is extremely cute and endearing, but I honestly wouldn't have had a problem if the they had a purely platonic relationship to shift the movie's emphasis strictly towards themes of forgiveness/repentance instead of also including romantic love into the mix. Romance is nice but I don't think it was needed for this film to be powerful.

Despite all that, I still give this an 8 because there is just too much to appreciate about this film. Everything about this is a work of art, and I can't bring myself to dislike such a immensely emotional and deep movie. Its the type of anime that makes me proud to be an anime fan. An anime that I can sing praises about and recommend to non-anime watchers because of how far reaching it is. It is the encapsulation of all the admirable qualities of the anime medium without any of the scummy pandering bullshit.

Its not the mind-blowing masterpiece that many people are painting it as, but damn does it deserve every bit of love and respect that its showered with. Keep on fighting the good fight, Kyoto Animation.
Oct 26, 2017 12:53 PM
Dec 2012
Man, this anime film was awesome! I cried in the theaters... I love slice of life animes. Makes me rethink life. I hate Ueno though.
Oct 26, 2017 12:54 PM

May 2015
simo000 said:
pretty bonkers that this (and Your Name) are ranked above Spirited Away (and so much more)....
MAL is fucked

KnK deserves it. Your Name doesn't.

Nov 2, 2017 5:45 AM

Feb 2017
Can someone explain Ishida's mother's bleeding ear? I'm really confused

☆°•*.`•艾门°*.`•°☆
Nov 6, 2017 4:21 PM

Dec 2016
A truly beautiful and heartwarming movie! A true masterpiece and boy did I suffer the feelz!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (15) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

257 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 3, 1:41 PM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.