Forum Settings
Forums

For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of anime. Like, why are they doing this? And why must every anime title now have word Zero in it?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 20, 2016 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
deadright said:
Senpaoi said:
Idk, did you try googling the question before coming here?

Japanese authors have explained it before multiple times.

what the heck ..lol are you serious ?

It's because it tells the reader (or so they say) what the story is about. Rather than having to read a summary or something. Obviously panders for otakus.
Sep 20, 2016 8:20 PM

Feb 2016
Psajdak said:
Personally, I can't even remember whole titles these days, and for instance, every time I google MyAnimeList, there is result Re: Zero... etc...

Wait, why are you Googling MyAnimeList? Are you unfamiliar with the address bar?

OT: This MAL article, which nobody seems to have linked yet, agrees with what others have said: it's a light novel trend intended to grab the potential reader's eye by giving a brief summary of what the show is about (i.e. a blurb, but for the front cover).
Sep 20, 2016 9:35 PM
Mar 2016
CatSoul said:
Isn't the trend more for "Re" this season? ReLIFE, Rewrite, Re:Zero...
Even some anime songs in 2016 have Re in it. Re:Re (ERASED), Re:Call (Sousei no Onmyouji), and I forgot another one.
Sep 20, 2016 11:36 PM

Mar 2015
Zero is a trend?
Let me think... Re:ZERO, Aldnoah.Zero, Fate/Zero... am I missing any other recent stuff? If not I don't see how it's a trend.
Sep 21, 2016 12:11 AM

Feb 2016
there was an alternate name for anime with long title. don't bothering yourself to remember it.
as for word 'zero', because number zero is cool number :D

Psajdak said:
Btw, before I continue, I have absolutely no idea what Re: Zero is about, aside that on some sites I saw hentai fanarts of some blue haired maid, but I promise you, I will never watch it.
reeeeeaallyyy??? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 21, 2016 12:41 AM

Nov 2009
Post #57
In which Flannan appears and explains everything.

DoubleMangekyo said:
Zero is a trend?
Let me think... Re:ZERO, Aldnoah.Zero, Fate/Zero... am I missing any other recent stuff? If not I don't see how it's a trend.

Zero is a good word to use in prequels like Fate/Zero.
Makes things a lot more clear than, say, "Borderlands: The Pre-sequel" (the game is set in between Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2, but is released after Borderlands 2).

TheFilthyCasual said:
AltoRoark said:
From what I hear, zero does not exist in Japan's numerical system. They also tend to be interested in foreign stuff, so the recurrence of the number zero makes sense.

I thought pretty much everyone used Indian numerals regardless of their alphabet or script?

Japanese have their own symbols for numbers. While they use the same numerals we use (we call them "arabic" where I live) for number-intensive work, there is a lot of applications where they use their native symbols for numbers. Just like we would sometimes write numbers with words instead of single symbols, for example "three" instead of "2".

ya_hallo said:
Every anime should have a long title.

1. I met her in the spring time under a full-bloomed cherry blossom tree, and my fate began to change.

2. I finally mustered up the courage and confessed my love to my classmate who I have been crushing on but what I received was an autograph rather than a straight answer.

3. I liked a fellow classmate since Junior High but I never was never given the chance to confess to her because when I entered High School I had to get into a fake relationship with a crazy, abusive, blonde gorilla to prevent a gang war.

4. It's getting extremely annoying and tedious being a hero of justice when no one acknowledges my work plus the fact that any villains who stand in my way get taken out with a single punch.

5. I woke up in a strange place without knowing anything at all, how I got there or even who I was, the only thing I knew though was that this place was neither reality nor the afterlife but rather something in between.

I think 5 is enough. =)

Which anime is #1? Sounds awfully generic.
Is #5 Grimgar? I think it's full title (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) is a long enough title, even if it isn't a full sentence.

Also, you don't have a taste for making descriptive titles. You will not sell them like this. You gotta go like this:
1. My roommate is an beautiful autistic girl.
2. Working as assistant to the love of my life.
3. How I became a punching bag for a female gangster.
4. Being a hero of justice is unexpectedly boring!

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Incidentally, this thread has a long-ass title and the word zero in it. The trend got to you too before you even knew it.

I'm pretty sure the OP did it on purpose.
flannanSep 21, 2016 12:59 AM
Sep 21, 2016 1:19 AM
Sep 2016
Sep 21, 2016 2:03 AM

Jul 2014
I remember reading Berserk and bursting out laughing when one of the knights introduces his troop as the "Blue Whale Ultra Heavy Armored Fierce Assault Annihilation Knight Corps of the Chudor Army." In the middle of battle, no less.

OT: I've heard it said that the reason titles are becoming longer is that they now contain the descriptive meaning that would have otherwise been placed in the blurb. In this regard, Re:Zero's title is better at catching the eye of the lazy, blurb and synopsis averse reader. Sells better. No idea if that is true though.
Sep 21, 2016 6:07 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:

ya_hallo said:

1. I met her in the spring time under a full-bloomed cherry blossom tree, and my fate began to change.

2. I finally mustered up the courage and confessed my love to my classmate who I have been crushing on but what I received was an autograph rather than a straight answer.

3. I liked a fellow classmate since Junior High but I never was never given the chance to confess to her because when I entered High School I had to get into a fake relationship with a crazy, abusive, blonde gorilla to prevent a gang war.

4. It's getting extremely annoying and tedious being a hero of justice when no one acknowledges my work plus the fact that any villains who stand in my way get taken out with a single punch.

5. I woke up in a strange place without knowing anything at all, how I got there or even who I was, the only thing I knew though was that this place was neither reality nor the afterlife but rather something in between.

I think 5 is enough. =)

Is #5 Grimgar? I think it's full title (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) is a long enough title, even if it isn't a full sentence.

Also, you don't have a taste for making descriptive titles. You will not sell them like this. You gotta go like this:

Number 1 sounds like "Your Lie in April".
DracokunSep 21, 2016 6:10 AM
Sep 21, 2016 7:05 AM

Aug 2015
Then you must really hate the anime Is it wrong to try and pick up girls in a dungeon?

Or the Japanese name Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka XD
Sep 21, 2016 9:03 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:

Your titles are nice but they're too short. #1 is Your Lie in April by the way not The Pet Girl of Sakurasou; and #5 was Angel Beats.
Sep 21, 2016 9:07 AM

Jun 2016
maybe its "BRANDING" ?
it helps to attract some viewers? because its famous word in japan?

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 21, 2016 9:07 AM

Nov 2013
Psajdak said:

Personally, I can't even remember whole titles these days, and for instance, every time I google MyAnimeList, there is result Re: Zero... etc...

> Complaining every anime
> only give one example

Okay.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Sep 21, 2016 10:14 AM

Nov 2009
ya_hallo said:
flannan said:

Your titles are nice but they're too short. #1 is Your Lie in April by the way not The Pet Girl of Sakurasou; and #5 was Angel Beats.

Thanks for the explanation.
If the titles are too short, translate them to Japanese and back to English. It will increase the amount of words by 126.7% due to the need to translate around all the complications.
Sep 21, 2016 10:29 AM
Apr 2014
ITT OP posts something and triggers all the oldfags on the forum.

Clearly these intellectuals know what they're saying with such diamond tidbits as

KaiserNazrin said:
OP is so whiny. Good God, someone need to spank his ass with a steel chair.

Klad said:
For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of your threads. Like, why are you doing this? And why must every thread title now have stupid shit in it?

EcchiLordMamster said:
are you Japanese? why should they care what YOU a non Japanese person think about the titles of anime? im African and my full name is 27 letters long

to say a simple english phrase in a language in Japanese may require alot more words due to they way they structure everything and their words

SOME LANGUAGES ARE LIKE THAT....

GTFO....

FUCKING GOLD RIGHT HERE!!! But go ahead and pull out your facetious cards It doesn't change anything anyways.

Last I heard, this isn't an anime now is it? Tell me, what do you prefer? A title that just says " Long anime titles and Zero"? Or what the OP posted? He's doing 99% of the work for you by posting the question in the title so you didn't have to mouse over cause you already knew the content of the thread.

What the OP didn't account for was how many people he would offend.

Stay classy MAL
Hai forces
Sep 21, 2016 1:37 PM

Feb 2015
And there are reasons why you have the option to use the short version... And Japanese language is pretty much unknown to me so, I don't know why there's things like that... I'm guessing it had to do with the writing and stuff...

In short, just the acronym if its available.
Sep 21, 2016 5:14 PM

Oct 2015
Ironically posts a long ass title

Not alot of them are long. I can only think of 2 animes that ive watched that i cant completely remember their titles.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Sep 21, 2016 5:19 PM

Feb 2013
EcchiLordMamster said:
are you Japanese? why should they care what YOU a non Japanese person think about the titles of anime? im African and my full name is 27 letters long

to say a simple english phrase in a language in Japanese may require alot more words due to they way they structure everything and their words

GTFO....
lol this reminds me of iberic naming tradition..
dom pedro ii's full name was Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga
Sep 21, 2016 5:31 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
romagia said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

GTFO....
dom pedro ii's full name was Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga

gawd dayum... lol

as you can see, i was absolutely triggered by this thread... some languages just have long as words/names and shit.. i would know...
Sep 21, 2016 5:32 PM

Nov 2015
So... you'll never watch Re:Zero because you found hentai of it?
Yeah... this guy is smart...

There's hentai of everything mate...

*sighs*
Sep 21, 2016 7:17 PM

Nov 2013
Light novel adaptations, basically. The vast majority of them are awful, it's best not to pay attention to them.
Sep 21, 2016 8:08 PM
Sep 2007
HumbertoZero said:

*sighs*
No, but because it seems like harem, or at least seems to have elements of it.
Sep 21, 2016 10:26 PM

Nov 2009
romagia said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

GTFO....

27 letters isn't that long for a name. It's a normal length for a Russian name. With personal name, patronymic, and family name. If they all happen to be long, it can get impressive.
For example, Stalin's birth name is Ио́сиф Виссарио́нович Джугашви́ли (Joseph Vissarionovich Jughashvili), 30 letters total, and his personal name is short.
And than there are people with double family names, and people with multiple personal names.
Sep 22, 2016 4:55 AM

Nov 2015
Psajdak said:
HumbertoZero said:

*sighs*
No, but because it seems like harem, or at least seems to have elements of it.

Naw, with the poster it does look like a generic harem but it is not.
I thought the same before the season started.
Sep 22, 2016 10:26 AM

Oct 2014
flannan said:
Post #57
In which Flannan appears and explains everything.

DoubleMangekyo said:
Zero is a trend?

Zero is a good word to use in prequels like Fate/Zero.
Makes things a lot more clear than, say, "Borderlands: The Pre-sequel" (the game is set in between Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2, but is released after Borderlands 2).

TheFilthyCasual said:

I thought pretty much everyone used Indian numerals regardless of their alphabet or script?

Japanese have their own symbols for numbers. While they use the same numerals we use (we call them "arabic" where I live) for number-intensive work, there is a lot of applications where they use their native symbols for numbers. Just like we would sometimes write numbers with words instead of single symbols, for example "three" instead of "2".

ya_hallo said:

I think 5 is enough. =)

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
Incidentally, this thread has a long-ass title and the word zero in it. The trend got to you too before you even knew it.

I'm pretty sure the OP did it on purpose.

5 is Death Parade I think. And yes I know the OP did it on purpose, that was a lazy shitpost on my part.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Sep 23, 2016 2:57 AM

Jun 2015
Klad said:
For god's sake, seriously, I can't keep up with all these long titles of your threads. Like, why are you doing this? And why must every thread title now have stupid shit in it?
+5
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

101 by FFandMMfan »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 15 minutes ago

1 by MadanielFL »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by YN_ON »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

19 by Zimzky »»
6 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

12 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.