Forum Settings
Forums

Makoto Shinkai's Kimi no Na wa earned 9.1 billion yen/Novel Sold Over 1 Million so far..!!!

your name.
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 20, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2012
Ezekiel said:
PoeticJustice said:
Miyazaki is about to die of a heart attack confirmed
I'll take another Miyazaki movie over a Shinkai movie any day, to be honest. If only I could make him thirty years younger. Never understood the antipathy he gets from anime fans. Insecurity?

people realized that miyazaki isnt that good. After the nostalgia wears off, his stuff is just western critic bait
Sep 20, 2016 5:27 PM

Nov 2008
PoeticJustice said:
Ezekiel said:
I'll take another Miyazaki movie over a Shinkai movie any day, to be honest. If only I could make him thirty years younger. Never understood the antipathy he gets from anime fans. Insecurity?

people realized that miyazaki isnt that good. After the nostalgia wears off, his stuff is just western critic bait
He didn't bait anyone, he did what he wanted. You barely understand Miyazaki. Not surprised you haven't seen most of his movies. But I am surprised you gave Spirited Away and Mononoke-hime a 9. Not that good...
EzekielSep 20, 2016 5:39 PM

Sep 20, 2016 6:10 PM

Jun 2010
Gymkata said:
Anyone know how long this project has been in the making? Are we talking Redline/Petrov type man hours or something much quicker?

First draft was discussed with ComixWave (mostly him and his buds) on late 2014.
Early planing, production and rough screenplay near Apr/Jun 2015.
If he was "alone" like his early works, it would probably take from 2~3 years to do all the drawing and animation. However, with this ensemble of industry legends together, the increased staff and a huge budget, I assume it went pretty smoothly. Seriously, the amount of people who worked on this thing is massive.
Guys working on background coloring and in-betweens probably worked over-time. But that's expected.

It's funny watching MAL trying to discuss it, though.
People here seem to forget that your profit is usually proportional to the effort and money put into production.
Sep 20, 2016 8:30 PM
Sep 2013
This movie that good huh? I'm not surprised its good since its Mokoto Shinkai but THAT good? I tend to not like anime movie, with some of Shinkai's movies being the few exceptions so I don't know if all the praise of this movie is gonna really mean anything to me.

"The Girl Who Leaped through Time" was highly praised but I thought it was only average, and it was one of the better movies.
Sep 20, 2016 11:18 PM

Apr 2016
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-21/makoto-shinkai-your-name-novel-sells-over-1-million/.106720

lol, over 1 million copies.
even the novel adaptation of the movie is kicking ass..xD
Sep 21, 2016 2:03 AM
Sep 2016
xbobx said:
Gymkata said:
Anyone know how long this project has been in the making? Are we talking Redline/Petrov type man hours or something much quicker?

First draft was discussed with ComixWave (mostly him and his buds) on late 2014.
Early planing, production and rough screenplay near Apr/Jun 2015.
If he was "alone" like his early works, it would probably take from 2~3 years to do all the drawing and animation. However, with this ensemble of industry legends together, the increased staff and a huge budget, I assume it went pretty smoothly. Seriously, the amount of people who worked on this thing is massive.
Guys working on background coloring and in-betweens probably worked over-time. But that's expected.

It's funny watching MAL trying to discuss it, though.
People here seem to forget that your profit is usually proportional to the effort and money put into production.

The hardest part would be thinking of a kickass theme then create the plot the animation part would be much easier with that kind of staff. He shouldn't rush it mediocre film is a no-no, although I won't expect him to top this movie anytime soon.
Sep 21, 2016 3:29 AM

Jan 2014
Way too early to be talking about this.
And the projections are wrong. It's pretty much guaranteed to gross 20 billion yen+, because pretty much only the Spirited away outpacing it right now. It broke the record of the best forth-weekend of all time, beating harry potter's first movie held record for 15 years straight.

P.s People should really stop comparing Shinkai to Miyazaki. They are way too different.
TapuTapuuSep 21, 2016 3:39 AM
Sep 21, 2016 3:32 AM

Oct 2012
PoeticJustice said:

inb4 miyazaki announces his newest last movie.
Sep 21, 2016 4:01 AM

Nov 2014
Ezekiel said:
PoeticJustice said:

I'll take another Miyazaki movie over a Shinkai movie any day, to be honest.

Same. Shinkai's gaudy imagery and star-crossed lover tragedies doesn't appeal to me. His movies lack subtlety. I'm only somewhat hyped for Kimi no Na wa because Hiroyuki Okiura is a key animator. That guy is a god.

If only I could make him thirty years younger. Never understood the antipathy he gets from anime fans. Insecurity?

Many Western anime fans probably dislike Miyazaki because he's so admired by Western audiences. They also tend to have a negative knee-jerk reaction to Western movies and animation as a whole. Not sure why.
Sep 21, 2016 4:11 AM
Sep 21, 2016 4:36 AM

Nov 2008
aikaflip said:
Ezekiel said:

I'll take another Miyazaki movie over a Shinkai movie any day, to be honest.

Same. Shinkai's gaudy imagery and star-crossed lover tragedies doesn't appeal to me. His movies lack subtlety.
Yeah, that's exactly my problem with his work.

If only I could make him thirty years younger. Never understood the antipathy he gets from anime fans. Insecurity?

Many Western anime fans probably dislike Miyazaki because he's so admired by Western audiences. They also tend to have a negative knee-jerk reaction to Western movies and animation as a whole. Not sure why.
This makes sense. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2016 5:39 AM

Oct 2008
Ezekiel said:
aikaflip said:

Same. Shinkai's gaudy imagery and star-crossed lover tragedies doesn't appeal to me. His movies lack subtlety.
Yeah, that's exactly my problem with his work.

To add my point, I never liked Miyazaki's focusing on "human versus nature" moralizing and his abstraction from Japanese culture (where he kinda detaches from the industry - which claimed him more easily western appraisal and let Ghibli survive early 90s, of course - but it still leaves him as non-anime as he can be).

Side note - this stems from the 80s differentiation of anime. It was back in start of 80s where anime split into two big branches - popular anime for TVs and "serious totally-not-anime" movies. Movies survived 90s and early 2000s way better off (many other studious other than Ghibli went bankrupt in early 90s), which might have - just guessing - given Miyazaki some kind of self-importance. A feeling that his way is "the artistic one, the right one", because look at Ghibli - it survived where others didn't, it has to be right. But these days his movies are on decline and people prefer the other branch, the one which revived with Evangelion and then in late 2000s up to now, the more Japanese stuff, ecchi, fun, slice of life, fantasy, etc. And it seems clear that he doesn't want to reflect on what he can improve and how he can get closer to viewers - instead he blames the viewers that they don't get him. I think this is what causes the most backlash among the community as a whole - that he doesn't try to understand, but simply blames viewers.

But I digress. In fact the Ghibli pieces I like the most are those, where they avoid these themes (human vs nature and lack of Japanese culture) - and they are usually not led by Miyazaki (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Kaguya-hime - all done by Takahata, Umi ga Kikoeru done by Mochizuki and Nakamura). The only Miyazaki led movie I appreciated completely was Kaze Tachinu - and even that is focusing on one of the most non-Japanese periods of Japan (Meiji fascination with the West).

I don't like overdone moralizing in my movies and I think Miyazaki falls to it very often. I prefer to see people interacting with each other and untold outcomes. People in Shinkai movies don't shout at each other about loving or about how far they are, you see it from the scenes. After second Miyazaki movie I found the "hero connected to nature shouts at people how bad they are for destroying it" scene very generic - and he still uses it, pretty much every movie. Heck, even Goro couldn't avoid it in Arietty (and it was the worst part of the movie, felt like literally forced in).

To summarize - to a very big extent, me prefering Shinkai over Miyazaki is prefering "the distance between two people" theme over "human is evil and is destroying nature" theme, done in their respectful ways and using their respectful methods.
Sanya-nyaSep 21, 2016 5:45 AM
Sep 21, 2016 5:43 AM
May 2014
5 cm per second is a very subtle movie

A lot of plot points are told visually rather than through dialogue

Even Garden is subtle besides the ending

Miyazaki is obv a legend but Shinkai is clearly a great filmmaker and he shits on 99% of animators and directors in this format at the moment
Sep 21, 2016 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
Shinkai comments on his success: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-09-20/makoto-shinkai-comments-on-your-name.s-10-billion-yen-revenue/.106667

Shinkai said. "This box office revenue is not exactly proportional to my own ability...I don't have "10 billion yen" worth of merit. I fear the assessment of my merit [based on the film's earnings] is becoming a bit unbalanced."

Shinkai admitted his bewilderment that the film became such a huge hit, and expressed his humility in the rest of the brief interview.

When asked if the film is a work he has confidence in, he replied that, "This time without considering anything, I thought I would probably get feedback that it was enjoyable; that's the kind of self-confidence I had."

He added, regarding certain scenes in the movie and the tourism they've inspired, "The footbridge that appeared onscreen that I thought was a good setting to put in the anime is actually from where I live. After the movie's release, there are a lot of people walking there and taking pictures...I thought 'I'll try not to come here anymore'."
Sep 21, 2016 9:59 AM

Oct 2012
I'm wondering now will Kimi no Na wa outsell Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi's 30.4 billion.......

I mean it's been a long time since that movie held that record. I'm gonna see if Shinkai Makoto can dethrone Miyazaki Hayao.

Or maybe, no one ever will.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Sep 22, 2016 7:32 AM
Jun 2013
hisokathebutcher said:
the movie suck ( though i haven't watched it

^ MAL in a nutshell
Sep 22, 2016 8:36 AM
Dec 2012
What's shousetsu kimi no na wa?
Is that the book ver aimed at the younger crowd that had the green border?

EDIT: Also, broke through 10 billion yen yesterday.

EDIT2: Here's an interesting documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdlwk_Xw33w
iceacoSep 24, 2016 9:27 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Na wa. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

checkdafool - Jul 3, 2016

1387 by Hphone »»
Yesterday, 4:51 AM

» The only couple that could say they’ve been in each others shoes

Angglio_1 - Apr 9

19 by Fenyy »»
Apr 14, 9:03 AM

» Something I found about Makoto Shinkai's other work

past_feelings - Apr 10

36 by TheSkilledSnake »»
Apr 13, 1:25 PM

» Is Your Name the best and worst thing to happen for Makoto Shinkai?

JuliusKingsley0 - Dec 29, 2023

47 by taleco »»
Jan 2, 1:22 PM

» Happy birthday to you two..

Suka-7777-Suka - Nov 30, 2023

26 by apkaptn1 »»
Jan 2, 10:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.