Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 17, 2016 9:23 PM

Nov 2015
Sywed said:
because people wanna be as Japanese as possible

That's the best post I've seen so far.
Sep 17, 2016 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
I am simply a originalfag I watch movies and play video games in their original lamguages with subtitles it might be bias but I like it this way especiallly if it is a game or anime or whatever that takes place in a specific country
Sep 18, 2016 8:56 PM
Sep 2016
Whenever I watch English dubbed anime I feel like something is not right. I think that Anime dub is only match with Japanese language. It's kindda weird tho to watch Anime with any dub languages except Japanese. Anime means to be dubbed with Japanese Language. Imagine if western cartoons were dubbed into Japanese. What do you think? It just don't feel right.
Sep 18, 2016 9:03 PM
Aug 2016
black1blade said:
Thing is the english dub can never really be better than the japanese dub, just on par in very few circumstances.

That's a rather... excessive claim. English dubs certainly have a number disadvantages, but "can never be better", really?
Sep 18, 2016 9:25 PM

Jul 2013
Because there's usually something off, either a voice that sounds wrong, a name/word that isn't pronounced properly or sounds strange coming from an English speaker, a line that the translator has taken liberties with.

You also don't have to deal with hearing Monica Rial in every series if you avoid dubs
Sep 18, 2016 9:29 PM

Jul 2014
I disagree with everything you said. To me speaking slow doesn't happen also Japanese is a language that's spoken rather fast compared to English so maybe that's what you "think" your hearing

I'm a Dub watcher and the biggest problem with Dubs isn't, acting quality, slow talking, or whatever else, its the talent pool of actors too often you hear the same voices.
Sep 18, 2016 9:44 PM
Aug 2016
I always assumed that if anything is "off" about English dubs, it's that they have to match the number of syllables from the Japanese dub. This can be hard to do so while maintaining a natural-sounding English sentence.
Sep 19, 2016 4:39 PM

May 2014
MindForged said:
I always assumed that if anything is "off" about English dubs, it's that they have to match the number of syllables from the Japanese dub. This can be hard to do so while maintaining a natural-sounding English sentence.
This is often the biggest problem besides the actors themselves simply not being that great.

To make it sync with the animation properly you either have to jerkily add words in or say things very quickly and it makes the dialogue sound strange.

To actually FIX that problem you basically have to rewrite everything, to compose sentences that fit the animation. That requires someone writing it who won't fuck up the meaning of the conversation. There are few cases where such extensive rewrites are even attempted, and I can only think of one that's mostly succeeded.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 4:42 PM
Mar 2011
iv stated my view on this i s about translation accuracy
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 19, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2014
DateYutaka said:
As I've said though, it's virtually impossible to literally translate it and not have it sound weird, because you have to sync with the animation.
- Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 4:55 PM
Mar 2011
TheFilthyCasual said:
DateYutaka said:
As I've said though, it's virtually impossible to literally translate it and not have it sound weird, because you have to sync with the animation.

overall japanese us shorter languge than English if you go sound by sound s that should maje it eyser than if it polyagitive langauge tht they were ttralatings from so i could undersatbd if they shorten sentac to fit the animation but over all elongaryion should never be needed

also overall Japanese is in someways less exxpreeive than English its less tonal for example Japanese and english are in mst other ways imlier more more so than you think
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 19, 2016 5:06 PM

May 2014
DateYutaka said:
TheFilthyCasual said:

overall japanese us shorter languge than English if you go sound by sound s that should maje it eyser than if it polyagitive langauge tht they were ttralatings from so i could undersatbd if they shorten sentac to fit the animation but over all elongaryion should never be needed

also overall Japanese is in someways less exxpreeive than English its less tonal for example Japanese and english are in mst other ways imlier more more so than you think
It's less about that and simply that translating the words will cause the gaps in the speech and the length of run-on series of words to be different, simply because you're using different words and they're not the same length.

Is Japanese really that lacking in tone? Granted I don't speak it, I have no idea. I just know that, for example, Chinese languages are very tonal, so tonal in fact that most English speakers don't even think English is tonal because it's barely present by comparison.
- Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 5:13 PM
Mar 2011
TheFilthyCasual said:
DateYutaka said:

It's less about that and simply that translating the words will cause the gaps in the speech and the length of run-on series of words to be different, simply because you're using different words and they're not the same length.

Is Japanese really that lacking in tone? Granted I don't speak it, I have no idea. I just know that, for example, Chinese languages are very tonal, so tonal in fact that most English speakers don't even think English is tonal because it's barely present by comparison.

Japanese is is more contextual based than tonal im conpare to indo euro based language its comes from the limited amount sounds in Japanese

Sep 19, 2016 5:21 PM

May 2014
DateYutaka said:

Japanese is is more contextual based than tonal im conpare to indo euro based language its comes from the limited amount sounds in Japanese
Well I knew it doesn't have an "L" sound. What else doesn't it have?
- Anonymous
Sep 19, 2016 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
Cos Subs MasterRace.

asdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
Sep 19, 2016 5:57 PM
Mar 2011
TheFilthyCasual said:
DateYutaka said:

Well I knew it doesn't have an "L" sound. What else doesn't it have?

japanese is phonetic english is not all h osunds japanese has are on he most baisc chart of japanese you can find well all the sounds still used that is

english has had more outside infueace than Japanese too while not like ainu witch is a isolate Japanese developed in relative isolation in compare to indo euro Germanic and semtic languages

but the sadest fact of all for aguemts sake japanese has less conntection to its past than englisg does

twhy i birng this up is this wager that moe enligh could read chuncer in the preidod langaue fo his time than Japanese could read say genji in prodo langauge of it time reson why is this words how you say them have not really chnaged 9% of them its alot of the kanji that has

and aslo Jaaonese bakc then was les atonal than it is today it was closer ot tang era Chinese than anything

most of modern Japanese was fromed wtring wise in the bafuku jidai i seen mmy old clan recoords for example and anyhting from pre 1400 i find it very hard it read kanji and and linefecton of the wrods have chnaged so much

its the Japanese version of a sound shift going frm very tonal almost totaly a tonal
tang people are not han so tang chinese is dead the olsest non han people leftin chine are the sui people

and if you talk old Japanese t a sui person they understand you sice suo people closer he the middle hinese than became old japanese in wrting and eraly miidle Japanese in speach

Sep 19, 2016 6:40 PM

Aug 2016
I generally prefer subs over dubs. The only time I don't watch a dub is if it isn't out yet, or the dub is stupidly painful.

Most of the time, I feel that seeing the characters speak English allows me to better understand them, as well as the plot.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 19, 2016 6:55 PM
Nov 2014
I hate dubs in all languages and in every form of media. Just the translation in itself butchers the 'original' material beyond repair, and pair it with the voice over made by unmotivated drunkards or methheads, you will get something seriously awful.
Sep 20, 2016 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
I dislike when series are getting dubbed, not just anime.
It ruins the mood for me and no matter how good the dub may be, I can not stand listening to it =/
Sep 20, 2016 2:16 PM

Jun 2016
I watch anime in dub, I don't want to force my eyes unnecessarily (I am a literature student, and already use my eyes for reading all the time). Anime is something I prefer only watching and listening.

I have to admit there are some bad dubs, it's inevitable. But most of them are okay. I enjoy them. Maybe because I never tasted Japanese version, though.
Sep 20, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2015
Dub vs Sub is the last thing I consider when deciding on an anime. Rather I don't consider it at all. However, if said anime has a dub on my preferred streaming site, I'll watch it. If not I watch the sub and do not seek out other sites because it just isn't that important to me.

So, do I find dubs bad? I wouldn't know because I don't have a comparison. It is not like I have watched the same show in sub and dub to compare and I doubt I ever will. What I can say is that I don't feel like I have missed out on anything by selecting one vs the other. To each their own...
Sep 20, 2016 2:44 PM

Mar 2015
Because 'Nani nani?' is much cuter than 'What's that?'.

And I'm quite interested in Japanese language and culture. When I watch dubs I feel like I'm watching an American cartoon.
Sep 20, 2016 2:50 PM

Mar 2015
There are good dubs and bad dubs, just like there are good shows and bad shows. /thread
Sep 20, 2016 2:51 PM
Aug 2016
karineyn said:

I have to admit there are some bad dubs, it's inevitable. But most of them are okay. I enjoy them. Maybe because I never tasted Japanese version, though.

I suspect the subs vs. dubs debate in predicated on an exaggeration. It's not true that most japanese VA in anime is good, while most dubs are subpar. Maybe since Japanese isn't the native language (or even spoken by) of most us, we somehow perceive it to be better by comparison than it actually is?
Sep 20, 2016 3:00 PM

Jun 2016
MindForged said:
karineyn said:

I suspect the subs vs. dubs debate in predicated on an exaggeration. It's not true that most japanese VA in anime is good, while most dubs are subpar. Maybe since Japanese isn't the native language (or even spoken by) of most us, we somehow perceive it to be better by comparison than it actually is?

Actually, yeah! Makes sense. Since we don't understand anything they say, we just focus on how it sounds. I also enjoy German dubs more than English ones, and my German is not as good as English. Now I think it might have something to do with not being able to evaluate the language.

Thanks for the comment! ^_^
Sep 20, 2016 3:10 PM

Dec 2015
The only reason I want more dubs to be made isn't because I watch them, its because i read some article about a blind guy who likes anime.
Give that poor man more anime to watch.

link
Sep 20, 2016 4:03 PM

Jul 2016
Dubs are good.

Really, it's not the 90s anymore. Gone are the days of calling rice cakes jelly donuts. These days if a show is available to me to watch dubbed, I'll usually go for the dub (with a few exceptions). We still get a few duds of a dub here and there but, for the most part, things have improved immensely and dubs are extremely well done. Some high quality recent dubs that come to mind of me are K-On!, Psycho Pass, and Kill la Kill.

K-On! and Kill la Kill I watched subbed before I had seen them dubbed and the really hold their own against the high quality of the Japanese original. And now I'll usually opt for the dub of each show if I choose to watch it these days. Psycho Pass, on the other hand, I decided to just dive straight into the dub because I trusted FUNimation and I feel that trust was well placed. Another good example is Panty & Stocking. That show feels like it was made to be in English.

There are a few exceptions, like I said. Tamako Market I only just watched for the first time recently, when a dub was available, but I opted for the sub because it just felt stronger to me and from what I've seen of the dub I feel that was a good call because something about the dub just feels... off.

But really, the quality of a dub all comes down to the quality of the director. Like, if you look at the director of Kill la Kill's dub, Alex von David, he has an impressive resume of anime dubs. You can have the best voice actors in the world in a dub but when you have a director who's bad or just plain doesn't care that's going to show.
Sep 20, 2016 5:24 PM
Aug 2016
@SgtScyther Great points! The Psycho-Pass English dub was quite good imo. Makishima's VA (Alex organ) had the perfect voice for him to me. 😄 Speaking of which, now.I want to see what other VA work he has done, lol
Sep 20, 2016 8:34 PM

Feb 2016
Sonicfanx1 said:
Why do we dislike English dubs?

FTFY.

My dislike of dubs stems from having watched a number of foreign films dubbed into English, but also foreign-language films dubbed into French. The problem isn't what language they're speaking in; it's the dub process itself. In live-action film and television, dubs are always going to sound artificial. Yes, I know that many lines in the originals were no doubt touched up later in studio; but in a sub, everything is recorded in a little box. You often have no connection or rapport between actors, and everything sounds artificial. Action films probably suffer the most from.this, or indeed, anything that isn't simply set entirely indoors. There's also the question of balancing timing with translation; sometimes, you end up with an appalling translation of a line just to fit it in the time slot of the original line, and at other times, a line's pacing will be delivered poorly for the same reason. And a very petty reason for my personal distaste of dubs: the lips and voices don't match. A minor problem, but it really gets to me.

As such, I've spent my life avoiding dubs in general, so once I started watching anime, I stuck with this trend. Even though most of the arguments I presented above don't seem to be relevant for animation, I still can't bring myself to watch anything in a dubbed version any more.
Sep 20, 2016 8:42 PM

Jun 2016
DUBS gives me epilepsy and asthma :D hahaha
very cringe and awkward to hear :D except if it is cartoon not anime :D

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Sep 20, 2016 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
For me, it's always come down to .... am I in the mood today to watch my anime visually or based on listening? If I am feeling tired, but am also up for watching anime at the same time, I will almost always go with an English Dub anime. If I am in a sponging-kinda-mood, I will normally go with Japanese Dub anime - in likeness, I go with Japanese Dub (With English Subtitles) if I feel like I have a lot of energy to burn. Reading the subtitles I find to be more stimulating than listening audibly to the English Dub.
Sep 20, 2016 8:56 PM

Jun 2009
I like both. It depends on the anime.
Sep 20, 2016 9:15 PM
Mar 2016
The moment I heard Luffy's voice in English Dub (which sounded like some edgy teen with astma) I never wanted to watch anime dubbed again.

The one anime I once heard with English Dub was Lucky Star and that sounded very good.

Still not gonna watch dub tho.
Sep 20, 2016 9:16 PM

Feb 2014
I usually only watch dub when I see multiple people saying it's better than the sub (i.e. Beck).
"So wave goodbye to the hope we were born with, and say farewell to the chance of surviving this holocaust of love, this age of lost souls, but I'm holding on with both hands and I'm never letting go."
Sep 20, 2016 10:08 PM

Mar 2014
Because 98-99 % of the voice actors American dub companies hire are untalented hacks (and the ones that aren't usually leave the anime dubbing business because cartoon voice acting usually pays off better) and the worst hack of them all is Bryce Papenbrook because he's an Ö-list voice actor who wouldn't be getting so many MC roles had it not been for his "connections" (no this isn't a Jew joke, I'm referring to his parents)

That being said, there are a few good English anime dubs, bad seiyuu and Japanese dubs exist, there are lots of talented English voice actors out there (just not in the anime dubbing industry) and both French and German anime voice acting tend to be worse
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 20, 2016 10:36 PM

May 2016
People don't seem to realize that ~75% of Japanese voice actors couldn't act wet in a rainstorm--they're just tricked into thinking they're any good because they have no understanding of how Japanese is supposed to sound. Hint: The English equivalent of what Japanese voice acting sounds like to a native Japanese speaker is how the acting in the Star Wars prequels sounds to us. As in, wooden as fuck. On the flip side, only about 30% of dub voice actors are even remotely bad, so English dubs have a way, way higher batting average.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 21, 2016 5:10 AM
Aug 2016
Zelkiiro said:
People don't seem to realize that ~75% of Japanese voice actors couldn't act wet in a rainstorm--they're just tricked into thinking they're any good because they have no understanding of how Japanese is supposed to sound. Hint: The English equivalent of what Japanese voice acting sounds like to a native Japanese speaker is how the acting in the Star Wars prequels sounds to us. As in, wooden as fuck. On the flip side, only about 30% of dub voice actors are even remotely bad, so English dubs have a way, way higher batting average.

That's what I've been assuming for awhile. That's why the subs vs dubs debate often seemed silly to me, tbh. Preferences are one thing, but the idea that English dubs are shit because one heard a few shitty dubs is stupid.
Sep 23, 2016 8:04 AM

Jun 2015
Im all for dubs.
It takes the edge off having to read and watch.
AT the SAME TIME!
but in my country, the dubs are crappy [somewhat] recycled pinoy angrishu dubs. bcoz animax.

and it gets annoying whn azuman's chiyo has the exact same voice as FT's Happy. they dont even bother with a bit a variation.

But I haz glown use to it
Sep 23, 2016 8:25 AM

Feb 2010
It's natural for a lot of poeple to prefer and want to experience the original version of any medium, if somehow possible. Subs are the best option for audiovisual media if that's your preference. Quality of the translation/dub is often not even a factor for people like that. Things always get lost in translation so even considering that already requires some sort of willingness to compromise in that regard. Only people who are willing to do that will then start to factor in quality and other factors in their decisions and opinions. That's when things start to get subjective. Aside from perceived quality of the voice acting there are other factors like what version was experienced first, the decisions of the translators (localizing a lot, or sticking closely to the original for example), how adequate each language is for the setting, personal preferences in VAs, etc...

As for conversations sounding fake compared to actual conversations, that's not limited to anime. Most movies, series, even books will use a language and pace that's not a 100% accurate representation of reality. Things are more deliberate because everything is constructed from the start. That's not an issue, that's normal as far as I'm concerned. If you want 'real', improvised dialogues in anime then you can watch Peeping Life or Naria girls where you don't really have this 'scripted' feeling to the same degree.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 23, 2016 9:09 PM

Jun 2013
The reason why I don't particularly enjoy English dubs is because I feel that the Japanese dubs are more of the "original". It is vastly different to me and perhaps because with English as my native language, special movies e.g. in One Piece (Rubber Rubber Jet Gatling?) just sound anything but cool. It's hilarious and a little "lame" to me.

On the contrary, I am fine with cartoons LOL. I guess the translation does make things a bit more awkward.
Sep 23, 2016 9:41 PM

Nov 2012
The anime community tends to have an unhealthy obsession with source material and original author/intent, often failing to realize that just because something comes from the source doesn't instantly mean it is flawless / beyond improvement. This is a bias in the community not exclusive to dub criticisms in particular, but nonetheless because of this mentality it is automatically assumed that dubs are inferior simply because they don't sound like their original seiyuus, regardless of any of their actual merits.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 24, 2016 5:46 AM
Aug 2016
I'll never fucking understand why so many people think just about all dubs are bad.
KazumaKuzuryuOct 7, 2016 2:08 AM
Sep 24, 2016 9:55 PM

Jun 2009
Sonicfanx1 said:

Let me bring up an example of a good "English dub". You guys may protest, but I'm talking about the voice acting when I say "English Dub".

Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

DBZ Abridged has some of the best voice acting/English Dub for an anime that I know of.

DBZ Abridged is a fan series. It's not a real English dub.
Sep 24, 2016 10:09 PM
Aug 2016
It's a "real" English dub, it's simply not an official one. It was literally dubbed over in English.
Sep 24, 2016 10:10 PM

Sep 2016
Maybe. Some are, some are not. Depends on the cast of voice actors completely.
But I do enjoy subs more. Japanese VA's are usually better at what they do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

11 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
27 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

36 by Miyamotodex23 »»
15 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

14 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
22 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

122 by BigBoyAdvance »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.