Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: New Game! Episode 12 Discussion

Oct 1, 2016 4:02 PM

Ah, such a really nice ending to the series... I enjoyed it till the very end.
Wasn't expecting much when I started watching it but it slowly won me over with its funny scenes and real-life portrayal of developement process. And I really love the characters, each one of them.

There were some not as great episodes but overall the series managed to keep the quality and that's what matters in the end.

7/10 Was very pleasant show with nice conclusion.

Oct 1, 2016 4:04 PM

Final episode of this show was really good. 7/10 for this show.

Oct 2, 2016 1:19 PM

So grown up Madoka is doing 'Moon Ranger'....? lol

Anyway, I know that I can't expect so much about shows like this one, but at the same time I think that it could have had much more, it had the potential for more and to stand out from the others.... but... they decided to go for the 'fine route', which usually works a lot, for many.

A fine anime which there aren't boys (which I personally think it's good - the cliche harem is not here) but that stayed just as a fine anime in the end. Well, I don't think it's good nor it's bad, fine =)

6/10

Maybe I'm just getting too old and/or more picky... =/
Modified by Vi-, Oct 2, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2, 2016 9:13 PM

Good ending to a charming anime. I will miss this show, and all the cute girls.
It's just too bad Kou and Rin never got together.

Oct 5, 2016 3:34 PM
Viteracf said:

im glad i wasnt the only one who saw that lol

Oct 5, 2016 5:34 PM

skiayly said:
Viteracf said:

im glad i wasnt the only one who saw that lol

Hahaha How could I go unnoticed 'Madoka'? =P

Oct 13, 2016 6:17 PM

Perfectly optimistic and happy finale.

Oct 15, 2016 6:47 AM

Lol, that last scene cracked me up!

Oct 20, 2016 6:28 PM
Hi there I new here :D (as register user anyway)

I just finished new game anime and want to ask few things,
Is there any different from the manga and the anime? (aside the characters names)

Was something been cut? is it was mostly original? was the ending original? since I don’t think the manga ended yet..

Thanks

Oct 20, 2016 10:28 PM

Egozi44 said:

Is there any different from the manga and the anime? (aside the characters names)

Was something been cut? is it was mostly original? was the ending original? since I don’t think the manga ended yet..

Thanks

There's minor differences between the anime and the manga. The biggest differences I remember:
  • The director has a more prominent role, and shows up sooner.
  • I don't remember the cat being in the manga at all, but maybe it shows up later on.

Overall it followed the manga extremely faithfully. Some chapters got reordered, some probably were skipped, but even the ending of episode 12 is straight out of the manga. I noticed scrolling through the manga just now that even most of the outfits seem to be the same. (Such as the dress Kou wore for the interview, and the outfit Aoba wore when her suit was at the cleaners.)

The anime ends before the manga does, which is indeed ongoing. But it ends at a perfect place, finishing up the story arc for making Fairies 3. The story is continuing, and they're starting on a new game. Nene is still going to play a role, and the manga has already hinted at how she may end up working for the company again. (Not going to spoil it, but I really like how it's dealing with Nene. She has more depth to her than she seemed to at first.)

If you liked the anime, you will like the manga. 39 chapters have been translated at this point + the spinoff volume. (It's a prequel that takes place mostly in high school, focusing on Aoba, Nene, a new girl and the art teacher.)

Oct 21, 2016 4:20 AM
cutemanabi said:
Egozi44 said:

Thanks

There's minor differences between the anime and the manga. The biggest differences I remember:
  • The director has a more prominent role, and shows up sooner.
  • I don't remember the cat being in the manga at all, but maybe it shows up later on.

Overall it followed the manga extremely faithfully. Some chapters got reordered, some probably were skipped, but even the ending of episode 12 is straight out of the manga. I noticed scrolling through the manga just now that even most of the outfits seem to be the same. (Such as the dress Kou wore for the interview, and the outfit Aoba wore when her suit was at the cleaners.)

The anime ends before the manga does, which is indeed ongoing. But it ends at a perfect place, finishing up the story arc for making Fairies 3. The story is continuing, and they're starting on a new game. Nene is still going to play a role, and the manga has already hinted at how she may end up working for the company again. (Not going to spoil it, but I really like how it's dealing with Nene. She has more depth to her than she seemed to at first.)

If you liked the anime, you will like the manga. 39 chapters have been translated at this point + the spinoff volume. (It's a prequel that takes place mostly in high school, focusing on Aoba, Nene, a new girl and the art teacher.)

Sound nice :0

Many thanks, I may check the manga myself

Doki also translated NG spin off manga but it don't seem to be the prequel (I think the prequel name was NG zero? )

Oct 21, 2016 7:38 PM

Egozi44 said:
Doki also translated NG spin off manga but it don't seem to be the prequel (I think the prequel name was NG zero? )

The spin-off is the prequel I was talking about in my comment. First chapter starts in 6th grade, but then it jumps to 1st year of high school, so it's a prequel.

Oct 21, 2016 10:30 PM
cutemanabi said:
Egozi44 said:

The spin-off is the prequel I was talking about in my comment. First chapter starts in 6th grade, but then it jumps to 1st year of high school, so it's a prequel.

Sou ka (I see)

Oct 22, 2016 7:07 AM

Ohmygosh stop. teasing. the. yuri! MAKE KOU X RIN HAPPEN !!

This series is really cute, and it really became a lot more enjoyable later on. It started the Shirobako way, thrust the characters right into the company without properly introducing them first, and it wasn't until a little bit later that we get to know more about them.

I must say though I didn't like the sudden awkward serious moment, like when Kou was talking about how quick Aoba fits in, or when Rin was talking about how Kou should have been the AD instead. The whole "sorry I don't know how to do this" speech Kou gave near the end was also a bit cliche and cringey, because I am sure she has done this before for Fairies Story 1 and 2.

Other than all that there's nothing I really dislike about the show other than it's a bit boring at times, gotta step up on the jokes.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control

Oct 23, 2016 4:02 PM

Yun critiquing the cosplay, was an interesting addition to the sales scene; it made me wonder how game developers critique replications of their creation in real life, it seems very plausible if they aren't just swept up by the celebration of finally having their product out. Perhaps they'd even take umbrage and resent a certain replication if it's too much of a deviation from the original vision- DeviantArt?

The only time the show manages to make me laugh out loud was when Nene and Hajime spilled the beans (the only time I didn't hate Nene's appearance on screen). Months, even years of hard work only to almost be foiled by spoilers. They would have still made their money, but the splendor would have vanished. Unprecedented tension, albeit brief, for a feel-good show like this, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Umiko giving Nene the business card was quite the symbolic gesture; it seems she has developed some level of affection for Sakura, almost like an older sister would. We already had a tacit sense of how Umiko felt towards Sakura despite her abrasive demeanor, as it was stated she appreciates her intricate knowledge of previous installments of FS- a distinguishing trait from other part-timers- but this is the first time we explicitly FEEL Umiko's appreciation for her efforts. The quintessential Kuu-dere, if you ask me.

The scene at the end, however, was the one that bumped this show up to a 7 for me. It's a type of scene we see often, but it always hits deep whenever it is executed well. As those here already noted, this was an exemplary portrayal of when a character arc comes full circle. Though Ko had been the source of inspiration for Aoba and other subordinates, she had always given herself a hard time due to her past experiences, and it would have culminated were it not for Aoba to be there for her. She would have neglected once more the opportunity to move up in the company due to her turbulent past with the company. It's rather ironic how the figure that has been pedestalized from Aoba's POV (for basically the entire show) is now the one in need of the one whom she inspired for years to galvanize her to strive for greater heights. Made me feel all fuzzy.

Given all the above, it was easy to deduce that Aoba's first autograph was going to be requested from Ko; that plot point would have just fit into the fabric seamlessly. Regardless, I found it to be sweet enough to pass.

I'll let the post-credits scene speak for itself.

This last episode was definitely the strongest, the one that I'll be most likely to remember.

As for the whole show though, well I wasn't too impressed. The character design- by sheer coincidence (due to that being the focal point in New Game's narrative)- essentially carried the show for me as everyone looked great, even the Director who is supposed to be a bit older than the rest. Overall it's a cute, innocuous show, but it would have been a great benefit to the show, in my opinion, if they had focused on the Ko-Rin dynamic more, effective taking the nuanced Shirobako route, instead of the scenario-punchline vignettes shown to us. To be fair, IIRC, it was the creators intention to have the story shown to us from a rose-tinted glass- as actual game production is NOT fun-, but it's ultimately matter of taste for me.

Though, if there's a season 2 anytime in the future, I would be hard-pressed to ignore it.
Modified by KatoBytes, Oct 23, 2016 8:09 PM
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.

Nov 2, 2016 4:57 PM

Hifumi was adorable till the end. I do hope for a season 2 with more hifumi this time :)

Nov 4, 2016 11:40 PM

This show was way funnier than I anticipated it to be.

7/10, never coming off my computer.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.

Nov 7, 2016 7:29 AM

Why Slice of Life Animes are so entertaining especially this :)

Nov 7, 2016 12:14 PM
preety good overall, had its good moments 8 from me
Modified by LouM, Nov 7, 2016 12:18 PM

Nov 15, 2016 11:03 AM

Great show! It got me thinking a lot about my own situation related to working.

Doga Kobo is a fantastic studio. The story, characters, seiyuus and art style were all excellent.

Ahag- Umiko didn't really stand out in the beginning, but her character showed out to be really good towards the end. She showed discipline and her own personality, which I really liked. Aoba and Kou were my favorites as well. I understood Nene's position and actions in the show, but her personality was too much for me. We didn't get to learn too much about Shizuku and Hifumi in general, which was a pity, as they were part of the core team.

Definitely worth rewatching.

9/10

Nov 16, 2016 6:20 AM

Here's hoping for a second season. This was really fun to watch!

8/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.

Nov 30, 2016 11:57 PM

This show was awesome, exactly what I like about the genre. 8/10 second season please

Jan 7, 2017 3:26 PM

Seeing Yagami get emotional and tear up when Aoba was consoling her was really nice and touching. This show was really fun, I can't believe I skipped it while it was airing.

This is exactly what I want from SOL. Not too much drama, but great lighthearted comedy with cute characters. Just very enjoyable to watch, from start to end.

8.5/10 (S2 please!)

Jan 15, 2017 3:36 PM
This turned out to be much better from how it started. The yuri undertones made the show for me.

Jan 15, 2017 6:26 PM
Congratulations to their whole team on a successful release! While this show definitely simplified a lot of things about the industry, I thought it was still a cute, light, and fun introduction to some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes when companies make games. Would love to see someone working in the industry break down what they thought was good/bad about the series.

Jan 16, 2017 9:51 AM

What a great way to end the series and I really enjoyed the finale! I'm very happy that their game got finally developed and went on sale for the team. The characters grew on me so much that this was really a interesting experience to see them do their best as they came together to finished what they started and enjoy themselves.

I want to mention one of my favorite parts in the episode that really struck me. I love how Aoba was able to cheer up Yagami as she felt down about herself becoming the AD after so long that she used to be back before. It was inspiring how Aoba has grown so much went she first joined the game company and she's done a marvelous job at it. It made me feel that Aoba will do much better when she gets to work alongside with Yagami and continue in their endeavors.

Well, this has been an enjoyable and fun series. :) I really love all the characters, especially Aoba, who is my best girl in the show. Though I will also agree that Hifumi is probably the best one so far with her cute reactions and her amazing cosplay too. The story is what kept me going so far and I do wish there would be a second season. Anyway, I'm very glad I got a chance to watch it and I'm really going to miss it very much.

Jan 26, 2017 3:21 AM

Feb 16, 2017 1:29 AM

Never a dull moment when Nene is around. Silly girl spoiled it a bit and then that part at the end with the gun was so funny.

I remember the girls in an earlier episode got very drunk.

Aoba is a great person helping Kou out like that.

Very happy there is going to be a 2nd season. I really enjoyed this.

Mar 6, 2017 6:25 PM

Loved Hifumi's reaction to "Mega Particle Requiem Shoot!" during the autographs!!

I need more New Game in my life X_X

Apr 2, 2017 12:11 PM

I freaking ship Yagami and Aoba omg ♥

5/5
10/10

𝓹𝓮𝓻𝓲𝔀𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓴𝓵𝓮 ✧*:・゚✧

Apr 6, 2017 7:02 AM

Kou best girl
another super great cute series with yuri vibe from Kirara Time

9/10
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

Apr 6, 2017 12:33 PM

Stupid Nenecchi spoiled the whole game in front of everyone. >:(
Looks like it didn't have any serious consequences, though. Besides, Umiko appeared to conveniently scare Nenecchi. I also liked how Umiko showed the Yagami's picture to everyone as a revenge for being called Ahagon.
The company's party was nice. We finally saw a few human males from the company. The cast had been improbably feminine in the earlier episodes. lol
The last scene was pure gold. Koullateral damage. xD
Nenecchi appearing while wielding Umiko's airsoft assault rifle was pure gold! lmao

I really liked this show. I'm glad it's getting a second season. Will Yagami become the new AD? Can't wait to watch it!

Apr 30, 2017 8:38 PM

Really loved this series although I wouldve liked to see a bit more of the game they created. That ending was absolutely hilarious Nene just walks over with an AK the poor police officer was probably pissing herself lol.

But yeah I would like to see the characters develop a little more together, like Aoba and Nene, Kou and Rin, Yun and Hajime, or even Aoba and Hifumi. A little more of that in season 2 (pretty sure its confirmed?) and this could be one of my favorite shows.

Great art as always from this studio, and obv Kou is best girl. Opening was catchy and I really liked the ending theme. 9/10 for me, definitely looking forward for s2

Jun 30, 2017 3:06 PM

Really fun and comfy show. Nene was so damn annoying though and her VA made my ears hurt. Also I don't know why Nene and Aoba had to be made look like middle schoolers which they even pointed out themselves. Nevertheless 8/10.

Jul 12, 2017 6:55 AM

I am so happy yagami for deciding to take the Art director job thanks to Aoba. I really enjoyed this anime, because it was laid back with nothing too serious and light. I would have loved to work with those ladies, because they reminded me of school.
¡Ay, caramba! --- Bart Simpson

Jul 21, 2017 12:56 PM

As far as cute-girls-doing-cute-things shows go, this was pretty good. Liked it more than K-On, at least. I've been loaded with cuteness from this anime to last me a while again.

Aug 5, 2017 1:18 PM

"Hey, it'd be awesome if we didn't see Nene in this episoooohhh, fuck me, there she is."

She was an ungrateful little bitch over the airsoft gun she won in the lottery, as I expected. You aren't supposed to be that rude over gifts!

You know, I've decided I really like Kou. We got to learn a bit more about her backstory and her weaknesses in this last episode, but I know she'd be a great art director for the next game!

That ending segment where wasted Kou and Rin ended up on some Japanese version of Cops was pretty great.

So...how did critics respond to Fairies Story 3? Was there too much water for IGN's liking?

Gave the show a 7/10 overall.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Aug 26, 2017 2:57 PM

Was fairly enjoyable, nothing too amazing.

Sep 1, 2017 2:15 PM

I liked it, and I'm glad we got a season 2.

Sep 10, 2017 10:11 PM
I liked this episode more than the others, but overall the series was a "meh" experience for me. I HATE Nenecchi. As soon as her character became introduced I just wanted to shoot myself... Her voice was so annoying and she was too stupid for me to handle. I learned moe and loli characters aren't my thing, although the actual premise of the show is cool (all female crew working on a highly-anticipated video game?? heck yeah!). Gave a 6/10. Would have been higher if Nenecchi was blown off the face of the earth.

Oct 8, 2017 3:19 PM

I want Fairies Story to be made into a real videogame.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 9, 2017 10:05 PM

I couldn't think of a better finale for this show. It was so heartwarming and just enough since it's them celebrating for the success of their game. I really enjoyed this anime throughout and I'm so happy for everyone.

9/10
----------------------------------------
"NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~"
NANACHI (MADE IN ABYSS), 2017
----------------------------------------

Dec 19, 2017 7:40 PM
The last scene was hilarious af. I wanted to know the full reaction of the cop when she saw Nene holding the replica gun. Overall, great "feel good" series.

Moving on to the next season now. I see that there's new characters as well.

Also, I wonder what her role is: https://myanimelist.net/character/151162/Christina_Wako_Yamato

When I first saw here I thought she was related to Yagami, lol.

Jan 22, 2018 11:35 PM

I ended up liking it more than I expected.

I truly love Aoba though, truly a waifu material. She's just so adorable and a likable person to the core.

The ending footage was also funny lol. Nene bringing weapon lmao.

Mar 6, 2018 3:20 AM

Ehhh the end kinda made me cringe.

Mar 31, 2018 6:55 PM

The last scene confused me, and why did Aoba have a recording of it?
(Mostly) MBTI blog coming before 2020!

Expect a Girls of the Wild's set soon motherfucker.~

Filter my anime list by fetish:

Ass - Boxing - Bunny - Catfight - S&M - Wrestling

Mar 31, 2018 7:00 PM

IpreferEcchi said:
The last scene confused me, and why did Aoba have a recording of it?

She was watching "caught on tape" type shows on broadcast television.

Apr 22, 2018 3:36 PM
I usually like "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but New Game just didn't do it for me. To be honest, it was kinda boring at times. Maybe it was too much "slice of life". It wasn't funny or particularly interesting. The show isn't bad, but I don't like enough to watch season 2. I give new game a 6/10.

Apr 30, 2018 12:37 AM
More on Wako, the woman at the reception desk: http://new-game.wikia.com/wiki/Christina_Wako_Yamato

Hoping for more! The gag format of the manga didn't work for me, although maybe it improves after several chapters?

May 27, 2018 5:41 AM

first few episodes = amazing, but then nenechi became a regular main character everything got ruined. god I hate'r

Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »