Forum Settings
Forums

For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of anime. Like, why are they doing this? And why must every anime title now have word Zero in it?

New
Sep 19, 2016 11:47 AM
Sep 2007
Here's how you make anime titley: Dragon' Ball - that's it, anime about Dragon Balls, dragon's Shenlong's balls that grant wishes. everything is told by two words.

Personally, I can't even remember whole titles these days, and for instance, every time I google MyAnimeList, there is result Re: Zero... etc...

Btw, before I continue, I have absolutely now idea what Re: Zero is about, aside that on some sites I saw hentai fanarts of some blue haired maid, but I promise you, I will never watch it.

Anyway, what do you guys think reason for long titles in anime is now, does Japan people think that's cool?

Here's another example of great anime title - Pokemon, short for Pocket Monsters, monsters that you catch in balls that you can carry in your pocket (well, they usually carry them on their belts, but you get it).

Enjoy in thread.

Oh and, speaking about keeping up with long titles, never mind (or is it nevermind?) that, can you guys even keep up with all these new anime at all?

IMO, there should only be reboots and continuations, and Hayao Miyazaki's movies.

God, I would kill to see entire Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko (best slice of life manga ever) being animated by Miyazaki.

There are already two beatiful OVAs, but that isn't enough.

God, why isn't there some gold fish or something, so I can't wish for no VN adaptations, but for things that really matter?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 19, 2016 11:49 AM

Apr 2015
Isn't the trend more for "Re" this season? ReLIFE, Rewrite, Re:Zero...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 19, 2016 11:50 AM

Jan 2013
For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of your threads. Like, why are you doing this? And why must every thread title now have stupid shit in it?
Sep 19, 2016 11:52 AM
Sep 2007
CatSoul said:
Could be, but I really talk more in few years actually.

There can't be season without it.

I think at first it was some common sign of prequels, but now it's seems it's there just for being there.

Klad said:
For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of your threads. Like, why are you doing this? And why must every thread title now have stupid shit in it?
I don't recall forcing you to post in my threads.
Sep 19, 2016 11:53 AM

May 2015
Zero sounds cool, means starting anew and that's the point of the show, a hikikomori that starts a new life in a world where he is the hero and if he fails he can restart from zero until he manages to surpass every obstacle.

Even in Code Geass lelouch calls himself zero because he wants to destroy and start over the world (or something like that)

Moreover if you want to complain about long titles you shouldn't make a thread with such a long title containing zero.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2016 11:55 AM

Oct 2014
Incidentally, this thread has a long-ass title and the word zero in it. The trend got to you too before you even knew it.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Sep 19, 2016 11:55 AM

Sep 2014
I think the long title thing mostly comes from light novels. Pretty much, they want to draw in potential readers with as little effort as possible. As such, you get titles like "I can't believe my little sister is this cute!" This acts as a bit of a synopsis and a title too, and these titles are always shorted by fans.
This personally doesn't bother me either way. Really, I think it's kinda smart.
I do like the 80's style titles the most though, I have to say.
Gunbuster.
Terminator.
Macross.
Something about that just seems cooler ahah

I don't know how correct I am about this though, so pls don't kill me.
Sep 19, 2016 11:56 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I can't remember where I read it but the long titles seem to have to do with light novels. Basically, the competition is so fierce the best way to advertise the books are to have a very descriptive titles.
Sep 19, 2016 11:58 AM

Feb 2013
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Incidentally, this thread has a long-ass title and the word zero in it. The trend got to you too before you even knew it.
Psajdak deffo knows what he's doing lolz
Sep 19, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2015
From what I hear, zero does not exist in Japan's numerical system. They also tend to be interested in foreign stuff, so the recurrence of the number zero makes sense.
Sep 19, 2016 12:18 PM

Sep 2014
I'm curious, have you ever considered reading this box rather than expecting to gain insight from a title in a language you, presumably, are not competent in.

Sep 19, 2016 12:24 PM
Sep 2007
ScarletSentry said:
I'm curious, have you ever considered reading this box rather than expecting to gain insight from a title in a language you, presumably, are not competent in.

You do get that this isn't about Re: Zero anime?

I just put it as an example, and just by the way, wanted to announce that I will absolutely never watch it.

Same as will never even give chance to this new Shinkai's stuff that is currently #1 on MAL, that I can pretty much know what it is about without even reading synopsis.

It's about long anime titles in general, anyway, something that is already answered.
Sep 19, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2016
https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Most of them are under 5 words
Sep 19, 2016 12:30 PM

Mar 2015
Try their light novels, it will blow your brains out then.
Sep 19, 2016 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Idk, did you try googling the question before coming here?

Japanese authors have explained it before multiple times.
Sep 19, 2016 12:35 PM

Sep 2014
Psajdak said:
ScarletSentry said:

You do get that this isn't about Re: Zero anime?

I just put it as an example, and just by the way, wanted to announce that I will absolutely never watch it.

Same as will never even give chance to this new Shinkai's stuff that is currently #1 on MAL, that I can pretty much know what it is about without even reading synopsis.

It's about long anime titles in general, anyway, something that is already answered.

Fair enough but that box does two of the things you seemed to rant about. It gives you an idea what the anime is about and it gives you a short name to use. Also I'm not fully convinced this is a trend. I mean this season also had Relife, Rewrite, Orange, New Game, 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100, Taboo Tatoo and probably more I don't remember. As you said though it's been answered, it looks like light novel sourced anime have longer titles due to the trend in that market.

Sep 19, 2016 12:44 PM

Apr 2013
The saviour of anime has yet to be airing tho, but it's already confirmed as an anime (probably 2017) :
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33502/Shuumatsu_Nani_Shitemasu_ka_Isogashii_desu_ka_Sukutte_Moratte_Ii_desu_ka
After this one, everything else will seem shorter.

There, happy? :D
Sep 19, 2016 1:02 PM

Feb 2016
Well if you wanna miss out on the best anime out there so be it, i hope you regret it one day.
For the actual post its only been this season which has had a lot of Re in it, Rewrite, Re zero and Relife, tbh idk why the title of an anime bothers someone, at the end of the day just cause it has a weird or stupid title dont shit on the anime, there are lots of anime with a stupid or shitty title but it does not change the fact that having a bit of repetition shouldnt affect the anime at all.
Also i dont see this as a trend at all, just a coincidence.
I haven't heard zero used much tbh, some anime just go well with Zero in it and suits the anime perfectly.
Oh and dont go shit talking anime you have never heard of scrub at least watch an episode or 2 if you wanna judge it.

Sep 19, 2016 1:11 PM

Oct 2014
Usually it's that light novels have long names and they don't get shortened when they're adapted. There are a few long titled original anime like C and Anohana, but they are in the minority. Zero isn't even a trend. There hasn't even been much of a trend for a lot of titles to include the same word. The closest is the three anime this season with the prefix "Re" in their titles or the word "Nichijou" which has been used in many titles. "No" just means "of" in reverse so naturally it is a very common word to see in anime titles.
Sep 19, 2016 1:12 PM

Sep 2009
Because Japan doesn't have the literary proficiency that the West does to inspire short, yet meaningful titles.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 19, 2016 1:17 PM
Dec 2014
Is TC for real ? they made a thread just about this ? dose anyone else think TC has a very sad life
Sep 19, 2016 1:18 PM

Oct 2014
MortalMelancholy said:
Because Japan doesn't have the literary proficiency that the West does to inspire short, yet meaningful titles.
They do have the four on contractions though, which isn't something we can do in English. Eg. "O Re I Mo", "Wa Ta Mo Te", "Jo Shi Ra Ku", "Go Chi U Sa", "Ha Ga Na I", "Ki N Mo Za", ect. We don't have an equivalent to "on" in English that people use (there is "mora", that many people care about) so our closest would be syllables, which isn't that similar. This is why haiku don't work in English.
Sep 19, 2016 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
From what I've heard, long title are used as hooks. They basically explain what the show is all about in that title. Idk if it's true though.
inb4
Sep 19, 2016 1:22 PM
Sep 2007
Yourlolm said:
Well if you wanna miss out on the best anime out there so be it, i hope you regret it one day.
I really doubt there will ever be anything better than Gunbuster, LOGH, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko.

It's simply impossible, the only thing one can do is just up their resolution, I guess.

Especially Gunbuster - never, ever, ever, ever, in infinite billions of years will ever be anything better than Gunbuster when it comes to anime in general.
Sep 19, 2016 1:25 PM

Dec 2013
That's quite a thread title you've got there, since we're on that subject lol.

meh...Patlabor was every bit as good as Gunbuster
Sep 19, 2016 1:26 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
are you Japanese? why should they care what YOU a non Japanese person think about the titles of anime? im African and my full name is 27 letters long

to say a simple english phrase in a language in Japanese may require alot more words due to they way they structure everything and their words

SOME LANGUAGES ARE LIKE THAT....

GTFO....
Sep 19, 2016 1:26 PM
Sep 2007
Gymkata said:
Never saw it, so, dunno...

Maybe.

Who knows...
Sep 19, 2016 1:27 PM
Nov 2013
Adding zero in the title makes the show kakkoii, you baka gaijin.
-SuSep 19, 2016 1:37 PM
Sep 19, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2014
CatSoul said:

And I thought that words with Re in it is a undying trend.

Review, Release, Redo, Renewing, Redundant etc.

Just kidding, think about what Re means, it is just a short form of Redo except for Rewrite.
it's not a trend, it was just coincidence.
Sep 19, 2016 3:16 PM

Mar 2014
Because 99 % of all active anime directors are Lelouch fanboys
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 19, 2016 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
Comic_Sans said:

^ This, they are all a bunch of disgusting Code Geass fanboys.
Sep 19, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2015
Its all about dem click bait titles op

Like is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon. Or my little sister can't be this cute.
Sep 19, 2016 4:49 PM

May 2014
AltoRoark said:
From what I hear, zero does not exist in Japan's numerical system. They also tend to be interested in foreign stuff, so the recurrence of the number zero makes sense.

I thought pretty much everyone used Indian numerals regardless of their alphabet or script?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 4:49 PM

Apr 2015
The intentional bait and cringe in this topic is quite bait-y and cringe-y.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 19, 2016 6:44 PM
Sep 2007
InsaneLeader13 said:
The intentional bait and cringe in this topic is quite bait-y and cringe-y.
Nhf, but can you be any more pathetic?

Not everyone's goal in life is to do that.

Here, I'll let you know something, I reallly, honestly, couldn't care less if anime titles are one letter long, or as long as a Bible, nor do I care about words like Re, or Zero, or whatever.

I simply find great pleasure in opening various threads, and all this "rant" is just an excuse.
Sep 19, 2016 9:16 PM

Jun 2013
Psajdak said:
Btw, before I continue, I have absolutely now idea what Re: Zero is about, aside that on some sites I saw hentai fanarts of some blue haired maid, but I promise you, I will never watch it.
Don't lie i bet you watched and fapped to that ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 19, 2016 10:10 PM
May 2015
This is a stupid post. Does it really matter? Does every anime has to be two words? Get used to it and shorten the names.

Sep 19, 2016 10:31 PM

Nov 2011
OP is so whiny. Good God, someone need to spank his ass with a steel chair.

Sep 19, 2016 10:43 PM
Jan 2013
Psyduck, sometimes I hate your titles
And sometimes I love it
This times is more of a love
gone bai bai
Sep 19, 2016 10:58 PM

Sep 2015
Every anime should have a long title.

1. I met her in the spring time under a full-bloomed cherry blossom tree, and my fate began to change.

2. I finally mustered up the courage and confessed my love to my classmate who I have been crushing on but what I received was an autograph rather than a straight answer.

3. I liked a fellow classmate since Junior High but I never was never given the chance to confess to her because when I entered High School I had to get into a fake relationship with a crazy, abusive, blonde gorilla to prevent a gang war.

4. It's getting extremely annoying and tedious being a hero of justice when no one acknowledges my work plus the fact that any villains who stand in my way get taken out with a single punch.

5. I woke up in a strange place without knowing anything at all, how I got there or even who I was, the only thing I knew though was that this place was neither reality nor the afterlife but rather something in between.

I think 5 is enough. =)
Sep 20, 2016 1:06 PM

Oct 2014
ya_hallo said:

1. I met her in the spring time under a full-bloomed cherry blossom tree, and my fate began to change.

2. I finally mustered up the courage and confessed my love to my classmate who I have been crushing on but what I received was an autograph rather than a straight answer.

3. I liked a fellow classmate since Junior High but I never was never given the chance to confess to her because when I entered High School I had to get into a fake relationship with a crazy, abusive, blonde gorilla to prevent a gang war.

4. It's getting extremely annoying and tedious being a hero of justice when no one acknowledges my work plus the fact that any villains who stand in my way get taken out with a single punch.

5. I woke up in a strange place without knowing anything at all, how I got there or even who I was, the only thing I knew though was that this place was neither reality nor the afterlife but rather something in between.

I think 5 is enough. =)

6. I'm the new kid moving in and getting it done, and I'm officially the candidate for having some fun you know, I'm talking about an all out party and we're getting it started, Mr. President do you mind some electric guitar?
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Sep 20, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2015
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
ya_hallo said:

I think 5 is enough. =)

6. I'm the new kid moving in and getting it done, and I'm officially the candidate for having some fun you know, I'm talking about an all out party and we're getting it started, Mr. President do you mind some electric guitar?

OMG! I can't believe I forgot to mention the best anime of all time. Shame on me.
Sep 20, 2016 4:11 PM

Sep 2016
ya_hallo said:
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

OMG! I can't believe I forgot to mention the best anime of all time. Shame on me.
cory in the house best chinese cartoon can confirm here
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 20, 2016 4:32 PM

Oct 2014
ya_hallo said:
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:

While I personally prefer the danker and more obscure Thomas the Tank Engine, I opted for Cory as he is a close second and more recognizable.
RainyRai said:

How disgusting tbh
Sep 20, 2016 4:36 PM

Aug 2016
Gymkata said:
That's quite a thread title you've got there, since we're on that subject lol.

I can stand behind that opinion, friendo
Sep 20, 2016 4:41 PM

Aug 2015
Senpaoi said:
Idk, did you try googling the question before coming here?

Japanese authors have explained it before multiple times.

what the heck ..lol are you serious ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2016 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
The kettle calling the pot black, great thread.
Sep 20, 2016 4:57 PM

Aug 2014
Seidou_Takizawa said:
Comic_Sans said:

^^ This. Code Geass was a mistake, Lelouch was a mistake, Zero was a mistake.

Sep 20, 2016 5:10 PM

Sep 2015
Klassical said:
Seidou_Takizawa said:

^^ This. Code Geass was a mistake, Lelouch was a mistake, Zero was a mistake.

I'm really starting to hate this 30 character limit.
Sep 20, 2016 5:12 PM

Apr 2016
There was that huge post here on MAL that said "AUTHORS USE LONG NAME FOR THEIR GOD DAMN NOVELS TO MAKE THEM STAND OUT AND SELL BETTER". and I find it kinda appealing especially if you can shorten it into a nice one
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

121 by FFandMMfan »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7158 by damiJESUS »»
9 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

978 by legonene »»
11 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

45 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
13 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

45 by Longnines »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.